ADVERTISEMENT

Grapple at the Garden, 2017 version

matter7172

Sophomore
Nov 14, 2012
I believe people here had wondered about this year's Grapple. I'm not an insider, but you did hear from me first that the event would be much different and much scaled back from prior years. It is.

https://www.msg.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Grapple-2017-Schedule-v1.pdf

One mat, only 4 D1 teams (Princeton, Virginia Tech, Hofstra and George Mason) and in the Theater rather than the Garden proper. Apparently (only a rumor, but a fairly credible one), ill feelings about a certain fanbase objecting to MSG as a site for future NCAA tournaments was the cause of the shift.

Quite a disappointment from my perspective. It had been going a little downhill with team representations, but it was still a great event. Now? Not so much.

I don't understand why, in this day and age, Iowa has so much sway over this stuff. F them. People are on the coasts, MSG is an amazing forum for the national tournament, as is Philadelphia, as would be an occasional West Coast tourney. The idea that it has to be in the middle of the country to help their visibility is total bull.

Reactions: Leonard23
I don't understand why, in this day and age, Iowa has so much sway over this stuff. F them. People are on the coasts, MSG is an amazing forum for the national tournament, as is Philadelphia, as would be an occasional West Coast tourney. The idea that it has to be in the middle of the country to help their visibility is total bull.

The NCAA tournament at MSG was spectacular, IMO.

I totally agree with both of you. It's ridiculous that Iowa folks complaining MSG or Philly is too hard to get to and too expensive for them should get ANY traction with the NCAA. The tournament doesn't exist to make it easier for them every single season. It should move around. I'd like to see it on the west coast someday or back in the south. Those are areas where college wrestling needs some help, not to mention it makes things more interesting than having it in St. Louis practically every other year.

Even the Iowa people that went to MSG had great things to say about the tournament being there.

Last edited:
MSG was great. I can understand a little complaint about ny because it is expensive and difficult to park yada yada. Philly would be even better now since xfinity live opened a short walk from the stadium. Fact is there is a whole lot of wrestling fans within an 8hr radius of philly. For it to be out in the Midwest year after year is bullshit. Philly and New York are just much better more interesting cities than any of the usual sites in the Midwest. St Louis as a city blows. If your gonna travel to see nationals shouldn't it be in a place that also has things to see as a tourist?

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
MSG was great. I can understand a little complaint about ny because it is expensive and difficult to park yada yada. Philly would be even better now since xfinity live opened a short walk from the stadium. Fact is there is a whole lot of wrestling fans within an 8hr radius of philly. For it to be out in the Midwest year after year is bullshit. Philly and New York are just much better more interesting cities than any of the usual sites in the Midwest. St Louis as a city blows. If your gonna travel to see nationals shouldn't it be in a place that also has things to see as a tourist?

There is Rumor that The Arena in the Meadowlands will be reopened for events along with the new American Dream or whatever it is called. That could be a nice destination for it instead of it being physically in New York City.

Reactions: RU62
There is Rumor that The Arena in the Meadowlands will be reopened for events along with the new American Dream or whatever it is called. That could be a nice destination for it instead of it being physically in New York City.

That's a tough one. Between sessions is terrible at that location. You would spend half your time getting to your car, leaving the Meadowlands and then reentering the parking and the arena. I did it in 1984. If Iowa people bitched and moaned about hopping on a subway for 5 minutes in Philly ...

Reactions: obrats
That's a tough one. Between sessions is terrible at that location. You would spend half your time getting to your car, leaving the Meadowlands and then reentering the parking and the arena. I did it in 1984. If Iowa people bitched and moaned about hopping on a subway for 5 minutes in Philly ...

The big difference is now you will have a mall of American sized entertainment complex attached to the arena. Complete with ski slope,indoor water park, legoland, and tons of food options. Between retail and entertainment it is almost 2 million square feet

Last edited:
The big difference is now you will have a mall of American sized entertainment complex attached to the arena. Complete with ski slope,indoor water park, legoland, and tons of food options. Between retail and entertainment it is almost 2 million square feet

If it ever happens. The curse of Jimmy Hoffa repels it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: demauroj
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT