ADVERTISEMENT

Here’s what a Joe Moorhead pursuit would cost

Call em how I see him. Sadly, I watch way more college football than a human should and have watched his Miss St. team closely. Nice little coordinator NOT a head coach. But folks can actually watch him themselves the rest of this season and decide if I'm right.

I'll support whoever they hire, but I'm not crazy about Moorhead. I do see Ash parallels with him - re: good coordinator but maybe not HC material. Although he does have HC experience, unlike Ash.

for me, Moorhead has been and is my # 1 candidate...he checks off all the important boxes for me:
--offensive coach with success at multiple stops...and style that is modern, and has worked in outdoor football in NE
--NE ties, at Fordham and as PSU OC
--head coaching experience, including at P5

That written, I dont' know how he is at recruiting, but I think that can be helped by staff he brings in...

I think going 5-7 or 6-6 at MSU helps us...

This is why waiting is important...
He was also OC at UConn

Moorhead is 11-8 overall, 3-3 this season and he is on the griddle at MSU?

As RU fans do we even understand that way of thinking? RU would be extending him right now.

Miss State fans, who are insane, are demanding that he beat the big boys of the SEC. Which ain't happening at a place like Miss State. Read the football scoop article, it explains the whole deal.

For me, Moorhead, Jones and Schiano are my top 3.

I don't even have anyone else.

So, you agree SEC fans are insane, including those at Tenn who got stuck with a loser instead of GS? Competent ADs, while not being tone deaf, ignore fans who want the 2nd coming of Lombardi and hire who they think will win games.

Moorhead is 11-8 overall, 3-3 this season and he is on the griddle at MSU?

As RU fans do we even understand that way of thinking? RU would be extending him right now.
Um he's going to finish the year with many more losses and won't make a bowl. He also underachieved last season. You want someone who's is Miss St's trash for the most important hire in RU history? Insane!

Joe Moorhead seems likely to welcome leaving Mississippi State for Rutgers
https://fansided.com/2019/10/17/joe-moorhead-seems-likely-welcome-leaving-mississippi-state-rutgers/

Moorhead seemed like an odd fit for Mississippi State from the start. His coaching career had been strictly in the Northeast before taking the job, with success in the Bronx as head coach at Fordham (his alma mater) and becoming a key recruiter in the region when he was at Penn State.

Why do you keep bringing up Ped St? Which he only owes his success to Saquon. He's a HEAD COACH now and we are hiring for a HEAD COACH.

"Moorhead earned a reputation as something of an offensive guru, with two years as offensive coordinator at Penn State before taking the job at Mississippi State. But they were 10th or worse in the SEC (68th or worse in the country) in scoring, total and passing offense last year, and things have been a little worse so far this year (94th in the country in total offense; tied for 82nd in scoring offense)."

I guess reality doesn't matter for you Moorhead jock sniffers huh?

silly reasoning--he was hired for about $3mill a year (and with guarantees)--some people smarter than you or I about the guy's qualifications obviously felt he was worth it and by the way i'll leave it up to those with the actual power to hire to make the decision who to hire

Just like the guys at Michigan, Miami, and Tenn who offered GS the job? Doing "average" at RU in the Big East and given RU's history means you have a very high probability of success if given all the tools. You must understand that. Maybe not.

So does that mean that Flood would still be here if Barkley went to Rutgers?

PSU had some guys who knew how to block. RU skipped out on that whole aspect of recruiting. But, yes, Barkley would have been a 1st round pick out of RU due to his performance. Lower than he was, but still high. Do you know what a football looks like sir?

Uconn sucks, what did he did with them......oh... that was when they won the Big East went to the BCS game...

Come on now stupid. UConn ran a plain vanilla clock killing offense under Edsel. He won the year WVU/L'ville/RU were down. And got killed in the bowl. Unlike RU in 06 when L'ville lost one game and WVU ended up in the top 10.

A friendly reminder that nothing about Moorhead at Ped St. even matters good or bad. He's been a HEAD COACH at Miss St. for almost two years now and our hire is for HEAD COACH. There is a HUGE difference between being a coordinator vs. HEAD COACH, remember?

Moorehead is far from a slam dunk based on his performance at MSU. MSU is not remotely similar to RU in football. Moorehead took over an MSU team that had only one losing season in the past 8 years under Dan Mullen, who left for a better job at FL. Moorehead took over a team that that include two top-20 and one top-30 recruiting classes from the prior regime, and yet he had one more loss than Mullen had the year before Moorehead's arrival. More importantly, he is struggling this year so far with losses to a downtrodden TN team and a Kansas State team that is 0-2 thus far in the Big12. There is no telling whether he can succeed implementing the complete overhaul/turnaround that is required at RU, who will likely only have 2 wins in the past two seasons.

Moorehead is far from a slam dunk based on his performance at MSU. MSU is not remotely similar to RU in football. Moorehead took over an MSU team that had only one losing season in the past 8 years under Dan Mullen, who left for a better job at FL. Moorehead took over a team that that include two top-20 and one top-30 recruiting classes from the prior regime, and yet he had one more loss than Mullen had the year before Moorehead's arrival. More importantly, he is struggling this year so far with losses to a downtrodden TN team and a Kansas State team that is 0-2 thus far in the Big12. There is no telling whether he can succeed implementing the complete overhaul/turnaround that is required at RU, who will likely only have 2 wins in the past two seasons.
Exactly. Good to see someone with common sense on here.

Nice article in the Athletic about Joe Brady, the PSU GAs and Moorhead's time with him as his mentor. Another dream...hire Moorhead we outbid LSU for Brady as our OC lol. He's technically passing game coordinator there, de facto OC IMO, but I'd guess if any threat comes along they'll Aranda (2.5M) him lol.

From the article:

Many were surprised Moorhead didn’t hire Brady when he took the Mississippi State job last season. Others thought if LSU didn’t hire Brady this winter, Mississippi State surely would have.

It’s a close relationship, the kind that Moorhead went out of his way in Monday’s press conference to bring up before he was even asked. Moorhead has pictures in his phone of his son, Donovan, with Brady at a Saints-Steelers game when Brady got them tickets to see their favorite team.

Shortly after Brady joined LSU, where he’s built an offensive juggernaut in just nine months, Moorhead was asked if he’d have any advice for Brady about coaching in the SEC.

“I don’t want to give him too much advice because he’s an SEC rival,” he joked.

“He and I, our relationship extends beyond the fact we’ll be playing each other. I hope always, whether it’s now or down the road, if he ever has an opportunity to get back with me I’ll be a sounding board for him and somebody he can look to for advice.”

Cmon man, please. Saquon was a generational rb. Had zero to do with Moorhead. Now please answer my question - WHERE IS HIS OFFENSE THIS YEAR!?
Saquon was the starting RB in 2015. He was a great college RB, no question. But he thrived under Moorhead's system. This year Moorhead lost an excellent QB and basically only has a true freshman to replace him. So it may take a bit. But in the meantime, he is averaging 27 ppg against strong competition. And he is bringing in top flight recruiting classes to the #2 football program in the state.

I understand people think GS is the only answer. I think that's dumb, but I understand people who cannot look at the whole GS picture. But Moorhead is an excellent coach. No two ways about it.

Reactions: Knightmoves
My bad for bringing data to the argument. Rant away.
Just to be clear. I don’t really have a strong opinion on Moorhead. I do know penn state football though. Saquan and McSorley were difference makers. Both did a ton themselves irrespective of scheme play calling etc. they improvised constantly. Also the argument that a few extra yards a game indicates anything is just flat wrong. That’s why I chimed in. People using data with no context or understanding. It’s not a rant. You simply have no idea what you are talking about. Not looking for a fight but some example. 2007 rutgers offense has 50 yards more per game than 2008 team. Same OC. Difference was ray rice. Moorhead without saquan and mcsorley doesn’t produce those numbers. Hackenberg sucked. I don’t care if the dopey Jets pissed away their pick. It was an idiotic pick. Anyway we all want the same thing so hopefully they don’t scree it up again.

Just to be clear. I don’t really have a strong opinion on Moorhead. I do know penn state football though. Saquan and McSorley were difference makers. Both did a ton themselves irrespective of scheme play calling etc. they improvised constantly. Also the argument that a few extra yards a game indicates anything is just flat wrong. That’s why I chimed in. People using data with no context or understanding. It’s not a rant. You simply have no idea what you are talking about. Not looking for a fight but some example. 2007 rutgers offense has 50 yards more per game than 2008 team. Same OC. Difference was ray rice. Moorhead without saquan and mcsorley doesn’t produce those numbers. Hackenberg sucked. I don’t care if the dopey Jets pissed away their pick. It was an idiotic pick. Anyway we all want the same thing so hopefully they don’t scree it up again.

And none of it matters anyway because he was a COORDINATOR there not a HEAD COACH. Our job opening is for a HEAD COACH. Something he has proven not to be very good at.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
I wasn't talking about a few yards per game. That was the poster I was replying to. What I said, and I'll stand by it, is that he improved points per game by 11 points. And that is a lot. Now, good players count. No question. But PSU had a second round NFL pick at QB and Saquon the year before Moorhead got there. Moorhead's approach utilized the quality of his players. He's struggling now because he has a kid who isn't ready at QB, after having lost a great QB in Fitzgerald.

"You simply don't know what you are talking about. Not looking for a fight...." That's an odd way of not looking for a fight. My point, and I'll stick with it, is that Moorhead is an excellent offensive mind, and a solid football coach. He was both of those things at PSU.

I wasn't talking about a few yards per game. That was the poster I was replying to. What I said, and I'll stand by it, is that he improved points per game by 11 points. And that is a lot. Now, good players count. No question. But PSU had a second round NFL pick at QB and Saquon the year before Moorhead got there. Moorhead's approach utilized the quality of his players. He's struggling now because he has a kid who isn't ready at QB, after having lost a great QB in Fitzgerald.

"You simply don't know what you are talking about. Not looking for a fight...." That's an odd way of not looking for a fight. My point, and I'll stick with it, is that Moorhead is an excellent offensive mind, and a solid football coach. He was both of those things at PSU.
Coordinator, not head coach. Huge difference.

Saquon was the starting RB in 2015. He was a great college RB, no question. But he thrived under Moorhead's system. This year Moorhead lost an excellent QB and basically only has a true freshman to replace him. So it may take a bit. But in the meantime, he is averaging 27 ppg against strong competition. And he is bringing in top flight recruiting classes to the #2 football program in the state.

I understand people think GS is the only answer. I think that's dumb, but I understand people who cannot look at the whole GS picture. But Moorhead is an excellent coach. No two ways about it.
Incorrect, he has his hand-picked qb transfer Stevens playing from Ped St. Unfortunately, Stevens and his offense has been a complete bust this year.

Incorrect, he has his hand-picked qb transfer Stevens playing from Ped St. Unfortunately, Stevens and his offense has been a complete bust this year.
So lame. He had nothing coming in at QB. That's what he was left with. Stevens was the best transfer willing to spend a postgrad year in Starkville Mississippi.

So lame. He had nothing coming in at QB. That's what he was left with. Stevens was the best transfer willing to spend a postgrad year in Starkville Mississippi.
Really? Ped St. and Moorhead RAVED about Stevens while he was at Ped St. Then acted like he hit the lottery when Stevens chose to transfer to Miss St. Are you Moorhead's PR agent?

Like i said you have no clue. Sorry

Really? Ped St. and Moorhead RAVED about Stevens while he was at Ped St. Then acted like he hit the lottery when Stevens chose to transfer to Miss St. Are you Moorhead's PR agent?
steven was horrendous at penn state. He’s not a quarterback. Everyone except Moorhead apparently and maybe you could see that.

I saw he wasn't much but they still raved about him the entire time he was hiding behind McSorely. The great Moorhead loved him so much to hype up his transfer.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
people would take your posts more seriously if you weren't so overly dramatic.
Awful season = 3-3
Pounded = 10 point loss
worst teams in the country = 2-4
come on man
He's on a mission, lol. MDS

I saw he wasn't much but they still raved about him the entire time he was hiding behind McSorely. The great Moorhead loved him so much to hype up his transfer.
Penn State fans knew he couldn’t play qb. He can run though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT