ADVERTISEMENT

Here’s what a Joe Moorhead pursuit would cost

Why is Moorhead not working out at MSU?

I've read some things, but I'd like to hear the perspectives of his backers.

(He's not at the top of my list, but he's in the top 5.)

Reactions: rimsky

Because he talks too gosh darn fast, the locals can't understand him. He fits as well at Mississippi State as Chris Ash fit here.

Perfect scenario:
Moorhead to Rutgers
Les Miles to Miss State
Chris Ash to Kansas

HC coaching record:

2012 Fordham 6–5
2013 Fordham 12–2
2014 Fordham 11–3
2015 Fordham 9–3

On December 12, 2015, Moorhead was named the offensive coordinator for the Penn State football team. During James Franklin's first two years as head coach (and prior to Moorhead's arrival), the Penn State offense averaged 335.3 yards per game in 2014 and 348.4 yards per game in 2015. While learning Moorhead's offensive system during 2016, offensive output at Penn State improved to 432.6 yards per game.

2018 Mississippi State 8–5
2019 Mississippi State 3–3

He went 8-5 year. However, Miss St fans want a good old boy southern HC. So he is a Northeastern guy and everytime he opens his mouth the hate grows.

He is one of those guys that would be a MUCH BETTER fit here at Rutgers than Miss State. No one in their right mind in NJ will call for him to be replace after going 8-5!!! LOL, if anything we would be calling for him to get extended!

Because sometimes it’s jot a good fit. He did well last year, this year hasn’t been what expected. Regardless, he’s an offensive guru, recruits very well, and is very popular with NJ HS coaches.

I agree that it could be a good fit. I'd like Hobbs to aim much higher at first, but keep him (and Schiano) in his back pocket. And Hobbs should be crunching career numbers as well as conversing with associates of everybody he's considering. No laziness allowed in this search.

Do the research. Make an informed decision.

Barkley was a big factor in the increased offensive production. Big.
During James Franklin's first two years as head coach (and prior to Moorhead's arrival), the Penn State offense averaged 335.3 yards per game in 2014 and 348.4 yards per game in 2015. While learning Moorhead's offensive system during 2016, offensive output at Penn State improved to 432.6 yards per game
Penn State:
2016: 432 yards/game
2017: 460 yards/game
Post-Moorhead
2018: 423 yards/game
2019: 465 yards/game (not into heat of B1G schedule yet)

Mississippi State:
Pre-Moorhead:
2016: 440 yards/game // 30.4 pts/game
2017: 418 yards/game// 32 pts/game
Moorhead
2018: 397 yards/game // 28.5 /pts/game
2019: 376 yards/game // 26.8 pts/game

Don't really see a compelling case either way for Moorhead at PSU or MSU.

moorhead thinks Taking a L is bad in SEC?
Makes you Soul Search?
Wait until he plays a B10 East schedule IF he became HC.
He would be crying all weekend.
https://www.al.com/sports/2019/10/coaching-in-the-sec-is-soul-crushing-just-ask-joe-moorhead.html

“Coaching in the SEC for about a year-and-a-half now in a lot of ways has been a humbling experience,” Moorhead said. “I don’t think you get to this point where I am without a certain level of success, and of confidence, but this game and the SEC, it has a way of keeping you honest.”

Nineteen games.

That’s all it took for Moorhead to sound like a man in over his head and a fanbase to want to turn to the page to someone new. It’s not like Moorhead had never coached big-time football before arriving at Mississippi State, either. He was a very successful offensive coordinator under James Franklin at Penn State, rejuvenating a program to back-to-back 11 win seasons in the competitive Big Ten. He was a hot name after that 2017 season and could have been a player in multiple job openings before taking the Mississippi State job

Reactions: KevH and RU-AGK
Is he going to win over New Jersey high school coaches and players with that record and only a few years at big schools?

Miss State fans, who are insane, are demanding that he beat the big boys of the SEC. Which ain't happening at a place like Miss State. Read the football scoop article, it explains the whole deal.

For me, Moorhead, Jones and Schiano are my top 3.

I don't even have anyone else.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
The challenge with Moorehead is year 1 at MSU is with the prior coach's players.

This year he will probably be around 6-6 with 2 years of his players and 2 years from the prior coach. Remember Flood had a great 1st year in the B10 with a lot of Schiano's players.

Either way, we will get a guy who has head coaching experience and not just a coordinator moving up. We have been burned with Flood and Ash as coordinators moving up.

As a current coach that may be switching schools he also has a recruiting pipeline in place. Kids he has talked to about MSU he can talk to about a new location. There may also be kids in the northeast that didn't want Miss St (as for being too far from home) that may warm up to him at Rutgers.

Moorehead, Schiano, or Jones would all be good choices.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Miss State fans, who are insane, are demanding that he beat the big boys of the SEC. Which ain't happening at a place like Miss State. Read the football scoop article, it explains the whole deal.

For me, Moorhead, Jones and Schiano are my top 3.

I don't even have anyone else.
In no particular order:
Schiano
Jones
Moorhead
Candle
Willie Fritz (unpopular choice, but -- like Candle -- I think he does well with a NJ-centric staff)

I agree that it could be a good fit. I'd like Hobbs to aim much higher at first, but keep him (and Schiano) in his back pocket. And Hobbs should be crunching career numbers as well as conversing with associates of everybody he's considering. No laziness allowed in this search.

Do the research. Make an informed decision.
Who would be much higher?

Reactions: TRU2RU
I think Moorhead is a good offensive coach but those penn state teams were loaded on offense. They are all in the nfl or will be soon.

Would hiring a Mississippi State coach be roughly equivalent to hiring a Michigan State coach? We’d probably all be happy with that. Michigan State is challenged in some facets of the game, but overall a worthy opponent week-to-week.

for me, Moorhead has been and is my # 1 candidate...he checks off all the important boxes for me:
--offensive coach with success at multiple stops...and style that is modern, and has worked in outdoor football in NE
--NE ties, at Fordham and as PSU OC
--head coaching experience, including at P5

That written, I dont' know how he is at recruiting, but I think that can be helped by staff he brings in...

I think going 5-7 or 6-6 at MSU helps us...

This is why waiting is important...

Reactions: JerseyVegas
To play devil's advocate:
We need a guy whose schemes can help close the talent gap against better teams.

MSU folks are screaming that he's underachieved with a pretty good roster that he inherited.

Thoughts..?

To play devil's advocate:
We need a guy whose schemes can help close the talent gap against better teams.

MSU folks are screaming that he's underachieved with a pretty good roster that he inherited.

Thoughts..?

8-4 last year with (4) top-20 wins including #8 Auburn in Year 1. That’s hardly “underachieving.” I’ve been sad, slightly rough start to the season, but still has 5 regular season games to go.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Is he going to win over New Jersey high school coaches and players with that record and only a few years at big schools?
That's my exact same argument against Schiano, too. And it's why I think Hobbs needs to aim higher and only take a Moorhead or Schiano as a fallback position if we can't land someone better.

I think too many of our long-time fans project their wishful thinking, about how any new coach might significantly improve things, onto the mind of a potential recruit. But recruits who have multiple P5 offers, and who are not long-time RU fans, have no reason whatsoever to engage in such wishful thinking.

Instead, recruits will look at concrete things like lifetime record, and if the coach won conference titles or championships somewhere, and the big-time programs at which the coach was successful.

Recruiting is everything to us at the moment. No coach can win with our current level of recruiting. And no player wants to hear a bunch of excuses for mediocre past performance. And we cannot succeed only recruiting in NJ - the coach has to be able to recruit nationally.

So the bigger the name of the new coach (nationally), and the better the lifetime record looks, and the bigger the program that coach had success with, the more likely the recruit is to come to play for that coach.

If Moorhead takes the RU job he will already know all about the B1G East, since he was an offense coordinator at a B1G East school very recently, so he would know what he was getting into.

8-4 last year with (4) top-20 wins including #8 Auburn in Year 1. That’s hardly “underachieving.” I’ve been sad, slightly rough start to the season, but still has 5 regular season games to go.
I agree but he did have 3 first round draft picks and a second rounder.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS

because 25th recruiting class is like 8th in the conference.

When I was reading about them a little while back the impression I got was that he was a little too stubborn sticking with qb Tommy Stevens who came with him from PSU. Stevens has struggled and he didn't want to turn to true freshman Shrader. I don't know how much of a difference that will make but I think Shrader has become the starter now. I think their D was quite stocked with talent last year and Shoop did a good job with it but they've also taken a step back this year.

EDIT: If they want to run him out of there I hope a mutual parting of ways can happen which would cost less than the 2M.

Who would be much higher?
Meyer (for every reason), Jones (more winning), Harsin (more winning).

Try to put yourself in the head of a high-school player (the overwhelming majority of whom are not RU fans and don't spend much, if any, time digging into the details of the backgrounds of all the college coaches out there the way obsessive older sports fans do). Also keep in mind that for high-school kids, the NFL gets a lot more of your attention; many are not likely to be very well schooled on NCAA football coaches.

And further assume you're a recruit with multiple P5 offers. So their perspective is very different from yours or mine. And it's their perspective that matters in terms of recruiting; not ours.

If a prospective coach recruiting you is Meyer, you know probably already know who he is even without being very engaged in college football. With Jones or Harsin and others, you probably head to the internet and start looking them up with the typical attention span of any high school boy.

So who can you look up online and instantly feel excitement about the stats posted there? Who, from examining their lifetime record and achievements, screams "winning coach"? Because, if you're a good athlete who is naturally competitive, winning is a huge deal. And because you're a kid that would rather be out chasing girls or hanging with your buddies, you aren't going to have a ton of patience for sifting through excuses, even very good ones, for why any particular coach failed to win a lot.

I'm not greatly familiar with all the coaches out there who are available, or who may become available at season's end. But I think our recruiting situation is such that we need a huge name (of which there aren't many and we probably won't spend that much), or a resume that speaks (quickly) for itself. So if I'm Hobbs, I get the search firm to identify who those guys are and I focus on them first.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT