ADVERTISEMENT

Hobbs working on 4 year deal for Stringer

"In some ways Coach has created such a high level of expectation, I don't know if people completely understand just how difficult it's been to sustain it with the lack of resources she's been given,'' Hobbs said, alluding to the long struggle to arm the basketball programs with the kind of practice facility her Top 25 rivals possess. "We're in the process of putting those resources in place. She's a Hall of Fame coach already and she's only a few wins (29) shy of 1,000 for her career.

This team made the NCAA tournament last year where in the second round they had to face UCONN. They were scoring more and playing exciting basketball. Last year was disappointing, but there were other things at play that really affected what we saw on the court. All the players had to adjust to a completely new coaching staff and Coach Stringer missed significant practice time tending to her dying mother. How you can say this program is doomed is really crazy to me. Khaleah and Rachel were picked 7th and 13th in this years WNBA draft. Tyler in early projections is a top 5 pick. We have seen glimpses of what KK, Parker and to a lesser extent Harris can do. If those three improve and others improve this team will be alright next year.

Another poster in another thread mentioned that Stringer was essentially on a year to year contract and that she would receive another extension that offered her some stability. I'm glad that Pat Hobbs thinks she can get the program back to where it was or close to where it was with all the right tools in place. Recruiting is a dirty game and you have to believe that other coaches were using her contract against her on the recruiting trail.

Expect a very Rutgers friendly contract and help RU Athletics image , one that has been tarnished badly just before Hobbs took over.
The positive press gained by signing CVS and her being so close to 3000 will give Rutgers the kind of positive exposure that it hasn't seen for years.
Usually RU would shoot itself in the foot when given a chance like this.

Look at it this way, forgetting how bad the MBB program was under him,:
When Eddie Jordan was hired a feel good story about him coming home to restore RU MBB
to respectability after the Rice fiasco could have been a plus PR wise.
But then it was found out Eddie didn't graduate from Rutgers or any other University and that became the story and another negative against Rutgers instead of the positive that his hire could have been.
Hopefully Hobbs will be keeping the PR gun empty until he's sure RU's feet and toes are protected before announcing Rutgers and C.Vivian Stringer are extending their relationship .

Vivian's quest for 3000 will be great exposure for RU and a great recruiting inducement to the talented HS players that might want to be part of a once in a lifetime event.

Once again, AD Hobbs proves that he gets it. Gets it Big Time.

I'd love to have seen what CVS could have done here with better facilities and resources over the past 5-10 years. I've had my questions about her offense over the years and her recruiting as of late, but I'm sure the lack of these things (facilities and money for the program) made her job harder than it needed to be and easier for others to recruit against her.

I don't have an issue with another incentive-laden contract. I just want to see progression on the hardwood, and this season will be a challenge. Let's see what Kind of team we field.

A question for you women's hoops experts did she ever donate like the other coaches and AD $50,000 to the new practice facility. I only ask, because I don't remember hearing her name mentioned in all the articles I read as giving anything. I know Jordan did and he got fired.

Last edited:
A question for you women's hoops experts did she ever donate like the other coaches and AD $50,000 to the new practice facility. I only ask, because I don't remember hearing her name mentioned as giving anything. I know Jordan did and he got fired.

Every coach at Rutgers has donated to the build fund. Pat Hobbs mentioned it in ine of the press conferences that he had.

Every coach at Rutgers has donated to the build fund. Pat Hobbs mentioned it in ine of the press conferences that he had.
Thanks, I figured she did especially being one of our highest paid coaches and the new facility would directly help the women's program. Just didn't hear her name mentioned along with Hobbs, Ash and Jordan as giving $50,000. Must have been a slight oversight.

Reactions: KingHigh
Thanks, I figured she did especially being one of our highest paid coaches and the new facility would directly help the women's program. Just didn't hear her name mentioned along with Hobbs, Ash and Jordan as giving $50,000. Must have been a slight oversight.

Even flood donated in a way. She should join the party. The movement helps her as much as anybody

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT