ADVERTISEMENT

How big an impact the NFL boycott will cause today?

As to the OP, Yahoo illustrated that in-person attendance was slightly up. And for the record, college football has had a lot of declining attendance, so it's not all about this. But there is so much of this I don't get.

The flag is NOT owned by veterans, the federal government, or the Republican Party. It is ALL of ours, and short of throwing it on the ground, burning it, etc., I fail to see this "disrespect" crap of which you speak. The whole idea of playing the anthem before a sporting event is preposterous and reeks of the Hitler Youth or something.

You know how many players knelt the week before the ignorant blowhard in the White House opened his ugly mouth? Six. SIX. You people are seriously going to stop watching football games because six people out of a couple thousand knelt, which you couldn't see on TV anyway? Seriously? You're going to blame the entire league for not handing those evildoers over to the torch-wielding mobs? What do you propose the NFL do with the small handful of protesting players, and how would they do it without looking like a bunch of racist rich guys?

Look, I never understood the protest in the first place. Our police are not nationalized, which means police brutality has zero to do with the flag. But after Trump opened his mouth, the larger protests were over the right to protest and not about the protest itself. And, to nobody's surprise, they have greatly simmered down again.

I know the feelings of the "patriotic" types are real. But, to my mind, they are incredibly misguided, ironically un-American and, well, pretty damn foolish.
^^THIS^^

Reactions: BLewis1968
Of course it's related to the quality of the team. Ask half a dozen guys in Philly if they are watching Eagles games this year. It's the primary focus of conversation in every corner.
Not only watch every Eagles game, but now watch all the other games around the league. So instead of watching one game on Sunday, our house is watching 3-4. There was a boycott?

In this area, no one but Phily fans seem to be interested in the NFL anymore. hmmmmm, wonder why that is? Around the country, Miami, Indy, Giants, Cowboys, Oakland, Denver, Packers, Bears, 49'res are giving their fans nothing. Seahawkds just lost their fan's favorite player.

Only NE(who most fans are just tired of), Pitt, NO, Phily-(who outside of their immediate area, excite no one,) are doing anything...I tried to just keep to who are most likely the teams that are the face of the league.

Bottom line- it is the product on the field causing this as well as saturation. Could we please go back to a Monday night game and everyfuxing else play on Sunday at either 1 or 4. If the Giant's and Jet's were both 6 wins or better, not a damn person in this area would give two shats about any of the other stuff.

We should be talking more about why these military spectacles continue at these NFL games. This isn't North Korea. Yet for years, our tax dollars have been going to the NFL to promote this partnership between the military and the NFL and use the military as a PR tool. It's disgusting. Had these over-the-top displays not occurred all these years, the players wouldn't have seized on the anthem to get attention, and the rubes wouldn't be in meltdown mode as the president uses the issue to further his divisive rhetoric. The NFL deserves everything it gets.

In this area, no one but Phily fans seem to be interested in the NFL anymore. hmmmmm, wonder why that is? Around the country, Miami, Indy, Giants, Cowboys, Oakland, Denver, Packers, Bears, 49'res are giving their fans nothing. Seahawkds just lost their fan's favorite player.

Only NE(who most fans are just tired of), Pitt, NO, Phily-(who outside of their immediate area, excite no one,) are doing anything...I tried to just keep to who are most likely the teams that are the face of the league.

Bottom line- it is the product on the field causing this as well as saturation. Could we please go back to a Monday night game and everyfuxing else play on Sunday at either 1 or 4. If the Giant's and Jet's were both 6 wins or better, not a damn person in this area would give two shats about any of the other stuff.
To try and totally eliminate the national anthem as a factor would be biased.

You make valid points, but let’s be honest. Dems are gonna point elsewhere and GOP’s are going to say it’s all the national anthem. In reality, it’s probably a little bit of both.

That's exactly what happened to the Yankees. Idiots on the board earlier were complaining on the board how expensive tickets were and they were giving them up. They were expected to lose but when they started winning the fans jump back onboard. If Rutgers was winning, the stadium would be full.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Where do I get the updates on which businesses I'm supposed to boycott because they boycotted the NFL because some players boycotted the Star-Spangeled banner?

In a nutshell

Funny, the only morons who see racism everywhere are the true racists.

Haven't watched a single down all year, done!

We aren't talking everyone and everywhere. We are talking about people that see it on the street, the backyard, driving, walking, etc and it certainly isn't seen by everyone.
It also has nothing to do with how much money or how you present yourself. It isn't all about getting shot or tased. I know many of you will argue that you have black friends you hang out with who act respectful and while out with you, you have never seen them singled out or being singled out...Think about that statement for a while.You may even say, you have had this conversation with them and they tell you that they never see it themselves. Yeah, that is what he just told you. hmmmmm would be more interesting to hear what he has to say when sitting at the dinner table with his family or if he were hanging out with his other black friends.

You may not like that the protest is taking away from your fun of watching NFL or feel that it is disrespectful. I am ok with both. But when you sit there and say there isn't a problem, then you are an idiot or worse.

Donations to what? Just to show he has no clue what they are protesting about.

The causes rhey chose. He said he would match their donations to the causes. You’d expect there to be a windfall of donations. There weren’t.

Taking a knee and disrespecting the flag and military is easier than actually doing something that really matters.

Whatever it is appears to be such a grave issue you’d think there’d be a massive amount of funds being donated by these players. But there isn’t.

Phony protest that half of these guys can’t even give a straight answer to as to why. It’s the worst protest in history. Never has one turned more people off to a supposed cause.

I’d like to thank them though. The NFL is stale. Not watching games has been great. So much else to do.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Man, I told myself when I saw this thread that I was just going to ignore it but it just get me worked up...Sorry for posting so much. Think I've said enough. Gonna let it go now.

We aren't talking everyone and everywhere. We are talking about people that see it on the street, the backyard, driving, walking, etc and it certainly isn't seen by everyone.
It also has nothing to do with how much money or how you present yourself. It isn't all about getting shot or tased. I know many of you will argue that you have black friends you hang out with who act respectful and while out with you, you have never seen them singled out or being singled out...Think about that statement for a while.You may even say, you have had this conversation with them and they tell you that they never see it themselves. Yeah, that is what he just told you. hmmmmm would be more interesting to hear what he has to say when sitting at the dinner table with his family or if he were hanging out with his other black friends.

You may not like that the protest is taking away from your fun of watching NFL or feel that it is disrespectful. I am ok with both. But when you sit there and say there isn't a problem, then you are an idiot or worse.
Oh please, the statistics don't support your argument. we're u equally outraged at a black comedian who called Trump a cracker? bet u werent....

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I look at it this way...would you rather live in a country where patriotism is forced upon you and free speech is suppressed? Sounds like North Korea to me.

The problem is these protests have gotten way more attention than they deserve.

Well, you guys got the front-running SJ one-time PSU poster^^^ on your side..so, you lose.
Hmmm.. sad to say I agree. We can disagree on the true state of race relations in this country versus the propaganda.. but where The Cult is invoiced? hmm.. it is like Putin endorsing Trump. While someone might never vote for Hillary.. and hold their nose and vote for the other guy.. that Putin support just ain't right.

Explain to me why most Asians I know are succeeding in this country and not running around screaming racism.

Some cultures are willing to sacrifice today for tomorrow. Others are looking for instant gratification.
Just so we're clear which cultures are the lazy shiftless ones?

It may very well be that the Houston Texans would rather suffer through Tom Savage standing in the pocket, taking sacks and throwing pics the rest of the season than suffer through whatever consequences that the signing of an anthem-kneeling Colin Kaepernick would bring.

I take no exception to the issues of inequality that are being dicsussed. They are real, and should be adressed. I am, however, somewhat piqued at how the media constantly misreads things. The last election was a pretty good example. (please, I have no skin in this part). What I refer to this time is the nature of the fan backlash. Quite a few people where I work (hospital) don't consider the gameday protests a free speech matter. Here is why: Every day hundreds of millions of people go to jobs where they are told what to do, and what they cannot do. In addition, they are informed of things they may not do even when they are not at work. Things that could result in suspension or termination. My employee hand book is pretty thick.

NFL players are at work on gameday. They are employees. Their employers absolutely have the right to tell them not to protest at work. The owners have not universally done so, but they have the right to do it. So I know quite a few people who agree with the issues, but are annoyed by the free speech angle the media keeps touting, when the players are employees who do not have the right to do anything they want while at work. No more than do employees at the hospital where we all work. This is why many people I know are tuning the NFL out. They have no problem with the issues, but see NFL players as well paid but spoiled employees who think they can do anything they want at work, while the rest of us do not have that luxury. You may think this a strange mind-set, but I am encountering it more and more. But the media, of course, most likely will never talk about this. Even though they cannot do or say anything they like while at work. (Please note the recent ESPN suspensions).

Explain to me why most Asians I know are succeeding in this country and not running around screaming racism.

Some cultures are willing to sacrifice today for tomorrow. Others are looking for instant gratification.

I’m curious how many Asian friends you have, and how often you discuss racism against Asians with them ? Ask about the glass ceiling in corporate American that keeps Asian from reaching the very top, or how the emphasis on diversity actually hurts Asian students admissions to top colleges (I.e., colleges think there are too many of them already), or how Asian woman are portrayed by media, or ... or lots of other things. Assuming you really do have Asian friends, you are not listening very carefully ... just like you are not listening to the NFL payer protesters.

Reactions: RUChoppin
I take no exception to the issues of inequality that are being dicsussed. They are real, and should be adressed. I am, however, somewhat piqued at how the media constantly misreads things. The last election was a pretty good example. (please, I have no skin in this part). What I refer to this time is the nature of the fan backlash. Quite a few people where I work (hospital) don't consider the gameday protests a free speech matter. Here is why: Every day hundreds of millions of people go to jobs where they are told what to do, and what they cannot do. In addition, they are informed of things they may not do even when they are not at work. Things that could result in suspension or termination. My employee hand book is pretty thick.

NFL players are at work on gameday. They are employees. Their employers absolutely have the right to tell them not to protest at work. The owners have not universally done so, but they have the right to do it. So I know quite a few people who agree with the issues, but are annoyed by the free speech angle the media keeps touting, when the players are employees who do not have the right to do anything they want while at work. No more than do employees at the hospital where we all work. This is why many people I know are tuning the NFL out. They have no problem with the issues, but see NFL players as well paid but spoiled employees who think they can do anything they want at work, while the rest of us do not have that luxury. You may think this a strange mind-set, but I am encountering it more and more. But the media, of course, most likely will never talk about this. Even though they cannot do or say anything they like while at work. (Please note the recent ESPN suspensions).

But if the NFL and the employer permit it, then is it not a free speech issue?

Last edited:
Reactions: yesrutgers01

Agreed on no free speech, but if the employer doesn't make/enforce rules then where's the problem? That ball's on the NFL's field' why be mad at the players?

It may very well be that the Houston Texans would rather suffer through Tom Savage standing in the pocket, taking sacks and throwing pics the rest of the season than suffer through whatever consequences that the signing of an anthem-kneeling Colin Kaepernick would bring.

I imagine the Texans players (or inmates if you are a DB like their owner) would want ownership to do whats best to win games. While CK is average at best, he did have a 4:1 TD to INT ratio last season and a plus 90 PB rating.

Meanwhile...

I'm not going to touch the flag kneeling issue. Already stepped in that one far too many times.

Just going to say that personally, my viewing habits have changed. I'm spoiled by HBO & Netflix and find that I can no longer stand commercial breaks and football happens to be one of the worst offenders.

Literally DVR it or just have it on in the background. I can't just sit on the couch for 3, 4 hours anymore.

And I say this as an Eagles fan with an exciting, first place team.

Reactions: FanuSanu52
First of all, nobody should really care whether a handful of athletes stand, kneel, sit or pump a fist during anthem. I am sure Trump does not care either, but he did succeed in reviving a protest that was essentially over this season with Kaepernick out of the league.
Trump also succeeded in riling up his base (which includes some racists and some neo-nazis) to get all patriotic and angry about the millionaire protesters. It was a non-issue until Trump made his stupid comments, basically daring players to kneel, so some here on this board and around the country could get mad again. And a few clueless and/or racist folks could try and argue that there is no such thing as racism. The kneeling is fading away again but Trump supporters are still angry. Trump tricked you again. Go figure

The owners absolutely don't have the right to force the players into making a show of government allegiance. If the owners didn't first ask the players to stand, then there would be no way for the players to refuse; i.e., no way to protest. Standing for the anthem is NOT a part of the players' jobs.

If the owners want the right to FORCE the players to stand, then they have to come to agreement with the players' union.

The owners absolutely don't have the right to force the players into making a show of government allegiance. If the owners didn't first ask the players to stand, then there would be no way for the players to refuse; i.e., no way to protest. Standing for the anthem is NOT a part of the players' jobs.

If the owners want the right to FORCE the players to stand, then they have to come to agreement with the players' union.
I agree, a lot of this has to do with the agrement with the players union. I don't really know if the owners could force them to stand. What is part of an emloyees job and what is not depends on what was negotiated with any given union. Non union emplyees have a lot less lattitude.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
First of all, nobody should really care whether a handful of athletes stand, kneel, sit or pump a fist during anthem. I am sure Trump does not care either, but he did succeed in reviving a protest that was essentially over this season with Kaepernick out of the league.
Trump also succeeded in riling up his base (which includes some racists and some neo-nazis) to get all patriotic and angry about the millionaire protesters. It was a non-issue until Trump made his stupid comments, basically daring players to kneel, so some here on this board and around the country could get mad again. And a few clueless and/or racist folks could try and argue that there is no such thing as racism. The kneeling is fading away again but Trump supporters are still angry. Trump tricked you again. Go figure
Why do you believe that the only people who are angry are Trump supporters?
I’m curious how many Asian friends you have, and how often you discuss racism against Asians with them ? Ask about the glass ceiling in corporate American that keeps Asian from reaching the very top, or how the emphasis on diversity actually hurts Asian students admissions to top colleges (I.e., colleges think there are too many of them already), or how Asian woman are portrayed by media, or ... or lots of other things. Assuming you really do have Asian friends, you are not listening very carefully ... just like you are not listening to the NFL payer protesters.
This does not just hurt Asians as many white males are also denied in the name of diversity. Is that racism also?

I think, not sure, if the owners took a stand when Colin Kaepernick first started his kneeling protest they wouldn't have had any trouble with the union because of what's in the NFLPA contract with the NFL.
Then letting a few , at the beginning of this season, protest during the anthem
without attempting to stop it, gave the players past practice rights when Trump made a big deal out of their kneeling and set the stage for more of the players protesting than were doing it before.

Remember , the owners an cut any player they want, but have to abide by their salary cap and individual contract they have with the player they cut.
With Kaepernick out of the league I feel the protesting would have gradually died out , but Trump's involvement made more players decide to protest that wouldn't have before Trump made it an issue and ignited his supporters to object to the protest and act like the protesting was unpatriotic.

The players are in a Give Me Liberty mode because Trump is using his supporters and others to hate the protesting and not take a look at what it's really about .
Many of Trump's supporters and others against the protest because of what they were led to believe try to claim the players aren't explaining what their protesting, even if they said repeatedly what it's about.
The players have stated “We will not stand for the injustice that has plagued people of color in this country.Out of love for our country and in honor of the sacrifices made on our behalf, we unite to oppose those that would deny our most basic freedoms.”
But Trump supporters ignore that and when told why shrug and say: "What injustice" because for them injustice ended when the civil rights act was signed in 1964. Every complaint about injustice since the Civil Rights Act is unwarranted because there are laws protecting the rights of minorities and some minorities are making an issue of injustice being part of the way some police deal with them where no issue exists and those minorities are trying to be treated special..

Okay so just so I’m clear. Now we need to be aware of not going over board with diversity because it’s hurtful to Asians because it’s more difficult for them to get into colleges now?

JFC my head is spinning.

My friends and I don’t have discussions about this crap, because it’s crap. We all work hard. We have fun together going out. We enjoy each other’s company.

As to the OP, Yahoo illustrated that in-person attendance was slightly up. And for the record, college football has had a lot of declining attendance, so it's not all about this. But there is so much of this I don't get.

The flag is NOT owned by veterans, the federal government, or the Republican Party. It is ALL of ours, and short of throwing it on the ground, burning it, etc., I fail to see this "disrespect" crap of which you speak. The whole idea of playing the anthem before a sporting event is preposterous and reeks of the Hitler Youth or something.

You know how many players knelt the week before the ignorant blowhard in the White House opened his ugly mouth? Six. SIX. You people are seriously going to stop watching football games because six people out of a couple thousand knelt, which you couldn't see on TV anyway? Seriously? You're going to blame the entire league for not handing those evildoers over to the torch-wielding mobs? What do you propose the NFL do with the small handful of protesting players, and how would they do it without looking like a bunch of racist rich guys?

Look, I never understood the protest in the first place. Our police are not nationalized, which means police brutality has zero to do with the flag. But after Trump opened his mouth, the larger protests were over the right to protest and not about the protest itself. And, to nobody's surprise, they have greatly simmered down again.

I know the feelings of the "patriotic" types are real. But, to my mind, they are incredibly misguided, ironically un-American and, well, pretty damn foolish.

Taking your comment at face value that you don't get a lot of this, I can explain much of it. The underlying problem is not really the protests in and of themselves. It's just part of a larger context, and the protests are just a focal point. The issue is that these claims of a racist society (embodied by several things, at this point mostly the police) is not held to higher scrutiny. When most of these protesting players are interviewed, most reports do not challenge any of the viewpoints or opinions of the players. They are basically just accepted as fact, without any real examination or critical analysis. The players also aren't held to account when the basis of their protests turn out to be wrong (in the case of the "hands up" protest by the Rams a few years ago).

If the protesters would face the same scrutiny as everyone else, and the chip just fall where they may, then a lot of people wouldn't have a real problem with it. When a special effort is made (like with the media) to actively support and promote the protesters, and not fairly analyze their viewpoints, many people get frustrated.

Reactions: RU-Nation

Why is it just assumed as fact that everyone that disagrees with the anthem protests must be a Trump supporter? Also, it's not like everyone did not have an opinion on the protests before Trump commented on them. It's amazing to me how worked up Trump haters get every single day. I could say more about the left (which includes some racists and some communists) and their hysteria of everything Trump but I'll leave that for another day.

There are numerous factors, as have been mentioned that people are tuning out the NFL more. Saturation, teams sucking, a fair point was made about protesting while on the job, etc. Another reason, is that over the last couple of years, politics and society drama has burrowed it's way into every facet of our lives. It's everywhere. Sports has always been a diversion, a way to escape from the day to day minutiae of our lives and put all the politics and other crap to the side for a couple hours as we cheer on our teams. But even this line has been blurred as social commentary has permeated into the numerous talking head sports shows and onto the field as with the protests. People are just tired of it. Plain and simple. I'm not saying athletes are only allowed to play and not have opinions, but the fact is, you make something that was fun before into more political drama, it has to be expected people will tune out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT