ADVERTISEMENT

How much will we miss 2 guys?

zappaa

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Montclair NJ
Last year we were very tough under the basket.
We lost a huge physical presence.
And another who had great body control, multiple ball fakes, and a pretty much unstoppable reverse lay up.

Can we survive in B1G conference play with our two big men?

We lost to Fordham and got taken to OT by Columbia with those guys.

When I'm watching the games I'm not thinking "dang, if only we had Omoruyi and Johnson." I'm thinking "dang, I thought Harper and McConnell would be better from 3-point range this year."

And another who had great body control, multiple ball fakes, and a pretty much unstoppable reverse lay up.

I thought this post was about nostalgia for an old department store chain.

Seriously though, I have the same concern. I think they'll definitely be missed / have been missed in the early going. How the squad and coaching staff adjusts remains to be seen.

Doesn’t look like it. Painfully thin up front and getting very little production on both ends at times. And we haven’t been faced with foul trouble yet. We needed another big body and didn’t get it.

Last year bigs didn't factor into the OOC slate early. Carter barely played and Doorson gave what he could defensively.

Would I like to have Eugene as a go to low post scorer or person to go to, vs Myles Johnson or Shaq Carter today?? Absolutely, there's no doubt he's a better post offensive player.

The question is whether the OOC games of Drexel, Niagara, Bryant matter in the evaluation of what this roster needs to compete against in the B1G etc....it's whether our bigs can handle or offset Nate Reivers of Wisconsin twice, Matt Paarms of Purdue twice, Jon Teske of Michigan twice, Garza, Wesson, Tillman, Oteru....Giorgi and Kofi at Illinois....the Maryland bigs twice.....those are tough matchups with or without Eugene....we don't hold an advantage trying to ask 6'6" Eugene to outmaneuver those bigs, but we at least have a forward that can pull them away from the basket in Yeboah, who can score from 3.....you give up something to get something.

My point still remains the same...in order to make a NCAA run next year (it wasn't going to happen this year with him as your 1st option on offense) this roster needed Eugene out of the way, where he's slowing the development or growth of Harper and others to become accustomed to leading. It is a longer term viewpoint vs November of 2019.....and the longer the program continued to lean on Eugene as it's 1st offensive option, the more likely this roster wasn't going to reach it's potential next year.

If Eugene was in a reduced role, off the bench for 12 to 14 minutes a game, I could have seen a team-centric place that Eugene keeps Carter to a reduced role....and again, no one knows when he would have broken down physically. There are too many variables that don't support the team dynamics working.

It’s hard to say we miss a guy who graduated, and another guy who didn’t want to be here.

The answer is that we can survive and thrive by winning in a different way — by scoring more. The shooting has only been evident in one of our first three games, but you can see that we’re capable of scoring more than last year’s team.

That said, I agree that we’ll need to see more from our bigs — Myles, Shaq and to a lesser degree Doucore. I also wouldn’t hesitate to give Nathan 2 minutes to give us that big body we had like Doorson — to defend, give fouls and rebound without making mistakes.

I don’t understand why Doucore has taken minutes from Carter. We need to see more of Carter to draw any conclusions. Doucore will not be helpful in the Big10.

Have you guys ever thought maybe, just maybe Head Coach Steve Pikiell knows himself that we have a shortage of big men and especially experienced big men, and so he’s saving the few we do have from doing too much in the cruddy OOC games as to save their legs/injury risk for the gauntlet we will face in B1G schedule?

Going to vote no here. Not looking good. It was a big red flag going in, and more of a red flag after 3 games.

Agree on the concern. I knew we'd miss Eugene, but I'm also thinking Shaq might be missed more than we thought - wasn't a great scorer, but he altered what offenses could do and he rebounded. I think the only way we do better than last year is if we shoot better than we've been doing, since I don't think we'll be as good defensively or with rebounding as last year.

Seriously though, I have the same concern. I think they'll definitely be missed / have been missed in the early going. How the squad and coaching staff adjusts remains to be seen.
Yes I too remember Two Guys from Rutgers.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevH
While I agree our bigs haven’t been our strength through 3 OOC games, I’m not ready to panic. While we were accustomed to tough play and a big rebounding advantage the last 2 years, we were also playing a slower paced more methodical game. That alone addresses some of the early differences. But the real comparisons should come once league play starts. We will see fewer zones, and more opportunity for big-on-big play. In these OOC games it is sometimes like watching Japanese Zeros swarming a bomber. Quicker smaller guys with quick hands harassing the post. Let’s just see what happens in league play before drawing too many conclusions.

We lost to Fordham and got taken to OT by Columbia with those guys.

When I'm watching the games I'm not thinking "dang, if only we had Omoruyi and Johnson." I'm thinking "dang, I thought Harper and McConnell would be better from 3-point range this year."

Well, I was thinking both of these things.

In particular (and I posted this in the live game thread), I feel like we lacked toughness (mental and physical) without Eugene, and lacking eye of the tiger. There was nothing like the Eugene scowl and chest thump. Yeah, I know this is very subjective, but there is just something "missing" from this team. Johnson, Carter, and Douc lack the "gravitas" and presence that Eugene had.

In particular (and I posted this in the live game thread), I feel like we lacked toughness (mental and physical) without Eugene, and lacking eye of the tiger. There was nothing like the Eugene scowl and chest thump. Yeah, I know this is very subjective, but there is just something "missing" from this team. Johnson, Carter, and Douc lack the "gravitas" and presence that Eugene had.

I feel exactly the same way.

Reactions: bac2therac
Have you guys ever thought maybe, just maybe Head Coach Steve Pikiell knows himself that we have a shortage of big men and especially experienced big men, and so he’s saving the few we do have from doing too much in the cruddy OOC games as to save their legs/injury risk for the gauntlet we will face in B1G schedule?

Bingo.

NJ1962_1500.jpg

Well, I was thinking both of these things.

I sat directly behind the bench last year for a half dozen games, Doorson was huge, the kind of large that’s impressive when you’re 3 feet from him, just getting around him had to be difficult, Eugene was built like an NFL tight end.

Reactions: bac2therac

No. We're talking about consistently missed layups, any semblance of a post-move, etc.

PS: I'm not asking for Olajuwon here.

Half the people on this board have no idea what your 'department store chain' comment means. Just like I have no idea what people are talking
about pertaining to movie dialog and song lyrics.
Anyway, questioning what are we going to do without X, Y or Z is usually answered by ' we'll get along fine'.
Example, Ohio St, "How will we do without Haskins?". Answer. Just fine, Thank You.

Half the people on this board have no idea what your 'department store chain' comment means. Just like I have no idea what people are talking
about pertaining to movie dialog and song lyrics.
Anyway, questioning what are we going to do without X, Y or Z is usually answered by ' we'll get along fine'.
Example, Ohio St, "How will we do without Haskins?". Answer. Just fine, Thank You.
Ya think?
Pretty simplistic, I hope you right.
“A Red Hot Poker”
Sorry

Kev I miss 2 Guys. I miss EJ Korvettes. I miss Robert Hall. I miss Howard Johnsons .. I miss 2 area codes. I miss RU winning football games.
Loved going to Two Guys with my dad in the late 60s/early 70s. And in reference to Robert Hall, my parents took my brothers and me there once a year to get a new suit to wear on the first day of school. Always hated that back then — we were the only kids who wore a suit to school on those first days (and never wore them the rest of the year besides church on Easter or Christmas, unless there was a wedding or funeral). We took a lot of crap from our classmates for that suit thing, but those are all good memories now.

Reactions: bossnj1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT