ADVERTISEMENT

Hyatt - career game

Scangg

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2016
San Diego
Hyatt gets us 24 and we still lose big to Nebby not a good sign, but if Hyatt can continue to step up it would be huge for us getting wins moving forward

He still turned down a lot of potential shots IMO

He also scored effectively attacking the rim. If Paul isn't going to attack and get into the lane, someone has to

There’s a great argument for Mag/Hyatt instead of Mag/McConnell before Mag got hurt.

McConnell is having his second worse season offensively (which is saying something) with an efg% so low only reiber (also over praised by board) Simpson and miller are worse this year. Bleak.

This team needs offense. Even if we had it on the roster I’m not sure Pike could find it. Down 9 tonight and we go with Jalen Miller. Never climbed back.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Finally we let our best 3 point shooter shoot threes. Only took Geo and Ron graduating and Mag going down injured to let it happen

Now we need to let Cam fire away too. Nebraska missed more threes than us. We don’t shoot the 3 enough this year the Big Ten is a 3 point conference

Reactions: RW90
It's gotten to the point where I want us to get the ball to Hyatt every time. Just have no confidence in anyone else. Including at the foul line (Caleb & Paul both missing one and ones.)

Caleb and Paul look gassed, no bench, no breathers, they’ve hit a wall. Missing FTs is a tell tale sign of this. Physically and mentally drained can’t focus
There are no 21 year olds gassed by having to play a game every 3 or 4 days. Hell, they'll get almost 96 hours in between games this week. If they arent fully recovered, there's probably a medical issue. I think "gassed" is usually just an excuse for playing poorly. The fact is, our upper classmen aren't delivering when we need it most. Iowa won the B1G tourney playing 3 games in 3 days hitting shots all over the court. Our guys cant handle 2 games in 4 days?
Difficult to believe that is the issue.

He shot the ball well and I agree he passed up several looks that with the benefit of hindsight he should have been taking given the performance of the rest of the team on that end. But like others on this team, for now this performance must be considered as an outlier until proven otherwise. These guys can all have their moments and the problem is the difference between their floors and ceiling is just too wide. Still drives me crazy that he can't finish taking it to the rim in transition.

Our players are always gassed and have tired legs but other team's players are fine. It's a strange argument people constantly make
Take a lap and a plank. Do some burpees too.

Please rewatch the 1st of half of the Maryland game. Go watch a few defensive possessions of Jacob Young at Rutgers and then a few at Oregon.

Do NOT compare the energy level we play with (normally) with other teams.

after tonight, i do not think its fair to say Hyatt is our worst defender
who is off the Top 6 players currently in the rotation. Hyatt's defense suddenly doesn't improve because he knocks down perimeter shots. He doesn't get more rebounds (2).

We have a defensive problem right now. Mag goes down. Instead of plugging Hyatt in Mags spot on our press he puts Spencer and Mulcahy. We have Nebraska trapped in a corner past half court and the player goes past Hyatt on the out of bounds side.

We were bad defensively up and down the roster. Hyatt is still most nights the weak link.

who is off the Top 6 players currently in the rotation. Hyatt's defense suddenly doesn't improve because he knocks down perimeter shots. He doesn't get more rebounds (2).

We have a defensive problem right now. Mag goes down. Instead of plugging Hyatt in Mags spot on our press he puts Spencer and Mulcahy. We have Nebraska trapped in a corner past half court and the player goes past Hyatt on the out of bounds side.

We were bad defensively up and down the roster. Hyatt is still most nights the weak link.

Not last night and the goal was to win last night not score style points.

Hyatt is the LEAST of our issues right now

There are no 21 year olds gassed by having to play a game every 3 or 4 days. Hell, they'll get almost 96 hours in between games this week. If they arent fully recovered, there's probably a medical issue. I think "gassed" is usually just an excuse for playing poorly. The fact is, our upper classmen aren't delivering when we need it most. Iowa won the B1G tourney playing 3 games in 3 days hitting shots all over the court. Our guys cant handle 2 games in 4 days?
Difficult to believe that is the issue.

Think interpreting sloppy as fatigue is definitely a good call. Last night was a complete mess.

I always had a good feeling about Hyatt. A lot on this board said he was a liability. Is he Ron? No but he needs to start. Sprinkle in the two other guards and we will be o.k.

Reactions: ScarletDave
The game plan by Hoiberg was brilliant and looks genius when and works even better when you hit 74% from 2 point range and 12-28 from 3 point range and 58% overall.
He countered the press by bringing another guard Lawrence up the middle and then Walker the center up the side. This is where we miss Mag the most and we miss him in many spots. His trappings , deflections , speed and recking havoc or being a 1 man press is not duplicated by Caleb and Cam or Paul and Derek or Caleb and Derek. Pike should have switched to a 1/3/1 press that would have taken away the middle pass and the outlet to the center and forced them to throw lobs deep. We only got about 2-3 turnovers last night from the press.
Hoiberg’s half court offensive game plan was also brilliant. Spread us out so we cannot double team or dig down and then let Walker pass to the guys coming off screens and pin downs Keisei and Wilcher . If a team is hitting their shots they will be hard to beat. We hit a few baskets in a row and they kept on hitting a three on the next trip which killed us over and over again. Then Walker drove on Cliff or had deep position because Cliff refuses to deny the ball to the post or is in drop down coverage and he cannot defend to get the block 9 times out of 10. Pike ‘s adjustment is that he has to demand Cliff deny the post or front the post because good luck trying yo lob it over Cliff.

Reactions: FIJI'83
Not last night and the goal was to win last night not score style points.

Hyatt is the LEAST of our issues right now
Our primary issue right now is defense.

Sorry to call you out, but it is very shallow to view things under a lens of who is hitting shots.

Why is the corner 3 open? Nebraska is selling out to double Cliff.

I am happy Hyatt is making the shots. It is a flaw that 3/5 of the lineup won't and shouldn't take the shots Hyatt is hitting.

It comes back to defense. On most nights he is the weak link. Last night the whole chain had issues.

Reactions: Loyal-Son

Sorry to call you out, but it is very shallow to view things under a lens of who is hitting shots.

I am happy Hyatt is making the shots. It is a flaw that 3/5 of the lineup won't and shouldn't take the shots Hyatt is hitting.

It comes back to defense. On most nights he is the weak link. Last night the whole chain had issues.

Rutgers would have lost 80-30.

Our defense blows because collectively the team was soft as overcooked broccoli and our coach was absolutely clueless in game prep and adjustments

Reactions: RutgersNo1
Rutgers would have lost 80-30.

Our defense blows because collectively the team was soft as overcooked broccoli and our coach was absolutely clueless in game prep and adjustments
Maybe our team right now is overcooked broccoli, especially Paul, Cliff and Caleb.

Game Prep? that is such a weak answer.

Adjustments? Pike tried every combination. He was screaming at his players. He was on his team from the beginning.

We talk about the 5 stages of grief.......you are between anger and bargaining. Get to Stage 5.

This team has warts. We are unbelievably thin. We have played incredibly hard for 3+ months. The 3 captains have played a lot of minutes and it is obvious, at least to me, you can see a difference physically and emotionally. We are a terrible offensive team and that isn't changing.

The GOOD NEWS.....
go back and look at the last 3 years. All NCAA tournaments (I am counting COVID). All 3 years there have been multiple periods like this. Every time we snapped out of it. Every time most fans lost hope.

Pike will go back to work and the lens will be the same as it always is. Defense. Rutgers can lose 62-52, but it can never give up 82 points to Nebraska. Maybe the real number is closer to lower to mid 70s last night if you want to make an adjustment for Nebbie's ridiculous shooting

Reactions: fluoxetine
Maybe our team right now is overcooked broccoli, especially Paul, Cliff and Caleb.

Game Prep? that is such a weak answer.

Adjustments? Pike tried every combination. He was screaming at his players. He was on his team from the beginning.

We talk about the 5 stages of grief.......you are between anger and bargaining. Get to Stage 5.

This team has warts. We are unbelievably thin. We have played incredibly hard for 3+ months. The 3 captains have played a lot of minutes and it is obvious, at least to me, you can see a difference physically and emotionally. We are a terrible offensive team and that isn't changing.

The GOOD NEWS.....
go back and look at the last 3 years. All NCAA tournaments (I am counting COVID). All 3 years there have been multiple periods like this. Every time we snapped out of it. Every time most fans lost hope.

Pike will go back to work and the lens will be the same as it always is. Defense. Rutgers can lose 62-52, but it can never give up 82 points to Nebraska. Maybe the real number is closer to lower to mid 70s last night if you want to make an adjustment for Nebbie's ridiculous shooting

There are no Geo and Rons to save us

The three vets have alot of soul searching to do

Our adjusted offensive efficiency last night was the 4th best (out of 15 B1G games) this year in B1G games. It was our worst defensive game by a large margin. Nothing remotely close in every game this year.

I’m sorry but Hyatt is not a liability on defense. This is a stretch

Indeed it’s not arguable.
So when Hyatt is playing well on the offensive end in a game and Pike closes games with him on the bench Pike is making mistakes?

Is it a conspiracy theory that whenever Hyatt is in the game at the 4 opponents score at a much higher rate than when Mag is in?

When we have the 4 lead our zone press and when Hyatt is the 4 and he doesn't lead the zone press is Pike making a mistake?

We win with defense. This was Pike's best team ever before the mag injury. Was it an incredible needle threading? I think so.

All games through Michigan State did actually happen.

of course we win with defense, where was it yesterday. Hyatt was always our weak link in defense yet last night wasnt about him

So when Hyatt is playing well on the offensive end in a game and Pike closes games with him on the bench Pike is making mistakes?

Is it a conspiracy theory that whenever Hyatt is in the game at the 4 opponents score at a much higher rate than when Mag is in?

When we have the 4 lead our zone press and when Hyatt is the 4 and he doesn't lead the zone press is Pike making a mistake?

how did Paul, Cliff and Caleb do last night with or without Hyatt in the lineup

Ive never seen such a passive defensive performance from a center since Jonny McCrimmon

Yes.
Conspiracy theory? No. Mag is a better defender. Hyatt isn’t a bad defender.
Not enough to determine yet.

Ive never seen such a passive defensive performance from a center since Jonny McCrimmon
I don't know who Jonny McCrimmon is but it seemed like Cliff thought he could block everything last night so he let guys get to the rim and tried to block everything instead of staying in front of guys.
Cliff had 5 blocks, but also gave up a ton of points in the paint.

Others need to take a lap or plank. You need to listen to America's (the band) Greatest Hits to relax or even Air Supply if that doesn't work.

Our defense was bad 1 thru 5 last night.

• Haha
Others need to take a lap or plank. You need to listen to America's (the band) Greatest Hits to relax or even Air Supply if that doesn't work.

Our defense was bad 1 thru 5 last night.

I love yacht rock and will be dreaming of summer as I take my walk as highs soar into the mid 60s

I hope Rutgers finds a heart

Oh, Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have
And 'cause never was the reason for the evening
Or the tropic of Sir Galahad
So, please
Believe in me

There’s a great argument for Mag/Hyatt instead of Mag/McConnell before Mag got hurt.

McConnell is having his second worse season offensively (which is saying something) with an efg% so low only reiber (also over praised by board) Simpson and miller are worse this year. Bleak.

This team needs offense. Even if we had it on the roster I’m not sure Pike could find it. Down 9 tonight and we go with Jalen Miller. Never climbed back.
Careful I mentioned sitting Caleb and get ripped 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT