ADVERTISEMENT

Hyatt Put Back

Good-Knight

All Conference
Jul 21, 2008
The Hyatt non-call was clearly not basket interference. The ball was grabbed away from the rim. I think the only thing that made it look like basket interference was that 3 Wisky players immediately stopped and looked to the ref for a call. (Don't be shocked how often that works.) The rule is: "Touch any ball from within the playing area when it is above the basket ring and within the imaginary cylinder."
That's clear a mud. Obviously picking a ball off the rim is basket interference. What about when the ball is in the air and half of it is outside the cylinder and half inside. My understanding is that you can still poke at the part of the ball not in the cylinder and this happens all the time. In Hyatt's case, the ball is entirely off the cylinder. I know the camera angle is not great and announcers are too eager to back-up a ref, but it is clear from the replay that the ball is not on the rim and that Hyatt grabs it away from the cylinder. Obviously he follows through into the cylinder because it's a put back dunk.
That play was the highlight of my day. It's shows great awareness, effort, and aggressiveness by Hyatt. He turned on the lights when it was his time to shine. I think he if really making a personal effort to make-up for what we lose with Mags down.

In real time I don’t know how the refs got the call right. It was a 50/50 call, and we were owed a call from OSU game so I’m happy about it. Even on Bardo’s slow motion replay, they had to look at it a couple times because it probably wasn’t the best camera angle but it did look like it was outside the cylinder. The ball was definitely off the rim. We’ll take it!!

Last edited:
Initially Bardo said it was a bad call, then after watching the replay he agreed it was a good call. In real time it looked very iffy. TG the ref made the right call. We usually get screwed on these type of calls.
And how about Wahl walking Crawl in the mouth. !

Reactions: tm_nj and red sail
It was deceiving because when you first see his hand up by the ball it’s still in the cylinder however, he only makes contact as it comes out so there was no violation.

How the refs saw it in real time is beyond me considering how many other calls they miss…lol.

Refs don’t typically call put back dunks goaltending. I see a lot of put backs and rarely see the call. Playing the percentages we did not get lucky there. It was a good no call that most refs will not make.

It was incredibly close and perfectly timed by Hyatt. Out in front. Outside of cylinder a buncha wiscy players ball watching.

Hyatt is starting to fill into that mag Swiss Army knife with more scoring. He’s playing D, rebounding and taking his shots within the rhythm of the game. Loving his progression. I thought Cam also had a very strong rebounding game, pulling down some serious boards

At some point the naysayers (there have been several threads ripping both this season) are going to realize that both Mag and Hyatt bring a lot to the game. More of both is a very good thing for RU.

Hyatt is a super hot and cold guy. When he’s on, he’s fantastic. When he’s off, he’s dreadful. Mag is much more in consistent on the offensive end, but his ceiling and floor seem much closer together.

You can probably count on one hand the number of times I've said this in the last 40 years, but I think we got more calls than they did despite it being an away game. Obviously, it was the biggest one.

Was it the correct call? If you guys say yes, that's good enough for me. I don't really know the rule. The ball was above the rim and I'd say without question, it was more than 50% outside the rim and it wasn't going in if Hyatt didn't touch it. So if that's good enough to not be interference, they made the right non-call.

Hyatt is a super hot and cold guy. When he’s on, he’s fantastic. When he’s off, he’s dreadful. Mag is much more in consistent on the offensive end, but his ceiling and floor seem much closer together.
Horrible take. Sounds like you’re still arguing Mag v Hyatt which is dumb. Both have been great for us this season.just stop.

Hyatt finished the game with only 8 points but he had 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks and 0 turnovers in 34 minutes. Only a bucket and a board short of a double-double.

At some point the naysayers (there have been several threads ripping both this season) are going to realize that both Mag and Hyatt bring a lot to the game. More of both is a very good thing for RU.
Agreed with this. Would’ve loved to see how this team played with a few games of Hyatt and Mag starting and McConnell playing the strong 6th man role.

Horrible take. Sounds like you’re still arguing Mag v Hyatt which is dumb. Both have been great for us this season.just stop.
The opposite actually, both are used interchangeably but are very different types of players.

It was the right non-call.
Still shocking the baseline play against OSU and possible goal tending is not reviewable in the last 2 minutes, or anytime for that matter.
Rule makers actually decided getting it right in the last 2 minutes is not important.

You can probably count on one hand the number of times I've said this in the last 40 years, but I think we got more calls than they did despite it being an away game. Obviously, it was the biggest one.

Was it the correct call? If you guys say yes, that's good enough for me. I don't really know the rule. The ball was above the rim and I'd say without question, it was more than 50% outside the rim and it wasn't going in if Hyatt didn't touch it. So if that's good enough to not be interference, they made the right non-call.
if any part of the ball is in the cylinder above the rim, it's goaltending. I thought it was goaltending, and the video angle they showed most from behind the glass without the depth wasn't useful. It doesn't matter if the ball is bouncing away and has no chance to go in. So, I agree we got more than our fair share of favorable calls, including that one. That's how the cookie crumbles. In our favor this time.

Reactions: LeapinLou
The rule is: "Touch any ball from within the playing area when it is above the basket ring and within the imaginary cylinder."
That's clear a mud. Obviously picking a ball off the rim is basket interference. What about when the ball is in the air and half of it is outside the cylinder and half inside. My understanding is that you can still poke at the part of the ball not in the cylinder and this happens all the time
The rule as written in the Ncaa rule book is much clearer then that. It says
“basket interference occurs when: 2. A player touches the ball while any part of it is within the cylinder that has the ring as its lower base.”

So the ball needs to be 100% out of the cylinder to be touched.

Certainly not definitive but it looked to me that there was still a small portion of the ball over the rim. I do agree that most refs let this go.

The top angle is a little deceiving bc it's not directly above the ball. It's directly above the backboard so it's an angle

The rule as written in the Ncaa rule book is much clearer then that. It says
“basket interference occurs when: 2. A player touches the ball while any part of it is within the cylinder that has the ring as its lower base.”

So the ball needs to be 100% out of the cylinder to be touched.

Certainly not definitive but it looked to me that there was still a small portion of the ball over the rim. I do agree that most refs let this go.
Stan...I thought there's a difference between goaltending and basket interference, which is grabbing the rim or net during a shot attempt or when the ball is on the rim by the defense. No ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT