ADVERTISEMENT

If the 32 team NFL can have a 12 team playoff,why can't the NCAA have a 48 team one?

RUhasarrived

All American
May 7, 2007
Proportionally,it's the same thing.

Using this year's calendar,a 6 week tournament can played starting on Dec.30 and ending on Feb.3,the Saturday before the Superbowl.

The first round would see the top 16 teams get a first round bye,with the remaining 32 teams playing.The higher seed would get home field in the first two rounds.

Then,the top 15 current bowl sites would host games,with the top 7 sites rotating each year in hosting the Championship game.

6 year eligibility would be put into place for all 130 teams to allay injury fears.

Currently,we have only 3 meaningful games.The rest are exhibitions.There could be a NIT type tournament held before Dec.30 for those teams not in the Top 48.

It's likely that one of the top 16 teams will still win,but this system allows for a team wracked with early season injuries to make a late run.

At most,it'll make an 18 game season for 2 teams,a 17 game one for four,and a 16 game one for 8.Right now,bowl teams play 14.

Only the rounds of 16 and 8 could cause some conflicts with the NFL playoffs.The Final Four has clear sailing.

Because the NFL doesn't choose playoff teams by putting a bunch of people in a hotel room and having them vote. Playoff participants in the NFL are based on objective, defined criteria that is based on what happens on the field. Also, NFL teams don't make their own schedules.

Reactions: KevH
This isn't the NFL and the players aren't professionals.

Why would you potentially want teams with losing records in the playoffs? Why even have a regular season?

Fans expected to travel to neutral sites week after week?

NCAA and schools would balk at having playoffs go into a new semester.

I think you'd see a number of big time players eyeing the NFL refuse to participate.

The tickets for the neutral site games could be sold in the same manner as they are for the basketball tournament.Besides,TV viewers are the thing.Actual attendance is secondary.The opt out by many is a good point.

Because they aren't paid and we should limit their exposure to danger without some sort of reward. And it would have to be significant. Seems we should shorten the regular seasons if we want to extend the playoffs and allow teams to play some more if they're not in, like two other tournaments with the bowls being hosts.

giphy.gif

The tickets for the neutral site games could be sold in the same manner as they are for the basketball tournament.Besides,TV viewers are the thing.Actual attendance is secondary.The opt out by many is a good point.

Basketball's first two rounds are Thur and Sat or Fri and Sun at the same site. With football there's a week between rounds 1 and 2 plus with your idea they could be playing one game in El Paso and the next in Orlando.

Fans in the seats do matter.

6 Team playoffs(all P5 champs + 1 Wild Card picked by the Committee) or 8 team playoffs (5 P5 Champs; 1 G5 Champ and 2 wild cards)

Winning your damn conference should mean something....

If its a power conference, yes. Can do without the G5 champ. UCF this year is the exception not the norm. I like the 8 team idea and if a G5 school is worthy of a wild card bid so be it. But no G5 should have an auto bid. In fact they should probably have their own playoff.

This isn’t college basketball where there are a million D1 schools. This isn’t the NCAA tournament that celebrates the small school pulling the upset. This is major college football trying to determine who the best team is. Again I personally think G5 should have its own playoff.

Last edited:

Using this year's calendar,a 6 week tournament can played starting on Dec.30 and ending on Feb.3,the Saturday before the Superbowl.

The first round would see the top 16 teams get a first round bye,with the remaining 32 teams playing.The higher seed would get home field in the first two rounds.

Then,the top 15 current bowl sites would host games,with the top 7 sites rotating each year in hosting the Championship game.

6 year eligibility would be put into place for all 130 teams to allay injury fears.

Currently,we have only 3 meaningful games.The rest are exhibitions.There could be a NIT type tournament held before Dec.30 for those teams not in the Top 48.

It's likely that one of the top 16 teams will still win,but this system allows for a team wracked with early season injuries to make a late run.

At most,it'll make an 18 game season for 2 teams,a 17 game one for four,and a 16 game one for 8.Right now,bowl teams play 14.

Only the rounds of 16 and 8 could cause some conflicts with the NFL playoffs.The Final Four has clear sailing.
Because the NFL athletes are paid millions of dollars college athletes aren't that's why

The only bonus college athletes get a is that they get to beat their bodies up another 3 weeks while increasing the chances of injury preventing them the opportunity to play pro ball...its a pretty easy concept to follow

Reactions: Caliknight

Morning drinking...I like it...keep up the crazy talk...I enjoyed the satire...

12 teams would be ideal with the top 4 conference champs getting the bye

Playoff week 1 - seeds 5-12 playing on campus
Playoff week 2 - quarter finals playing on campus
Playoff week 3 - semifinals (Dec 31 and Jan 1)
Playoff week 4 - championship

This would allow the champs from the power 5 plus best champ from the other conferences to qualify plus 6 wildcards (pretty much the 2nd place teams in the power 5)

the downside is the 5th best team can be playing 16 games total vs 14 in today's world. If a top 4 teams wins it all they play 15 games.

Dumbest idea/question in awhile on here. People just love to show how stupid they are!
Nothing is changing for almost 10 years so please stop with this nonsense.

Reactions: JCKnight
I think you would find one Cinderella school every year that is outside the usual power/contenders list that should qualify for a spot. Many would agree that the current system is clearly biased and programmed to eliminate that school. For me, this would make a slightly expanded group past four a lot more interesting.
Each of the recognized power conferences champion should be an automatic somewhere in that mix.

I like the 4 game playoff format because it ensures that the regular season is critical. Every one loss team is essentially playing a playoff game for the remainder of the season (since 2 loss teams will most likely not make a 4 team playoff).

You get into a 8 or twelve team format and a 2nd regular season loss isn’t devastating.

Reactions: miketd1
The teams most likely to win would have at least 5 weeks off before they play their first game,giving time for all but the most serious of injuries to heal.

A 16 team playoff would probably be optimal only if the Superbowl were moved to March,playoffs in February,leaving January for the 16.

No it doesn't. Makes it worse.
How? win your division and you're in the playoffs. Win your conference title and you're in the final 4, all areas of the country are represented. It's a novel idea, win and you're in.

How? win your division and you're in the playoffs. Win your conference title and you're in the final 4, all areas of the country are represented. It's a novel idea, win and you're in.
Because you will have teams play 7 conference games. Be first in division but a bad OOC. But they beat one team who is 11-1 that is left out.

It would be nice if it was more than 4 at least.

But how many people would tune into the first round that would make the TV networks pay enough to make it worthwhile? People will watch every round of the NFL playoffs. I don't think there would be much of an audience for the first round, especially considering you would likely give the top 16 a first round bye. Your most intriguing matchups could be good G5 teams vs mediocre or disappointing P5 teams such as #20 Memphis vs #45 Cal or #25 Boise State vs #40 Arizona State. All first round winners would be the road team in the next round. While I have been critical of committees and polls, I would be surprised if the eventual champion was ever seeded lower than #16.

6 or 8 team playoff and not a single team more. If it goes to 6 teams, then you obviously have the 5 P5 conference winners and add in the 2nd place SEC. Pretty simple formula every single year unless ND has a great year, then they can have the 6th slot instead of the SEC runner up...

8 Teams, 5 P5 winners 3 at large with one going to a G5 if that team is ranked number 12 or higher...

8 is the perfect number. This way you get all the P5 winners in plus 3 others. I would love to see a G5 team get in as the 8th seed and have to go play at a school like Clemson or Alabama. Play the first round games on campus this way if an SEC school gets an at large bid maybe for once they have to play a late season game in the cold. I think it would have been fun this year where as Clemson would play UCF, Oklahoma vs USC, Georgia vs Wisconsin and Alabama vs OSU.

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.

Reactions: WhiteBus
4 conferences of 16 teams, solves all problems.
Actually it creates more problems...you only play 8 or 9 conference games...that leaves 6 or 7 teams you don't play...and may not play them for a decade...what's the point?

It should not be 8 teams with "at larges", because I for one don't like the idea of multiple teams from the SEC getting in, especially if they already played each other. 6 teams is perfect - 5 P5 champs plus best of the group of 5. Top 2 teams get a bye so UCF wouldn't have the same level as Clemson for ex. (they don't deserve it anyway), plus those 2 get the benefit of another week off. So you essentially have your "three" rounds, because the Power 5 conf. championship games are essentially the first round of the playoff. But then you MUST be a conference champion. Dave Wanstadt said it best on BTN Live the other night - if you don't have to be a champ, why even have the games? What's the point of the conferences, standings, etc .. he's right. Once they fix it we're gonna look back on the format of these past couple seasons and say what were they thinking ...

The OP is way too myopic in suggesting a 48 team playoff. Here's my solution to make it truly fair:

DJ Spanky said:
I've always said the only way to make this fair is to shorten the season to 8-9 games, then seed a 128 team bracket based off of ranking and record, and play it through. Wallah! Solves everything! First round, 128-64, would be played at the higher seeded location. Second round, 64-32, would be played at your lesser bowl game locations. Same with the third round. Fourth round would be the more major bowls, then the Quarter Finals, Semi Finals and Finals would be cycled each year through the most prestigious bowls.

Only two things would make this appealing to me: (1) play the games on the campus of the higher seeded team, regardless of the geographic location, (2) make the votes of the selectors visible to the public to see how the voting went.

The NFL plays playoff games at the home field of the higher seed until the Super Bowl. Sell out crowds , even in blizzards, works just fine.

FCS plays playoff games at home field of higher seed until the Final Championship game. Even in blizzards. They get as big or bigger crowds they get all year, works just fine.

I'm not against increasing the number of teams in a playoff, but going to 48 is way too many. The difference between 1 and 12 in college football is bigger then the gap between 1 and 12 in the NFL. Plus with 48 teams, you are talking about putting the 7-5 teams in.

The number of teams in the playoff need not be as high as most of the posters here suggest, once we realize that Alabama gets in every year and gets a bye until the semi-final round.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT