ADVERTISEMENT

If the season is canceled.

RUhasarrived

All American
May 7, 2007
Will we get an option for a refund?Or will they just give a credit for 2021?

The problem with doing the latter is that there are only 6 home games next year.

Would the NCAA allow a 13th game this one time to allow teams to get to 7?

Since no decision on what is going to happen and when why would anyone expect an answer on this beforehand. They will deal with it when it's closer to early summer.

Not going to be cancelled
Most ACC schools have already cancelled summer sessions, I see no scenario that football happens this season. You can’t just expect kids that don’t have access to gyms let alone practice to just start practice in August and get through a season without huge injuries

Reactions: beaced and Kbee3
Most ACC schools have already cancelled summer sessions, I see no scenario that football happens this season. You can’t just expect kids that don’t have access to gyms let alone practice to just start practice in August and get through a season without huge injuries
Link or source for "most ACC schools already cancelled summer sessions"?

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Baseball will be back in June, The NFL, College FB will be fine. Maybe everyone will be a little slower next year. The NCAA is getting paid - especially since they lost out on the hoops tourney $$$. Not sure what's going to happen to NHL and NBA end of season/playoffs. I expect something like abbreviated playoffs between top two teams or something like that.

If we're all still hiding in our houses by July there won't be an economy left to feed us let alone support consumer sports leagues.

Reactions: Leonard23
Baseball will be back in June, The NFL, College FB will be fine. Maybe everyone will be a little slower next year. The NCAA is getting paid - especially since they lost out on the hoops tourney $$$. Not sure what's going to happen to NHL and NBA end of season/playoffs. I expect something like abbreviated playoffs between top two teams or something like that.

If we're all still hiding in our houses by July there won't be an economy left to feed us let alone support consumer sports leagues.

I think if your expectations of the future are based on "the way things are supposed to be" then you may be missing a critical element in your analysis.

The only way we get back to business as usual within six months is to assume that a couple million people will die. That will seriously inhibit "business as usual". The feedback loop is obvious.

I will go out on a limb and assume if the season is cancelled they will make it difficult to get your money back and just give you a credit towards next season. This is what happens in the NFL, for example if the Giants are mathematically eligible for the playoffs at a certain point of the season (might be around week 12 or so) I have to pay for playoff tickets whether they make it or not. If they do not make it they credit my account for the next season. If I do not want to take the credit they is a designate a day that is announced where you have to drive to the stadium and you can get a refund check issued to you between the hours of 12 and 5 or something like that. Everybody I know just takes the credit, so in essence the the Giants have all that extra money to sit on for 9 or 10 months.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Not just athletics but higher education itself in trouble. Enrolments will be cratering if colleges are closed for the Fall. Many small private colleges will fail. Public colleges will need state rescue packages. Only possible winner will be community colleges which may see a bump due to millions of unemployed.

Barring therapeutic breakthroughs I'm worried.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Not going to be cancelled

based on the actions taking by schools this far you have no way of knowing this one way or another.

And it could also likely be the season Is played without fans. Thus the question by the OP is still accurate.

It is not just people hiding in their houses or the economy in general, even in a closed stadium the idea of players, coaches, officials, and sideline personnel interacting in such close proximity to each other and not spreading the virus is absurd. All you need is one kid on one team to test positive and then you have to isolate the entire team and start testing everyone they played and all the personnel who worked any game with them. Unless there is a vaccine there will be no college football. They are also predicting the second wave to hit in the fall, all pandemics come in waves, we are only in the middle of the first wave. There is no guarantee the campuses will be open in the fall, these are not professionals they are not risking the health of kids for your amusement.

It is not just people hiding in their houses or the economy in general, even in a closed stadium the idea of players, coaches, officials, and sideline personnel interacting in such close proximity to each other and not spreading the virus is absurd. All you need is one kid on one team to test positive and then you have to isolate the entire team and start testing everyone they played and all the personnel who worked any game with them. Unless there is a vaccine there will be no college football. They are also predicting the second wave to hit in the fall, all pandemics come in waves, we are only in the middle of the first wave. There is no guarantee the campuses will be open in the fall, these are not professionals they are not risking the health of kids for your amusement.

We shall see.

Article up on the stadium with a survey of most NCAA ADs, https://watchstadium.com/will-there...-2020-athletic-directors-weigh-in-03-30-2020/

Everyone thinks the season is at least 50-50 for the season to happen, however most are still very worried.

Key quotes:
And if there is no college football, a majority of the 130 FBS athletic directors contacted by Stadium predict dire consequences for the sport.

“There better be (a season) or many programs will be out of business,” an athletic director said.

“Quite simply,” added another AD, “it would be devastating.”

Another AD was more direct: “If there’s no season, we will be f*****.”

Look toward the usual suspects for this. If the SEC starts canceling, it does not bode well for the rest of the country. Football is pretty much more important than life itself in Texas. In this scenario, it will actually be putting it before staying alive!

If pigs had wings, would we call them pigeons? It's useless to speculate about what will happen. Let's get through the months first, OK?
It becomes more likely going forward that the season is in jeopardy. It is unfortunate since we are on a roll ... if anything perhaps a 5-6 game schedule by around end September.

Refund?
Guess that depends on the language in Schiano's contract.

On a better question - how do all the tv contracts work?
I'm assuming the BIG is contractually obligated to provide a certain number of games.
If the Networks don't want to pay for games not provided - how does that effect BIG conference revenues and distributions.

It could be bad for long term relationships if the conferences (all of them not just the BIG and also the professional leagues) try to demand TV payouts from ESPN etc. even though games aren't being played.

And if conference/league revenues do drop that effects payouts to the teams (and professional salary caps).

It becomes more likely going forward that the season is in jeopardy. It is unfortunate since we are on a roll ... if anything perhaps a 5-6 game schedule by around end September.

It would really suck for college football to be canceled but I actually think it could help us long term. Schiano would likely lock down 2 strong recruiting classes before we even have to play a game and it gives us more time to find a QB.

Rusty Screw 85 nailed it.

If the season is canceled, that means the following:

Hundreds of thousands of our fellow citizens will have died and will still be dying.

One-third of our citizens will be out of work; a higher percentage than in the Great Depression.

Many of our traditional institutions will be tanking, due to lack of finances.

It will also mean that our federal leadership has completely bundled the management of this disease.

So whether or not a football season occurs will be the least of our worries.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Rusty Screw 85 nailed it.

If the season is canceled, that means the following:

Hundreds of thousands of our fellow citizens will have died and will still be dying.

One-third of our citizens will be out of work; a higher percentage than in the Great Depression.

Many of our traditional institutions will be tanking, due to lack of finances.

It will also mean that our federal leadership has completely bundled the management of this disease.

So whether or not a football season occurs will be the least of our worries.
Non of that needs to be true at all. In fact, that is a worst case scenario mixed in with some Trump hate. All that needs to happen is that we don't have a vaccine, period. The country could be going back to work and small business can be open, but you would still not be allowing for large crowds and asking people to continue to abide by some form of social distancing. Universities will still not want to expose kids to close physical contact where they can spread the disease, also there are officials, sideline workers, trainers, etc, even if you closed the stadium that might be affected. And like I said all you would need is one positive test and you would need to test the whole team, any team they played, and anyone who worked their games or trained with them. That team might then be quarantined, etc. It is not that difficult concept to understand, university administrators will not place young men and women at risk so you can watch a football game on TV. Doesn't mean doomsday for the whole economy and society, far from it.

Non of that needs to be true at all. In fact, that is a worst case scenario mixed in with some Trump hate. All that needs to happen is that we don't have a vaccine, period. The country could be going back to work and small business can be open, but you would still not be allowing for large crowds and asking people to continue to abide by some form of social distancing. Universities will still not want to expose kids to close physical contact where they can spread the disease, also there are officials, sideline workers, trainers, etc, even if you closed the stadium that might be affected. And like I said all you would need is one positive test and you would need to test the whole team, any team they played, and anyone who worked their games or trained with them. That team might then be quarantined, etc. It is not that difficult concept to understand, university administrators will not place young men and women at risk so you can watch a football game on TV. Doesn't mean doomsday for the whole economy and society, far from it.

Nonsense.

This is a highly contagious pathogen. "Some form of social distancing" will not be effective in limiting the spread of the virus. "Some form of social distancing" gets you the worst-case scenario whereby a couple million deaths occur inside the first 18 months.

Reactions: Rutgers25
Nonsense.

This is a highly contagious pathogen. "Some form of social distancing" will not be effective in limiting the spread of the virus. "Some form of social distancing" gets you the worst-case scenario whereby a couple million deaths occur inside the first 18 months.
You are full of it! Another doomsday guy, the fact is that administrators will not be sending kids out to play football if there is a chance of spreading the disease and some kid or official getting terribly sick or dying. That would be the end of his/her career. Administrators will error on the side of safety. Doesn't mean the whole economy is shut down and the world is coming to an end. Ugh!!!

Reactions: Spare130
You are full of it! Another doomsday guy, the fact is that administrators will not be sending kids out to play football if there is a chance of spreading the disease and some kid or official getting terribly sick or dying. That would be the end of his/her career. Administrators will error on the side of safety. Doesn't mean the whole economy is shut down and the world is coming to an end. Ugh!!!

You really don't understand how any of this works, do you?

You have a virus where at least 50% of the people infected are asymptomatic. That means, in your scenario, seemingly healthy people are walking around infecting everyone they come in contact with.

It doesn't take a great deal of math to get to the point where you have a serious problem.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Not just athletics but higher education itself in trouble. Enrolments will be cratering if colleges are closed for the Fall. Many small private colleges will fail. Public colleges will need state rescue packages. Only possible winner will be community colleges which may see a bump due to millions of unemployed.

Barring therapeutic breakthroughs I'm worried.
This is a very good point and it just underscores how many layers there are to this thing after we get through the initial phase of protecting people and saving lives. As for sports, the more I see from this pandemic, the more I think we are looking at a January 2021 reboot of everything. Not full swing, just the start of it.

Reactions: buffalochicken21
You really don't understand how any of this works, do you?

You have a virus where at least 50% of the people infected are asymptomatic. That means, in your scenario, seemingly healthy people are walking around infecting everyone they come in contact with.

It doesn't take a great deal of math to get to the point where you have a serious problem.
You are a clown. You want college administrators to have thousands of kids playing football with referees, sideline personnel, trainers, etc when we in all likelihood will not have a vaccine for this virus. You have obviously never worked within a university system. University administrators will error on the side of caution even when if it means losing a lot of TV $s when it comes to student safety. Doesn't mean the rest of the economy is in shambles and falling apart. My goodness.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
You are a clown. You want college administrators to have thousands of kids playing football with referees, sideline personnel, trainers, etc when we in all likelihood will not have a vaccine for this virus. You have obviously never worked within a university system. University administrators will error on the side of caution even when if it means losing a lot of TV $s when it comes to student safety. Doesn't mean the rest of the economy is in shambles and falling apart. My goodness.

What??

Where the F*CK do you get the impression that I "want college administrators to have thousands of kids playing ball"?

I never said any such thing.

And, dumbass - I actually started my career as a Rutgers employee.

So you're pretty much wrong everywhere.

What??

Where the F*CK do you get the impression that I "want college administrators to have thousands of kids playing ball"?

I never said any such thing.

And, dumbass - I actually started my career as a Rutgers employee.

So you're pretty much wrong everywhere.
What does that mean, you started as a Rutgers employee? There are literally thousands of jobs at Rutgers that have nothing to do with senior positions within the administration. Again, your argument that if the schools cancel the college football season means the country's economy is in a shambles and that the world is falling apart is so stupid and ludicrous that it is not even worth arguing. Just more doomsday dribble.

What does that mean, you started as a Rutgers employee? There are literally thousands of jobs at Rutgers that have nothing to do with senior positions within the administration. Again, your argument that if the schools cancel the college football season means the country's economy is in a shambles and that the world is falling apart is so stupid and ludicrous that it is not even worth arguing. Just more doomsday dribble.

I'm saying that absent a vaccine (not happening within the next 6 months, for certain) there's no way out of this other than to maintain the new normal, ergo football season doesn't happen. And, consistent with what others have said on this thread, another six months of this will guarantee that the economy is in a shambles.

Look, it's obvious you're a Trumper, based on everything you've written. That makes you an idiot, it gains you immediate standing on my Ignore list and means that I'm done with your stupid ass. So don't even bother with a reply, because you're now blocked.

I'm saying that absent a vaccine (not happening within the next 6 months, for certain) there's no way out of this other than to maintain the new normal, ergo football season doesn't happen. And, consistent with what others have said on this thread, another six months of this will guarantee that the economy is in a shambles.

Look, it's obvious you're a Trumper, based on everything you've written. That makes you an idiot, it gains you immediate standing on my Ignore list and means that I'm done with your stupid ass. So don't even bother with a reply, because you're now blocked.
You must be one of the most clueless posters on this board. I am a lib Dem my whole life you moron and worked on Dem campaigns going back to my days as a volunteer on the initial Bradley campaign. The point, and I will say it again for the last time after that you are free to spout your misinformation, college administrators are by their very nature very conservative when it comes to putting kids in any form of danger. That doesn't mean the whole society has shut down and the economy has tanked, it does mean that unless their is a vaccine it is unlikely that they will allow the kids to return to the field for any fall sport, not just football. Again, I am not buying into your doomsday paranoid predictions.

Without a vaccine and already talk of the virus coming back in the fall I don’t see how they allow 50-100k people to cram into stadiums next to each other. My hope is were at a place where the games can be played but without fans. But who really knows now.

Reactions: Kbee3
Just listened to a NY Times podcast that said the most hopeful vaccine is in Germany and that the best case scenario and it is the real deal it will be out the beginning of 2021. When it is mass produced is another story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT