ADVERTISEMENT

If you're not going to donate, you'll just have to be patient

We don’t offer any recruit money to come here. What we use NIL for, as Greg said last week..is to keep guys here
Hmmm. Surprisingly, that makes sense when you don't have the level of NIL to battle against the big boys.

We don’t offer any recruit money to come here. What we use NIL for, as Greg said last week..is to keep guys here

Doesn't bode well for recruiting the 4 and 5 star freshman.

Thanks for the info though.

Does the same Schiano policy stand for transfers? It can't can it?

Once we take care of business and donate the money that will get matched to reach the 1 million I am sure our strategy with NIL will change. It’s quite possible we only give NIL money to kids in the team already. Once we have real NIL money the coaches may now be able to offer the same NIL as other schools offer. Remember the #1 player in NJ this year wanted to come here. He visited a bunch of times and in the end went to Texas A%M because of NIL. Please just get on board with anything that you can because that we get matched and we will be able to recruit better players.

Here is the article and Greg’s quote further down:

Little do many people..enticing a recruit or transfer with NIL money is illegal (though of course many if not the majority of programs do it).

We already need an overhaul of NIL…

Once we take care of business and donate the money that will get matched to reach the 1 million I am sure our strategy with NIL will change. It’s quite possible we only give NIL money to kids in the team already. Once we have real NIL money the coaches may now be able to offer the same NIL as other schools offer. Remember the #1 player in NJ this year wanted to come here. He visited a bunch of times and in the end went to Texas A%M because of NIL. Please just get on board with anything that you can because that we get matched and we will be able to recruit better players.
Change the record already

Change the record already
What’s the problem? In my opinion it’s the only deal going. A dollar for dollar matching fundraiser to get us better football players. If you don’t want to win ignore my posts but you’re another nobody anonymous poster like everyone else. Don’t tell me what to post. I certainly can care less what you post.

What’s the problem? In my opinion it’s the only deal going. A dollar for dollar matching fundraiser to get us better football players. If you don’t want to win ignore my posts but you’re another nobody anonymous poster like everyone else. Don’t tell me what to post. I certainly can care less what you post.
Change the record. Same thing every day. We have heard it enough. This ATM is tapped out and closed. I am in a multi year commitment to the R Fund, probably giving multiples of what you give to NIL. I've got nothing left to give.

Here is the article and Greg’s quote further down:

Little do many people..enticing a recruit or transfer with NIL money is illegal (though of course many if not the majority of programs do it).

We already need an overhaul of NIL…
Thank you for posting this story. Schiano essentially says that NIL doesn't change anything; schools with boosters willing to wave checks at players have always existed. Just as that was against the rules, so too is trying to use NIL to entice players. It's no different. We continue to have to emphasize recruiting kids who have the measurables and who can be developed. Note also that the article puts more emphasis on retaining existing players than on getting recruits.

Change the record. Same thing every day. We have heard it enough. This ATM is tapped out and closed. I am in a multi year commitment to the R Fund, probably giving multiples of what you give to NIL. I've got nothing left to give.
Use the ignore Sir or go complain to the mods. You are using insults when you have no idea who I am. It’s a board rule to not insult. I suggest you follow it.

The title of this thread is "If you're not going to donate, you'll just have to be patient." I think we've now pretty much established that even with donations we'll need to be patient. Donations will shorten the time line by leading to improved facilities and (if the donations go to the collective) better NIL possibilities for players, but no matter what we're going to have to wait for the coaching staff to do a better job of building the kind of offense that will attract players and lead to success.

Not if the accrued donations are used to land superstar players, like what USC was able to do. They installed an offense and watched it flourish in the same season.

Actually everything is done for this season.
So this season, the coaching staff will install the offense. For next season, if we were to acquire a 5* WR and a 5* Tight End, it would get us over the hump, and into the winning column.

Use the ignore Sir or go complain to the mods. You are using insults when you have no idea who I am. It’s a board rule to not insult. I suggest you follow it.
I did not insult anyone. I just said change the record, and we have heard it enough. There is a thread about the current NIL promotion, and I have stayed out of that thread. You keep bumping it. Good for you and that thread. also You have chimed in on multiple threads, and that is your prerogative, just like it is mine to respond. You can use the ignore feature to, or choose to not respond. See how it works? No need to complain to the mods.

On the other hand you jumped in with: "A dollar for dollar matching fundraiser to get us better football players. If you don’t want to win ignore my posts but you’re another nobody anonymous poster like everyone else."

First of all, there is no guarantee that the NIL will get us better football players or it will help the team win. If we don't find a decent OC that can run a functional offense, unfettered, then it is unlikely the team will win more.

Second, you hurled the insults. Not going a long way towards building consensus and getting people on board. Congratulations on alienating potential donors. Great work.

He lost any sane person by saying “with the incoming class we have enough material to be successful on the Offense”. ….. Who in this class ? WTF. Delusional poster .

Ignorant post. Several kids are going to ultimately become impact players. Dylan Braithwaite is going to get an opportunity to impact right away. This could be the best class since the 2005 class which had Ray Rice, who btw, was a 3*.

Not if the accrued donations are used to land superstar players, like what USC was able to do. They installed an offense and watched it flourish in the same season.

So this season, the coaching staff will install the offense. For next season, if we were to acquire a 5* WR and a 5* Tight End, it would get us over the hump, and into the winning column.
You don't know what will happen with the offense. What happened from year 1 of Gleeson to years 2 and 3? It turned into a hodge podge offense. How do we know that will not happen again? It's concerning we don't have an OC named yet and no TE, WR, OL or QB commits from the portal.

I did not insult anyone. I just said change the record, and we have heard it enough. There is a thread about the current NIL promotion, and I have stayed out of that thread. You keep bumping it. Good for you and that thread. also You have chimed in on multiple threads, and that is your prerogative, just like it is mine to respond. You can use the ignore feature to, or choose to not respond. See how it works? No need to complain to the mods.

On the other hand you jumped in with: "A dollar for dollar matching fundraiser to get us better football players. If you don’t want to win ignore my posts but you’re another nobody anonymous poster like everyone else."

First of all, there is no guarantee that the NIL will get us better football players or it will help the team win. If we don't find a decent OC that can run a functional offense, unfettered, then it is unlikely the team will win more.

Second, you hurled the insults. Not going a long way towards building consensus and getting people on board. Congratulations on alienating potential donors. Great work.
Ok use your ignore because it seems that you need it. The anger is silly it’s a message board. Maybe a new hobby and less time online.

How does that work? Does the coach ID a player he wants to the to NIL guys for them to start offering money or does the coach/recruiter offer money himself? Assuming NIL positive coach, not Greg specifically as mentioned above?

That can always be worked out if there is adequate support. There obviously isn’t. Presently the Rutgers NIL organizations support retention.

You have it all wrong. That's not the way it works.

It’s the way it’s always worked in college football. It’s not OSU’s terrific coaching that’s beating our brains in, it’s the talent.
It’s why a Miami team led by 1st year head coach Larry Coker could HAMMER a Nebraska team coached by Frank Solich, a long time Coach.

Reactions: 365Poster24Seven
Ok use your ignore because it seems that you need it. The anger is silly it’s a message board. Maybe a new hobby and less time online.
I have no anger. You seem to have the anger issues, resorting to insults. I actually spent the entire day offline. You seem to offer a lot of unsolicited and unwanted advice. Follow your own advice, and you may be ok. Good luck with your harassment of people to donate to the NIL.

It’s the way it’s always worked in college football. It’s not OSU’s terrific coaching that’s beating our brains in, it’s the talent.
It’s why a Miami team led by 1st year head coach Larry Coker could HAMMER a Nebraska team coached by Frank Solich, a long time Coach.
Then explain THIS YEAR'S Miami Team. Or Texas A&M. Loaded with talent, and neither team went bowling. Coaching and scheme matters. Mike Leach and others proved that over and over.

Then explain THIS YEAR'S Miami Team. Or Texas A&M. Loaded with talent, and neither team went bowling. Coaching and scheme matters. Mike Leach and others proved that over and over.

Just because Miami and Texas A&M paid for talent, doesn’t mean the kids are talented. They may be kids who are overrated. Roughly 50-60% of college football recruits are going to wash out, for whatever reason. Another possibility is that the kids need time to acclimate to this level of competition. Some may have to get used to the increased physicality of this level. Some need to be developed such as getting stronger. Some kids may have to go through a learning curve and demonstrate better attention to detail. Kids can get by with athleticism in high school, but many need to learn technique in college. There are so many reasons why kids may have underperformed, relative to expectations.

Just because Miami and Texas A&M paid for talent, doesn’t mean the kids are talented. They may be kids who are overrated. Roughly 50-60% of college football recruits are going to wash out, for whatever reason. Another possibility is that the kids need time to acclimate to this level of competition. Some may have to get used to the increased physicality of this level. Some need to be developed such as getting stronger. Some kids may have to go through a learning curve and demonstrate better attention to detail. Kids can get by with athleticism in high school, but many need to learn technique in college. There are so many reasons why kids may have underperformed, relative to expectations.
But your entire premise of this thread is basically telling people to pay up or shut up. And now you’re telling us that there’s a 50/50 shot our money doesn’t yield results? Hard pill to swallow, Al.

Yes, talent makes the coaching staff look good.
This offensive coaching staff squandered the talent they had with poor playcalling and generally bad offensive design. RU had a decent RB room and chose to slam a blown up QB turned TE up the middle on predictable meathead wildcat runs. There was a potentially decent WR room, but the talents of those players were squandered by bad QB coaching, poor playcalling, and crappy OL play. Unless these donations are going to pay for better coaching, you might as well set the money on fire.

• Love
Reactions: Knight Shift

Your final paragraph made me laugh. All would be well if we got a 5-star wide receiver and a 5* tight end! And if I had wings, I could fly! You know perfectly well there's no chance of either --we can't even attract a four-star!

You say that "the accured donations" should be "used to land superstar players." What do you have in mind? Paying players to come is against the rules. That hasn't changed in the era of NIL: the schools themselves can't play a role in setting up NIL deals; all they can do is urge their fans to set up those deals.

Do you have any evidence that USC is paying players to come? I would be interested in your presenting that evidence. This site is not allowing me to link a story from bleacher report giving ten reasons why players go to USC -- being paid isn't one of them.

Perhaps all you mean is that those donations at USC are helping to build facilities that make players want to come. That is a good reason why donations are important, but facilities cannot be built overnight, and so it's incorrect to imply that somehow today's donations are going to have a short-term impact. So, no matter what, fans need to be patient. It's incorrect to imply, as you have, that there is a choice between being patient and donating. At most, as I've said before, donating will shorten the period of time in which we have to be patient, but nothing is going to eliminate the need for patience.

Last edited:
But your entire premise of this thread is basically telling people to pay up or shut up. And now you’re telling us that there’s a 50/50 shot our money doesn’t yield results? Hard pill to swallow, Al.
Al's responses summed up:

giphy.gif

1589206235552.gif

With this incoming class, we finally have the enough material to be successful on offense. But these kids are going to need time to develop and you can't accelerate that:
  • OL need to get stronger in the weight room and learn technique, and take repititions so that they make fewer mistakes; we will have a good offense
    when our linemen, especially our Guards, can successfully drive block, and get to the 2nd level, against better teams. This doesn't happen overnight.
  • WRs need to get stronger in the weight room and learn to run good routes, adjust their routes when opponents are blitzing, adjust to the flight of the ball and demonstrate effective ball skills, and most importantly, adjust to the physicality of college football, especially when pressed. This is probably the toughest aspect that kids have to get used to, because they’re used to having a free release
  • Quarterbacks need to better read defenses by watching a ton of film and work on mechanics to ensure better accuracy
  • Need a few tight ends from the transfer portal
Of course, we can accelerate things by acquiring the players that can get us over the hump.
  • 400 people donating $5,000 would give us a warchest of $2M, which would be a good start. this is the minimum of what's needed, imo
If people aren't going to donate, we're just going to have to be patient. Right now, it's looking like 2025 will be our payoff year. Till then, we'll probably perform in a 4-8 to 6-6 range. Though the 2023 schedule is particularly brutal, and we might slip to 3-9, unless kids, like Wimsatt step up and show significant improvement.
Rutgers has NCAA football coach of the year installed in a want-to-be Ivy League athletic culture. Tough lift

Your final paragraph made me laugh. All would be well if we got a 5-star wide receiver and a 5* tight end! And if I had wings, I could fly! You know perfectly well there's no chance of either --we can't even attract a four-star!

You say that "the accured donations" should be "used to land superstar players." What do you have in mind? Paying players to come is against the rules. That hasn't changed in the era of NIL: the schools themselves can't play a role in setting up NIL deals; all they can do is urge their fans to set up those deals.

Do you have any evidence that USC is paying players to come? I would be interested in your presenting that evidence. This site is not allowing me to link a story from bleacher report giving ten reasons why players go to USC -- being paid isn't one of them.

Perhaps all you mean is that those donations at USC are helping to build facilities that make players want to come. That is a good reason why donations are important, but facilities cannot be built overnight, and so it's incorrect to imply that somehow today's donations are going to have a short-term impact. So, no matter what, fans need to be patient. It's incorrect to imply, as you have, that there is a choice between being patient and donating. At most, as I've said before, donating will shorten the period of time in which we have to be patient, but nothing is going to eliminate the need for patience.
Here's a counter to Al's arguments.

Maryland. Competed against Michigan and Ohio State this year and destroyed RU.
Leading Running Back - 2 star:

Leading WR- 3 Star

Productive TEs, both 3 stars:

Another difference maker? Transfer QB from Wake Forest, who filled in when Taulia was injured.

I'm not a betting person, but if I did bet, I would bet the farm that none of these kids are getting NIL money.

Offensive leaders are a 2 star RB and 3 Star WRs and TEs.

#CoachingMatters

I’ll say this again, Al. We aren’t and will never use our NIL money to acquire players.

Here's a counter to Al's arguments.

Maryland. Competed against Michigan and Ohio State this year and destroyed RU.
Leading Running Back - 2 star:

Leading WR- 3 Star

Productive TEs, both 3 stars:

Another difference maker? Transfer QB from Wake Forest, who filled in when Taulia was injured.

I'm not a betting person, but if I did bet, I would bet the farm that none of these kids are getting NIL money.

Offensive leaders are a 2 star RB and 3 Star WRs and TEs.

#CoachingMatters
3 different qb’s taking our first 3 offensive snaps of the season…. But it’s not the coaching, can’t be the coaching.

I agree AL it’s about the Jimmys and the Joes definitely not the X’s and O’s
Yea worked out perfectly for Texas A&M that went all in on NIL last year. They had the most dysfunctional locker room because they spent money on “stars” versus character. They also have the most players in the portal outbound. They succeeded in having mercenaries.

Yea worked out perfectly for Texas A&M that went all in on NIL last year. They had the most dysfunctional locker room because they spent money on “stars” versus character. They also have the most players in the portal outbound. They succeeded in having mercenaries.
Look at the 4 teams in the playoff. Look at them everyear for the most part. What do they all have in common? Top recruiting classes. Let’s see how A&M does next year because one bad year has definitely not stopped that tan base from giving a f$ck. To think it’s about the coaches and not the players shows you do not know football.

Reactions: NickRU714
Look at the 4 teams in the playoff. Look at them everyear for the most part. What do they all have in common? Top recruiting classes. Let’s see how A&M does next year because one bad year has definitely not stopped that tan base from giving a f$ck. To think it’s about the coaches and not the players shows you do not know football.
I suggest your read up on Mike Leach and his book Swing Your Sword. How did Leach and Hal Mumme turn Kentucky around so quickly. How did Mike Leach turn WSU into a perennial winner after being a doormat forever. Also, how did Maryland compete this year with a bunch of 2 and 3 star players on offense? Crickets from you on this.

Rutgers: Can't expect immediate results - especially from freshman. Players need years to develop and produce.

Texas A&M: Look at their bad year!! Clearly all their NIL money was a waste
All those freshman didn't produce a national championship!!

This board never ceases to amaze.

I agree it takes high ranking recruiting classes to have success. But it takes high level coaching to have continued success.

But this thread is about NIL spending to get recruits. The reported teams that went hardest at NIL last year were Texas A&M, Texas, USC, Oregon and Miami. The only one that monumentally improved was USC. The others either stayed the same or had historically awful years.

You do realize many of those A&M NIL recruits have already entered the portal?

Buddy I will put my athletic resume up against yours any day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
So might I kindly remind you that no one had expectations of us beating the blue bloods this year, however there is no possible way you are going to convince me that Maryland is 37-0 more talented than us. You are not going to convince me that Minnesota is 31-0 more talented than us…. Of course having talented players matters, but it’s up to the COACHING staff to put players in the right position to maximize their success.

With this incoming class, we finally have the enough material to be successful on offense. But these kids are going to need time to develop and you can't accelerate that:
  • OL need to get stronger in the weight room and learn technique, and take repititions so that they make fewer mistakes; we will have a good offense
    when our linemen, especially our Guards, can successfully drive block, and get to the 2nd level, against better teams. This doesn't happen overnight.
  • WRs need to get stronger in the weight room and learn to run good routes, adjust their routes when opponents are blitzing, adjust to the flight of the ball and demonstrate effective ball skills, and most importantly, adjust to the physicality of college football, especially when pressed. This is probably the toughest aspect that kids have to get used to, because they’re used to having a free release
  • Quarterbacks need to better read defenses by watching a ton of film and work on mechanics to ensure better accuracy
  • Need a few tight ends from the transfer portal
Of course, we can accelerate things by acquiring the players that can get us over the hump.
  • 400 people donating $5,000 would give us a warchest of $2M, which would be a good start. this is the minimum of what's needed, imo
If people aren't going to donate, we're just going to have to be patient. Right now, it's looking like 2025 will be our payoff year. Till then, we'll probably perform in a 4-8 to 6-6 range. Though the 2023 schedule is particularly brutal, and we might slip to 3-9, unless kids, like Wimsatt step up and show significant improvement.

How does this delayed success coincide with HC Schiano's contract.
You say not to expect results until 2025.

Let's say that's true.
He would only have 2 years left at that point.
Are we offering a contract extension (and raise?) after 1 year of success?

Do we extend him earlier even though we are still "probably perform in a 3-9 to 6-6 range"?
At what point does he need to be extended?
For recruiting purposes. Can any coach effectively recruit on a 2-3 year contract?

How does this delayed success coincide with HC Schiano's contract.
You say not to expect results until 2025.

Let's say that's true.
He would only have 2 years left at that point.
Are we offering a contract extension (and raise?) after 1 year of success?

Do we extend him earlier even though we are still "probably perform in a 3-9 to 6-6 range"?
At what point does he need to be extended?
For recruiting purposes. Can any coach effectively recruit on a 2-3 year contract?

My personal opinion is that he will be extended, right after next season at latest. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it happen this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT