ADVERTISEMENT

If you're not going to donate, you'll just have to be patient

So might I kindly remind you that no one had expectations of us beating the blue bloods this year, however there is no possible way you are going to convince me that Maryland is 37-0 more talented than us. You are not going to convince me that Minnesota is 31-0 more talented than us…. Of course having talented players matters, but it’s up to the COACHING staff to put players in the right position to maximize their success.

Maryland absolutely is 37-0 better than us because they have a future NFL QB while we struggle to complete a forward pass. But thankfully help Is on the way, with Dylan Braithwaite soon entering the fray.

Rutgers: Can't expect immediate results - especially from freshman. Players need years to develop and produce.

Texas A&M: Look at their bad year!! Clearly all their NIL money was a waste
All those freshman didn't produce a national championship!!

This board never ceases to amaze.
Fisher has been there 5 years and in that time their recruiting class ranks are 16, 6, 6, 7, 1. Only last year's number 1 class are freshman. The others aren't. Between those classes and whatever they get through the portal and what they pay Fisher and staff they should be alongside UGA/Alabama but they're not. Fisher had the really good pandemic year, 9-1 and CFP ranked 5 but that's balanced out by the horrendous year last year. The other 3 years are 8-9 win years and about .500 in the SEC. For 9.5M/yr in Fisher's salary, the staff salary and what they must dole out in NIL, it's not enough. It would be good for other places but for what they're paying, championship playoff level is the goal. They haven't made a SEC champ game yet in his tenure let alone playoff. Saban has been in the way but Kelly has made a SEC championship already in year 1. Playoff expansion might help them in the future.

I suggest your read up on Mike Leach and his book Swing Your Sword. How did Leach and Hal Mumme turn Kentucky around so quickly. How did Mike Leach turn WSU into a perennial winner after being a doormat forever. Also, how did Maryland compete this year with a bunch of 2 and 3 star players on offense? Crickets from you on this.

An excellent quarterback has a halo effect on the rest of the offense, making the rest of the offensive players look good. Mike Leavh and Hal Mumme developed excellent quarterbacks. We’re working to do the same.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
My personal opinion is that he will be extended, right after next season at latest. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it happen this season.

After 2023? Even if we have a 3-9 season as you said?
That's going to be a hard extension (and raise?) to sell to the fanbase.

This season? You mean prior to the start of 2023? He still has 5 years left.
Why would he get an extension?

After 2023? Even if we have a 3-9 season as you said?
That's going to be a hard extension (and raise?) to sell to the fanbase.

This season? You mean prior to the start of 2023? He still has 5 years left.
Why would he get an extension?
Because we would not want Ohio State to poach him when Ryan day moves on.

• Haha
Reactions: Rokodesh
Look at the 4 teams in the playoff. Look at them everyear for the most part. What do they all have in common? Top recruiting classes. Let’s see how A&M does next year because one bad year has definitely not stopped that tan base from giving a f$ck. To think it’s about the coaches and not the players shows you do not know football.
The other thing those teams have in common is good coaches.

My personal opinion is that he will be extended, right after next season at latest. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it happen this season.
If the team hasn't shown definite improvement next year, then this would be the wrong decision. By "definite improvement," i mean, at the very least, being competitive in all games against non-elite teams. Really, though, we should be able to become bowl-eligible.

My intuition (based on nothing) is that he will not want to be extended and will return to retirement. He doesn't need the money and he is not getting younger.

Maryland absolutely is 37-0 better than us because they have a future NFL QB while we struggle to complete a forward pass. But thankfully help Is on the way, with Dylan Braithwaite soon entering the fray.
Is he going to throw it to himself, if not, we will have the same problems as this year.

Reactions: LotusAggressor
An excellent quarterback has a halo effect on the rest of the offense, making the rest of the offensive players look good. Mike Leavh and Hal Mumme developed excellent quarterbacks. We’re working to do the same.
The people RU has coaching offense aren't in the same solar system as Mumme and Leach. There's only been 1 RU OC that's even bothered to actually teach the position in the last decade.

These days, the quick turnarounds are due to a blend of the development and maturation of existing players and the addition of good portal players. At least that’s what happened in Kansas. It should be mentioned that they have a strong alumni base which donates, facilitating sports success.
Kansas hired a coach who actually develops players.

Ignorant post. Several kids are going to ultimately become impact players. Dylan Braithwaite is going to get an opportunity to impact right away. This could be the best class since the 2005 class which had Ray Rice, who btw, was a 3*.
Is he fast enough to run downfield and catch his own passes?

The other thing those teams have in common is good coaches.
TCU Recruiting
2022: #60,
2021: #63
2020: #24-5 star RB transferred to Ole Miss; 4 star Quentin Johnson led team in yards; OL Hayes on 2 deep; Clark DB not on roster; 4 star DB Jenkins not on 2 deep; 4 star DT Jenkins transferred to Tulane; DT Sorrells transferred out
2019: #29-Their 4 star DL transferred down to UNLV; 4 star RB Barlow transferred to USC and has been non-productive; 4 star DL Ellison did not play this year; 4 star DT transferred to Pitt; Max Duggan QB still at TCU.

Seems like only 4 stars that are productive are their QB and WR. Their star running back is 2 star athlete.

Seems definitely more like coaching than talent with the last couple of recruiting classes.

#CoachingMatters

Is he fast enough to run downfield and catch his own passes?
Remember @rutgersal was gaga over Stanley King. He transferred to greener pastures at Northwestern State:

2022 Season: Caught a career-high five passes for 58 yards in an Oct. 8 loss at Eastern Illinois. 😖

Maryland absolutely is 37-0 better than us because they have a future NFL QB while we struggle to complete a forward pass.
And therefore, I am all in on this coaching staff. -Al

P.S. not even Greg Schiano probably believes this is his best recruiting class ever, lay off the fentanyl Al

If coaching doesn't matter and attracting players is all about money why does it matter who we have as head coach? Why fire Gleason? Of all the inane things people post the idea that coaching doesn't matter much is the worst, especially coming from people so dedicated to one particular coach.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
But your entire premise of this thread is basically telling people to pay up or shut up. And now you’re telling us that there’s a 50/50 shot our money doesn’t yield results? Hard pill to swallow, Al.

The idea is to go after kids who have been productive, who are transferring, like a CJ Dipre of Maryland , who is now ticketed for Bama. Someone like him would have been perfect for our offense. But that ship has sailed.

The idea is to go after kids who have been productive, who are transferring, like a CJ Dipre of Maryland , who is now ticketed for Bama. Someone like him would have been perfect for our offense. But that ship has sailed.
But @rutgersal . . why should a player like that come here? If a player is able to transfer to Alabama, why would he be interested in Rutgers? The chance we're going to get a player who was productive elsewhere is very small unless a kid has a compelling personal reason to be in the Garden State. Instead we have to do with transfers what we have to do with kids from high school -- try to coach them up and make them productive.

Right, cause even if we do start using NIL money to compete on transfers, we’re going to be in that game with the Bamas of the world.

Also — how do we know anyone would be “perfect for our offense?” What offense? As far as I can tell, we don’t have an OC and we don’t have a known offensive identity. Sure, talent is needed, but we need to give people reasons to come here by showing them leadership and an identity. We seem to still be missing both.

The only person I can say would be “perfect for our offense” as I know it today would be a clone of Adam Korsak.

Last edited:
But @rutgersal . . why should a player like that come here? If a player is able to transfer to Alabama, why would he be interested in Rutgers? The chance we're going to get a player who was productive elsewhere is very small unless a kid has a compelling personal reason to be in the Garden State. Instead we have to do with transfers what we have to do with kids from high school -- try to coach them up and make them productive.
As usual, your objective and rational points win the day.
Right, cause even if we do start using NIL money to compete on transfers, we’re going to be in that game with the Bamas of the world.
Just as @retired711 said.

Interesting comments from Drake Maye, the UNC QB who was purportedly offered $5 million in NIL money to transfer. For a first year student, the young man makes a lot more sense than many adults and fans screaming that money will change everything for RU. I doubt that it will.

We should go after players that want to be at RU, not go to RU because they are the highest bidder.

"Pitt's coach ended up putting that out there. I don't know what that was about. You have to enter the transfer portal to talk to these schools and hear these offers. For me, I think college football is going to turn into a mess. They're going to have to do something. There was nothing to me or my family directly offered from any of these other schools. Nothing was said or offered to the Mayes."

"Sadly, I think money is becoming a reason why kids go places," he said. "Where I'm playing at and with and for Coach Brown, just that Carolina blue outweighs the money part of it. I don't think any amount of money from whatever school [would sway me]. Nowadays, people are signing for NIL. It puts a lot of pressure on those kids. If I were to transfer out and go somewhere, it wouldn't be the same."

Also — how do we know anyone would be “perfect for our offense?” What offense? As far as I can tell, we don’t have an OC and we don’t have a known offensive identity. Sure, talent is needed, but we need to give people reasons to come here by showing them leadership and an identity. We seem to still be missing both.

The only person I can say would be “perfect for our offense” as I know it today would be a clone of Adam Korsak.

A productive tight end would be perfect for our offense because he would effectively attack the seam of the defense, no matter which offense we ran. We know what the offensive identity is because Schiano revealed it. He wants a tough, physical complementary offense which will run the ball and playaction as needed.

We got Aaron Cruickshank, who was productive for Wisconsin and productive for us, so it is possible.

It’s tough for us to recruit against Alabama, but what could do is offer him the opportunity to be the focal point of our offense, and offer to throw at least 50-60 balls to him. Without an OC, though, we had no chance.

A productive tight end would be perfect for our offense because he would effectively attack the seam of the defense, no matter which offense we ran. We know what the offensive identity is because Schiano revealed it. He wants a tough, physical complementary offense which will run the ball and playaction as needed.
When has RU used a TE for anything other than running up the middle out of the Wildcat?

Tyler Kroft made plenty of plays for us and now plays for the 49ers.
Tyler Kroft played under HC Kyle Flood, who got Rutgers to three bowls in a row. Kroft's career was capped off under OC Ralph Friedgen, the last RU OC who was worth his pay. That was nearly 10 years ago.

Maybe the tune will change if we see RU hires an OC any time soon. Until then, this is all meaningless babble.

Tyler Kroft played under HC Kyle Flood, who got Rutgers to three bowls in a row. Kroft's career was capped off under OC Ralph Friedgen, the last RU OC who was worth his pay. That was nearly 10 years ago.

Maybe the tune will change if we see RU hires an OC any time soon. Until then, this is all meaningless babble.

Vokolek also did a good job for us.

One of the biggest reasons our offense has struggled is because we lack talent at the tight end position. Konopka has potential but hasn’t been able to stay healthy. Jonny was productive but sometimes inconsistent. The kids are learning the position. Adding an effective tight end to the roster would significantly bolster the offense.

One of the biggest reasons our offense has struggled is because we lack talent at the tight end position. Konopka has potential but hasn’t been able to stay healthy. Jonny was productive but sometimes inconsistent. The kids are learning the position. Adding an effective tight end to the roster would significantly bolster the offense.
Agree, but none of that matters if our QB can't hit the broad side of a barn. If the QB doesn't improve his accuracy you can have a young Rob Gronkowski and it will not make one bit a difference in wins and losses.

Agree, but none of that matters if our QB can't hit the broad side of a barn. If the QB doesn't improve his accuracy you can have a young Rob Gronkowski and it will not make one bit a difference in wins and losses.

Our young QB is going to work hard this offseason to improve his accuracy, decision making, and reading defenses.

Remember @rutgersal was gaga over Stanley King. He transferred to greener pastures at Northwestern State:

2022 Season: Caught a career-high five passes for 58 yards in an Oct. 8 loss at Eastern Illinois. 😖

Who was that JUCO OL he was gaga over in the late 90s ? BIG Ron (Something).

Really? Their QB held us to 0 points????Delusion. Tuala is far from an nfl qb. He’s a nice college qb but that kid will never start in the league. He was also coming back from injury vs us.

A half decent qb doesn’t account for 37 points vs an ‘elite defense’ as you suggest.

Al, let’s just be honest here, your reason for this thread was to try to get others back in the schiano camp, and all you have done is further highlights what an awful job he’s done. I’m sorry buddy, but Greg can’t get a lifetime pass bc of 1.0. To suggest an extension when he just went 4-8 and commit even more to him is pure insanity at this point.

Additionally Dylan braithwhite, who I’m excited for, is a PROJECT. He’s fast and that’s it, there’s a reason why his next biggest offers were Navy and Richmond Al, you are justifying improvement based on a guy ranked as the 167th best WR in the country in this years class…

What’s the definition of insanity????

Last edited:
Reactions: RUaMoose
If coaching doesn't matter and attracting players is all about money why does it matter who we have as head coach? Why fire Gleason? Of all the inane things people post the idea that coaching doesn't matter much is the worst, especially coming from people so dedicated to one particular coach.
BIG FACTS!

I’m sure we could build a hell of a team with the $4 million we’re paying Greg used for NIL. Using Al’s idea that coaching barely matters, we could hire a random local HS coach for $150k and spend the money on players… why even bother keeping Greg?

Reactions: brgRC90

Vokolek left RU after two years to play for Nebraska. Learning the position? First the team and the coaches have to instill an offensive identity, something RU lacks.

Leach's version of the spread relied mostly on WRs but many of other versions employed by members of his tree and others incorporate a tight end into their scheme.

BIG FACTS!

I’m sure we could build a hell of a team with the $4 million we’re paying Greg used for NIL. Using Al’s idea that coaching barely matters, we could hire a random local HS coach for $150k and spend the money on players… why even bother keeping Greg?
We don't even need a coach who is a good salesman, apparently. According to some posters it's all about money. Build a swanky practice field and flash NIL bucks and they will come and they barely need to be coached because it's all about the Jimmys and Joes.

Really? Their QB held us to 0 points????Delusion. Tuala is far from an nfl qb. He’s a nice college qb but that kid will never start in the league. He was also coming back from injury vs us.

A half decent qb doesn’t account for 37 points vs an ‘elite defense’ as you suggest.

Al, let’s just be honest here, your reason for this thread was to try to get others back in the schiano camp, and all you have done is further highlights what an awful job he’s done. I’m sorry buddy, but Greg can’t get a lifetime pass bc of 1.0. To suggest an extension when he just went 4-8 and commit even more to him is pure insanity at this point.

Additionally Dylan braithwhite, who I’m excited for, is a PROJECT. He’s fast and that’s it, there’s a reason why his next biggest offers were Navy and Richmond Al, you are justifying improvement based on a guy ranked as the 167th best WR in the country in this years class…

What’s the definition of insanity????

Dylan Braithwaite is not a project, and is an instant impact slot receiver, who will be enrolling early and going through spring practice, so that he can play early.

Taulia will be drafted and get an NFL opportunity, but not sure how far he’ll go.

The defense was fatigued for the Penn State and Maryland Games, which is why it was ineffective, after being pounded for three months. To be successful, the offense needs to be able to run the ball, effectively. With this incoming class, we now have the linemen to be able to do that effectively.

Players play games not rankings, and when Dylan takes the field he is going to show he is closer to #1, than #167.

Schiano will get an extension because people understand this is a difficult job and the program is headed in the right track, despite adverse circumstances. The offense will be better this year, due to the improved talent, though the wins may not be materially different.

• Haha
Reactions: PSU_Nut
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT