ADVERTISEMENT

If you're not going to donate, you'll just have to be patient

Riley used NIL to land his Heisman QB and soon to be NFL draft pick WR to materially upgrade the performance of USCs offense. That is an undeniable fact.

After landing it’s OC, who will bring his system, Rutgers can similarly use NIL to land transfers good enough to get to 6 wins. That’s all we’re trying to do here.
I have no issues with NIL and the like. You can and anyone else can do what they like. I'm saying it's not the panacea some think it is. It might help or it might make little difference, it's not a guarantee. The coaching and the system etc..matter and probably more so.

Reactions: Jimpeg
I have no issues with NIL and the like. You can and anyone else can do what they like. I'm saying it's not the panacea some think it is. It might help or it might make little difference, it's not a guarantee. The coaching and the system etc..matter and probably more so.

Nothing in life Is guaranteed and especially not NIL. I’d rather give it my best shot, rather than suffer through another likely 3 or 4 win season, if we stay with the status quo, unless the freshmen provide a huge impact, which I’m not yet counting on.

I’m trusting Schiano to ensure that the offense has the right system and good coaching in ‘23. But we also need additional talent to succeed. The right players can boost the offense. NIL improves the probability of landing them.

Why does everyone keep responding to AL as if he was a logical poster? According to him we are always, truly always, on the cusp of greatness. Just see the endless list of reasons why we haven't broken through....it takes a special kind of person to blind oneself like this.
I respect al as a dedicated fan. I also like to see him keep doubling down and not yielding an inch on his positions.

Nothing in life Is guaranteed and especially not NIL. I’d rather give it my best shot, rather than suffer through another likely 3 or 4 win season, if we stay with the status quo, unless the freshmen provide a huge impact, which I’m not yet counting on.

I’m trusting Schiano to ensure that the offense has the right system and good coaching in ‘23. But we also need additional talent to succeed. The right players can boost the offense. NIL improves the probability of landing them.
Al, the bolded part is where you and many people debating you disagree. I'm not trusting Schiano is going to put the right offensive system in place. We have seen the same things in 2.0 that we saw in 1.0. He has not shown any tendency or ability to identify, develop and coach QBs, or hire the right people to do that. Who was the longest tenured OC in 1.0? That says a lot.

In other posts you said we have talent at WR and TE, didn't you?

To this point, because of the silly the ball is the program mantra, we lost Youngblood to the portal. Very bad thing for RU.

USC used NIL to its advantage and went from 4 wins in ‘21 to 11 wins in ‘22. The assumption is that GS and the OC will have the expertise to determine the players needed to quickly boost Rutgers fortunes. We will have to be strategic in how we use NIL.

If we could add players that could take us from 4 wins to 6 wins, that would be good enough. A Leonte Carroo type WR and a productive tight end would do wonders for our offense.
This is at least the third time you've said USC is using NIL. So I decided to look it up. You can, too, by googling "USC NIL." You'll find that the biggest factor in USC's improved recruiting was the replacement by Clay Helton by LIncoln Riley; that USC has become concerned by other schools' use of NIL; that last June (way after it had recruited the players that got it from 4 wins to 11) it contracted with an outside agency for it to pursue NIL opportunities; that a bunch of boosters, against USC's opposition, organized a collective; that both the collective and the agency insist they have nothing to do with recruits; and that the founder of that collective has just died. May I add that USC has for decades been very successful at recruiting -- of course, that was way before NIL came along. I don't know whether you can get through The Athletes' paywall, but here is a piece that says most of what I just did. https://theathletic.com/3496071/2022/08/10/usc-nil-collective-student-body-right-blvd/

Last edited:
Reactions: LotusAggressor
Why does everyone keep responding to AL as if he was a logical poster? According to him we are always, truly always, on the cusp of greatness. Just see the endless list of reasons why we haven't broken through....it takes a special kind of person to blind oneself like this.
He said we can use NIL $ to land a transfer WR but didn’t GS say that $ would only be used to keep the players we got? You know, the ones that got us to last place in the B1G.

Schiano does not have a track record that would indicate that the offense will be fixed. History tells us that he will fiddle with it until it falls apart and burns.

I don’t know how he would watch all film to understand where he demonstrated proper mechanics and instances where he threw inaccurately, and what he has to do to improve. You must be some kind of genius.

In any case, In the offseason, he will have more time, to work to Understand what he did well, and where he can improve. Hope this makes sense Mr. Film Expert.
Wow you are doubling down on you have no clue what watching film means You do not need game film to work on mechanics. You do realize every practice is filmed? Seriously do you think you actually watch game film for that?

Because Wimsatt had a very small sample size of throws and the accuracy issues did not reveal themselves. Wimsatt only became the full time starter once Nunz became the OC.
OK, I've never played organized sports (I was always the last picked for teams in gym), but. . .

I would think that mechanics issues (how he plants his feet, and what his arm motion are like) can be detected i n practice or after a very few throws under game conditions. So a "small sample size" doesn't strike me as an excuse.

Another issue is whether he goes through his progressions correctly and sees defenders. Again, I don't think that needs a big sample size.

The biggest issue is whether the game "slows down" enough for him to use the mechanics and progression-reading skills he learned in practice. I'm not sure that's very coachable. Either he'll be able to acquire that skill or he won't.

Saying USC Solely needed a real coach is reductive. USC went from 4 wins in ‘21 to 11 wins in ‘22 because they got Better coaching AND Better talent via NIL. QB Caleb Williams won the Heisman with 4,075 yards passing, and a 167.9 passer rating. His top target was WR Jordan Addison who pulled down 59 catches. Both received significant NIL.

If talent wasn’t an issue at USC, Riley would have gone with the existing players. But Riley knew better. The 2021 quarterback, Kedon Slovis, threw for 2,153 yards, almost half the output.

USC used NIL to boost its fortunes. Rutgers should do the same. But it will need boosters to step up to the plate.
The better coach was also the better recruiter --read the story I linked. That's how USC got better players.

Please present evidence for your continual statement that USC used NIL to recruit You have said it now at least five times. The link I gave indicates that what you've said is not true. It's time for you to produce contrary evidence.

The better coach was also the better recruiter --read the story I linked. That's how USC got better players.

Please present evidence for your continual statement that USC used NIL to recruit You have said it now at least five times. The link I gave indicates that what you've said is not true. It's time for you to produce contrary evidence.

Here’s your contrary evidence.

Williams has landed partnerships with the likes of Fanatics, Beats by Dre, Athletic Brewing, and Beverly Hills real estate private equity fund Hawkins Way Capital. He even invested in a company, becoming the part-owner of male grooming brand Faculty.

Jordan Addison’s NIL Deals

Here’s your contrary evidence.

Williams has landed partnerships with the likes of Fanatics, Beats by Dre, Athletic Brewing, and Beverly Hills real estate private equity fund Hawkins Way Capital. He even invested in a company, becoming the part-owner of male grooming brand Faculty.

Jordan Addison’s NIL Deals

No. These are examples of USC players getting deals for use of their NIL. Williams, for instance, is getting these deals because he's a Heisman candidate. Nothing here indicates that USC is arranging the NIL deals or using them as a way of recruiting or retaining players -- which is what you were claiming.

No. These are examples of USC players getting deals for use of their NIL. Williams, for instance is getting these deals because he's a Heisman candidate. Nothing here indicates that USC is arranging the NIL deals or using them as a way of recruiting or retaining players -- which is what you were claiming.
al has a way of grossly oversimplifying "evidence," glossing over important distinctions and illogically connecting dots between other schools/player Rutgers/players.

He said we can use NIL $ to land a transfer WR but didn’t GS say that $ would only be used to keep the players we got? You know, the ones that got us to last place in the B1G.

players are only compensated once they are on the roster and enrolled. Otherwise, there is nothing to stop a player from taking the money and running.

No. These are examples of USC players getting deals for use of their NIL. Williams, for instance, is getting these deals because he's a Heisman candidate. Nothing here indicates that USC is arranging the NIL deals or using them as a way of recruiting or retaining players -- which is what you were claiming.

USC did not arrange the NIL deals because that is not allowed. Their boasters arranged them in what is believed to be a quid pro quo arrangement. They come to USC, they get the NIL deals. They weren’t getting these NIL deals without coming to USC.

USC did not arrange the NIL deals because that is not allowed. Their boasters arranged them in what is believed to be a quid pro quo arrangement. They come to USC, they get the NIL deals. They weren’t getting these NIL deals without coming to USC.
Once again, no. There is absolutely no evidence in the stories you cited that, for instance, Williams' NIL deals are arranged by boosters. Yes, he has "trusted confidants," but nothing indicates that they are boosters or that they are helping him get deals only because he is at USC.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Wow you are doubling down on you have no clue what watching film means You do not need game film to work on mechanics. You do realize every practice is filmed? Seriously do you think you actually watch game film for that?
Al has no clue.
His rose colored glasses has rendered all his posts useless.

OK, I've never played organized sports (I was always the last picked for teams in gym), but. . .

I would think that mechanics issues (how he plants his feet, and what his arm motion are like) can be detected i n practice or after a very few throws under game conditions. So a "small sample size" doesn't strike me as an excuse.

Another issue is whether he goes through his progressions correctly and sees defenders. Again, I don't think that needs a big sample size.

The biggest issue is whether the game "slows down" enough for him to use the mechanics and progression-reading skills he learned in practice. I'm not sure that's very coachable. Either he'll be able to acquire that skill or he won't.

Wimsatt only threw 21 passes last year and completed 9 of them. I’m not going to judge a quarterbacks accuracy after only 21 throws.

This year, after 145 throws and a 44.8% completion percentage, and observing a number of bad throws, it is fair to say he has accuracy issues.

I thought he did a reasonably good job of going through his progressions. Nova and Teel had significant issues locking onto their primary receiver. I didn’t observe that with Wimsatt.

It will be on the new OC/QB Coach to work with Wimsatt to correct his issues.

Once again, no. There is absolutely no evidence in the stories you cited that, for instance, Williams' NIL deals are arranged by boosters. Yes, he has "trusted confidants," but nothing indicates that they are boosters or that they are helping him get deals only because he is at USC.

Of course there is no evidence because using NIL to induce a player to transfer is illegal. But if you think that Beverly Hills real estate private equity fund Hawkins Way Capital would have been interested in Caleb Williams NIL, had he remained at Oklahoma, then we’ll just have to disagree.

How do you know what Rutgers Football players are watching during their film sessions?

With this incoming class, we finally have the enough material to be successful on offense. But these kids are going to need time to develop and you can't accelerate that:
  • OL need to get stronger in the weight room and learn technique, and take repititions so that they make fewer mistakes; we will have a good offense
    when our linemen, especially our Guards, can successfully drive block, and get to the 2nd level, against better teams. This doesn't happen overnight.
  • WRs need to get stronger in the weight room and learn to run good routes, adjust their routes when opponents are blitzing, adjust to the flight of the ball and demonstrate effective ball skills, and most importantly, adjust to the physicality of college football, especially when pressed. This is probably the toughest aspect that kids have to get used to, because they’re used to having a free release
  • Quarterbacks need to better read defenses by watching a ton of film and work on mechanics to ensure better accuracy
  • Need a few tight ends from the transfer portal
Of course, we can accelerate things by acquiring the players that can get us over the hump.
  • 400 people donating $5,000 would give us a warchest of $2M, which would be a good start. this is the minimum of what's needed, imo
If people aren't going to donate, we're just going to have to be patient. Right now, it's looking like 2025 will be our payoff year. Till then, we'll probably perform in a 4-8 to 6-6 range. Though the 2023 schedule is particularly brutal, and we might slip to 3-9, unless kids, like Wimsatt step up and show significant improvement.
With this incoming class, we finally have the enough material to be successful on offense. But these kids are going to need time to develop and you can't accelerate that:
  • OL need to get stronger in the weight room and learn technique, and take repititions so that they make fewer mistakes; we will have a good offense
    when our linemen, especially our Guards, can successfully drive block, and get to the 2nd level, against better teams. This doesn't happen overnight.
  • WRs need to get stronger in the weight room and learn to run good routes, adjust their routes when opponents are blitzing, adjust to the flight of the ball and demonstrate effective ball skills, and most importantly, adjust to the physicality of college football, especially when pressed. This is probably the toughest aspect that kids have to get used to, because they’re used to having a free release
  • Quarterbacks need to better read defenses by watching a ton of film and work on mechanics to ensure better accuracy
  • Need a few tight ends from the transfer portal
Of course, we can accelerate things by acquiring the players that can get us over the hump.
  • 400 people donating $5,000 would give us a warchest of $2M, which would be a good start. this is the minimum of what's needed, imo
If people aren't going to donate, we're just going to have to be patient. Right now, it's looking like 2025 will be our payoff year. Till then, we'll probably perform in a 4-8 to 6-6 range. Though the 2023 schedule is particularly brutal, and we might slip to 3-9, unless kids, like Wimsatt step up and show significant improvement.
Not happening Al. Most of the Rutgers Alum I work with don’t give a shit about Rutgers football. maybe Schiano can hold fort until no division’s. But Rutgers faculty whistle blowers still exist. Since Rutgers is so Uber liberal why have grades or whistle blowers at all? aren’t grades racist? California says so and governor Murphy says California is the blueprint for NJ but that guy is a typical liberal hypocrite

Last edited:
I love how no one ever really criticize coach Schiano! I, he’s the man charge and he has done as bad/fair job so far. Bottom line! Get it done or get off the bowel.

The kid committed in June and got injured in the beginning of the season. Injuries happen, but as long as he stays healthy, he will see the field because speed kills.
He missed 2 games… 9 receptions in 9 games played. Yea that’s definitely ‘Instant Impact’

He had a season ending injury early in the season.
No he didn’t Al…. However let’s play fantasy here and say he did, how would a guy coming off a season ending injury be an ‘instant impact’ recruit? Or is that just the latest Savon Huggins for you as you go through this yearly routine of literal insanity

Reactions: zappaa and dconifer
Lol...not like USC has had a history of under the table deals in the past, right? See Reggie Bush. So they are probably squeaky clean now because it's against the rules.
I love how no one ever really criticize coach Schiano! I, he’s the man charge and he has done as bad/fair job so far. Bottom line! Get it done or get off the bowel.
"Get off the bowel"? That's a new one. But bowels unfortunately hit the mark with the bowl as the final dumping ground.

• Haha
Reactions: RUmonster
Lol...not like USC has had a history of under the table deals in the past, right? See Reggie Bush. So they are probably squeaky clean now because it's against the rules.

"Get off the bowel"? That's a new one. But bowels unfortunately hit the mark with the bowl as the final dumping ground.
Not always. We were at a national park, and there was an outside commode. Let's just say the floor seemed to have more bowel than the commode.

No he didn’t Al…. However let’s play fantasy here and say he did, how would a guy coming off a season ending injury be an ‘instant impact’ recruit? Or is that just the latest Savon Huggins for you as you go through this yearly routine of literal insanity

Yes, he did.

“Wide receiver Dylan Braithwaite, a Rutgers football commit, is out for the season with an injury. He finished his final season at Holy Trinity averaging 93.7 yards per game and with five touchdown receptions.”

Kid has been reported to have 4.37 speed, which will make him a difference maker.

Yes, he did.

“Wide receiver Dylan Braithwaite, a Rutgers football commit, is out for the season with an injury. He finished his final season at Holy Trinity averaging 93.7 yards per game and with five touchdown receptions.”

Kid has been reported to have 4.37 speed, which will make him a difference maker.
Hate to break this to you but clicking on that link and player stats will reveal that the reporter didn’t do their homework…

But ok Al, a 165 lb kid with 9 catches last year coming off an injury is ‘instant impact’

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Hate to break this to you but clicking on that link and player stats will reveal that the reporter didn’t do their homework…

But ok Al, a 165 lb kid with 9 catches last year coming off an injury is ‘instant impact’

Actually, you didn’t do your homework because he didn’t play in many games last year.

Someone who knows him, and posts mostly on the premium side, said Schiano likened him to Santana Moss, who was an instant impact receiver for Miami. With praise like that, I expect Braithwaite to be the headliner of the class and GOAT slot at Rutgers.

Actually, you didn’t do your homework because he didn’t play in many games last year.

Someone who knows him, and posts mostly on the premium side, said Schiano likened him to Santana Moss, who was an instant impact receiver for Miami. With praise like that, I expect Braithwaite to be the headliner of the class and GOAT slot at Rutgers.

Actually I did do my homework by clicking on the link and seeing he had 4 TD’s and averaged 79 yards a game…

So because a premium poster said some nice things that makes him instant impact? You wanna talk about Santana Miss? The former walk-on who didn’t play until midway through his freshman year and had 14 total catches his freshman year as ‘instant impact’

Like I said, it’s yearly insanity. Maybe one of these years you will actually be right Al…

Actually I did do my homework by clicking on the link and seeing he had 4 TD’s and averaged 79 yards a game…

So because a premium poster said some nice things that makes him instant impact? You wanna talk about Santana Miss? The former walk-on who didn’t play until midway through his freshman year and had 14 total catches his freshman year as ‘instant impact’

Like I said, it’s yearly insanity. Maybe one of these years you will actually be right Al…
Don't hold your breath.

You didn’t do your homework when you said:

He missed 2 games… 9 receptions in 9 games played. Yea that’s definitely ‘Instant Impact’

Moss wasn’t an instant impact player because Miami had plenty of talent. Braithwaite will have a great opportunity to be instant impact because we lack talent.

I understand you don’t expect him to be instant impact. We’ll see who is correct.

Al being right ? A laughable poster who actually believes the crap he writes.

You didn’t do your homework when you said:

Moss wasn’t an instant impact player because Miami had plenty of talent. Braithwaite will have a great opportunity to be instant impact because we lack talent.

I understand you don’t expect him to be instant impact. We’ll see who is correct.
Based on your track record of predictions you might not wanna make that claim… but god knows you will make whatever excuse up for Greg and whomever else when this impending brick wall of an offense takes the field… top 4 targets lost to graduation, #5 target to the portal. And a whole bunch of freshman no one else wanted mixed with a QB who is desperate for coaching with no current direction…. And you want to extend the idiot responsible for this train wreck…. Get a grip Al

Based on your track record of predictions you might not wanna make that claim… but god knows you will make whatever excuse up for Greg and whomever else when this impending brick wall of an offense takes the field… top 4 targets lost to graduation, #5 target to the portal. And a whole bunch of freshman no one else wanted mixed with a QB who is desperate for coaching with no current direction…. And you want to extend the idiot responsible for this train wreck…. Get a grip Al

Nice attempt at deflection, but your assertion about Braithwaite was incorrect.

Schiano is building one hell of a defense, but the offense needs work and is going to need time to be respectable. We’ve got a Quarterback and Running back we can build around. The OL we need to be successful, are on the roster, but it’s going to take time to develop them. The freshman WRs are fast but will need time to realize their potential, and will likely be augmented by transfers. We have a good tight end in Konopka, who needs to stay healthy. That position will also be augmented by transfers.

Schiano is going to get an extension because the program is on the right track. Most kids who are going to fix the offense are already on the roster.

Nice attempt at deflection, but your assertion about Braithwaite was incorrect.

Schiano is building one hell of a defense, but the offense needs work and is going to need time to be respectable. We’ve got a Quarterback and Running back we can build around. The OL we need to be successful, are on the roster, but it’s going to take time to develop them. The freshman WRs are fast but will need time to realize their potential, and will likely be augmented by transfers. We have a good tight end in Konopka, who needs to stay healthy. That position will also be augmented by transfers.

Schiano is going to get an extension because the program is on the right track. Most kids who are going to fix the offense are already on the roster.
Are you really trying to call someone out on deflecting? That’s rich Al. Ok I was wrong on how many games the kid played. So what?

You wanna address how marylands half decent QB somehow caused our Offense to score 0 points after they had played PSU and OSU in consecutive weeks leading up? Or you gonna keep hiding from that one.

Al, you are the only person left excited for schiano. Your setting yourself up for heartbreak at the end of this

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT