ADVERTISEMENT

I'm convinced that football

Loyal_2RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 6, 2001
That football team's success has reduced the juice for this game.

Folks are attending to the football team much more closely than recently and that has filled the usual void that would have us craving hoops by now in past seasons

I love our hoops team and program, just not quite sure I feel ready for November to be here or for hoops just yet.

Thanksgiving week is the better rhythm.

After all we are playing Princeton on the 154th anniversary of the first football game.

I suspect that tip off will get the juices flowing.

Go RU.

Football has not reduced any interest in basketball.
It is the decision to play this game in Trenton as opposed to either of our home courts. Trenton is not an ideal destination for any game. My kids go to this place twice per year for cheerleading and it isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be but the surrounding areas are not ideal. I just think this keeps the average fan away from attending.
As for our home opener on Friday that will be a mad house and overflowing with interest

It's a combination of everything.. football, a Monday night in Trenton and a little bit of the end of the last season hoops collapse we'd all rather forget. If the Jets weren't playing tonight we'd have to gone to the RU game. But we'll stay home and be able to watch both.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
It's a combination of everything.. football, a Monday night in Trenton and a little bit of the end of the last season hoops collapse we'd all rather forget. If the Jets weren't playing tonight we'd have to gone to the RU game. But we'll stay home and be able to watch both.
Bingo. No rutgers/jets fan is going to the Rutgers game tonight. If the jets were 2-7 like they usually are then it would be a different story.

Reactions: Local Shill
I disagree that football has no part. It's not about where there is excitement for hoops, that's there for sure, but where or but we're are ready for it in the first week of November. That is influenced by the success of the football team

Football has not reduced any interest in basketball.
It is the decision to play this game in Trenton as opposed to either of our home courts. Trenton is not an ideal destination for any game. My kids go to this place twice per year for cheerleading and it isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be but the surrounding areas are not ideal. I just think this keeps the average fan away from attending.
As for our home opener on Friday that will be a mad house and overflowing with interest
I think the OP is correct. The last few years I was done with football and 100% into the start of hoops. Today, I actually didn't remember we opened tonight. I was only thinking Iowa.

I 100% agree with the OP.

I have been saying for years now that college basketball shouldn't start the season until end of November or early December. Football is just so big that people are locked in all the way through Thanksgiving weekend. During Saturday's in November I have almost no idea what's going on in college hoops because I'm so locked into football.

If you start the season after Thanksgiving almost every big time school's fanbase can turn their full attention to basketball season.

Reactions: goru7
No doubt about it, having a bowl eligible football team with three meaningful, and to varying degrees winnable, games left on the schedule is a big attention sponge from the season opener. Add in starting the year at a NEUTRAL site on a Monday at 7 PM without "real" TV coverage and it just seems odd.

I'm sure our coaches and team are ready to go tonight and their competitive juices will be flowing.

I 100% agree with the OP.

I have been saying for years now that college basketball shouldn't start the season until end of November or early December. Football is just so big that people are locked in all the way through Thanksgiving weekend. During Saturday's in November I have almost no idea what's going on in college hoops because I'm so locked into football.

If you start the season after Thanksgiving almost every big time school's fanbase can turn their full attention to basketball season.
Again these are OOC games and time is needed before conference play starts. All makes sense and more sports on the better to me.
It is very easy to do both

Again these are OOC games and time is needed before conference play starts. All makes sense and more sports on the better to me.
It is very easy to do both
My thought was you push the entire season back. Not try to squeeze everything in from December to March.

The two big college sports are football and basketball. To me its dumb that you have them going on at the same time.

My thought was you push the entire season back. Not try to squeeze everything in from December to March.

The two big college sports are football and basketball. To me its dumb that you have them going on at the same time.
There’s this little thing called March Madness that generates most of the revenue for college basketball and which our media partners will have no appetite to change.

I disagree that football has anything to do with the relatively small amount of buzz for this game. However, I also don't see this game as much of a buzzkill as many others. I am excited about tonight's game to see the new-look team in action. The first game of the year is always exciting to me, regardless of the venue or the opponent.

We’re probably bringing roughly the same number of people we would bring if the game were being played at Jadwin.

Rutgers fans over the age of 70 love this game but most of us think it has little to no juice. I haven’t missed this series at all.

I think Trenton/Monday combo is a big part of it. Pain in the ass for all the North Jersey people like me. Actually leaving in a few to try and beat the traffic and have time to grab a couple drinks somewhere.

There is always time for basketball!!
Happy Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

The location is horrific

And there is zero rivalry

Its November 6

Hence little juice
Don't forget trying to drive down Route 1 south at that hour I live in North Brunswick and it would take me at least an hour to get to the game; anyway I work on Monday nights so cannot make the game

We also have 5 home games at the RAC in November including 2 in the next 6 days so there are plenty of opportunities to see the team play without having to get to Trenton on a Monday night.

But I just pulled the trigger and am going anyway because I need to feed my Rutgers Basketball addiction. 0 days sober.

Last edited:
I like Fall sports played in the Fall, Winter in the Winter, Spring in the Spring.

But I’m weird like that .😉

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
"Location, location, location...."....although the only reason I'm missing out is due to softball playoff games tonight. Has zero to do with football IMHO.

I don't think so for the most part. I will say that I am definitely paying more attention to football at this point in the season than I have for a long time, But after you watch the first BB game or go to the first game, it will be all in on that too. Basketball doesn't seem here or real yet until you see them hit the floor against a real opponent in a real game.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
I don't think so for the most part. I will say that I am definitely paying more attention to football at this point in the season than I have for a long time, But after you watch the first BB game or go to the first game, it will be all in on that too. Basketball doesn't seem here or real yet until you see them hit the floor against a real opponent in a real game.
Kind of what I am saying

Reactions: RUPete
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT