ADVERTISEMENT

I'm So Disgusted With Duke

Duke might get better "student-athletes" than some places, and they might avoid outright illegality, but shady? Hell yes. And I know a lot of people who want Duke to lose and nobody who wants Duke to win.

It's like the Red Sox. Back before they won, the whole nation was rooting for them. They won one, and it was fun. They won two, and it was OK. Now, only Red Sox fans and Yankee haters (granted, two very big groups) want more of that.

Back in the day, Duke got to a few Final Fours and never won, including that embarrassing game against UNLV. And back in the day before one-and-dones, back when Coach K refused to hang a championship banner one year because ONE of his players didn't get a degree, Duke was easy to root for. Then they started winning. Throw in Christian Laettner, and the tide turned pretty quickly. Hating Duke, like hating the Yankees or the Cowboys, became a sign of being one of the good and decent people in the world not interested in advancing the work of the devil. Or something like that.

I hate Duke. I am a good person. Those two sentences are not unrelated.

Anyone else Coach K going the 1 and Done route was his early retirement? It doesn’t even look like he tries to coach at this point.

Duke might get better "student-athletes" than some places, and they might avoid outright illegality, but shady? Hell yes. And I know a lot of people who want Duke to lose and nobody who wants Duke to win.

It's like the Red Sox. Back before they won, the whole nation was rooting for them. They won one, and it was fun. They won two, and it was OK. Now, only Red Sox fans and Yankee haters (granted, two very big groups) want more of that.

Back in the day, Duke got to a few Final Fours and never won, including that embarrassing game against UNLV. And back in the day before one-and-dones, back when Coach K refused to hang a championship banner one year because ONE of his players didn't get a degree, Duke was easy to root for. Then they started winning. Throw in Christian Laettner, and the tide turned pretty quickly. Hating Duke, like hating the Yankees or the Cowboys, became a sign of being one of the good and decent people in the world not interested in advancing the work of the devil. Or something like that.

I hate Duke. I am a good person. Those two sentences are not unrelated.

I don't root for Duke but Michigan State and Auburn are hardly as pure as the driven snow either.

To me the best thing about this years tourney is we have 4 conferences with a team in the Final 4 .

Gives the whole country someone to root for.

If I wanted to watch professional teams I tune into the NBA. I am so glad Duke and Kentucky lost.

Don't get me wrong. I completely respect what they have built over the decades. True respect. But like any capitalist system it becomes self fulfilling system where the winners begin to eat everyone else.

LET'S GO TT AND AUBURN!!!

(Love different teams involved. But I seem to be on island since I always hear, "They" want "them" in the end)

The funny thing about this thread is that many say the NCAA wants duke to win and favors them. Yet why was Duke, the overall number 1 seed, put in the same bracket as the top ranked 2 seed in MSU. That makes no sense.
People need to put their duke conspiracy theories and ref conspiracy theories to bed.

The funny thing about this thread is that many say the NCAA wants duke to win and favors them. Yet why was Duke, the overall number 1 seed, put in the same bracket as the top ranked 2 seed in MSU. That makes no sense.
People need to put their duke conspiracy theories and ref conspiracy theories to bed.

There is no conspiracy. But people always want to blame something when someone dominates like they do.

Do refs give dynasties, "good guys" the benefit of the doubt? Sure. Jerry Rice, Jordan, Brady, the Pats, the 90s Cowboys.... Refs are human so if its tight they'll give it to the good guy ("Shit, I sort of missed it because it happened so fast. F it. Foul on Jordan. Roughing on Brady"). Or its the Pats, its the Cowboys of the '90s. Ref: "They're that good. No push off by Irving, he can separate. No pass interference, Belichick's D is better than their offenses."

There is no conspiracy. But people always want to blame something when someone dominates like they do.

Do refs give dynasties, "good guys" the benefit of the doubt? Sure. Jerry Rice, Jordan, Brady, the Pats, the 90s Cowboys.... Refs are human so if its tight they'll give it to the good guy ("Shit, I sort of missed it because it happened so fast. F it. Foul on Jordan. Roughing on Brady"). Or its the Pats, its the Cowboys of the '90s. Ref: "They're that good. No push off by Irving, he can separate. No pass interference, Belichick's D is better than their offenses."

That’s why ash gets all the calls too!

Reactions: MozRU

I like "refs are bs they favor stars/teams"

Ok, well lets expand replay to make sure things are right.

"No way. Blown calls have been part of sports forever. It'll slow down the game."

Duke and its coach are so hypocritical......can you imagine if an applicant to the history program told an interviewer from the admissions office, in response to a question regarding career aspirations, that he planned to leave college after one year and seek employment. Would he be admitted? Or would the university decide it did not want to use a spot for somone who wasn’t going to pursue a degree?

Duke and its coach are so hypocritical......can you imagine if an applicant to the history program told an interviewer from the admissions office, in response to a question regarding career aspirations, that he planned to leave college after one year and seek employment. Would he be admitted? Or would the university decide it did not want to use a spot for somone who wasn’t going to pursue a degree?

Should Rutgers turn away and not recruit potential one-and-done elite talent?

Should Rutgers turn away and not recruit potential one-and-done elite talent?
One and done, no. As a State school we have a responsibility to put academics first. There are a ton of schools who are able to recruit highly ranked athletes yet not pretend academic intentions do not
matter. One and done gets the headlines but Not necessarily a portend of great success in the
tournament.

Heard a couple interesting stats today:

Duke has made 2 FF since 2004 (2010 and 2015 - but they won the title both times).
Or....Duke has only made 1 more FF than Loyola-Chicago since 2004.

Kentucky has 3 FF and 1 championship under Calipari in 10 seasons.

Heard a couple interesting stats today:

Duke has made 2 FF since 2004 (2010 and 2015 - but they won the title both times).
Or....Duke has only made 1 more FF than Loyola-Chicago since 2004.

Kentucky has 3 FF and 1 championship under Calipari in 10 seasons.

Shows you what a good job jay wright has done with 3 final fours and two national championships in that same. period.

I like "refs are bs they favor stars/teams"

Ok, well lets expand replay to make sure things are right.

"No way. Blown calls have been part of sports forever. It'll slow down the game."
BAHAHAH. SO TRUE. YOU NAILED IT

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT