ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Stat Minutes Played Reiber vs. Miller

richthedentist

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2001
Just looked at the season stats one thing that really caught my eye is minutes played; Dean Reiber has played a total of 131 minutes and Jalen Miller who didn't even play the first 6 games has played 129 minutes; Pikell for some reason has fallen in love with him where he is playing basically about 8 minutes per game and averaging 1.0 point per game; Except for that spurt we had the other day against MSU with that funky line up with him in when he is in the game we are basically playing 4 v 5; he has the highest foul/minutes played on the team and of course leads the team in technical fouls; still not sure why he is out there so much his defense is not that good either

Geo is graduating, do you want the kid to have some experience? Still barely give Paul any credit.

That play where Miller was all over their point guard, who had to be thinking, “wtf, get this kid off me” and you could see he wanted no part of Jalen’s intensity.

So what happens? The MSU PG tries to get rid of the ball, but his pass is intercepted by Caleb, leading to a fast-break bucket.

Now tell me how that’s not a contribution by Miller to both our defense AND our offense.

On the play where Miller got hurt, he had gotten the ball stolen (may have been fouled) and proceeded to run down his man at top speed to get the ball back.

He sprains his ankle and hobbles to the ball, completing the steal, before being helped off the court.

There isn’t a coach out there that doesn’t want a player like that on his team. You win with guys like Jalen Miller.

That play where Miller was all over their point guard, who had to be thinking, “wtf, get this kid off me” and you could see he wanted no part of Jalen’s intensity.

So what happens? The MSU PG tries to get rid of the ball, but his pass is intercepted by Caleb, leading to a fast-break bucket.

Now tell me how that’s not a contribution by Miller to both our defense AND our offense.

On the play where Miller got hurt, he had gotten the ball stolen (may have been fouled) and proceeded to run down his man at top speed to get the ball back.

He sprains his ankle and hobbles to the ball, completing the steal, before being helped off the court.

There isn’t a coach out there that doesn’t want a player like that on his team. You win with guys like Jalen Miller.
Miller played well on D last game. He had other games where his D was not as good. For any long term playing time, he has to develop some kind of offensive game.

Why are you complaining about a guy playing 7 minutes a game especially when he is coming off the best game of his career where he helped propel us to a blowout win over a ranked team?

If pike “loves” you but only plays you 7 minutes a game I would hate to see what it looks like when pikiell doesn’t like you.

Why are you complaining about a guy playing 7 minutes a game especially when he is coming off the best game of his career where he helped propel us to a blowout win over a ranked team?

If pike “loves” you but only plays you 7 minutes a game I would hate to see what it looks like when pikiell doesn’t like you.
Jaden Jones

Geo is graduating, do you want the kid to have some experience? Still barely give Paul any credit.
Give Paul plenty of credit he is finally shooting first and that is creating more passing lanes for him which of course is leading to more dunks and it wasn't just me read Hawk's posts;
All I've said if Paul looks to shoot his shot especially when he gets in the lane which he does by backing down his man he is so much more dangerous and now with the second half of the NW game which skyrocketed his confidence this team will be so much better the rest of the way with Paul a true 1-3 option on offense with Geo and RHJ and leading to so many more open shots

I root for all the kids. Miller isn't a complete player for us yet. But kids can develop and let's hope he does. As for right now, he's a nice spark on D, and for 7 minutes a game it doesn't matter that much. Next year though something needs to improve. He's playing because we just don't have any better guards. That's a problem.

You are getting close to be #10. I have 9 on the ignore list.

I refuse to believe that you or anyone doesn't see what Miller brings to the table.

Do you watch the games or just look at the box scores?
Sad to say, he is not the only one on these board. I can name at least 2 others that have been on that soapbox as well. Nitpicking Miller's defense and complaining about offense (4 against 5 nonsense) even though he normally plays in about 3 minute spurts to apply pressure and bring intensity when the team needs it.

I've reached the conclusion that there are a group of posters that always look for some player to complain about...they have to have one at all times. 🤔🤔🤔

Last edited:
I root for all the kids. Miller isn't a complete player for us yet. But kids can develop and let's hope he does. As for right now, he's a nice spark on D, and for 7 minutes a game it doesn't matter that much. Next year though something needs to improve. He's playing because we just don't have any better guards. That's a problem.
NO.....he is playing because of his defense. Not because we don't have better. Every freshmen in America has a part of their game they need to develop. For some it's offense, for some it's defense. For some its both. Do you remember Mulcahy's defense as a freshmen? He is not great now, still has issues with quick players, but he is not horrible.

Last edited:

I saw the same thing, he was scrambling (crawling) on one leg with just seconds left, with the team
leading by 21 pts. I won't mention names, but we have
a few starters that could have used his energy. Good man to have around.

Last edited:
I mean... I believe that Rich doesn't see it
I get the liability on offense. He is a preferred walkon on offense and a B1G starter on defense. Jalen Miller has been asked to do a lot on the defensive end. He has turned the momentum on 2 or 3 of our wins. We have documented the slow starts. the slow start games we have won most have been turned by Mag or Miller.

NO.....he is playing because of his defense. Not because we don't have better. Every freshmen in America has a part of their game they need to develop. For some it's offense, for some it's defense. For some its both.
There is a valuable spot on this team for the next 3 years even if he never develops on offense (which quite frankly I am not expecting a ton).

We are in this mess right now because starters have played too many minutes. Having a capable bench is EXTREMELY important. If the floor for Reiber and Miller are giving a team 10 quality minutes off the bench in their RU career that is very valuable. We'd have 2 more wins this year if we could rely on a bench early in the year

I get the liability on offense. He is a preferred walkon on offense and a B1G starter on defense. Jalen Miller has been asked to do a lot on the defensive end. He has turned the momentum on 2 or 3 of our wins. We have documented the slow starts. the slow start games we have won most have been turned by Mag or Miller.
I don't totally agree on the liability part. He keeps the ball moving, he does not over dribble and defenders don't leave him open to double other players, he is not forcing up bad shots from the outside and he is not a turnover machine. That's a liability to me.

Last edited:
I don't totally agree on the liability part. He keeps the ball moving, he does not over dribble and defenders don't leave him open to double other players.
We really don't have enough of a sample to see if he could run an offense for 8-10 minutes with an opposing team looking to make him work. So far it has mostly been other people when he is in the game. I'd like to see him be able to be a pure backup PG.

Reactions: Scangg
We really don't have enough of a sample to see if he could run an offense for 8-10 minutes with an opposing team looking to make him work. So far it has mostly been other people when he is in the game. I'd like to see him be able to be a pure backup PG.
IMO, We have not seen it because the vets run the offense. With his quickness on defense, I expect him to eventually use that same quickness on offense to dribble penetrate and dish.

No doubt it will slow down for him. Caleb was an absolute train wreck as a freshman when Pike tried him as a back up PG
They are not comparable. Caleb was a viable scoring option when in the game as a frosh. Miller really isn’t right now.

But I also don’t think it’s fair to lump Miller into the PWO category on the offensive end. Walk ons typically get stripped pretty quickly if inserted into the game with power conference starters - they would be walking turnovers. Miller has at least demonstrated an ability to be the equivalent of a “game managing QB” for short stretches on the offensive end.

Good point from OP. Miller coming in at first sign of trouble routinely in 1H is a big part of our 1H woes.

They are not comparable. Caleb was a viable scoring option when in the game as a frosh. Miller really isn’t right now.

But I also don’t think it’s fair to lump Miller into the PWO category on the offensive end. Walk ons typically get stripped pretty quickly if inserted into the game with power conference starters - they would be walking turnovers. Miller has at least demonstrated an ability to be the equivalent of a “game managing QB” for short stretches on the offensive end.
The only comparison is a freshman being asked to be a backup PG in B1G.

I really think if Pike thought more of him offensively he would have been in the rotation Day 1. I suppose he thought or hoped Hyatt and Jones would be ahead of Miller and leave no time for Jalen.

I really think if Pike thought more of him offensively he would have been in the rotation Day 1. I suppose he thought or hoped Hyatt and Jones would be ahead of Miller and leave no time for Jalen.
I agree with this. As a developmental player he seems worth the investment. But it's not a good thing that such a flawed player was forced into action as a freshman. It's just not. He's doing OK. But ideally we'd have someone better eating up those minutes and Miller would have more time to develop.

You're right, Reiber should be playing more of Miller's minutes backing up the 1.

???

Clearly the staff feels Miller can do more to help us win than Jones right now. Simple as that.

I agree with this. As a developmental player he seems worth the investment. But it's not a good thing that such a flawed player was forced into action as a freshman. It's just not. He's doing OK. But ideally we'd have someone better eating up those minutes and Miller would have more time to develop.
I'd like to think a RU player would defend like Miller and be an offensive player that be a 12+ PPG combo guard that can shoot. I am hoping that is what we can find in the portal. I was hoping we would have that type of player this year, but that was squashed.

I don't think you will find many freshman that can have the impact Miller has on the defensive end. Maybe he sticks out because of the guards we have defensively, but I think he is pretty darn good on the defensive end.

Sad to say, he is not the only one on these board. I can name at least 2 others that have been on that soapbox as well. Nitpicking Miller's defense and complaining about offense (4 against 5 nonsense) even though he normally plays in about 3 minute spurts to apply pressure and bring intensity when the team needs it.

I've reached the conclusion that there are a group of posters that always look for some player to complain about...they have to have one at all times. 🤔🤔🤔
The problem is he is not playing in 3 minute spurts ie the Md game he came in the score was 9-7 MD he played 7 straight minutes and when he left we were down like 22-11 of course not all his fault but at this time we can't have him out on the court; he will be a good player down the line but at this point it is correct we are playing 4 v 5 on offense when he is out there

I'd like to think a RU player would defend like Miller and be an offensive player that be a 12+ PPG combo guard that can shoot. I am hoping that is what we can find in the portal. I was hoping we would have that type of player this year, but that was squashed.

I don't think you will find many freshman that can have the impact Miller has on the defensive end. Maybe he sticks out because of the guards we have defensively, but I think he is pretty darn good on the defensive end.

For a Big 10 team, his D is better than average and his O is much worse than average. Compared with other top Big 10 subs, he nets out below average IMO. Given the lackluster energy the team has showed in some games, I get that his energy on D might have been just what this team needed. So I think it's reasonable to say his value for this particular team at this particular time is greater than just the net of his performance on D minus his performance on O. But if we project that forward to next year with no RHJ or Geo, it's trouble. He's not developing at a pace that suggests he could be a serviceable starter next year. But who knows, he might break out. That would be awesome. But I also think it's reasonable to see what he is today and conclude that we could be doing better, and be worried for next year.

Last edited:

He pressures him so much he picked up the ball. Then when he tried to pass, Miller's quickly shifted right to left with active arms to cut off any passing lanes. You have to search long and hard to see that kind of defensive intensity. I hit rewind about 5 times to rewatch his defense..... 😀😀😀😀

The two really are applies and oranges though. PG is Miller’s natural position. He’s never going to play anywhere else, and it’s not the ball handling skills that seem to be his issue anyway so Caleb’s issues trying to fill that role as a frosh aren’t really relevant to him. The question is whether Jalen is going to be able to score at all at this level. It’s one thing to be defense first, but your ceiling is definitely more limited if you don’t have any semblance of a mid-range or perimeter game and can’t penetrate. It’s at those skills where your assessment of PWO level comes into play. But maybe he just needs to get more comfortable with the speed of the game. If not, he’s not likely to develop into a 15+ minute player. It’s one thing not to be a great offensive player - it’s quite another to only be able to score occasionally in transition off a steal. But for 8 minutes a game he’s serving a purpose right now and helping the team overall based on the available options.

For a Big 10 team, his D is better than average and his O is much worse than average. Compared with other top Big 10 subs, he nets out below average IMO. Given the lackluster energy the team has showed in some games, I get that his energy on D might have been just what this team needed. So I think it's reasonable to say his value for this particular team at this particular time is greater than just the net of his performance on D minus his performance on O. But if we project that forward to next year with no RHJ or Geo, it's trouble. He's not developing at a pace that suggests he could be a serviceable starter next year. But who knows, he might break out. That would be awesome. But I also think it's reasonable to see what he is today and conclude that we could be doing better, and be worried for next year.
He does not need to be starter next year. Mulcahy and McConnell will be back. Hopefully, Jaden Jones develops enough to be the 3rd perimeter starter. Not every player needs to be a starter. Career backups play an important role.

Miller should be more like Andre Curbelo on Illinois as a true freshmen. One good play followed by 2 straight turnovers and 1 forced outside shot.... 😀😀

Last edited:
He does not need to be starter next year. Mulcahy and McConnell will be back. Hopefully, Jaden Jones develops enough to be the 3rd perimeter starter. Not every player needs to be a starter. Career backups play an important role.

Miller should be more like Andre Curbelo on Illinois as a true freshmen. One good play followed by 2 straight turnovers and 1 forced outside shot.... 😀😀
My comments aren't just applicable to a scenario with him as a starter. It's applicable to any increased role.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT