ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Stat Minutes Played Reiber vs. Miller

I don't totally agree on the liability part. He keeps the ball moving, he does not over dribble and defenders don't leave him open to double other players, he is not forcing up bad shots from the outside and he is not a turnover machine. That's a liability to me.
He becomes a liability when teams go zone

He does not need to be starter next year. Mulcahy and McConnell will be back. Hopefully, Jaden Jones develops enough to be the 3rd perimeter starter. Not every player needs to be a starter. Career backups play an important role.

Miller should be more like Andre Curbelo on Illinois as a true freshmen. One good play followed by 2 straight turnovers and 1 forced outside shot.... 😀😀
Lol you guys and your comps

Probably said the same thing about Dean Reiber after 15 games....lol
I did not. For one thing, Reiber's minutes increased over time...his PT was better linked to his performance. Also he showed early flashes...more like your Curbello analogy. Something good to build on, something bad to work on. We are lucky that Reiber has blown up. But ideally, even with Reiber, you give your projects more time to develop before throwing them into the fire and hoping they blow up. Any way you slice it our lack of quality depth is a hindrance to the team.

Is it really a stretch to say he’s the weakest rotational player in the conference? Probably not. Don’t think there is a need to attack the OP. Unfortunately it seems we are in the position depth wise where pike feels he needs to play him.

Watch Miller’s highlight reel from high school. He has some offensive skills — good handle, good finisher in traffic and a nice stroke from deep.

Right now I see a kid who’s asked to defend and defer to others on offense. He’s so hyped up when he does go to the hoop that he doesn’t finish smoothly and misses the shot, and he doesn’t feel confident enough yet to take a three when open.

I think all of this gets addressed in time for the start of next season. In the meantime for now he makes his presence felt with his defensive effort, while giving a few minutes rest to others.

Watch Miller’s highlight reel from high school. He has some offensive skills — good handle, good finisher in traffic and a nice stroke from deep.

Right now I see a kid who’s asked to defend and defer to others on offense. He’s so hyped up when he does go to the hoop that he doesn’t finish smoothly and misses the shot, and he doesn’t feel confident enough yet to take a three when open.

I think all of this gets addressed in time for the start of next season. In the meantime for now he makes his presence felt with his defensive effort, while giving a few minutes rest to others.
Let's put it this way, I think he missed the part of the schedule that is supposed to be for kids like him to learn the college game and slow things down. So for him to be on a reasonable trajectory of growth we'd expect to see some flashes of those skills starting about now.

Give Paul plenty of credit he is finally shooting first and that is creating more passing lanes for him which of course is leading to more dunks and it wasn't just me read Hawk's posts;
All I've said if Paul looks to shoot his shot especially when he gets in the lane which he does by backing down his man he is so much more dangerous and now with the second half of the NW game which skyrocketed his confidence this team will be so much better the rest of the way with Paul a true 1-3 option on offense with Geo and RHJ and leading to so many more open shots
You actually started an entire thread on the second half of Northwestern and didn't mention Paul once

The two really are applies and oranges though. PG is Miller’s natural position. He’s never going to play anywhere else, and it’s not the ball handling skills that seem to be his issue anyway so Caleb’s issues trying to fill that role as a frosh aren’t really relevant to him. The question is whether Jalen is going to be able to score at all at this level. It’s one thing to be defense first, but your ceiling is definitely more limited if you don’t have any semblance of a mid-range or perimeter game and can’t penetrate. It’s at those skills where your assessment of PWO level comes into play. But maybe he just needs to get more comfortable with the speed of the game. If not, he’s not likely to develop into a 15+ minute player. It’s one thing not to be a great offensive player - it’s quite another to only be able to score occasionally in transition off a steal. But for 8 minutes a game he’s serving a purpose right now and helping the team overall based on the available options.
If he develops in to a 15+ MPG guy great. If we get 8-10 MPG for 3 more years of what he is doing now + ability to be a game management QB I'll be very happy too.

Relative to average RU fan we are higher on Caleb. Miller is my type of guy.

There is a valuable spot on this team for the next 3 years even if he never develops on offense (which quite frankly I am not expecting a ton).

We are in this mess right now because starters have played too many minutes. Having a capable bench is EXTREMELY important. If the floor for Reiber and Miller are giving a team 10 quality minutes off the bench in their RU career that is very valuable. We'd have 2 more wins this year if we could rely on a bench early in the year

I agree about our bench. I was hoping for more out of Hyatt, but it has yet to click for him. He has really struggled to make shots (shooting just 35.8%) and his D is just okay. Mag’s injury was also a big set back for the bench.

37 but I'll allow it. Had 3, 30+ point games actually
Imagine if they had a 3 point line back then? Would have been 45. 😅

I think my career high was 9 as a sophomore. Played more as a sophomore than as a senior or junior.

Pretty sure I dropped 30 one game in intramurals at Cook. One game we beat the football team by 20+ and I think we were something stupid like 20-25 from 3.

Reactions: Scangg
Is it really a stretch to say he’s the weakest rotational player in the conference? Probably not. Don’t think there is a need to attack the OP. Unfortunately it seems we are in the position depth wise where pike feels he needs to play him.
Please get a clue with your ridiculous posts and ridiculous defending of people posting more stupid stuff. He is a freshman , start there. He plays in the Big 10 not some Rinky Dink conference where there are grown men. He only plays 7-10 minutes a game. He puts pressure on the ball handler disrupting the other team from getting into their sets and into a rhythm. Are all these obvious things so hard for you and the dentist to process? You try to post and act smart but sometimes your posts are just dumb.

Please get a clue with your ridiculous posts and ridiculous defending of people posting more stupid stuff. He is a freshman , start there. He plays in the Big 10 not some Rinky Dink conference where there are grown men. He only plays 7-10 minutes a game. He puts pressure on the ball handler disrupting the other team from getting into their sets and into a rhythm. Are all these obvious things so hard for you and the dentist to process? You try to post and act smart but sometimes your posts are just dumb.
Ok first you need to calm down and learn how to have a discussion lol

What’s obvious is Miller's bpm is -4.6. This overall point is not an indictment of inefficient freshman - so start there - freshman all over the conference have much more positive impacts. How low are you setting the bar?

Maybe those who feel like you are unaware of the negative impact he has overall and have low expectations for our freshman from not watching other games across the league.

What’s obvious is Miller's bpm is -4.6. This overall point is not an indictment of inefficient freshman - so start there - freshman all over the conference have much more positive impacts. How low are you setting the bar?

Maybe those who feel like you are unaware of the negative impact he has overall and have low expectations for our freshman from not watching other games across the league.
Please educate yourself on BPm and how it is calculated and then come back to us with your findings.

I am a quant guy…..you just supplies us with garbage.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Imagine if they had a 3 point line back then? Would have been 45. 😅

I think my career high was 9 as a sophomore. Played more as a sophomore than as a senior or junior.

Pretty sure I dropped 30 one game in intramurals at Cook. One game we beat the football team by 20+ and I think we were something stupid like 20-25 from 3.
I'm not that old! I graduated in '02 and there was a 3 point line

I had 93 3's my senior year which was the school record. 23 ppg lead the conference

Ahhh the glory days

It was a joke, did you miss the laughing faces? But, Curbelo scored some but he was still a TO machine and forced more bad shots then most. A net negative as a true freshmen.
What?! Curbelo was not a net negative holy hell lol. Curbelo was over 50% efg and ts% and averaged over 4 assists a game as a freshman.

A friend shared your take with me and surmised from the poll about not watching other teams games you probably watched 20 possession of Curbelo on the year and made a stand lol

I think we’re missing one aspect when evaluating Miller’s lack of offensive production. Suppose he was replaced by someone who plays poor defense and shoots 28% from the field. Aren’t we better off with Miller taking no shots and deferring to guys who shoot 33-42% while getting his outstanding defensive effort? Not to mention some much needed rest for our guards?

Reactions: Scarlet83

Greene addressed the substance of your ridiculous reply. Now let’s get back to your actual words “ the weakest rotational player” in the conference. He didn’t play the first 9 games , He is being used sparingly to give Geo or Paul or Caleb a blow since they should not be playing 35-36 minutes a game . His coming in for 3-4 minutes each half to give them a rest and pressure up the other team’s point guard is a good thing. By the way he was one of the 5 on the floor during that 10-0 second half run against Michigan State that was crucial when Pike was trying to rest Geo, Ron and Cliff . So he wasn’t a negative there. So please open your eyes and understand roles of players and what a coach tries to do with freshman in this league.

Greene addressed the substance of your ridiculous reply. Now let’s get back to your actual words “ the weakest rotational player” in the conference. He didn’t play the first 9 games , He is being used sparingly to give Geo or Paul or Caleb a blow since they should not be playing 35-36 minutes a game . His coming in for 3-4 minutes each half to give them a rest and pressure up the other team’s point guard is a good thing. By the way he was one of the 5 on the floor during that 10-0 second half run against Michigan State that was crucial when Pike was trying to rest Geo, Ron and Cliff . So he wasn’t a negative there. So please open your eyes and understand roles of players and what a coach tries to do with freshman in this league.
Greene didn’t address anything lol. Because there was one positive +/- stretch for Miller in his whole season that’s proof he’s not a negative? Plenty of players are used sparingly and still add on court value so not playing much really has no bearing here. He can have a small role and be a net negative in that small role - mitigating weakness if he did play even more.

My god I think any real discussion on this is hopeless given your responses. Sorry I engaged with you on it. Please don’t quote/reply

It’s quite amazing some people will harp on a true freshman who plays 3-4 minutes a half, brings a ton of energy and provides our starters much needed breathers.

His minutes should definitely be limited and he doesn’t provide much offense but there’s so many other things to be concerned about or devote attention to imo.

You only need a set of eyes and maybe attend a couple games to say that Miller has provided some value to the team this year, despite whatever random stat you want to pull to say otherwise.

I’m more concerned about Hyatts play. He hasn’t lived up to the expectations so far and seems to be pushing or forcing things lately on offense and his defense hasn’t been that great.

It’s quite amazing some people will harp on a true freshman who plays 3-4 minutes a half, brings a ton of energy and provides our starters much needed breathers.

His minutes should definitely be limited and he doesn’t provide much offense but there’s so many other things to be concerned about or devote attention to imo.

You only need a set of eyes and maybe attend a couple games to say that Miller has provided some value to the team this year, despite whatever random stat you want to pull to say otherwise.

I’m more concerned about Hyatts play. He hasn’t lived up to the expectations so far and seems to be pushing or forcing things lately.
Eyes and natural biases can deceive and looking at data as a supporting resource is useful in uncovering those instances. There is no harm in discussing that. Maybe there is a negative value in suppressing those discussions. Not sure why someone would want to ignore those things.

No one denies Miller doesn’t try hard and or that other players need rest.

Greene didn’t address anything lol. Because there was one positive +/- stretch for Miller in his whole season that’s proof he’s not a negative? Plenty of players are used sparingly and still add on court value so not playing much really has no bearing here. He can have a small role and be a net negative in that small role - mitigating weakness if he did play even more.

My god I think any real discussion on this is hopeless given your responses. Sorry I engaged with you on it. Please don’t quote/reply
No it’s not that. He’s most often brought into the game when Pike wants/needs to sit two of his 3 starting guards at the same time. To be the second ball handler on the floor. And not allowed the defense to get shredded. This specific purpose. We don’t have a better bench choice for this role. Hyatt’s ball handling is atrocious.

So in almost all instances where Miller checks into the game, at least 2 starters are sitting. Usually more. Of course his +/- is going to look bad for this reason.

I'm not that old! I graduated in '02 and there was a 3 point line

I had 93 3's my senior year which was the school record. 23 ppg lead the conference

Ahhh the glory days
I wish I played with a 3 pt line. Played during a time with no 3 pt line and dunking not allowed. I could do both.

No it’s not that. He’s most often brought into the game when Pike wants/needs to sit two of his 3 starting guards at the same time. To be the second ball handler on the floor. And not allowed the defense to get shredded. This specific purpose. We don’t have a better bench choice for this role. Hyatt’s ball handling is atrocious.

So in almost all instances where Miller checks into the game, at least 2 starters are sitting. Usually more. Of course his +/- is going to look bad for this reason.
I’d believe that if his metrics weren’t worse than Mag, Hyatt, and Reiber.

Millers PER is 2.8 which is pretty bad small role or not. I don’t think any rotation player in conference has worse. Quick look around for reference Lat mayen has a rating of 7.2 that's the lowest of Nebraska's core rotation players.

Eyes and natural biases can deceive and looking at data as a supporting resource is useful in uncovering those instances. There is no harm in discussing that. Maybe there is a negative value in suppressing those discussions. Not sure why someone would want to ignore those things.

No one denies Miller doesn’t try hard and or that other players need rest.

Who do you propose playing for 3-4 minutes a half when our starters are gassed?

Is there a stat that tracks the energy or intensity of a team? I know you weren’t impressed with his couple minutes against Purdue but if you were there you would have realized he had a positive impact on that game, regardless of his stats.

Miller definitely has a long way to go and shouldn’t be playing more than 6-7 a game (and maybe less). But he’s a true freshman and we have a short bench. Many other things to be concerned or waste energy debating .

I wish I played with a 3 pt line. Played during a time with no 3 pt line and dunking not allowed. I could do both.
That's a damn shame. I could never dunk sadly. Looks like a good time lol

When did HS adopt a 3 point line?

I’d believe that if his metrics weren’t worse than Mag, Hyatt, and Reiber.
First of all, he doesn’t play the same position as any of these guys. It would never be between subbing in him or Reiber. One plays PG the other plays center. Miller is coming in to defend the smallest guard on the floor and to help with ball handling. We’re not using Hyatt for that either.

Second of all - his defensive metrics are bad mostly because he fouls a lot, not because he gives open lanes to the basket and wide open 3s (Hyatt and Jones).

Who do you propose playing for 3-4 minutes a half when our starters are gassed?

Is there a stat that tracks the energy or intensity of a team? I know you weren’t impressed with his couple minutes against Purdue but if you were there you would have realized he had a positive impact on that game, regardless of his stats.

Miller definitely has a long way to go and shouldn’t be playing more than 6-7 a game (and maybe less). But he’s a true freshman and we have a short bench. Many other things to be concerned or waste energy debating .
I prefer staggering minutes of the three primary guards and having McConnell handle point more.

But we’re not really talking about who should we play instead we’re talking about the quality of Millers minutes. I agree with OP that the quality of Millers minutes is overstated.

To be fair I think i made a harmless and accurate point and am not the one who prolonged the conversation by arguing in favor of millers quality. I do agree the people who tried to do that could be concerned about other things and wasted energy debating otherwise when there was little argument it any to make supporting that.

Reactions: S_Janowski
First of all, he doesn’t play the same position as any of these guys. It would never be between subbing in him or Reiber. One plays PG the other plays center. Miller is coming in to defend the smallest guard on the floor and to help with ball handling. We’re not using Hyatt for that either.

Second of all - his defensive metrics are bad mostly because he fouls a lot, not because he gives open lanes to the basket and wide open 3s (Hyatt and Jones).
I bolded your plus minus comment when I replied. His plus minus is not bad just because two starters sit. Our other bench players have better +/- numbers and they come in in similar and often worse situations when it comes to number of starters on bench. Miller has been first and only off the bench in many instances the last few weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT