ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Stat Minutes Played Reiber vs. Miller

This OP started thread(s) criticizing Mulcahy and indicating he always belonged on the bench.

Now there's a new target-freshman Miller. Putting aside the just plain poor analysis on both issues, how about stop going off on campaigns against specific players.

Game analysis and discussion is part and parcel of what occurs. Campaigns directed against specific player seems like not a thing that should be occurring here, especially amongst the faithful.

Several guys on here are not happy unless they are ripping some of our guys. Miller plays a role on defense and adds a spark to the team. Some have ripped Baker, Harper, McConnell, Hyatt, Mulcahy, Agee-Gonzalez, Palmquist, Mag, Miller, Omoruyi and Jones. It is horrible. On top off that now Scangg bragging how great he was as a 3 point shooter & scorer. I wonder what school he played at? You can't make this stuff up.

Reactions: TRU2RU
I wish I played with a 3 pt line. Played during a time with no 3 pt line and dunking not allowed. I could do both.
Was there a trampoline and a halftime show involved? 😅. But yes I know what you mean… a 3 pt line would have been nice. Dunking was allowed in my day.

Was there a trampoline and a halftime show involved? 😅. But yes I know what you mean… a 3 pt line would have been nice. Dunking was allowed in my day.
We were under Lew Alcindor rule. Dunking was banned. Reinstated during James Bailey Soph year. It was a technical foul even if you did it in warmups.

I bolded your plus minus comment when I replied. His plus minus is not bad just because two starters sit. Our other bench players have better +/- numbers and they come in in similar and often worse situations when it comes to number of starters on bench. Miller has been first and only off the bench in many instances the last few weeks.
It has to do with who is being subbed for and the dynamics of the game. Miller is the best ball handler on the bench. It’s not even close. After Mag, he’s the next best perimeter defender on the bench too. That doesn’t make him great at these things, but in certain situations he’s our best available option.

When you say he’s the worst rotational player in the BIG - on offense that’s probably fair. He’s also probably the only frosh content to come in and not shoot the ball unless he has a bunny under the basket and doesn’t take plays off on defense. You don’t see that combination often from anyone let alone a frosh. Most kids don’t want that role and end up forcing shots. Get taken out of the rotation.

It is absolutely useless when evaluating contributions defensively.
Yup. Especially in Miller’s case where Pike often brings him in when we have a low foul count late in the first half. We don’t care that much if Miller picks up a few reach in fouls if the team count is 4 and only 3 minutes until half time. Those side outs don’t really hurting us even though they are inefficient from a stat perspective.

People like this remind me of the die hard covid mandaters they just can’t admit they were wrong and move on. For the pikie haters it is something new everyday. We could win a national championship and people would complain we didn’t win it by enough points.

these people don’t live on this planet

Miller is an easy kid to root for. Works his ass off, meshes well with his teammates and plays really aggressive defense. He’s not a 5-star can’t miss player; he’s a kid who will have to gain enough game experience over the next full season before he starts to prove he can be trusted. Not unlike Mag or Reiber. Some of you need to give the kid a chance to learn and make some mistakes. It’s how he’ll improve, plus you can bet Pike has him on a very short leash offensively. He’s in to move the ball and play defense. I notice the kid can also rebound a little. He’s a total spark plug and I love his compete level. By his junior season he’s going to be good.

1. Jalen Miller does bring something to the table with his defensive intensity.
2. Jalen Miller is a liability on offense.
3. I think overall he is a net negative at this point (not massively).
4. I understand why Steve Pikiell plays him.
5. I wish we had better options than a freshman that was ticketed to redshirt.
6. Given the offensive development of some other lower-ranked recruits (Eugene, Myles, Dean) I am willing to be patient with his medium- and long-term outlook.
7. I always appreciate players who play hard, and Miller certainly does.

It comes down to roster construction. Geo Baker is the only other true guard on the team. McConnell and Mulcahy are quasi-guards. So I understand why Miller is playing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT