ADVERTISEMENT

Is Ash in trouble?

If you guys want a big name coach why don't you donate the $4-5 million it's going to take?

If you're not then stop complaining.

Ash was the Defensive Coordinator of a National Championship team. He's not some scrub.
I've said this before but people throw around the word "proven" coach etc.. but it's really just a fallacy. Save a select few like Meyer, Saban, etc..and a few other maybe there aren't many "proven" coaches out there because success in one place doesn't necessarily translate to success in another. A small handful can win just about anywhere.

You'd think Bielema was a "proven" coach moving from Wisconsin to Arkansas but nope and I actually still think he's a solid coach despite Arkansas. How about Tuberville after Auburn and then his stints and TT and Cincy? Charlie Strong from Louisville to Texas? There are others.

That 4-5M likely isn't even enough as it's only just 1 year salary and btw it guarantees you nothing. As I've said in the past just look at the SEC and all the money they've handed out to coaches recently. What did all the millions spent get many of them? A bloated contract sandwich they had to eat....yum!

I'm indifferent to Ash but didn't the DC off a national champ team just take UGA to the champ game in his 2nd year? Not bad. That doesn't mean Ash will be good but point is if the person has a track record deserving of an opportunity I have no complaints. Give him his shot and if he stinks move on. It's more about identifying the right coach than just throwing around money and that's an inexact science. Money is just helpful in erasing mistakes quicker and possibly retaining a coach but even then if they want to leave they will. All the risk is borne by the school and you're not even guaranteed the reward but unfortunately behavior never changes among most ADs.

Reactions: vkj91 and sct1111
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT