ADVERTISEMENT

Is it possible for a recruit to develop into a good three point shooter after coming to Rutgers?

I wonder if part of this is recruiting. More weapons make it tougher for the defense. Plus repetition in practice. Knowing how to get open, knowing the plays. I expect Geo to be better next year. Issa too. How much better? I don't know, but experience will help.

There is no doubt that the talent around you factors in. 7-footer Isaac Haas down low certainly helps the Purdue guards get great looks from three. Conversely, the loss of an outside shooting game this year has hurt Wisconsin's Ethan Happ, who is constantly double teamed with no one to kick it out to.

I've always been under the opinion that while someone can improve their shooting, basically great shooters are born.
Same thought. An average HS shooter can probably get better. It matters if he shot 3's in HS too. If he was good from 15', he should have been making shots from 20. Just the opposite of someone who can't shoot. As long as you can reach the basket from 3 point range without forcing it, that's key for a shooter.
Really great shooters are a little like great pinch hitters. Wake up at 3 am, step on the practice court and swish. No thinking, it just happens.
A little like fg kickers too. Can't make them if you can't kick that distance.
It's ability and eye coordination which brings confidence. I never played college ball, but played against some good college guys. I could shoot from 30' just like it was 15' with accuracy. No three point shot than, just long two's.
Of course, if you can't get good shots, your percentage probably will suffer.
Born trumps potential from three.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT