ADVERTISEMENT

Is the NIT the best case scenario for this team?

mikemarc1

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2005
I’ve made my feelings known on this board the last few weeks. I think this team is pretty overrated by the National media and don’t think it’s an NCAA team just yet. But that’s not here or there or the purpose of this thread. I ask:

Is this team and program better off with a long NIT run and we take over the Garden again rather than a 1st round NCAA exit?

I think an NIT win, or at least a run to the Garden..will be much more beneficial for the team in the long run. Next year was always the realistic NCAA year.

I’ve made my feelings known on this board the last few weeks. I think this team is pretty overrated by the National media and don’t think it’s an NCAA team just yet. But that’s not here or there or the purpose of this thread. I ask:

Is this team and program better off with a long NIT run and we take over the Garden again rather than a 1st round NCAA exit?

I think an NIT win, or at least a run to the Garden..will be much more beneficial for the team in the long run. Next year was always the realistic NCAA year.

umm, no

I do agree that this team is grossly overrated.

Obviously not. Beat Northwestern, beat ONE of Michigan, Illinois, and Maryland at home. Beat ONE of Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin, and Penn State on the road.

That's 10-10 and gets us in.

We are still in the top group of the big ten where 10 team will make the dance. Losing on the road is a norm for this conference. Plus, our loses are not bad loses.

Reactions: JQRU91
Ok. Haha.

I think the team benefits much greater with 4 postseason wins in nit than a quick one and done in NCAA.

Not in my opinion. The NIT is more fun in a way, obviously, because there's more low-hanging fruit.

But there's nothing like an NCAA bid, especially for an emerging program like Rutgers. A first-round loss is better than a few wins over nobodies in the NIT...

dude you need to take 24 hour rule for this board. I know you generally a troll on the boards...3rd straight awful thread.

go away now

Ok. Haha.

I think the team benefits much greater with 4 postseason wins in nit than a quick one and done in NCAA.
If Baker and Harper start coming back to form, there's no reason why this team can't make a run in the NCAA tournament.

somerhing tells me the Young incident could be an inflection point.

If it is DUI I want Us to suspend him for the season. I do put us at 50/50 without him

Ok. Haha.

My brother, I've had similar thoughts. But it never plays out that way. After a zillion years of following college basketball, I will posit that there's no value in anything that can be accomplished in the NIT that exceeds the worst possible performance in the NCAAs.

My brother, I've had similar thoughts. But it never plays out that way. After a zillion years of following college basketball, I will posit that there's no value in anything that can be accomplished in the NIT that exceeds the worst possible performance in the NCAAs.

you ask that question when you dont get a ncaa bid on selection sunday, not when you are a projected 7 seed in February

Reactions: dconifer
dude you need to take 24 hour rule for this board. I know you generally a troll on the boards...3rd straight awful thread.

go away now

Nah..I’m not going to go away.

Just asking a question.

I would obviously love an NCAA berth (I already took off work and will go). But again I think an NIT title vs. a quick one and done in NCAA (although exciting a memorable) is much more beneficial for this young team.

You are an effing moron who shouldn't be allowed to post with the grown-ups. Enough. The NIT being the best case scenario for a team that hasn't danced in 29 years is perhaps the dumbest post I've ever seen on any RU sports board and that includes posts by RutgersAl.

Reactions: bac2therac
You are an effing moron who shouldn't be allowed to post with the grown-ups. Enough. The NIT being the best case scenario for a team that hasn't danced in 29 years is perhaps the dumbest post I've ever seen on any RU sports board and that includes posts by RutgersAl.

Is it the question or the timing of the question that’s dumb?

Other posters admitted they’ve thought similar..so is it really that absurd??

GTFO OP.

To the rest, our fanbase is patient and great with a few exceptions. We can all list them. There should be a bizarro board for mikemarc and rulou and the other tone deaf posters to commiserate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT