ADVERTISEMENT

Is this still a Football Forum ?

This forum has become a dumping ground for any issue on one's mind. Next season could be an exciting time for football fans that's being drowned out by miscellaneous current events totally unrelated to Rutgers football. What's up? Does anyone care?
Irony alert, irony alert, irony alert

trick-football.gif

OP be like...

This forum has become a dumping ground for any issue on one's mind. Next season could be an exciting time for football fans that's being drowned out by miscellaneous current events totally unrelated to Rutgers football. What's up? Does anyone care?
The quiet before the storm. For me, not much matters until we get new intel about the QB competition.

Your last three posts in this forum were in the below threads.

1) Italy travel recommendations
2) RIP Charles Osgood
3) Sports Illustrated dead

Prior to that you posted in the NIL thread saying you donate to academics, not sports. That is your contribution this year to this board prior to your windging here earlier today.

I rest my case, I mean I rest your case….

Last edited:
Keep the politics out of this thread folks.
Dammit! I had a GREAT joke lined up. But I had to mention: cons, libs, and indies to make the joke work.

You always ruin all my fun. 😭

I kid, I kid. Ignore all that. This is the real message I'm sending you, Spanksterooni, you ole Spankster, you:

Valentines Day Love GIF

😀

• Angry
Reactions: Spanky Da Dickhead
Personally, the evolution of the purpose of this board mirrors how I feel about the program. It was hard to remain engaged during the slow decline after Schiano 1.0, and then the precipitous drop during Ash, the weekly beatdowns in our own house, and now with the portal and NIL, it's really hard to get invested in the players. We used to have a team full of Johnny Langans. We also haven't had a signature win in what feels like years. When is the last time we won a big upset? I can't believe we couldn't go to the wire with Penn State once in all the years we were in their division. I'm rambling, but I guess I'm just saying that my own interest has waned for a myriad of reasons, and I think this is a pretty cool place with a lot of great characters to discuss anything, particularly Jersey-related stuff, and we all know we share a common interest in RU Ball. We should have an OT forum though.

I think this is a pretty cool place with a lot of great characters to discuss anything, particularly Jersey-related stuff, and we all know we share a common interest in RU Ball. We should have an OT forum though.
I agree with the first sentence, it is a cool, fun, place with great characters and lots of fun, often humorous exchanges between those characters.

But, while a separate OT forum (rigidly politics-free please) would be okay, I feel like it's mostly unnecessary. Because it's really very easy for people to just skip past any threads about which they have no interest. And the "OT" thing in thread titles makes it's trivial to identify non-football threads.

In practice, from what I've observed over the years of participation in many different types of forums, partitioning a forum into too many subforums can have a subduing effect on overall participation. Which is rarely what a site-owner wants.

There's a good balance of partitioning and moderation that maximizes participation. IMO, this public football forum has that balance just about right.

Reactions: thegock
Personally, the evolution of the purpose of this board mirrors how I feel about the program. It was hard to remain engaged during the slow decline after Schiano 1.0, and then the precipitous drop during Ash, the weekly beatdowns in our own house, and now with the portal and NIL, it's really hard to get invested in the players. We used to have a team full of Johnny Langans. We also haven't had a signature win in what feels like years. When is the last time we won a big upset? I can't believe we couldn't go to the wire with Penn State once in all the years we were in their division. I'm rambling, but I guess I'm just saying that my own interest has waned for a myriad of reasons, and I think this is a pretty cool place with a lot of great characters to discuss anything, particularly Jersey-related stuff, and we all know we share a common interest in RU Ball. We should have an OT forum though.
Asked and answered.

Cliche or not I really only care about the name on the front.

One guy doesn’t put out a fire nor does one guy win the game.

Team.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Not sure, but I will note that this post is also not about football.

Unfortunately this have never been just a football ball. Between the moderators posting all sort of non-football related updates (even though they actually have boards of their own) and all the other OT threads all you can do is just cherry pick the ones that you are interested in and ignore the rest.

Unfortunately this have never been just a football ball. Between the moderators posting all sort of non-football related updates (even though they actually have boards of their own) and all the other OT threads all you can do is just cherry pick the ones that you are interested in and ignore the rest.
What I don't understand is the complaining about this board now. We have less new OT posts in general. We have threads on the front page that haven't had a responses in days. I was looking after this thread started and the bottom of the first page had threads 3 days old. Never remember seeing that. I think posting in general is down. No clue why the OP is crying about this.

What I don't understand is the complaining about this board now. We have less new OT posts in general. We have threads on the front page that haven't had a responses in days. I was looking after this thread started and the bottom of the first page had threads 3 days old. Never remember seeing that. I think posting in general is down. No clue why the OP is crying about this.
That happens every year in the offseason (the reduced posting level and the increase in OT threads, and at least one or two people starting a thread to complain about OT threads).

There was a period of time in which an ex-GF would periodically drunk-text or drunk-call me late at night to break up with me, typically complaining that I wasn't doing my part in the relationship. I would patiently try to explain that we were no longer dating and hadn't been for a while, so (a) strictly speaking, she couldn't actually break up with me and (b) the fact that we were not dating explained my lack of participation in the now defunct relationship. She'd pause for a bit, and then continue on to say we should meet up to break up in person. Then she'd apologize about it the next morning.

That may seem entirely unrelated to people here regularly complaining about OT posts in the offseason each year. But, as you'll see, it's more related than it appears.

Because after a while, the ex-GF got a dog and the periodic breakup texts/calls stopped. And to my surprise, I kinda missed them after they stopped. And I think I would feel the same way if people stopped regularly complaining about OT threads during the off-season. I would miss it.

These things become a tradition. They're familiar. It's comforting when they happen like clockwork. Know what I mean? Like Al's ludicrously optimistic future prediction posts. We'd all miss them if they didn't happen. 🙂

Last edited:
Actually we did in our first year in the Big 10 under Flood: lost 13-10 after Nova threw 27 interceptions.
As previously mentioned it’s a team game.

While that last completion probably seals it, if the defense doesn’t let them come right down the field…we win.

While that last completion probably seals it, if the defense doesn’t let them come right down the field…we win.

I agree, but 5 interceptions did not help our cause. Still, our defense held them to 13 points, gotta give them credit for that.

Oh, and that was one of the more miserable tailgates I've ever hosted. Whoever predicted occasional passing showers should have been tarred and feathered.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
That happens every year in the offseason (the reduced posting level and the increase in OT threads, and at least one or two people starting a thread to complain about OT threads).

There was a period of time in which an ex-GF would periodically drunk-text or drunk-call me late at night to break up with me, typically complaining that I wasn't doing my part in the relationship. I would patiently try to explain that we were no longer dating and hadn't been for a while, so (a) she strictly speaking, she couldn't actually break up with me and (b) the fact that we were not dating explained my lack of participation in the now defunct relationship. She'd pause for a bit, and then continue on to say we should meet up to break up in person. Then she'd apologize about it the next morning.

That may seem entirely unrelated to people here regularly complaining about OT posts in the offseason each year. But, as you'll see, it's more related than it appears.

Because after a while, the ex-GF got a dog and the periodic breakup texts/calls stopped. And to my surprise, I kinda missed them after they stopped. And I think I would feel the same way if people stopped regularly complaining about OT threads during the off-season. I would miss it.

These things become a tradition. They're familiar. It's comforting when they happen like clockwork. Know what I mean? Like Al's ludicrously optimistic future prediction posts. We'd all miss them if they didn't happen. 🙂
We would miss them for sure. Like having heartburn after a great meal! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
Ok this concludes the respond and ridicule phase of the thread. We will now move on the split in to two groups and fight about something totally unrelated to the original post phase.

• Haha
Reactions: cshelley
Have you noticed that the OP hasn't participated in any of the football threads which have been posted this week
Your last three posts in this forum were in the below threads.

1) Italy travel recommendations
2) RIP Charles Osgood
3) Sports Illustrated dead

Prior to that you posted in the NIL thread saying you donate to academics, not sports. That is your contribution this year to this board prior to your windging here earlier today.

I rest my case, I mean I rest your case….

This board is the de facto OT board, because the actual OT board is a cesspool that is now paywalled (quarantined?).
well in all fairness, it's the libazis that turned it into a cesspool due to feelz. the first post that you guys post that is factual, rational, articulate, and objective will be the first

I'm not a fan of all the OT threads here as some are just full on ridiculous for a football board. Some are just lazy as if the OP couldn't due a bit of research on their own but others are more for attention

would prefer a OT section for all non football stuff

well in all fairness, it's the libazis that turned it into a cesspool due to feelz. the first post that you guys post that is factual, rational, articulate, and objective will be the first

I'm not a fan of all the OT threads here as some are just full on ridiculous for a football board. Some are just lazy as if the OP couldn't due a bit of research on their own but others are more for attention

would prefer a OT section for all non football stuff
The board had zero moderation. It had been a dumpster fire since I joined, and I wouldn't post there because I didn't want my name associated with any of it. Happy it was paywalled, but jettisoned into the sun wasn't an option.

I did lurk for a short time to farm names for my ignore list, though.

Biggest personal negative was that Choppin-Ohio would post over there, and people would then confuse him with me.

Only downside of it being paywalled is that I can no longer go and delete all of my posts from any thread that gets moved over there.

As previously mentioned it’s a team game.

Actually, there was a ball Hackenberg threw to the left side that hit the receiver's hands, bounced straight up, and while the RUTGERS DB (Glashen?) was tracking it, the Ped State WR ran by and caught the deflection for a 28 yard gain. Killa bounce. Also, in Nova's defense, one of the INTs was a deflection on a pass going toward the student section.

What coulda been.

The board had zero moderation. It had been a dumpster fire since I joined, and I wouldn't post there because I didn't want my name associated with any of it. Happy it was paywalled, but jettisoned into the sun wasn't an option.

I did lurk for a short time to farm names for my ignore list, though.

Biggest personal negative was that Choppin-Ohio would post over there, and people would then confuse him with me.
chris-jericho-list.gif

Did you miss my post about the "Fossil record" citing a Dr, of evolutionary biology in the "Thread of the Year" candidate regarding Liberty University v. Oregon?

That thread sure identified the CE Board Chess Tournament contenders for Village Idiot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT