ADVERTISEMENT

Isaac Haas haas a broken elbow

FELONIOUSMONK

Heisman Winner
Apr 1, 2012
Sorry couldnt resist.A deal breaker indeed
The other big kid is going to have to step up in a huge way.

Next man up.

Can you explain what you mean? Is the skinny back up supposed to play 40 minutes and be as good as Haas? Are all players the same so the next guy needs to deliver just like Haas? What exactly are you saying?

Can you explain what you mean? Is the skinny back up supposed to play 40 minutes and be as good as Haas? Are all players the same so the next guy needs to deliver just like Haas? What exactly are you saying?

Take a deep breath man.

Reactions: RUDutch
Terrible news for Haas and Perdue and great news for Villanova, who seems to live a charmed life at Tournament time. I really thought Purdue’s inside outside game would give Nova fits, because Nova still lacks the talent down low (their center loves to shoot 3s).

Reactions: TC4THREE
Feel bad for the young man. Going to be extra hard now for Purdue. Harms is tall, but he is not Haas. At least not yet.

Reporting now Haas may be able to play with a brace — MAY

I broke the radial head of R elbow. My doctor couldn't believe it when I told him I thought it was broken.

"Nah...if you arm was broken you'd be in terrible pain". Sends me next door (this was in 1982) to radiologist who shoots the pic / reads.

My family doctor has a fit...calls the Ortho / says..."what are you still doing here? Go to the bone guy and get that fixed".

I was taking my exams for my masters, getting ready for a retreat for my employer / driving a stick shift.

I doubt if he'll be able to play with a broken elbow...and is so, figure he contributes space...no points or rebounds (a liability).

MO

Injuries are a part of the game. Ask our lacrosse team.

Purdue supposedly is waiting on the NCAA to see if they will approve the brace on Haas' elbow. Haas says he wants to play and because he only shoots a few feet from the basket and shoots with both hands Purdue is hoping he can get the approval.

Terrible news for Haas and Perdue and great news for Villanova, who seems to live a charmed life at Tournament time. I really thought Purdue’s inside outside game would give Nova fits, because Nova still lacks the talent down low (their center loves to shoot 3s).

This is exactly what the thought is. With our shooting, we are a hot game away from knocking off anyone but it really helps to be able to dump it down to Haas for easy baskets when the 3's aren't falling. We played Villanova at the start of last season and they had big time problems stopping Haas and Swanigan in the post. Either way, I hope we get past Texas Tech for that opportunity (assuming they get past West Virginia).

This is exactly what the thought is. With our shooting, we are a hot game away from knocking off anyone but it really helps to be able to dump it down to Haas for easy baskets when the 3's aren't falling. We played Villanova at the start of last season and they had big time problems stopping Haas and Swanigan in the post. Either way, I hope we get past Texas Tech for that opportunity (assuming they get past West Virginia).

What’s the word on Haas? Is there any chance with the days off he can play even limited minutes with the brace they’re talking about on TV?

Like the Purdue program and fans and they always seem to suffer the devastating injury. Robbie Hummel?
Not unlike UVA.

If they create something that is approved & functional - & Haas performs effectively - they will have earned millions of dollars worth of publicity for their bio-engineering program -

"Purdue engineering students work to create NCAA-approved elbow brace for Isaac Haas"

They have a great team! They have other great players besides Haas. They're gonna miss him but they are still very good without him!

I think it's very doubtful Haas would get anything other than maybe a token minute or two at the end of a game that's already decided.....and that's only if they can get a brace approved that can protect the elbow from further injury.

The brace is essentially the lower hurdle to clear in this situation. Even finding or developing a working brace won't heal the elbow or make it more effective and at last check he was incapable of raising that arm, his dominant arm, over his shoulder. If by some miracle he'd wake up Friday and be able to use his right arm normally, meaning he can shoot free throws with it and be able to use it to secure rebounds, AND we had an effective, approved brace to protect it from further injury then he would probably play some. I just don't see it happening and there's no way they will put him out there if he isn't both effective and protected.

Like the Purdue program and fans and they always seem to suffer the devastating injury. Robbie Hummel?
Not unlike UVA.

We haven't had much luck in March. Even going back to Glenn Robinson in 1994 who hurt his back the night before our Elite 8 matchup with Duke.

Naturally, in a year where we have a team with realistic Final Four ambitions and an NCAA tournament that has been completely turned upside down, our region has held to form with the 1,2,3, and 5 seeds advancing to our regional. Put us in Kentucky's spot or Michigan's spot and I'd like our chances to get to the Final Four much more. Can't complain too much though. At the end of the day, we're in the Sweet Sixteen with a game we're favored (slightly) to win. If we can get that game on Friday, we'll be one game away from the Final Four even if it is Villanova. If we can't get there, one of these years the breaks will hopefully go our way. Our problem is that we aren't a basketball factory so our shots at Final Fours don't come every year. We'll probably have to wait at least until 2020 and probably longer until we hopefully have another top 10 type of team.

I think it's very doubtful Haas would get anything other than maybe a token minute or two at the end of a game that's already decided.....and that's only if they can get a brace approved that can protect the elbow from further injury.

The brace is essentially the lower hurdle to clear in this situation. Even finding or developing a working brace won't heal the elbow or make it more effective and at last check he was incapable of raising that arm, his dominant arm, over his shoulder. If by some miracle he'd wake up Friday and be able to use his right arm normally, meaning he can shoot free throws with it and be able to use it to secure rebounds, AND we had an effective, approved brace to protect it from further injury then he would probably play some. I just don't see it happening and there's no way they will put him out there if he isn't both effective and protected.

Agree - it is a real long shot - but - the fact that they are even entertaining this idea would seem to indicate that it certainly is a hairline fracture - non-displaced and that there would be virtually no risk to the biomechanics / structure of the elbow. The realistic rate limiting factor is mostly the pain - and that sucker is going to zap him with stinging pain sensations at every turn - just getting jostled as he would run down the court is going to make him grimace - and the impact of a rebound hitting his hand and the force being transmitted down his arm & through the elbow - OUCH!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT