ADVERTISEMENT

IU, UConn, Miami (FL), Texas, Kentucky all pursuing Cam

This actually makes me feel a little better because maybe Spencer wasn’t being poached and really wanted to leave on his own. Imagine if he goes to Kentucky, though. There probably is not a greater difference in coaching personalities than between Caliprari and Pike!

Reactions: RutgersClassof2004
The kid is wanted by the absolute best college hoops programs that could even bring home a championship next year. Hard to fault him for bolting. 99%+ of everyone here would have too. With more NIL to boot. Nobody would turn that down. https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-...hes-out-to-rutgers-grad-transfer-cam-spencer/
So Derek was taking minutes from him down the stretch for a team that didn't even make the tournament and now he might be the difference for someone to win a national championship. Don't think so.

The kid is wanted by the absolute best college hoops programs that could even bring home a championship next year. Hard to fault him for bolting. 99%+ of everyone here would have too. With more NIL to boot. Nobody would turn that down. https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-...hes-out-to-rutgers-grad-transfer-cam-spencer/
It is kind of presumptuous of you to declare what 99% of us would have done. Many of us would’ve considered the situation, including not timely declaring our intentions and waiting until the third week in May, when the team you are departing from is vulnerable to not being able to find a late replacement.

So Derek was taking minutes from him down the stretch for a team that didn't even make the tournament and now he might be the difference for someone to win a national championship. Don't think so.
Spencer played 35 or more minutes in 6 of our last 7 games. I know cam hurt your feelings by leaving but lying about stuff is just weird.

If he goes to one of those top tier teams does he expect to get more minutes than the 31 plus he got here? He's in the mold of a Calcaterra at UCONN who got 14.5 mpg. Will be interesting to see where he ends up. If he wants minutes it'll be a rebuild or mid tier power 5 team with a defined need like RU. If he wants a final four he's going to most likely need to cede minutes.

If he goes to one of those top tier teams does he expect to get more minutes than the 31 plus he got here? He's in the mold of a Calcaterra at UCONN who got 14.5 mpg. Will be interesting to see where he ends up. If he wants minutes it'll be a rebuild or mid tier power 5 team with a defined need like RU. If he wants a final four he's going to most likely need to cede minutes.
UK is looking at him as a backup or reserve. I bet that is what the others are doing too. It may be worth it for him if he can get paid despite not having a lot of playing time, but I would bet that he views himself as a starter.

Some of these teams roster situations dictate interest more than anything. Kentucky for example is returning very few rotation player let alone starters. I equate it so when LSU offered the Cuse DB. They brought in like 8 new DBs hooing somebody gives them something because they had nothing in the bank.

This actually makes me feel a little better because maybe Spencer wasn’t being poached and really wanted to leave on his own. Imagine if he goes to Kentucky, though. There probably is not a greater difference in coaching personalities than between Caliprari and Pike!
Theres no way he goes to Kentucky they have 5 of the top 22 players in the class of 22 coming in how much time do you think he would even see the court

Completely different situation doing it in March vs doing it the third week in May.
Can’t blame him since it appears that’s when the opportunity arose or he changed his mind. Is the same. He took advantage as permitted.

His schedule isn’t Rutgers schedule. Pikiell’s problem, not his.

Why no bitching about Paul’s late ‘decision’ ? Because he’s a “Rutgers man”?

Not completely different. A little different. And within stated guidelines all teams adere to.
No - COMPLETELY different, because announcing the intentions in March allows the school you are leaving to compete for practically all available replacements in the portal as well as uncommitted freshmen. The third week in May leaves no time to get seriously involved with the small number of attractive student athletes remaining available. Do you remember when everybody was mad at Dahntay Jones but not
Luis Flores? It was about the timing.

But it was fine to poach him from Loyola. Good job Lou.
Poaching suggests doing something illegal or possibly unethical, like tampering before a player has entered the portal, etc... I don't believe there's any evidence of that being the case in Spencer's transfer to Rutgers, but maybe you know something that the rest of us aren't aware of.

Spencer voluntarily entered the portal almost a full month before he committed to Rutgers last year.. He took an official visit to Loyola Chicago prior to visiting Rutgers, and was also being pursued by NC State and Minnesota along with Rutgers. And he entered the portal in March last year, not in late May... There are significant differences between the circumstances surrounding Spencer's transfer a year ago, and the circumstances surrounding his current transfer... Comparing the two situations as if they're identical isn't an accurate comparison..

Last edited:
Reactions: RU848789
I still think most of this NIL money is not as much as many think or exaggerate , especially for typical non NBA prospects.

Where he goes will be for money and playing time and if I'm reading some responses right, Cam feared losing playing time if he came back and the NIL he'd get if he stayed wouldn't match some of his other offers for signing on at another program.
I doubt a top program with a talented roster would bring him in, unless Cam filled a hole and they needed to fill it now.
More than likely he'll go to a good program that needs a one year rental to strengthening a position and has the type of booster that will pay a fair price to bring Cam in to fill that spot.
Cam is just one of the opportunists the NIL has made many of today's players become and Spencer has shown in the past when he sees an opportunity he grabs it. Like leaving LOM for the bigger stage playing for Rutgers offered.

Reactions: satnom
Wow - some of the excuses being made for this kid are unreal. This is nothing like transferring out of a mid-major after 3 years to challenge yourself and see if you can cut it at the next level. That aspect of flight risk is always par for the course at the small schools. Cam did not screw Loyola. He screwed Rutgers.

How do some of you not see this? He led our staff to believe he was going to attend graduate school at RU. We likely even made accommodations to help him graduate early to accomplish this plan. He’s not transferring for more playing time. He got tons of it at Rutgers. Maybe money is part of the motivation but he didn’t even try to work with us from what Geo said so that’s probably not it either. Seems more like he just didn’t want to be here, which is fine, except that he should’ve let pike know that right after the season instead of accepting admission into an RU grad program and conveniently “changing his mind” the minute he could.

Poaching suggests doing something illegal or possibly unethical, like tampering before a player has entered the portal, etc... I don't believe there's any evidence of that being the case in Spencer's transfer to Rutgers, but maybe you know something that the rest of us aren't aware of.

Spencer voluntarily entered the portal almost a full month before he committed to Rutgers last year.. He took an official visit to Loyola Chicago prior to visiting Rutgers, and was also being pursued by NC State and Minnesota along with Rutgers. And he entered the portal in March last year, not in late May... There are significant differences between the circumstances surrounding Spencer's transfer a year ago, and the circumstances surrounding his current transfer... Comparing the two situations as if they're identical isn't an accurate comparison..
This is the crux of it. Also, money isn't everything to everyone (I turned down plenty of offers for more money, opting to stay in a situation where I liked the job, people and location more), plus there's simply no way he's leaving for playing time (he's not getting more than at RU at the schools listed - he's good, but not that good). He certainly will get more $$ and probably a greater shot at a deep NCAA run (although no guarantees of that these days).

Spencer played 35 or more minutes in 6 of our last 7 games. I know cam hurt your feelings by leaving but lying about stuff is just weird.
Hurt my feelings? I don't care one way or the other. Fact is, he's replacable, and Simpson next year will give you more of an all around game and likely be at least as impactful as Spencer was last year. I know that's hard for some to see now, but it is likely the case.

Make that money Cam. Why should anyone be mad. Its about making $$$

NIL reaps what it sows

Nah - Geo said we didn’t even get a chance to match. It wasn’t about money. I hate this NIL stuff too but I’m sure we could’ve come up with enough of it like we ended up doing for Mag. Cam left because he didn’t want to be here.

Best case scenerio is he suddenly felt “entitled” to the point where he was insulted that we didn’t just throw money at him once we were paying others instead of just go to Pike and negotiate. Instead, he did a 180 on us in spite.

Worst case is he knew he would be out in search of a blue blood all along (if he had a good enough season) and set up this possibility from day 1 by making sure he positioned himself to be able to graduate in May.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Nah - Geo said we didn’t even get a chance to match. It wasn’t about money. I hate this NIL stuff too but I’m sure we could’ve come up with enough of it like we ended up doing for Mag. Cam left because he didn’t want to be here.

Best case scenerio is he suddenly felt “entitled” to the point where he was insulted that we didn’t just throw money at him once we were paying others instead of just go to Pike and negotiate. Instead, he did a 180 on us in spite.

Worst case is he knew he would be out in search of a blue blood all along (if he had a good enough season) and set up this possibility from day 1 by making sure he positioned himself to be able to graduate in May.
Or....he or someone close to him realized the need for shooters and shooting guards in the transfer portal. Put your name in and let the teams make their bids...RU can't match the bidding war of an open market. Teams desperate for shooters may keep pushing the number up..

Make that money Cam. Why should anyone be mad. Its about making $$$

NIL reaps what it sows
In the day of NIL, money rules the should I go or should I stay college players have to decide every year they have eligibility remaining based on NIL money
Before it was the talent playing for what was considered lesser programs to a program considered bigger and wanting to showcase that talent in a bigger plagroubd Spencer did that leaving LOM for Rutgers and the NIL wasn't part of that decision . Now the NIL is thought to be the reason cam is leaving

Now players going because of NIL deals bothers most college sports fans, but once the NIL has been in place for awhile it will become more widely accepted like when top talent leave early for the pro game and bench players transferring to programs for more playing time or talent being excused for leaving a little known program for one that everyone knows their name to play on a bigger stage .

Old time fans will complain about the NIL ruining college sports and some will walk away from it.
But the newer college fanbase will just roll with the punch and consider the NIL part of the recruiting game that gives some of the programs a big advantage over others
But over the years some programs have always found an advantage to use to stay on or close to the top of pile, the NIL is one they can use while other programs try to find a way to use it to their advantage.

Is that right, all I can say is it's part of the game now: right or wrong

Or....he or someone close to him realized the need for shooters and shooting guards in the transfer portal. Put your name in and let the teams make their bids...
Maybe - but I think we would’ve come up with a reasonable offer if he went to Pike first. As a graduate, he wasn’t even bound by any deadline. If he wanted to stay at RU, money not withstanding, he would’ve approached it the way Mag did rather than just entering the portal. There’s no getting around that. He didn’t even see what we would be willing to pay him because he clearly wanted out. He entered the portal as soon as he was able to.

Or....he or someone close to him realized the need for shooters and shooting guards in the transfer portal. Put your name in and let the teams make their bids...RU can't match the bidding war of an open market. Teams desperate for shooters may keep pushing the number up..
this is something that sounds very reasonable and probably happening in other programs as well with the way NIL is being used to fill rosters

Couldn’t disagree more. Just like when he came here, he used the system to secure an preferred outcome he earned. Details don’t matter. It’s all same thing.

Btw how many players did Pike
abandon at SUNY SB ? Or Schiano when he left ?

Whiny much ?

• Haha
Reactions: Luvscarletknights
This is the crux of it. Also, money isn't everything to everyone (I turned down plenty of offers for more money, opting to stay in a situation where I liked the job, people and location more), plus there's simply no way he's leaving for playing time (he's not getting more than at RU at the schools listed - he's good, but not that good). He certainly will get more $$ and probably a greater shot at a deep NCAA run (although no guarantees of that these days).
I am sure you have never turned down a job where someone offered you 5x of what you are currently making . . .

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT