ADVERTISEMENT

IU, UConn, Miami (FL), Texas, Kentucky all pursuing Cam

I graduated from RU with an advanced degree in science. I had the option of going into industry or going into teaching. I chose teaching, and I guarantee you the difference in potential salary was at least that high.

Even better, the physics teacher at my school graduated from some obscure school called MIT, and he chose teaching. He was one of the most respected and loved teachers at the school - not because of his prestigious degree, but because he knew how to connect with young people.

I don't regret my choice for one minute, as no salary could replace the satisfaction I enjoyed from the belief I made a big difference in lots of young people's lives.

So money is not the chief driving factor for at least some people.

It feels like some posters cannot even comprehend that.

Couldn’t disagree more. Just like when he came here, he used the system to secure an preferred outcome he earned. Details don’t matter. It’s all same thing.

Btw how many players did Pike
abandon at SUNY SB ? Or Schiano when he left ?

Whiny much ?

There’s a difference between saying nothing and then making a decision to change schools vs. accepting an invitation to graduate school at Rutgers and announcing that your returning (I don’t care if he doesn’t tweet - he authorized those reports saying that). It’s possible that was his original plan, but the timing of this right when he’s allowed to enter the portal leaves a very bad taste. Some of you seem to want to believe he suddenly realized his value because teams became desperate for shooters. The reality is there were many teams out there that have known they needed shooters since March. The only thing that changed was Cam’s legal ability to enter the portal upon graduation.

Comparing making a multi year year decision (changing or not changing careers) to a limited one year opportunity is foolish.

Cam isn't choosing money over years of happiness.
He's choosing 1 year of increased money over 1 year of less money.
It's not some lasting decision.

He's unlikely to ever have this monetary opportunity again. Also, its not like he's transferring to Alcorn State. He's still going to be playing high level baskebtall.

Reactions: BillyC80
Comparing making a multi year year decision (changing or not changing careers) to a limited one year opportunity is foolish.

Cam isn't choosing money over years of happiness.
He's choosing 1 year of increased money over 1 year of less money.
It's not some lasting decision.

He's unlikely to ever have this monetary opportunity again. Also, its not like he's transferring to Alcorn State. He's still going to be playing high level baskebtall.
why is everyone so convinced he is getting this massive pay bump? Most of those rumored spots will have him as the sixth man at best, reserve at worst.

He really needed to leave without even allowing Rutgers to put together an offer?

By all accounts they were blindsided.

All for making money in a short window and maybe that’s the case but there is more here. This isn’t as common as others are making it out to be.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
why is everyone so convinced he is getting this massive pay bump? Most of those rumored spots will have him as the sixth man at best, reserve at worst.

He really needed to leave without even allowing Rutgers to put together an offer?

All for making money in a short window and maybe that’s the case but there is more here. This isn’t as common as others are making it out to be.
Scarlet….the reason doesn’t matter to the rest of us. Money, PT, being taken for granted, whatever. It only matters to him. He doesn’t owe anyone anything. The system allowed him to leave when he did, so he did. Same as when he left Loyola.

Reactions: Jerseylegends

Maybe he wants to win a title and make more money? It’s not that complicated bro.

I graduated from RU with an advanced degree in science. I had the option of going into industry or going into teaching. I chose teaching, and I guarantee you the difference in potential salary was at least that high.

Even better, the physics teacher at my school graduated from some obscure school called MIT, and he chose teaching. He was one of the most respected and loved teachers at the school - not because of his prestigious degree, but because he knew how to connect with young people.

I don't regret my choice for one minute, as no salary could replace the satisfaction I enjoyed from the belief I made a big difference in lots of young people's lives.

The arrogance in this post is laughable. Sorry some people have ambition.

Well said. The fact that his return was announced and that he accepted admission into our grad school is being completely tossed out the window.

Whatever he ends up making, we would’ve been able to bridge at least some of the gap if he had gone to Pike and said - “ listen, now that I graduated, I’m hearing a lot of noise that other teams out there would be willing to pay me at least X to transfer. Look I don’t want to leave - but the reality is other guys are getting paid to come here or to return. What can you do for me?” We’ll never know for sure but I believe we would’ve come up with the money just like we did for Mag. That’s the world of NIL - not this blind side crap.

Reactions: ScarletR30
Maybe he wants to win a title and make more money? It’s not that complicated bro.
Then he should’ve quietly told Pike that in March. Why did he have to screw us over? When you leave a job, there’s such thing as taking care to give proper notice. He didn’t do that.

He might be pursued by some of the best teams, but buyer beware he showed up short in many of his games vs tournament opponents

Vs Mich St(2gm) FG 4-22, 3pt 1-13 7.7%
Vs Penn St.(2gm) FG 6-18, 3pt 2-5 30.8%
Vs Purdue(2gm) FG 11-21, 3pt 4-9 44.4%
Vs NW(2games) FG 9-19, 3pt 7-10 70%, *2pt 2-9
Vs Miami (1gm) FG 1-10, 3pt 1-5 20%
Vs Iowa(2games) FG 8-20, 3pt 3-9 33%
Vs Md(1 game) FG 3-10, 3pt 3-6 50%
Vs Indiana(2gm) FG 6-16, 3pt 3-8 37.5%
Vs Illinois(1gm) FG 1-5, 3pt 0-1

(15 gm) FG 49-141 34.8%, 3pt 24-65 36.9%, 2pt 25-76 32.9%

The only two tourn teams he matched up well Purdue and NW, 20-40, 3pt 11-19
Stats without(11 gm) FG 29-101 28.7%, 3pt 13-46 28.2%, 2pt 16-55 29.0%

He also put up 2-7, 0-4 vs Seton Hall, 5-12, 0-5 vs Temple, 3-11, 2-6 vs Nebraska

His best numbers were against 3 of the bottom 4 teams in the B1G, Wisconsin 7-14, 6-10, Minnesota 12-17, 5-5, and Ohio St. 10-21, 3-9. Total(5gm) FG 29-52, 3pt 14-24, Nebraska the exception, along with the 6 Q4 non conference, Rider, Bucknell, CCSU, Columbia, Coppin St, and Sacred Heart. Don't expect much from him vs teams that are athletic or plays perimeter defense.

Last edited:
A 22 year old isnt turning down 200k when he may have only been making 80K

Comparisons some are making to their careers dont really apply to college basketball

Nah - Geo said we didn’t even get a chance to match. It wasn’t about money. I hate this NIL stuff too but I’m sure we could’ve come up with enough of it like we ended up doing for Mag. Cam left because he didn’t want to be here.

Best case scenerio is he suddenly felt “entitled” to the point where he was insulted that we didn’t just throw money at him once we were paying others instead of just go to Pike and negotiate. Instead, he did a 180 on us in spite.

Worst case is he knew he would be out in search of a blue blood all along (if he had a good enough season) and set up this possibility from day 1 by making sure he positioned himself to be able to graduate in M

Me too. Graduated RU with a psych degree and was headed to grad school for a PhD in clinical psych. Changed my mind and went into education so I could make $400.00 coaching freshman basketball. Watching the 1976 team changed my mind. Thought my father was going to kill me.

This is admirable and I respect your decision. What I've notice in many polarizing issues is that people tend to look at things only from their perspective. I don't know you nor do I know Cam Spencer but I know that your situations are completely different. Beyond the obvious difference between being a scientist and being a college basketball player.

Cam may have grown up in a way that socialized him to fear being broke. Or he may have family members that need financial help, he may be having a child etc. You or your family members may have not been in a comfortable financial situation at the time of your decision either. But everyone reacts to the adversity I'm their life in a different way.

Or maybe he just wanted a new car, we will never know but we should try to avoid assuming a kids situation and villainizing him for our assumptions..

Simply can’t understand why anyone judges Cam negatively for pursuing HIS interest. He didn’t have a preferred other option until he did. Period. Good for him. Coaches bail on their players all the time for greener pastures. He did the same, twice. Once to our benefit and once to our detriment. We can’t have it both ways. Same for Cliff. Let’s say he leaves. Even later decision. Their interests are theirs alone. Never judge a man until ….

A 22 year old isnt turning down 200k when he may have only been making 80K

Comparisons some are making to their careers dont really apply to college basketball

Maybe Cam wouldn’t - not sure but you definitely can’t put all 22 year olds together. Did to you listen to Richie’s podcast? He disclosed that Caleb turned down a substantial sum of money from Florida State and shut down other offers to return to Rutgers. So there’s at least one kid out there…

Simply can’t understand why anyone judges Cam negatively for pursuing HIS interest. He didn’t have a preferred other option until he did. Period. Good for him. Coaches bail on their players all the time for greener pastures. He did the same, twice. Once to our benefit and once to our detriment. We can’t have it both ways. Same for Cliff. Let’s say he leaves. Even later decision. Their interests are theirs alone. Never judge a man until ….
You really need to listen to the podcast. It’s pretty obvious Cam played us. Total blindside. We don’t know for sure what he was thinking but Richie talks about whether it will “become a trend” of grad transfers playing along with their previous team until they get their diploma - or something to that effect.

Whether Cliff goes pro or stays he’s still a loyal Knight unless he goes into portal too which he’s not going to do. The 2 situations are not comparable at all.

There is a reason Cam is one of the best 2-3 players in the portal right now. This isn’t that common (a blindside this late in the game). Eugene is only situation comparable from recent memory.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
‘He played us’ and ‘blindsided us’ are loser perspectives. the appropriate perspective is that he followed the rules and left for what he saw as a better opportunity just as most all of us would. Timing that worked for him. He owes Rutgers nothing just like he owed Loyola nothing. It’s his life to live. Judging him with our fans lens isnt rational. Sour grapes is all.

Cliff would be a Loyal Knight if he leaves but not Cam ? Who really cares.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUsojo
You really need to listen to the podcast. It’s pretty obvious Cam played us. Total blindside. We don’t know for sure what he was thinking but Richie talks about whether it will “become a trend” of grad transfers playing along with their previous team until they get their diploma - or something to that effect.

Whether Cliff goes pro or stays he’s still a loyal Knight unless he goes into portal too which he’s not going to do. The 2 situations are not comparable at all.

There is a reason Cam is one of the best 2-3 players in the portal right now. This isn’t that common (a blindside this late in the game). Eugene is only situation comparable from recent memory.
They are comparable, no, the same thing from their perspectives. The only perspectives that matter. Pursuing preferred opportunities according to the rules.

They are only different situations in your skewed and irrelevant perspective. I bet you don’t give credence to offensive college nickname change efforts either because of your external perspective. Same thing: your perspective isn’t the one that matters. Swing and a miss.

Look who is courting him....'nuff said
Indiana last won an NCAA Championship 35 years ago and Georgetown 39 years ago.. Oklahoma has never won one. Obviously they haven't been experts on who they need to win NCAA championships. None of these schools are anything special today.

Last edited:
‘He played us’ and ‘blindsided us’ are loser perspectives. the appropriate perspective is that he followed the rules and left for what he saw as a better opportunity just as most all of us would. Timing that worked for him. He owes Rutgers nothing just like he owed Loyola nothing. It’s his life to live. Judging him with our fans lens isnt rational. Sour grapes is all.

Cliff would be a Loyal Knight if he leaves but not Cam ? Who really cares.
Okay - then you go ahead and revere him as a one of the historical Rutgers greats. Top shooter, etc. whatever you want.

I have the right to view him and Eugene in a different light from our other former players if I want to. And the majority of our fans likely agree with my perspective here - not yours. I don’t wish them ill will but I’m hardly planning to follow or root for Cam just as I can care less what Eugene does now.

You go ahead and follow them if you like. To me, I no longer consider any future success for either of them as connected with a RU player.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
Am not saying he should be one of your all-time favorite players. Leaving does affect legacy, sure. Affected his legacy at Loyola too, and rightly so.

What I am saying is, he did absolutely nothing wrong by pursuing his interests as the rules allow, however inconvenient the timing for the team. Not his problem.

Analogy: you get a job offer for 3x your current salary, better benefits, preferred company, etc. but you’d need to start in one week. So you can’t give your current employer two weeks notice. I’m sure everyone here would take the new job.

Hypocrisy to crap on Cam.

Last edited:
Am not saying he should be one of your all-time favorite players. Leaving does affect legacy, sure. Affected his legacy at Loyola too, and rightly so.

What I am saying is, he did absolutely nothing wrong by pursuing his interests as the rules allow, however inconvenient the timing for the team. Not his problem.

Analogy: you get a job offer for 3x your current salary, better benefits, preferred company, etc. but you’d need to start in one week. So you can’t give your current employer two weeks notice. I’m sure everyone here would take the new job.

Hypocrisy to crap on Cam.

As I said - you can feel free to bucket him with MJ and others who left on different terms. None of them “broke the rules” so it’s all the same to you.

In my book it isn’t close to the same - just as in the corporate world (at least the one I work in) it is viewed much differently when one person gives proper notice and takes care to transition their work smoothly, versus another analyst who says “peace out” in the heart of busy season leaving their department high and dry. Both employees move on - but all else equal, their legacies at the company are not viewed the same way at all. When you screw over a company, you burn a bridge.

I see this situation with Cam in a similar light. Again - your entitled to view it differently. Perhaps you would hire back either analyst in my example just the same - all else equal. As the senior manager, I surely would not.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
As I said - you can feel free to bucket him with MJ and others who left on different terms. None of them “broke the rules” so it’s all the same to you.

In my book it isn’t close to the same - just as in the corporate world (at least the one I work in) it is viewed much differently when one person gives proper notice and takes care to transition their work smoothly, versus another analyst who says “peace out” in the heart of busy season leaving their department high and dry. Both employees move on - but all else equal, their legacies at the company are not viewed the same way at all. When you screw over a company, you burn a bridge.

I see this situation with Cam in a similar light. Again - your entitled to view it differently. Perhaps you would hire back either analyst in my example just the same - all else equal. As the senior manager, I surely would not.

So if a high level grad transfer entered the portal now, HC Pike shouldn’t even consider him? Just because it’s June?

I feel bad for Fernandes.
Apparently a grad transfer, 1 year rental, has no lasting legacy and the coaching staff doesn't help them in their post-college career.

HC Pike is just going to throw Fernandes out the door after the season and the fans will never think of him again.

He'll always wonder what would have happened if he stayed at UMass and the legacy and opportunities he missed out on.

Or does that only happen to players leaving Rutgers?

Reactions: RUsojo
So if a high level grad transfer entered the portal now, HC Pike shouldn’t even consider him? Just because it’s June?

I feel bad for Fernandes.
Apparently a grad transfer, 1 year rental, has no lasting legacy and the coaching staff doesn't help them in their post-college career.

HC Pike is just going to throw Fernandes out the door after the season and the fans will never think of him again.

He'll always wonder what would have happened if he stayed at UMass and the legacy and opportunities he missed out on.

Or does that only happen to players leaving Rutgers?

No - you have this wrong. The bridge is burned with the school you leave. And not nearly as much anyway in a case where you leave a mid-major to test yourself at the next level and give plenty of notice.

But regardless, I never said a relationship could not be built at a grad transfers next stop. It’s just not a sure thing. In MJ’s case, his future isn’t about basketball, but as an example, he didn’t have the kind of basketball experience at UCLA that would lead to any sort of established legacy there or building out a hoops network. Again - didn’t matter for him. The point is if Cam ends up being a 6 man somewhere on a team that underperforms (even if he goes to the tourney), his overall college legacy will be a shell of what it would have been if he helped lead Rutgers to the NCAAs this year.

He might be pursued by some of the best teams, but buyer beware he showed up short in many of his games vs tournament opponents

Vs Mich St(2gm) FG 4-22, 3pt 3-9 33%
Vs Penn St.(2gm) FG 6-18, 3pt 4-13 30.8%
Vs Purdue(2gm) FG 11-21, 3pt 4-9 44.4%
Vs NW(2games) FG 9-19, 3pt 7-10 70%, *2pt 2-9
Vs Miami (1gm) FG 1-10, 3pt 1-5 20%
Vs Iowa(2games) FG 8-20, 3pt 3-9 33%
Vs Md(1 game) FG 3-10, 3pt 3-6 50%
Vs Indiana(2gm) FG 6-16, 3pt 3-8 37.5%
Vs Illinois(1gm) FG 1-5, 3pt 0-1

(15 gm) FG 49-141 34.8%, 3pt 28-70 40%, 2pt 21-71. 29.6%

The only two tourn teams he matched up well against were Purdue and NW.
Stats without(11 gm) FG 29-101 28.7%, 3pt 17-51 33%, 2pt 12-50 24%

He also put up 2-7, 0-4 vs Seton Hall, 5-12, 0-5 vs Temple, 3-11, 2-6 vs Nebraska

His best numbers were against 3 of the bottom 4 teams in the B1G, Wisconsin 7-14, 6-10, Minnesota 12-17, 5-5, and Ohio St. 10-21, 3-9. Total(5gm) FG 29-52, 3pt 14-24, Nebraska the exception, along with the 6 Q4 non conference, Rider, Bucknell, CCSU, Columbia, Coppin St, and Sacred Heart. Don't expect much from him vs teams that are athletic or plays perimeter defense.
Spencer was the best shooter on a team that lacked shooters.Rutgers would never had a winning season without Spencer as a outside scoring threat.

lol it’s all about the money, c’mon
You still can do it with class and respect. Be a man, sit down face to face and have discussion with Pike. Cam did the breakup via text/leave a note on the table and sneak out the back door crap.

Spencer was the best shooter on a team that lacked shooters.Rutgers would never had a winning season without Spencer as an outside scoring threat.
Totally true. The key word is “threat”. You have to play up on him. When you have players who aren’t threats or won’t shoot, their defender can sag in the lane, which happened a lot against us last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT