ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Young

He hurt during Midknight Madness.

Yeah, there was the video of the basketball team cheering on the field hockey team and Kiss was in warmups while the rest of the team was in their uniforms.

And McConnell was on a scooter because of his foot over the winter.

I think these things had an impact but every team goes through them. It's realistic to expect more from Kiss and McConnell if they're totally healthy all off-season, but it's unrealistic to expect the team won't be affected by injuries in another way.

Anyone who saw 13 to 14PPG from Eugene coming, would not be honest;

There were people on this board who said that.

I think I came fairly close last September:
I'd also like to see Omoruyi at around 13 pts, 9 rbs this year in about 28 min. He averaged 21.7 min last year with 7.9 pts/5.0 rebounds - moving into a starting spot without Freeman on the floor, I'd expect his minutes to go up and his rebounding, too.

Reactions: PaKnight
I think I came fairly close last September:

I knew that there were discussions on this board. It was a reasonable projection given his expected increase minutes and the fact that Pikiel said he was the most improved player, again.

I do think he's going to play well here, and that he's going to be a valuable piece of the puzzle for us. From everything I've heard, he'll be a plus defender, and be able to bring the ball up court against pressure - which are both areas of need. I don't expect him to suddenly be a 25+ minute starter on day one, or that he's going to be this great distributing PG, or that he's going to spend a ton of time at the FT line after penetrating into the lane.

I expect him to be solid guard depth, give us 15+ minutes and tough defense, and take his shots where he can get them in the offense. If he exceeds those expectations, that'd be awesome. I'm trying to set a reasonable expectation bar, though - people who seem to feel like he's an immediate upgrade over everyone on our roster and is going to be some sort of savior at point guard are setting themselves up for disappointment, imo.

A piece. 15 mpg; some at the 1 and some at the 2. At the one in spot duty, to match up with scoring PG's on the Dreaded Opponents. People talking about Young starting and battling Mulcahy for the starting job as the year progresses? Gee, what about McConnell? Did he leave or get hurt? Where is he in this calculus? And it is going to be interesting at the 2 with Geo and Mathis. Young will play in situations where his defense is needed. Everything we have seen from Pike says volume scorers are not to his liking because they have to take too many shots. Always thought he was not really comfortable with Corey for that reason. Young will have to be efficient in his offense. He can tailor his offense and work off the rust in the OOC schedule. But he is going to have to change his game some.
TL

Reactions: RUChoppin
The great thing going into next year is that we look to have four guys who can run the point and bring up the ball against pressure. We entered this season with Baker switching over from SG and an unknown in freshman combo guard McConnell. Next season, Baker and McConnell will both have a year under their belt, Young comes in as a RS Jr, and Mulcahy enters with much more clarity on his passing ability than we had with McConnell.

Really hoping that will help us limit turnovers and allow Baker some breathing room off the ball.

Kiss was a disappointment. He came in as a transfer to help stretch the defense with some spot up outside shooting. He was rarely a factor and missed a lot of open looks.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
While I understand your point, you can't deny that morons were not only calling for Ron Harper Jr. to redshirt, they were also calling for an injured Caleb McConnell to transfer early in the year. I didn't make this $hit up.
Not me. Harper was an obvious call that everyone should have gotten right but I was all over Caleb being good from the time he committed including his first couple games when it was open season on Caleb bashing.... Kiss didn't impress me at all when he transfered but everyoneeeee was loving that move. I did fall for the kiss being the best shooter on the team quote from Pike in the off season since he's generally been accurate about guys like EO and Myles

Not me. Harper was an obvious call that everyone should have gotten right but I was all over Caleb being good from the time he committed including his first couple games when it was open season on Caleb bashing.... Kiss didn't impress me at all when he transfered but everyoneeeee was loving that move. I did fall for the kiss being the best shooter on the team quote from Pike in the off season since he's generally been accurate about guys like EO and Myles

I wonder if the people calling for the Harper redshirt were the same ones thinking Zion needs to slim down and won't make it in the NBA.

How many people were actually saying Harper should red shirt?

As far as freshman go.....there are very few can't miss. None of our 4 freshman were obvious contributors. Likely, yes. Obvious, no.

If I recall properly the concern with Harper was conditioning. Perhaps that is where the red shirt contingent came in. I don't recall it being many.

Reactions: bac2therac
As I have been saying like a broken record....Paul Mulcahy has a wide range of potential outcomes.

On one of the spectrum there is a player that wins the job from Day 1 and ends up being one of the best freshman in the conference.

The other end of the spectrum is a guy who struggles to be a part of the rotation that gets some minutes at backup PG in games, but his defense isn't good and he is shaky making transition to B1G.

There are plenty of coaches who didn't see Paul Mulcahy as a point guard. We also see smart people with very high praise.

To claim to know how his game translates to B1G to me is sketchy.

He can?

He's a career .271 from the arc, and has made more than 1 three in a game just 12 times out of 63 games (more than 2 just 4 times).

We heard this about Kiss, too, that he was going to light it up from outside... but he was streaky at Q, and he's been streaky at RU, too.

I'm not expecting Young to be a consistent three point threat out of the box. He'd have to have significantly improved his shot during his redshirt year.
Not always at Rutgers but that is changing as well, players as they get older and play more shoot better. From freshman through senior years , point averages, assist totals, free throw shooting , two point shooting , and three point shooting all normally improve. His pedigree and family history make him different in my view than Wally Judge or Nigel Johnson, and he will be asked to do less than both of those guys because of the depth we have. Also, one year sitting out , working on his game, his shooting , watching what is needed in the Big 10 might be just what he needed to refine his game so he makes a great impact next year. I am expecting him to shoot 35% from three, play great defense, run the point at times, play the two at times but his minutes are going to be limited because of our depth. I am not saying he is a superstar , nor does he have to be, but he will make a great impact next year. .

Reactions: Degaz-RU
Not always at Rutgers but that is changing as well, players as they get older and play more shoot better. From freshman through senior years , point averages, assist totals, free throw shooting , two point shooting , and three point shooting all normally improve. His pedigree and family history make him different in my view than Wally Judge or Nigel Johnson, and he will be asked to do less than both of those guys because of the depth we have. Also, one year sitting out , working on his game, his shooting , watching what is needed in the Big 10 might be just what he needed to refine his game so he makes a great impact next year. I am expecting him to shoot 35% from three, play great defense, run the point at times, play the two at times but his minutes are going to be limited because of our depth. I am not saying he is a superstar , nor does he have to be, but he will make a great impact next year. .

We've been through the numbers past threads - three point shooting doesn't really take leaps and bounds for most players, and it's rare when a player with a poor shooting percentage as a freshman suddenly shoots the lights out as an upperclassman. I think .350 would be a great target for him after coming off a sophomore campaign shooting .323, but that would still be a decently sized step forward.

Pedigree doesn't mean much to me vs. on court performance - for instance, being Rick's son didn't suddenly make Jake Dadika the same level of player.

I expect Young to be a solid contributor next year - 15+ min, strong defense, helping to work the ball up against pressure, providing solid minutes at the point, being a leader to the younger guys. Anything more than that would be gravy.

How many people were actually saying Harper should red shirt?

As far as freshman go.....there are very few can't miss. None of our 4 freshman were obvious contributors. Likely, yes. Obvious, no.

If I recall properly the concern with Harper was conditioning. Perhaps that is where the red shirt contingent came in. I don't recall it being many.
It was a conditioning concern. There weren't many people, but they were vocal.

Agreed on Mulcahy having a wide range of outcomes. I also don't see why his passing ability can't be a huge asset at the 3 if he cant defend the point. There's been great point-forwards over the years, and he clearly has the size. His shooting is also a little better than people have claimed.

Kiss was a disappointment. He came in as a transfer to help stretch the defense with some spot up outside shooting. He was rarely a factor and missed a lot of open looks.

...and the buildup over the summer was over the top as well. He was a volume shooter at Qunnipiac and not a percentage shooter. He’s the same here - minus the volume part. He’s in over his head in the B1G right now but that’s not to say he didn’t contribute and won’t get better.

Agreed on Mulcahy having a wide range of outcomes. I also don't see why his passing ability can't be a huge asset at the 3 if he cant defend the point. There's been great point-forwards over the years, and he clearly has the size. His shooting is also a little better than people have claimed.

From all accounts I have heard he wants to be good so I am sure he will work on improving his shot and will succeed. I think the bottom line will be we have 6 perimeter players including Kiss and Harper. If he is in the top 5 he will play and if he is in top 3 he will play a lot. Shooting and defense will be what determines things. I don't expect him to be able to break down a defense off the dribble, but could be wrong.

I do have a tough time envisioning him and mathis on the floor (half court offense) together .

Reactions: RUChoppin
As I have been saying like a broken record....Paul Mulcahy has a wide range of potential outcomes.

On one of the spectrum there is a player that wins the job from Day 1 and ends up being one of the best freshman in the conference.

The other end of the spectrum is a guy who struggles to be a part of the rotation that gets some minutes at backup PG in games, but his defense isn't good and he is shaky making transition to B1G.

There are plenty of coaches who didn't see Paul Mulcahy as a point guard. We also see smart people with very high praise.

To claim to know how his game translates to B1G to me is sketchy.
So you are saying he could be anywhere from amazing as a freshman to terrible? Bold prediction lol

As for injuries... If Myles gets hurt next year that's going to be really rough. His health is vital to a tournament team

He will never really guard the other team's PG IMO. Why would he? It wouldn't really make any sense at his size. If he is in the game with Young or Baker or Mathis they would take the other teams PG on D even if Paul is running the point on offense. I see him as a PG on offense running the show when he is in but guarding the 3 on defense and not the point

Reactions: dkostus
I think over 50 % of our posters wanted Harper to red shirt before the season. Most were saying he needed to lose weight and was too slow. I stated many times that I saw him play 11 times when he was at Don Bosco and that he was a player who would help us. Many guys were all over McConeell at the beginning of the season and said he should transfer. Now look at him. he is an exceptional player.

Reactions: TRU2RU and Scangg
We've been through the numbers past threads - three point shooting doesn't really take leaps and bounds for most players, and it's rare when a player with a poor shooting percentage as a freshman suddenly shoots the lights out as an upperclassman. I think .350 would be a great target for him after coming off a sophomore campaign shooting .323, but that would still be a decently sized step forward.

Pedigree doesn't mean much to me vs. on court performance - for instance, being Rick's son didn't suddenly make Jake Dadika the same level of player.

I expect Young to be a solid contributor next year - 15+ min, strong defense, helping to work the ball up against pressure, providing solid minutes at the point, being a leader to the younger guys. Anything more than that would be gravy.
Maybe you misinterpret pedigree. His father was and his brother is now an NBA player. His father was part of Phi Slamma Jamma. Ron Harper is a son of a terrific NBA player. If you do not think he will become our best player , then you are not being honest. As much as I loved Ricky Dadika, who is some what related to me, he was never an NBA player. Big big difference. I hope you enjoy watching the difference next year. If you think my expectation of Young shooting a modest 35% from three is a huge leap, you are delusional.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
I think over 50 % of our posters wanted Harper to red shirt before the season. Most were saying he needed to lose weight and was too slow. I stated many times that I saw him play 11 times when he was at Don Bosco and that he was a player who would help us. Many guys were all over McConeell at the beginning of the season and said he should transfer. Now look at him. he is an exceptional player.
Agreed and on TOS too. What do Harper and Mulcahy have in common? Exceptional bball IQ. This is why I think they both can come in and play as freshman. Mulcahy will be surrounded by athletes next year and teams can't double him constantly

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
Maybe you misinterpret pedigree. His father was and his brother is now an NBA player. His father was part of Phi Slamma Jamma. Ron Harper is a son of a terrific NBA player. If you do not think he will become our best player , then you are not being honest. As much as I loved Ricky Dadika, who is some what related to me, he was never an NBA player. Big big difference. I hope you enjoy watching the difference next year. If you think my expectation of Young shooting a modest 35% from three is a huge leap, you are delusional.

Genes can only take you so far.

Jeff Jordan wasn't a tenth the player that Michael Jordan was, nor was Pat Ewing Jr close to what Patrick Ewing was. Plenty of NBA players have sons and brothers who never found success on the court. Having a father who played at the highest level may help in a lot of ways (basketball IQ, understanding the work ethic and commitment it takes to succeed, understanding team dynamics, understanding how to take coaching, etc)... but just because someone is related to great talents doesn't mean they are automatically also a great talent. It doesn't work like that.

I hope you're right and that Young is one of the rare players who sees a significant jump in 3P% next year.

A piece. 15 mpg; some at the 1 and some at the 2. At the one in spot duty, to match up with scoring PG's on the Dreaded Opponents. People talking about Young starting and battling Mulcahy for the starting job as the year progresses? Gee, what about McConnell? Did he leave or get hurt? Where is he in this calculus? And it is going to be interesting at the 2 with Geo and Mathis. Young will play in situations where his defense is needed. Everything we have seen from Pike says volume scorers are not to his liking because they have to take too many shots. Always thought he was not really comfortable with Corey for that reason. Young will have to be efficient in his offense. He can tailor his offense and work off the rust in the OOC schedule. But he is going to have to change his game some.
TL
Caleb is more of a 2 guard also.

Jeff Jordan wasn't a tenth the player that Michael Jordan was, nor was Pat Ewing Jr close to what Patrick Ewing was. Plenty of NBA players have sons and brothers who never found success on the court. Having a father who played at the highest level may help in a lot of ways (basketball IQ, understanding the work ethic and commitment it takes to succeed, understanding team dynamics, understanding how to take coaching, etc)... but just because someone is related to great talents doesn't mean they are automatically also a great talent. It doesn't work like that.

I hope you're right and that Young is one of the rare players who sees a significant jump in 3P% next year.
I expect young to be a streaky 3 point shooter

Stopped by the RAC today to get my football season parking and hung around to watch the team play 5 on 5 pick-up. Most everyone was there except Caleb. Young was off the charts. I could see him shooting you out of a game but I could also see him putting up 30. He's nearly uncoverable by anyone we have. Excluding Mulcahy and an impact transfer, the starting team next year will likely be him at the point, Geo at the two, Harper the three, and Carter and Johnson up front. I think you could almost take it to the bank. You might need two balls on the court though. Jacobs is a shoot first PG and never saw a shot he didn't like, at least today. I know it was only a pick up game but that was his reputation coming in. He is quite a talent though.

Last edited:
Stopped by the RAC today to get my football season parking and hung around to watch the team play 5 on 5 pick-up. Most everyone was there except Caleb. Young was off the charts. I could see him shooting you out of a game but I could also see him putting up 30. He's nearly uncoverable by anyone we have. Excluding Mulcahy and an impact transfer, the starting team next year will likely be him at the point, Geo at the two, Harper the three, and Carter and Johnson up front. I think you could almost take it to the bank. You might need two balls on the court though. Jacobs is a shoot first PG and never saw a shot he didn't like, at least today. I know it was only a pick up game but that was his reputation coming in. He is quite a talent.
Other than excluding our starting power forward (and statistically best player) and ignoring the fact that Pike likely doesnt want a shoot-first PG that could end up "shooting you out of a game"... I think you are SPOT ON HERE!!!

No joke though, thanks for the update. Glad to hear they are already getting at it.

Other than excluding our starting power forward (and statistically best player) and ignoring the fact that Pike likely doesnt want a shoot-first PG that could end up "shooting you out of a game"... I think you are SPOT ON HERE!!!
Sorry, I forgot about EO. Carter was the most physically imposing kid on the court. I would expect him to get a lot of minutes. Doucoure looked behind a step and kind of lost.

i thnik Alonzo Mourning s kid is at georgetown....

He was a scholarship player at Texas. Not the beast they once we're but still posess some stain. He didn't go to Quinippiac.

Sorry, I forgot about EO. Carter was the most physically imposing kid on the court. I would expect him to get a lot of minutes. Doucoure looked behind a step and kind of lost.

I hope the Doucoure thing is because he really was hurt but to me he's kind of always been a step slow or out of sync with the rest of the team when he's been on the court. I do wonder if Thiam's dismissal is what's keeping him here (since the staff already has to recruit two guys and maybe didn't want to pile onto that).

I hope he's able to catch up in the off-season but my expectations are very tempered for him. Definitely hoping for Shaq Carter to take a step forward defensively.

Many/most of us, me included, wrote off Myles Johnson because he red shirted.

My biggest concern is his size.

Let's just wait and see.
Pike wasn't shy about hyping up Myles during his redshirt year. Similar to the praise he poured on Eugene during the offseason before his sophomore year. That's telling. We heard no such praise for a guy like Doucoure. Again, very telling.
Wait and see what coach has to say about Young this fall. That should help us read the tea leaves.

Reactions: Scangg
Pike wasn't shy about hyping up Myles during his redshirt year. Similar to the praise he poured on Eugene during the offseason before his sophomore year. That's telling. We heard no such praise for a guy like Doucoure. Again, very telling.
Wait and see what coach has to say about Young this fall. That should help us read the tea leaves.

I'm hoping that he's not saying anything because Doucoure is looking for a medical redshirt year. Talking about how he looks in practice while the season is going on works counter to the idea that he's unable to play because of injury.

We'll see what he says in the summer, now that the season is over and talking about his progress shouldn't jeopardize that redshirt year.

I'm hoping that he's not saying anything because Doucoure is looking for a medical redshirt year. Talking about how he looks in practice while the season is going on works counter to the idea that he's unable to play because of injury.

We'll see what he says in the summer, now that the season is over and talking about his progress shouldn't jeopardize that redshirt year.
I was referring to preseason 17 and 18.

I remember the season opener two seasons ago when Doucoure started. I thought he definitely had A B1G body already and thought he could become a monster. He was wider and more mature than I expected but not quite as tall as I expected. He showed a nice touch too. He was very raw and appeared to have a huge upside at the 4 - not the 5.

Fast forward to the glimpses we saw of him this year. He looked slower, devoid of any confidence and still extremely foul prone. I got the impression that he thought he needed to shoot the mid-range jumper as soon as he stepped on the court - and even worse - he thought he needed to make every shot. To me, he looked like a player who was afraid to fail.

I hope he gains some confidence and becomes effective. A little mean streak would do him wonders. If it's in him, this team could really use it.

I was referring to preseason 17 and 18.

True, but we didn't really start to hear Pike start hyping up Myles until about mid-way through the season, either, or Eugene until he'd already been on campus through a full season. Hoping Doucoure is more of a "late bloomer" as bigs often are, and this year wasn't a total development loss due to injury.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT