ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Young

True, but we didn't really start to hear Pike start hyping up Myles until about mid-way through the season, either, or Eugene until he'd already been on campus through a full season. Hoping Doucoure is more of a "late bloomer" as bigs often are, and this year wasn't a total development loss due to injury.
I've said everything I need to say about Doucoure in past posts. No need to beat a dead horse. I wish him well wherever he lands.

If Doucoure was going to transfer, he wouldn't have wasted a year here on a medical redshirt. The kid started for us two years ago after reclassifying to come early. People writing him off despite him coming one year early, literally starting 20+ games, and then staying here for a redshirt (and despite widely accepted and proven wisdom on bigs taking a while to develop) are actual morons.

If Doucoure was going to transfer, he wouldn't have wasted a year here on a medical redshirt. The kid started for us two years ago after reclassifying to come early. People writing him off despite him coming one year early, literally starting 20+ games, and then staying here for a redshirt (and despite widely accepted and proven wisdom on bigs taking a while to develop) are actual morons.

He started, yes... for a team that went 3-15 in the conference. He's a big man who shot 35% on two-pointers. He was going against Luke Nathan in pre-season 1-on-1 drills. He hardly played even in games we were winning by huge margins.

There were/are good reasons to write him off. I hope I'm wrong. But the facts are what they are.

Reactions: bac2therac
He started, yes... for a team that went 3-15 in the conference. He's a big man who shot 35% on two-pointers. He was going against Luke Nathan in pre-season 1-on-1 drills. He hardly played even in games we were winning by huge margins.

There were/are good reasons to write him off. I hope I'm wrong. But the facts are what they are.

He was injured.

Reactions: MV9000
you are sugar coating.

Let's be REAL HONEST with ourselves. REAL HONEST! Our freshman were good, but not that good. The fact that Kiss as a 3rd year player couldn't outperform 2 out of 3 of them is an issue.

Look at his raw numbers. Give him your eyeball test.
If You didn’t think our frosh were better than just good as freshman you missed a lot of good basketball from them as the year went on. Beginning of year maybe not that good - end of year - better than “just good”. You need to evaluate them over the entire course of the season

He’ll play a lot more than 4-6 minutes. More like 12-15.

If he does that means either

A.) he replaced shaq carter in the rotation and carter isn’t getting minutes

Or

B.) that pushes carter to the four with Eugene ...and very few minutes st the three for Harper

If that happens ...that means there are 125
Minutes for

Baker
Young
Mulchay
Macconnell
Mathis
Harper

Barely 20 per game

I don’t see that happening

If he does that means either

A.) he replaced shaq carter in the rotation and carter isn’t getting minutes

Or

B.) that pushes carter to the four with Eugene ...and very few minutes st the three for Harper

If that happens ...that means there are 125
Minutes for

Baker
Young
Mulchay
Macconnell
Mathis
Harper

Barely 20 per game

I don’t see that happening

Doorson & Myles had 18 mpg last year and Carter 14. I’m thinking Myles gives us 20-25, Carter 15-20 and Doucoure the balance.

Reactions: soundcrib
I could see Duke beating out Carter for minutes.

Defensive rebounding, defense, and knocking down 12 footers. Duke might win all 3 of those...at least 2 out of 3.

Kiss is better than Souf. Hopefully Young is better than Kiss. I see Young at 5-7 pts per game.

Kiss is better than Souf. Hopefully Young is better than Kiss. I see Young at 5-7 pts per game.
Young is a lot better than Kiss, it's not really even close. There's not a single thing Kiss does better than Young. Young is going to be our leader in minutes played next year due to just how stifling his defense is. The kid is as much as a lockdown defender as you will find as a guard in the big ten. Pair that with his ability to get hot from 3 and make things happen with the ball in his hand and he's in line for huge minutes.

If I had to predict Young's stat line for next year it'd be as follows

MPG: 30
PPG: 11
Assists/game: 3
Rebs/game: 4

And he will guard the other teams PG night in and night out

Well, someone has finally made the traditional "transfer guy is actually best player on the team." The Nigel Johnson Memorial Plaque, maybe?

Unfortunately for Jacob Young this prediction likely dooms him.

Reactions: RUChoppin

Defensive rebounding, defense, and knocking down 12 footers. Duke might win all 3 of those...at least 2 out of 3.

Agreed. Considering Carter was a Jr. with now only one more year to play, he was not impressive. I'd rather see his minutes go to Duke, who I think will be better and also has a higher upside.

We'll see what next year brings. I'm going to assume that both Doucoure and Carter will be better next season than the last time we saw either.

Carter's a much, much better player than Duke at this point. Kids really aren't in the same league. Carter should have played a lot more considering Doorson gave you very little and had almost no offensive ability. Overall, too many kids played IMO.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Carter's a much, much better player than Duke at this point. Kids really aren't in the same league. Carter should have played a lot more considering Doorson gave you very little and had almost no offensive ability. Overall, too many kids played IMO.
Posters on here dont seem to be able to evaluate defense. Carter was terrible on D. I have confidence he'll improve a lot this year (I think the whole team will just from returning so many) but Carter's offense was easily offset by his deficiencies on the other end.

Young is a lot better than Kiss, it's not really even close. There's not a single thing Kiss does better than Young. Young is going to be our leader in minutes played next year due to just how stifling his defense is. The kid is as much as a lockdown defender as you will find as a guard in the big ten. Pair that with his ability to get hot from 3 and make things happen with the ball in his hand and he's in line for huge minutes.

If I had to predict Young's stat line for next year it'd be as follows

MPG: 30
PPG: 11
Assists/game: 3
Rebs/game: 4

And he will guard the other teams PG night in and night out
Also, really almost zero chance that Young averages 30 minutes per game with Geo, Mulcahy, Mathis, McConnell and Harper also at the 1-3, and that's even if you believe Kiss gets zero minutes, which is highly unlikely, and that Harper spends time at the 4, which will probably happen.

With the depth on the team, theres no reason anyone should play more than 25 minutes a game next year unless we're shortening the rotation at the end of the year for a tourney run. Geo would have been immensely better at the end of the season if he didnt average 33 minutes per game.

The way I see it, there are about 75 minutes to give at the PF/C spots (if you assume we will sometimes "go small" with Harper at the PF spot for the other 5 minutes).
28 will go to Eugene, leaving 47 for Johnson, Carter, Doucoure, and [:pray:] Yeboah.

I see Johnson getting 22 minutes - he needs to prove he can stay on the court without getting in foul trouble - leaving 25 minutes for the others.

If Yeboah comes, I would think he will get 18-20 minutes, leaving Doucoure and Carter to fight it out for the remaining scraps. Of course, things will be situational.

Reactions: dkostus
Posters on here dont seem to be able to evaluate defense. Carter was terrible on D. I have confidence he'll improve a lot this year (I think the whole team will just from returning so many) but Carter's offense was easily offset by his deficiencies on the other end.

Agree. Carter was frequently out of position on defense, and was far behind Doorson and Johnson in that area. I think a year's worth of game experience and an off-season will help him get up to speed on the defensive scheme.

Reactions: satnom
Also, really almost zero chance that Young averages 30 minutes per game with Geo, Mulcahy, Mathis, McConnell and Harper also at the 1-3, and that's even if you believe Kiss gets zero minutes, which is highly unlikely, and that Harper spends time at the 4, which will probably happen.

With the depth on the team, theres no reason anyone should play more than 25 minutes a game next year unless we're shortening the rotation at the end of the year for a tourney run. Geo would have been immensely better at the end of the season if he didnt average 33 minutes per game.
I personally think Young will be our leader for minutes played due to his defensive prowess. We’ll see

Hard to see only that. Kid shoots every time he has the ball - 15 ppg.

I personally think Young will be our leader for minutes played due to his defensive prowess. We’ll see

For perspective, you both expect Jacob Young to be significantly more productive on both offense and defense than both Geo Baker and, if you look back at stats, Corey Sanders ever were under Pike.

Meanwhile, Jacob Young played on two teams at Texas in a P5 conference (arguably worse than the B1G) and had much lower numbers his freshman and sophomore years than Geo did his first 2 seasons at Rutgers. Notably, the team his freshman year sucked and went 4-14 in his freshman year, and his team sophomore year was mediocre, going 8-10. He averaged around 16/mpg on both of these teams, and 4-6/ppg over two seasons. These teams are comparable to the two teams Geo was on in the B1G, where he averaged 30/mpg and 10-13/ppg on 1 bad and 1 mediocre P5 team.

Despite this, you both expect Young (who I like a lot, mind you) to outperform Geo to a great extent on both ends of the floor.

How is this not just wish fulfillment with the shiny new toy that you haven't seen the flaws in yet?

Jacob Young stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jacob-young-1.html

MPG depend on his shot selection, and team chemistry.

He looks like a nice kid and a great team mate.

All players will be fighting for minutes this season and have to improve.

Reactions: dkostus
For perspective, you both expect Jacob Young to be significantly more productive on both offense and defense than both Geo Baker and, if you look back at stats, Corey Sanders ever were under Pike.

Meanwhile, Jacob Young played on two teams at Texas in a P5 conference (arguably worse than the B1G) and had much lower numbers his freshman and sophomore years than Geo did his first 2 seasons at Rutgers. Notably, the team his freshman year sucked and went 4-14 in his freshman year, and his team sophomore year was mediocre, going 8-10. He averaged around 16/mpg on both of these teams, and 4-6/ppg over two seasons. These teams are comparable to the two teams Geo was on in the B1G, where he averaged 30/mpg and 10-13/ppg on 1 bad and 1 mediocre P5 team.

Despite this, you both expect Young (who I like a lot, mind you) to outperform Geo to a great extent on both ends of the floor.

How is this not just wish fulfillment with the shiny new toy that you haven't seen the flaws in yet?

Jacob Young stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jacob-young-1.html
You must have missed my post where i said i thought young would average 30 mins a night, 11ppg, 3apg, and 4 rebs/game. For perspective Geo this year averaged 12ppg, 4apg, and 3 rebs per game in 34 minutes per game.

You must have missed my post where i said i thought young would average 30 mins a night, 11ppg, 3apg, and 4 rebs/game. For perspective Geo this year averaged 12ppg, 4apg, and 3 rebs per game in 34 minutes per game.
You may have missed the part where I was responding to more than one person, and quoted both of you. In any event, the point stands when you look back at the numbers. I hope that you are correct and he will have made huge strides now being a 4th year player, but it's still a big leap from what he's done in the past. Even defensively, while steals are not a perfect indication of a perimeter defender, his stats are way behind Geo's even adjusted for 40/mpg.

You may have missed the part where I was responding to more than one person, and quoted both of you. In any event, the point stands when you look back at the numbers. I hope that you are correct and he will have made huge strides now being a 4th year player, but it's still a big leap from what he's done in the past. Even defensively, while steals are not a perfect indication of a perimeter defender, his stats are way behind Geo's even adjusted for 40/mpg.
I mean, your reponse did say “you BOTH”.

Let me ask you a question. How many full college games of jacob young have you watched? Hes the ideal guard for pikes system. Can run the floor and play lockdown D.

Let me ask you a question. How many full college games of jacob young have you watched? Hes the ideal guard for pikes system. Can run the floor and play lockdown D.
I'm sure less than you; apologies for basing my opinion on two seasons of hard statistics and an even passing knowledge of how college player development has traditionally gone.

Again, totally hope Jacob Young is amazing and excels. Just no reason right now to place the kind of expectations on him that you seem to be.

You dumped on Doucoure earlier this thread because despite being a starter you said it was on a 3-15 team in conference. Jacob Young didnt even start as a freshman or sophomore for a bad Texas team that went 4-14 his freshman year.

So I guess everything between the two is your eye test and personal opinion. So there's really no use in debating it

You dumped on Doucoure earlier this thread because despite being a starter you said it was on a 3-15 team in conference. Jacob Young didnt even start as a freshman or sophomore for a bad Texas team that went 4-14 his freshman year.

So I guess everything between the two is your eye test and personal opinion. So there's really no use in debating it

I think you might be mixing me and kyk up because I'm the one who made that Doucoure point. I'm not quite as high on Young as kyk but I think he'll be a good player for us. Best on the team? Maybe, who knows. Transfers are always kind of a crapshoot until you see them play meaningful games.

Dude you gotta go back and re-read the thread your mixing up my comments with someone elses.

Also predicting an 11/3/4 stat line isnt exactly expecting the moon out of him. My eyes told me kiss was gonna suck and i stayed consistent with that message, I also had a source very close to the team tell me to not expect much from Kiss. This same source has told me that jacob young just toys with our guys in practice and that he straps geo. My prediction is 30 mins a night for the reason that hes a lockdown defender

There is a lot of speculation here and some people have done a complete 180 turn on Jacob Young. I remember a lot of comments that he was bad at Texas and would not be much of a factor at Rutgers.

Maybe those old threads should be bumped...lol

Man some of you guys dont realize how good of a college player corey was. Youre asking for jacob young over corey? The disrespect man. Jacob Young is a decent player but hes not on coreys level. Jacob young isnt really even a pg, he’s more of a 2

Yes, that is correct. Jacob young has never really played the point. Spoke to some texas guys and they said jacob young is a very me me me type of guy and was a straight shooting guard, no point

Sure but theyre 6’6 and 6’9. Young is a small guard who really wasnt good at texas

Bottom line, this team needs more scorers. I dont think jacob young is the answer, we NEED a quality grad transfer, juco or top tier high school player who can fill up the cup

To answer your last question, id consider anyone who shoots above like 35% from 3 above average. That gives us Geo, Mcconnell and in my opinion soon enough Ron. Since late december when caleb started playing regular minutes hes shooting 38-39% from 3. Ron is finding his stroke and shooting with confidence in rhythm and vs our past 2 top 25 opponents shot about 40% from 3. Mulcahy’s 3 ball has improved drastically. Im not really a fan of jacob young but his 3 ball is around 33%. So we’ll see.

Then around the end of January/February, you watched a handful of games, and suddenly he's going to be a 30 min a game guy, team captain, etc, etc.

Our bench: Kiss, Caleb, Myles, Carter, was pretty good by most objective measures. Kiss was a pretty important part of that. All four of those guys faced high major competition for the first time last season. I'd be surprised if any one of them wasn't better next year.

We have gotten better because our players have gotten better each of the three years under this coach. These threads tend not to age well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT