ADVERTISEMENT

Jaden Jones

Mbash93

Senior
Jan 23, 2012
Monroe Township, NJ
I know people are wondering if he'll be here next year due to the lack of PT he recieved this year and it's a fair question.

I personally think it's because of the talent in front of him more so than his lack of ability.

That being said are the same questions being asked by Villanova for a kid like Trey Patterson?

Similar situation with Jaden came a half year early and hasn't even sniffed the court since he's been there. Trey is also a local kid, apparently from someone who knows him he places a pretty big premium on academics.

So if it's a foregone conclusion we would lose JJ is it at all possible we add a kid like Trey?

Patterson is dedicated to Villanova and may get recruited over but isn't a transfer candidate....there are kids willing to wait their turn to get into the rotation there and Patterson was never a candidate to play many minutes this year....he enrolled early so he could get an entire season plus last years half year, to get acclimated and involved in the system.

The fact of the matter is if Jones does transfer there will be plenty of guys just like him in the portal. James Graham at Maryland comes to mind (former 4*, reclassified from 2021 to 2020, didn't get off the bench at Maryland, and left the team and is now in the portal). That's the type of player who enters the portal from every team.

I like Jones and really hope he stays but I wouldn't see it as the end of the world if he doesn't.

Reactions: DirtyRU
Patterson is dedicated to Villanova and may get recruited over but isn't a transfer candidate....there are kids willing to wait their turn to get into the rotation there and Patterson was never a candidate to play many minutes this year....he enrolled early so he could get an entire season plus last years half year, to get acclimated and involved in the system.
And that's all good who says that any different then jaden?

Point being people assuming he's transferring but no one assumes trey is ?

Reactions: shields
I don't like Jaden's body language on the bench at all. Kids like Oskar and Nathan are going crazy at every basket and Jaden just seems like he doesn't want to be there. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm sure he thought he would be in the rotation by this point. Hopefully he keeps working and realizes he is a huge part of this program going forward.

I watch this kid in the shoot around and warmups and he’s got it all man.
He’s got a live athletic body to go with it.
One day he’s going to put it all together
One of his shoes wasn’t even tied when he was playing yesterday. He’s not mentally ready yet. Who knows if he will be. As you know, talent is a lot of the game. But it takes more.

I’m not a rah rah guy but it’s seems much more mental than physical with him.

I know people are wondering if he'll be here next year due to the lack of PT he recieved this year and it's a fair question.

I personally think it's because of the talent in front of him more so than his lack of ability.

That being said are the same questions being asked by Villanova for a kid like Trey Patterson?

Similar situation with Jaden came a half year early and hasn't even sniffed the court since he's been there. Trey is also a local kid, apparently from someone who knows him he places a pretty big premium on academics.

So if it's a foregone conclusion we would lose JJ is it at all possible we add a kid like Trey?
Other than you, who is saying that Jones will transfer? Unless you know him or have inside info, you should stop this BS. He's new to college ball and developing. He has talent and will get his PT here so long as he earns it. And he probably is fine with that. He'll be park of a nice young team next year along with Paul, Cliff, Caleb, Dean, Mag, Hyatt, Miller, Oscar, and the freshmen.

Reactions: mugrat86
Other than you, who is saying that Jones will transfer? Unless you know him or have inside info, you should stop this BS. He's new to college ball and developing. He has talent and will get his PT here so long as he earns it. And he probably is fine with that. He'll be park of a nice young team next year along with Paul, Cliff, Caleb, Dean, Mag, Hyatt, Miller, Oscar, and the freshmen.
I am in the boat of he isn't going to transfer and is just stuck behind a lot of upper classmen

RU is a pretty good situation for Jones. It would be hard to transfer into a better one. RU loses key guys next year and he’s in line to compete for those minutes. He won’t find better unless he goes mid-major.
The opportunity for Jones is there next year for him at RU

And he is probably fine with it? Do you know this?

Jones mindset is really what matters here.

If he knows he has to work on some things and is ok with that and focusing on a bigger role next year then great.

If he thinks he should be playing now and isn't ok with his DNPs and mop up duty that's bad. He might want out. Whether he deserves to play or not is almost irrelevant

no idea if that is possible. i know trey liked pike a lot.

Reactions: shields and Mbash93
Took Dean until a few games in this year for us to see his true talent. Hoping for the same thing with Jaden

The opportunity for Jones is there next year for him at RU

And he is probably fine with it? Do you know this?

Jones mindset is really what matters here.

If he knows he has to work on some things and is ok with that and focusing on a bigger role next year then great.

If he thinks he should be playing now and isn't ok with his DNPs and mop up duty that's bad. He might want out. Whether he deserves to play or not is almost irrelevant
No, I don't know how he feels, but to push the idea that he's probably going to transfer is a disservice to him. People can interpret his body language all they want, but we should just quash this transfer talk and see what happens.

Reactions: Scarlet83
No, I don't know how he feels, but to push the idea that he's probably going to transfer is a disservice to him. People can interpret his body language all they want, but we should just quash this transfer talk and see what happens.
I'm not pushing that idea. I'm saying it's his mindset that matters not if he deserves to be playing or not.

Reactions: RutgersClassof2004
When the season started I thought he would be getting 20+ minutes per game by now. There will be opportunity next year but it seems to me like he is gone and Pike knows it. Hope I am wrong. I thought Pike should have used one of his two timeouts earlier, like three or four minutes left, to get subs a little more time.

Reactions: RUShea and koleszar
RU is a pretty good situation for Jones. It would be hard to transfer into a better one. RU loses key guys next year and he’s in line to compete for those minutes. He won’t find better unless he goes mid-major.
RU is a bad situation for him. The coaching staff demands defense for underclassmen to see the floor.

Reactions: mikebal9 and mikeyo
I don't like Jaden's body language on the bench at all. Kids like Oskar and Nathan are going crazy at every basket and Jaden just seems like he doesn't want to be there. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm sure he thought he would be in the rotation by this point. Hopefully he keeps working and realizes he is a huge part of this program going forward.
I think he is just a quiet and shy person.

I noticed the same thing. I hope he has good advisors in his corner. It's way too easy to give up on a situation these days. I also hope that Pike and staff have made it clear to Jones what he needs to do to get real playing time... a path to playing time, so to speak. I can't imagine they haven't.

RU is a bad situation for him. The coaching staff demands defense for underclassmen to see the floor.
That being the case, I 'd hope he's working hard on his defense. It's not like he won't have to play good defense somewhere else. To me, staying here is an opportunity for growth.

Reactions: Scarlet83
That’s true. If his goal is to see minutes while not playing D, RU isn’t your place. Hopefully he has better goals than that.

His film was good and he looks the part and I really thought he'd be first or second off the bench this season and scoring 8-9 points a game. Still think he's capable of being very productive, but he has to learn to play D if he wants to be successful here - it's simply not optional.

Jaden does not look happy. I really want him to stay and excel !

Hyatt just has to look in the mirror if he's unhappy. He's not good defensively; he's a turnover machine and his shooting % is not good. Not a good formula !

IMO Rutgers fans need to get out of the mindset of being afraid to lose guys who aren't playing. I like Jones' potential but if he's not doing what the coaches are asking then it's not going to work out here. There will be a ton of other players with potential in the portal I promise you. Of course a bird in the hand is worth more so I hope he doesn't transfer.

I will say that I absolutely don't understand playing Palmquist over him. Defense has been just as a big an issue for him as for Jones.

Hyatt has the issue where when he gets in the game he seems to want to prove what he can do on every possession. Which results in him forcing the action and not playing within the flow of the offense.

In Hyatt's minutes he's attempting a shot roughly as often as Harper. Considering that he's shooting 36%, that's not going to cut it. That's the same percentage as McConnell, but McConnell plays better (much better) defense and understands his role better.

Pikiell has arguably been a bit over-loyal to his returning players, but to be honest Hyatt hasn't demonstrated he should be playing more. And logically Jones must be showing the same in practice.

IMO Rutgers fans need to get out of the mindset of being afraid to lose guys who aren't playing. I like Jones' potential but if he's not doing what the coaches are asking then it's not going to work out here. There will be a ton of other players with potential in the portal I promise you. Of course a bird in the hand is worth more so I hope he doesn't transfer.

I will say that I absolutely don't understand playing Palmquist over him. Defense has been just as a big an issue for him as for Jones.

Hyatt has the issue where when he gets in the game he seems to want to prove what he can do on every possession. Which results in him forcing the action and not playing within the flow of the offense.

In Hyatt's minutes he's attempting a shot roughly as often as Harper. Considering that he's shooting 36%, that's not going to cut it. That's the same percentage as McConnell, but McConnell plays better (much better) defense and understands his role better.

Pikiell has arguably been a bit over-loyal to his returning players, but to be honest Hyatt hasn't demonstrated he should be playing more. And logically Jones must be showing the same in practice.
Palmquist is bigger, stronger, tougher, more experienced, and more court savvy than Jones at this point. Also, Oskar is a more willing defender than Jones. I think Oskar will be a pleasant surprise for a lot of people when he comes into his own, which may happen at times the rest of this year, but certainly next year, imo. Jaden will also be a nice player, but apparently people have higher expectations for him than for Oskar so they question why he isn't playing more, even though he hasn't earned it.

Jaden Jones is coming.along fine, and he is friends with Mawot Mag. Has he taken a few bad shots when he was getting starts and minutes that have felt like TOs, yes and has he taken himself out of the offense on possessions by sitting in corners, yes. Most kids understand they aren't going to get minutes right away on a new team. Hyatt's defense overall is underrated despite a few missteps here and there, LSU didn't play alot of defense while Hyatt was there. They are both key cogs for the next couple years.

Big picture my opinion only, Jaden feels like he is a Big Guard and can contribute there now. He doesn't take better shots than Geo or play close to the defense Caleb plays. Pike is trying to teach him the wing, like Paul did his freshman year, and envisions him taking over for Paul when the time is right to become Paul's replacement down the line. Jaden might not be as eager right now to learn the wing position off the bench as Paul was his first year.

Last edited:
Jaden Jones is not a turnover machine, he has 2 T0s on the year in about 220 offensive possessions. Has he taken a few bad shots when he was getting starts and minutes that have felt like TOs, yes and has he taken himself out of the offense on possessions by sitting in corners, yes.

Big picture my opinion only, Jaden feels like he is a Big Guard and can contribute there now. He doesn't take better shots than Geo or play close to the defense Caleb plays. Pike is trying to teach him the wing, like Paul did his freshman year, and envisions him taking over for Paul when the time is right to become Paul's replacement down the line. Jaden might not be as eager right now to learn the wing off the bench as Paul was his first year.
Turnovers was in reference to Hyatt, not Jones. Hyatt has 4 in his last 14 minutes of action. He's clearly pressing.

When I look at Jaden on the bench it appears he is still a very young guy who is afraid to just let it go. I think the talent I saw on his tapes shows that. This is a kid who can help us win. . He becomes mesmerized watching other very good and maybe great players week in and week out. He is afraid to make a mistake . That is up to our coaches to bring him out of this funk.

Reactions: BillyC80
Jaden Jones is coming.along fine, and he is friends with Mawot Mag. Has he taken a few bad shots when he was getting starts and minutes that have felt like TOs, yes and has he taken himself out of the offense on possessions by sitting in corners, yes. Most kids understand they aren't going to get minutes right away on a new team. Hyatt's defense overall is underrated despite a few missteps here and there, LSU didn't play alot of defense while Hyatt was there. They are both key cogs for the next couple years.

Big picture my opinion only, Jaden feels like he is a Big Guard and can contribute there now. He doesn't take better shots than Geo or play close to the defense Caleb plays. Pike is trying to teach him the wing, like Paul did his freshman year, and envisions him taking over for Paul when the time is right to become Paul's replacement down the line. Jaden might not be as eager right now to learn the wing position off the bench as Paul was his first year.
Yes his Twitter bio still says 6-9 PG.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT