ADVERTISEMENT

James Kratch says Art likely starts

I don’t want this to feel like I am bashing AS. In all accounts I’ve read, AS is a good kid. It’s just that I haven’t seen anything to prove he is a good QB. I can’t even name one play last year where I said, you know, this kid has it. Size and build yes. Between the ears, no. Prove me wrong Artur!

Ash is picking his hill to die on, and it's on top of a QB who never lit up anything in HS, but somehow is worth trotting out there every game in a Power 5 Conference, despite having one of the worst statistical seasons possible for a QB.

It's one thing if Art was lighting it up in practice, but he can't even succeed there! WHERE HE KNOWS NO ONE CAN TOUCH HIM AND HE DOESN'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT "HAPPY FEET" OR GETTING ANXIOUS IN THE POCKET.

From all the reports, Art struggles to do anything. Carter comes in plays with the same players that Art did and marches them down the field for a 80 yard TD drive no sweat.

I cannot wait for the day Ash is handed his termination letter, and resigns himself to know that he'll never be a Head Coach again in D1A football.

If you do t want to bash him try saying this. Art had a tough year but has all the tools and obviously the most upside of any QB since Nova. When he had time to throw last year he made some passes I have not seen since Nova. He has a lot of work to do but he can get it done just like Teel did after struggling his RS freshman year. Prove me right Arthur!

I’m all in behind whoever wins the job at every position.

Ash's job might depend on winning.. last year it was more about budget and contracts.. could be the same this year. But McNulty's job depends on the offense and whatever QB is counted on to execute said offense. If they go with AS at QB.. is that a McNulty call or an Ash call or both? I like Sitkowski's arm and courage. I hope his pre-snap and post-snap execution and decision-making shows improvement as I do for the receivers.

Reactions: Steve91562
tenor.gif

Reactions: Section124
I don’t want this to feel like I am bashing AS. In all accounts I’ve read, AS is a good kid. It’s just that I haven’t seen anything to prove he is a good QB. I can’t even name one play last year where I said, you know, this kid has it. Size and build yes. Between the ears, no. Prove me wrong Artur!
AS does not have to prove anything to you. He only has to prove it to the coaches and his teammates.

I can. He had a throw, through traffic in a tiny window, for a TD in the back of the endzone. Can not remember what game.

I can. He had a throw, through traffic in a tiny window, for a TD in the back of the endzone. Can not remember what game.
I can only remember the TD to Blackshear in the first game. And that was nothing special. The rest of the season all I remember is him throwing to the other team.

I trust your expertise so do you really see anything in AS that indicates he will even be serviceable. I’m not a fan of kids that were not productive in high school.

I honestly can’t take a reporter seriously who makes that statement at this time.

Week 1 of practice - Art had all reps with 1s

Scrimmage 1 - Art had 70% of reps with 1s

Scrimmage 2 - Art/Carter 50% of reps with 1s

Unless he predicts Art to start but both to rotate in, making a statement like this is probably the least likely scenario so I wouldn’t go out on a limb with that at this time like Kratch has.

“Forget about a redshirt” - also premature

It’s a shame bad reporting can warp perspective of a team so easily.

I honestly can’t take a reporter seriously who makes that statement at this time.

Unless he predicts Art to start but both to rotate in, making a statement like this is probably the least likely scenario so I wouldn’t go out on a limb with that at this time like Kratch has.

Umm thats exactly whay he said. Maybe you missed the end of the article:

"My gut tells me ... Sitkowski gets the start against UMass, but Carter plays and their respective performances determine who starts the second game of the season against Iowa."

That’s the expectation, I think. For Umass, Art starts, but both play.

The allocation of reps means nothing, because Carter was brought in to win the job, if he can.
Right now, I’d say both have a 50/50 shot.

Reactions: retired711
That’s the expectation, I think. For Umass, Art starts, but both play.

The allocation of reps means nothing, because Carter was brought in to win the job, if he can.
Right now, I’d say both have a 50/50 shot.

Allocation of reps means pretty much everything

Reactions: hiwater
I can only remember the TD to Blackshear in the first game. And that was nothing special. The rest of the season all I remember is him throwing to the other team.

I trust your expertise so do you really see anything in AS that indicates he will even be serviceable. I’m not a fan of kids that were not productive in high school.
My buddy coaches here in the shore conference and echos your last comment. If they arent producing in HS don't expect it in college, especially in the Big Ten.

Amazing how posters can make a claim of what they have seen in AS without seeing him this year. What he is not allowed to improve from one year to the next?

Even the best reporters have stated that they have had limited views to open practices

Amazing how posters can make a claim of what they have seen in AS without seeing him this year. What he is not allowed to improve from one year to the next?

Even the best reporters have stated that they have had limited views to open practices

FWIW I’ve seen him twice

I seriously doubt they split reps to determine the starter after umass. Whoever starts the first game is “our guy” barring a repeat of last year. Also The articles comments on qb development are borderline idiotic.

Umm thats exactly whay he said. Maybe you missed the end of the article:

"My gut tells me ... Sitkowski gets the start against UMass, but Carter plays and their respective performances determine who starts the second game of the season against Iowa."

-----
I am hoping it is Carter but what I think will happen

Art starts.... if we do not play well and the game is uncomfortably close, Art plays the entire game. Coach, in his mind, stays with his belief that Art will get us the win.

If we go up 4 tds with time left, Carter comes in

AS still looked as lost and confused as he did last year, in the spring game this year.....and that's playing in a no-contact jersey.

Reactions: Section124
What a piece of crap article. 100% speculation on his part. No facts or inside info to go with his theory.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Nice throw to Blackshear in Wisconsin game , not many other good throws.

He had a few that make me think he can get it done and he’s working hard a it too. Best of luck to whoever is on the field.

Reactions: rutgersal

I don’t want to bash him but.....

The coaches go with the QB they think will give them the best chance to succeed. Loyalty doesn't exist at the P5 level, this isn't Pop Warner football where the HC plays his son at QB even though he stinks. My guess is that if Art does start and continues to struggle we will see a change by the BC game. The BC game is the make or break game for Ash, home game against a very beatable P5 program coming off a bye week. He needs to win that one to demonstrate the "improvement" required by Hobbs.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Ash's job might depend on winning.. last year it was more about budget and contracts.. could be the same this year. But McNulty's job depends on the offense and whatever QB is counted on to execute said offense. If they go with AS at QB.. is that a McNulty call or an Ash call or both? I like Sitkowski's arm and courage. I hope his pre-snap and post-snap execution and decision-making shows improvement as I do for the receivers.
"Might depend on winning"?? You think? If this dumpster fire is allowed to continue beyond this year I may never come back. I'm sure I'm not alone.

"Might depend on winning"?? You think? If this dumpster fire is allowed to continue beyond this year I may never come back. I'm sure I'm not alone.
well.. my thought process there is about finances. If they did not replace Ash last year with all the logic that could be mustered to justify that.. what makes this year that much different? A couple million less in buy-out? Did they really not think they would lose so much in season tickets and donations and so on? They could see that coming last year and they still kept him. And this year being the 150th? A new coach and new hope might have done wonders.. and still they did not do it.

So.. I am thinking ANY sign of progress might be good enough to keep him and get closer to the full Big Ten payouts before making a move.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT