ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Hafley - PLEASE GOD NO!

Hafley would actually be a good hire. Great recruiter. I still want Schiano but if thats dead Hafley is a good choice. I just don't think he'd take this job.

Oh, and Fire Hobbs.
Why? Is he a good head coach? Is RU in the charity business if providing on the job training?

Yes he will with non-P5 teams - which is exactly why we should not consider him now until he proves it with a low-level team.

We do not need another OSU CO-coordinator of anything. Myself and anyone on this forum could be a coordinator at OSU and produce results.

He would also use this opportunity as a stepping stone job, while Butch Jones or Bielema would embrace this as a destination job. Big difference.

This would be a huge mistake. Just because the dopey national college football media says someone is a "hot assistant" coach doesn't mean anything.

You don't just hand guys P5/Big Ten head coaching jobs for being a rising asst who can recruit. You make them earn it as a head coach at a lower level college first. LIKE PJ FLECK DID. They better not make this move. Hafley has zero to do with any success OSU is having. Which are all Urban Meyer players by the way!

I was one of only a few on this forum who was trying to beg folks not to hire Ash. I'll stand on an island stating the same about Lil' Jeff Hafley. DO NOT CONSIDER HAFLEY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. ASH 2.0!!!!!!!
Greg was a DC with those same recruits last year and put the worst defense is OSU history on the field.

Reactions: jerzeyguy
We need a guy like Hafley.. ranked as the #3 recruiter in the country!
Recruiting at Ohio State is not recruiting. It is weeding through all the kids that want to come to OSU and just saying I'll take you, you and you, but not you. RU needs a coach who has been successful on the field and who can coach up the talent he has. It could be a non P5 coach or even a 1AA coach.

It's not like we have a ton of options at this point. We're a hot mess. Aim higher but aim realistically too.

Reactions: hiwater
THE Ohio State Defensive Co-Coordinator U.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we should print t-shirts.......

Reactions: SCILS02
ADVICE: if you really don't want a candidate to be hired.. just make sure Hobbs and Barchi think you DEMAND that he be hired.

We do not need another OSU CO-coordinator of anything. Myself and anyone on this forum could be a coordinator at OSU and produce results.

He would also use this opportunity as a stepping stone job, while Butch Jones or Bielema would embrace this as a destination job. Big difference.

This would be a huge mistake. Just because the dopey national college football media says someone is a "hot assistant" coach doesn't mean anything.

You don't just hand guys P5/Big Ten head coaching jobs for being a rising asst who can recruit. You make them earn it as a head coach at a lower level college first. LIKE PJ FLECK DID. They better not make this move. Hafley has zero to do with any success OSU is having. Which are all Urban Meyer players by the way!

I was one of only a few on this forum who was trying to beg folks not to hire Ash. I'll stand on an island stating the same about Lil' Jeff Hafley. DO NOT CONSIDER HAFLEY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. ASH 2.0!!!!!!!
I understand not waning another coordinator, but Hafely and Ash are not even remotely similar. Hafely is a hard working/outgoing good person with a great personality. He is a better recruiting PJ Fleck 2.0. Ash is a garden gnome with a boring monotone personality (compliments to kyk for that one). Seeing that Ash did not put in the work to get out visit and talk to all of the HS coaches in the state, I would call him lazy in comparison.

Ash was considered only an okay recruiter at OSU while we know that Hafely was considered a top recruiter at Pitt and RU. Neither place sells itsElf like OSU. Hafely has also coached at multiple teams in the NFL. That is a selling point for recruits that want to go to the next level also, Hafley wanted to come to RU after Pitt because his parents were here. I don't know if he is from NJ, but you know he is no country bumpkin that is uncomfortable talking to people like Ash was.

There is no similarity between Ash and Hafley. I want an experienced successful HC, but I would take a PJ Fleck 2.0 if one can not be had .

Last edited:
Reactions: goru7 and PaKnight
I don't know if Hafley would be a good coach. What I do know, he is an ELITE recruiter - the best of the best. He is 100x a better recruiter than Ash and 10x the recruiter Schiano was. He was beating Schiano like a rag doll in recruiting when he worked for the Stache.

Reactions: hiwater
So
I don't know if Hafley would be a good coach. What I do know, he is an ELITE recruiter - the best of the best. He is 100x a better recruiter than Ash and 10x the recruiter Schiano was. He was beating Schiano like a rag doll in recruiting when he worked for the Stache.
So ELITE for years YET can't sniff a head cosching job? And you want to just hand him a Power 5 Coaching job for proving nothing!

Greg was a coordinator...

So

So ELITE for years YET can't sniff a head cosching job? And you want to just hand him a Power 5 Coaching job for proving nothing!

Look, I have no idea whether he would be good coach. If I had a choice, I would opt for someone with HC experience. No more learning on the job.

BUT, at the same time, neither I or anybody else, knows if he would be a bad coach. At worse, he is a question mark. At best he is an elite recruiter.

If you say, risk too high, bad choice. Ok, I get it. However, you, seem to be convinced he would be a bad coach - even though there's no data whatsoever to support it.

So

He needed coordinator at a major program first. He has that resume builder now.:Football:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT