ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry carinos thoughts on practice today

There's a big difference between a "sudden" loss of a starter mid-season, and having the entire off-season to plan around not having him. AGREED

Thus, you're drawing a false equivalency here between (A) losing Eugene for 3 games and (B) having him transfer off the team. Just because we struggled without him during those 3 games doesn't automatically mean we will struggle in the same way without him on the team. AGREED

That said, I do share some of your concern that his absence will hurt our interior defense, but I think that the loss of Doorson will have an equal impact. DISAGREE

However, I think that the improvements of Myles, Carter, and Doucoure, the addition of Yeboah

(who is a good interior defender despite only being 6-6) HOW THE HECK DO YOU KNOW THIS?

, and our better offensive flow/output, NOT DISAGREEING

will more than offset those departures.

Agree 100%. Except that the team without Eugene last year was totally different than the team with him. Sample size small, but we were probably the worst team in the B1G without him. Do people remember losing to Northwestern at home?

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/game-17-northwestern-coulda-woulda-shoulda.160826/
“The team without him. “He has not been consistent and that is why Yeboah was brought in. I think Young will help. Not convinced on Yeboah.

After two seasons, I have turned into a realistic fan. I believe this season will start the turn of the tide. Close to .500. Tournament will depend on results in big ten tournament.

Winning record or bust this year.

Eugene and Doorson (and Thiam) out. Yeboah, Young, Mulcahy, and Duke in. We are smaller but the overall depth and talent is improved IMO. That ignores the expected improvement from returning players. I will be disappointed if we are playing on the first day of the B1G tournament.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
After two seasons, I have turned into a realistic fan. I believe this season will start the turn of the tide. Close to .500. Tournament will depend on results in big ten tournament.
If we are only close to .500 that would be a disaster and we would have no shot whatsoever at any post season tournament... Unless you mean .500 in league play and not overall record

It's not like the replacement pieces don't have some history with their previous teams. There is something to base it on and compare players. We all agreed that Eugene could be a black hole with the ball in his hands. That kills an offense every time. I think his replacements help the offense flow better and be a real threat. And let's not forget chemistry. Eugene seemed to wear out his welcome with some of the younger guys. How would that play out this year? There are a lot of factors to consider pro and con. I think the advantages with the replacements guys are a little ahead of the drawbacks.
Also based on previous two years, there is probably a good chance he knee goes out on him and he either misses games or is severely compromised.

If we are only close to .500 that would be a disaster and we would have no shot whatsoever at any post season tournament... Unless you mean .500 in league play and not overall record
.500 overall. Well see what happens. Too early to call a tournament run will be this year. I think they will be close, but not sure yet.

Disaster is 1-11 or 2-10

15-16 with a bunch of juniors and Baker and hopefully a few freshman would be mildly disappointing, but still would be in schedule

.500 overall. Well see what happens. Too early to call a tournament run will be this year. I think they will be close, but not sure yet.
You're not making any sense. Close to .500 overall is nowhere near a post season tournament... Not even remotely close

Disaster is 1-11 or 2-10

15-16 with a bunch of juniors and Baker and hopefully a few freshman would be mildly disappointing, but still would be in schedule
Under .500 this season would be a complete and utter failure. Your expectations are soooo freaking low

Last edited:
Reactions: NJDOVES
The Convention wisdom says that a good season and improvement is 9-11/18-13 and a NIT bid

However, I saw last years team as a team that with a touch more of luck and maturity would have been 17-14 and not 14-17, and building off that base

I really think we COULD surprise this year and surpass everyone’s high end expectations this year. Six first year guys are now second year guys and baker, young, and kiss enter third year

If the mental part of the game develops ahead of schedule and learn how to win ...LOOK OUT

Reactions: Scangg
I am on board with the fans saying this team is better than last years team.I do agree that it is

Losing Omoruyi will be a small, not major hit. Especially if Carter has made his strides as we've heard/seen. X factor to me is still Jacob Young and his ability to play on all three parts of the game, with main emphasis being defensively. I hope he can. The team needs defenders to step up. A defensive unit would have to include Young and Mathis out there together late in the game, and potentially before half.

I hope they can find a way to clean up free throw shooting. A hard task, but that will help.

The nerves are intense with 8,000 eyes on you. Relaxation and exact routine has to be a key. That can't be replicated in practice. Add in poor momentum and you have players lacking confidence under shaky nerves.
hopefully 16,000 eyes.

Reactions: higgins3
You're not making any sense. Close to .500 overall is nowhere near a post season tournament... Not even remotely close

Under .500 this season would be a complete and utter failure. Your expectations are soooo freaking low
Okay. As stated, its too early to call.

We are loooooong overdue for a season where we exceed expectations. Hopefully this will be that year. I’m very much looking forward to finding out.

Reactions: higgins3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT