ADVERTISEMENT

Just Play Wimsatt

RUgrad

Junior
Nov 27, 2011
We obviously can't compete right now and Wimsatt is a big recruit, with big potential, that everyone wanted, so play him. Who cares if Simon slightly beat him out on the meaningless games, this it the guy who can play at a higher level. We are not winning anything anyway, let the kid make mistakes and grow.

Focusing on winning 3 rather than 2 games in the Big Ten doesn't matter, play the future.

Reactions: RU84 and brucelaw8
We obviously can't compete right now and Wimsatt is a big recruit, with big potential, that everyone wanted, so play him. Who cares if Simon slightly beat him out on the meaningless games, this it the guy who can play at a higher level. We are not winning anything anyway, let the kid make mistakes and grow.

Focusing on winning 3 rather than 2 games in the Big Ten doesn't matter, play the future.
He was wearing a boot.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Yes, when he is healthy. Let him learn and grow the rest of this season and be ready to start next year. We need an athletic QB with the threat of throwing the ball down the field. The RPO offense is the only way to compete at this level. We don’t have enough talent up front or outside to run a more conventional offense.

Reactions: rumarine
Practice is where you learn and grow. Games are where you prove you have grown.
Not so. You can’t replicate game speed in practice. You learn by playing in actual games. It’s why “game experience” in football means so much.

Let's hope Greg or one of his assistant coaches reads this board & sees this. I'm sure they have never really given this any thoughts & will be thankful that you are suggesting that their QB who has been in a boot for 2 weeks should be let out onto the field for a game.

New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU

Wimsatt needs to improve his accuracy. I think we can develop both Simon and Wimsatt if the season becomes a wash.

Here's an idea. Play the best guy whoever it is to win as many games as possible now. Going to a bowl is the goal right now.

Not so. You can’t replicate game speed in practice. You learn by playing in actual games. It’s why “game experience” in football means so much.
I agree that playing in games is valuable experience. But you prepare far more in practice reps.

GW is an 18 year old kid still. He couldnt do pullups last year. Throwing him to the wolves in games would break him mentally and probably physically.

His practice reps and film preparation are extremely valuable tools right now. He will get on the field and take over the system when he is ready.

Did you actually watch yesterday's game? Because if you did you'd know he's still in a walking boot and was not dressed.

Odds are he's probably not playing until maybe Indiana since RU has a bye week after the Nebraska game on Friday.

I agree that playing in games is valuable experience. But you prepare far more in practice reps.

GW is an 18 year old kid still. He couldnt do pullups last year. Throwing him to the wolves in games would break him mentally and probably physically.

His practice reps and film preparation are extremely valuable tools right now. He will get on the field and take over the system when he is ready.
Thank you. See: Artur Sitkowski. Art may have had other issues too, but he got thrown in too soon.

Practice is where you learn and grow. Games are where you prove you have grown.
You are both right.

As a general rule @gef21 is spot on. True in all sports.

However, to @RUGuitarMan 's point, IMO out of all sports, football QB is the position where success on the practice field is least predictive of success in actual competition.

Well maybe baseball batting practice is less predictive, but you get my point.

Reactions: gef21 and RUnTeX
Wow. Dumbfounded by that. I would think he could manage a few. Did he never lift in HS and do lat pulls or shoulder work?
Don't think so. I mentioned the pullups thing to someone close to him, and it seemed his HS did not have much (if any) of a strength and conditioning program.

I asked a strength and conditioning staff member about this, and he said it was non uncommon for players to be unable to do many pullups when they arrive.

Here's the article.

Reactions: RUChoppin
You’re both right. Game experience counts more but the practice reps are much higher in number and you grow more there.

He was playing a lot before he got hurt so this thread is kind of silly to begin with.

No,it's fact. Wimsatt admitted as much in an interview a few weeks ago.
Incredible that he couldn't do a pullup. I know I'm old, but well over half of the guys in my seventh grade gym class could do a pullup. (Yes, I mean a pull-up, not a chin-up). I know things have changed in the over half century since then, but still . .. guys these days must do very few things that develop upper-body strength.

Assuming he was healthy, at this point in his development, could Gavin have taken the beating Evan took from Iowa?

How does he run with a boot on his foot?

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Assuming he was healthy, at this point in his development, could Gavin have taken the beating Evan took from Iowa?
I do not think he could take the beating physically or mentally at this point.

I do not think he could take the beating physically or mentally at this point.
I get it that some believe Gavin is not ready due to his young age and want to spare him the damage to his psyche. Im not sure how anyone on this site can speak on his mental toughness but lets assume they are correct for argument sake. What I don't get is the he can't take the physical beating BS.

Gavin is 6'3" and 220 lbs after putting on 20 lbs of muscle since his arrival. Vedral is 6'1" and 200 lbs, Simon is 6'3" and 205 lbs and somehow despite their smaller frames and stature, they can take it and Gavin can't.. Not to mention Gavin is a superior athlete and may be able to elude the pass rushers and avoid some of the hits that Simon takes. Hopefully someone can make sense of the logic that was used to conclude Gavin can't take the beating.

Reactions: RUBlackout
I get it that some believe Gavin is not ready due to his young age and want to spare him the damage to his psyche. Im not sure how anyone on this site can speak on his mental toughness but lets assume they are correct for argument sake. What I don't get is the he can't take the physical beating BS.

Gavin is 6'3" and 220 lbs after putting on 20 lbs of muscle since his arrival. Vedral is 6'1" and 200 lbs, Simon is 6'3" and 205 lbs and somehow despite their smaller frames and stature, they can take it and Gavin can't.. Not to mention Gavin is a superior athlete and may be able to elude the pass rushers and avoid some of the hits that Simon takes. Hopefully someone can make sense of the logic that was used to conclude Gavin can't take the beating.
It’s more to do with his inability to read defenses properly, knowing when to throw the ball away, making the right decision in RPO as to why he’s not ready. You don’t throw green QBs out there expecting them to learn on the fly unless you want another Art situation where the damage can’t be undone. When he shows in practice that he’s ready to take the reins then he’ll get the playing time. No reason to rush him because the remaining games are much tougher teams than the OOC schedule.

Reactions: MrsScrew
It’s more to do with his inability to read defenses properly, knowing when to throw the ball away, making the right decision in RPO as to why he’s not ready. You don’t throw green QBs out there expecting them to learn on the fly unless you want another Art situation where the damage can’t be undone. When he shows in practice that he’s ready to take the reins then he’ll get the playing time. No reason to rush him because the remaining games are much tougher teams than the OOC schedule.
His inability to read defenses is on the coaching staff. But the staff develops more problems by continuing to sit him. Other big-time recruits see this and think could this happen to me? The other, and more pressing problem is how do you gain valuable experience? There is only so much you can learn standing and watching. At some point, the staff has to play him.

Vedral is low risk, low reward. How much more can fans stand taking baby steps? I hear others saying next year is the year, but it's not if the play of the QB still stinks and can't match the play of everyone else.

Perhaps th
His inability to read defenses is on the coaching staff. But the staff develops more problems by continuing to sit him. Other big-time recruits see this and think could this happen to me? The other, and more pressing problem is how do you gain valuable experience? There is only so much you can learn standing and watching. At some point, the staff has to play him.

Vedral is low risk, low reward. How much more can fans stand taking baby steps? I hear others saying next year is the year, but it's not if the play of the QB still stinks and can't match the play of everyone else.
Maybe the thinking is to redshirt him this year. Or did he already have a sunburn year?

Did you watch the Wagner game? Blaming it on subbing in and out is BS. That’s like playing a high school team. You don’t prep a kid by putting them in a BIG game and allowing them to throw picks and fumble the football. I don’t know where he’s at now, but based on where he was when we last saw him he was not ready to be out there. As someone else pointed out, we have seniors on the team trying to compete for a bowl bid for their last time. You do not simply hand wins to the opposing team hoping it helps a young QB learn for future years.

Now GS commented that Wimsatt is improving at practice. How much of that is true vs him trying to dangle hope out there to the fans who want him to play to keep them engaged? I have no idea. But the one thing he’s most certainly being straightforward about is focusing on winning now. If you watched the Wagner game you ought to know Gavin at that point was not likely to be able to play a clean enough game help us win yet as the main QB. At least not then.

Also, no highly recruited player is willing to sit too long (2 seasons) when the competition isn't head and shoulders above you. Again, this falls on the shoulders of the staff to develop and not rely on talent developing itself. That's how it appears now.

Reactions: billhilf
Vederal will play if D plays lights out.

Wimsatt will play if we need to keep pace on O.

just my 2 cents

You can't redshirt because he used it last fall. Although he enrolled late, he did play last year appearing in 4 games.

Technically, couldn’t he still qualify for a medical redshirt this year. I don’t think that’s the plan, I’m just saying it may not be out of the cards at this point.

Based on GS’s comments we already know that Gavin has passed Simon on the depth chart. Granted, Simon played himself into that position based on Nebraska but the point still stands. GS also said that Gavin made a lot of improvement this past week in practice. And, it makes sense when you saw the stuff we ran against Indiana — a handful of deep balls and roll outs with throws at 3 levels. It makes the decision making process much easier on the QB.

IMO, we start to see Gavin very soon and I wouldn’t be surprised if he the full time starter for the last 3 games.

Reactions: rumarine
Did you watch the Wagner game? Blaming it on subbing in and out is BS. That’s like playing a high school team. You don’t prep a kid by putting them in a BIG game and allowing them to throw picks and fumble the football. I don’t know where he’s at now, but based on where he was when we last saw him he was not ready to be out there. As someone else pointed out, we have seniors on the team trying to compete for a bowl bid for their last time. You do not simply hand wins to the opposing team hoping it helps a young QB learn for future years.

Now GS commented that Wimsatt is improving at practice. How much of that is true vs him trying to dangle hope out there to the fans who want him to play to keep them engaged? I have no idea. But the one thing he’s most certainly being straightforward about is focusing on winning now. If you watched the Wagner game you ought to know Gavin at that point was not likely to be able to play a clean enough game help us win yet as the main QB. At least not then.
I watch every game and usually more than once.
You can hand over the job to a young QB and win. It often happens in college football. The difference is the development and support. That hasn't been the case here. I've played with Ray Lucas (RS frosh), and he delivered. I've played with Darian Hagan (Colorado), who finished 6th in the Heisman after having 25 snaps the year before as a frosh.

The staff hasn't developed other aspects of the game for Wimsatt or Simon.
Simon is pass-heavy even though he can run. The few times Rutgers has run RPO with Simon, his gains have been substantial. Defenses don't think Simon will run because Rutgers seldom uses him in that capacity. When it comes to Wimsatt, it's RPO, with him keeping it 95% of the time. Then the majority of his passes are deep down the field. How many easy passing plays have they run for Wimsatt? How many RPO plays do they run for Simon when the defense is keying the RB in a running situation?

The bottom line, the football team, is a large organization where everyone will have different views and opinions on how to succeed. Gleeson didn't get the job done, and he apparently set the QB room back by not developing the QB. I'm not a Vedral fan, but I thought the play-calling Saturday better matched his abilities. Rutgers cut the field in half to make it easier to read the defense and limit mistakes. Vedral had either one or two options on a pass, throw it away if nothing is there or he could run it. What's to say something similar can't be done for Simon or Wimsatt?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT