ADVERTISEMENT

Key tonight: Myles Johnson foul trouble

read option

All Conference
Nov 12, 2013
Garza is maybe the best Big man in the country. Iowa goes as Garza does. Low post terror scoring, rebounding, and passing. With our lack of depth at the 5, Myles has to stay on the floor. 2 quick fouls would mean on the bench for pretty much the remainder of the 1H, and predominantly Carter matching up with Garza.

I don’t think we can fully expect Myles to be successful defending Garza without fouling if we do not give him some help. So what’s our plan? Here’s to hoping we find a way to slow Garza down (IMHO 20 points, 8 Rebs is slowing him down, that’s how good he’s been) and getting a HUGE win tonight.

Reactions: Scangg
Garza is maybe the best Big man in the country. Iowa goes as Garza does. Low post terror scoring, rebounding, and passing. With our lack of depth at the 5, Myles has to stay on the floor. 2 quick fouls would mean on the bench for pretty much the remainder of the 1H, and predominantly Carter matching up with Garza.

I don’t think we can fully expect Myles to be successful defending Garza without fouling if we do not give him some help. So what’s our plan? Here’s to hoping we find a way to slow Garza down (IMHO 20 points, 8 Rebs is slowing him down, that’s how good he’s been) and getting a HUGE win tonight.
I think we have to let him guard him one on one they have 3 excellent 3 point shooter and we cannot come off of them let’s see what game plan Pikell draws up on defense

I would start Carter and bring Myles in at the 5 min mark. He always seems too amped up in the beginning

I agree. Johnson hasn’t shown the ability to avoid the early foul. Also, Garza will bring him outside, and unlike most bigs, he has to be guarded out there, where Johnson seems to get half of his fouls anyway. This is not a good matchup for him.

There's no key to any RU game regarding Myles and foul trouble. There are too many other options we can go to, that can force the other team to adjust to us, not the other way around.

This is a matchup of wings and guards.....my own gameplan is to allow Garza as many shots as he is willing to shoot and take inventory of Weiskamp and Frederick etc on the perimeter. You can give up 30 to 35 points to Garza and still win this game. You can't give up 20+ to their 3 point shooters that rely on Garza for double teams.

I’m more concerned with Myles fouling when LG puts the ball on the floor than when he catches in the paint.

Reactions: CHR2022
There's no key to any RU game regarding Myles and foul trouble. There are too many other options we can go to, that can force the other team to adjust to us, not the other way around.

This is a matchup of wings and guards.....my own gameplan is to allow Garza as many shots as he is willing to shoot and take inventory of Weiskamp and Frederick etc on the perimeter. You can give up 30 to 35 points to Garza and still win this game. You can't give up 20+ to their 3 point shooters that rely on Garza for double teams.
I agree 100% let Garza get his 2 pointers and keep the other guys from getting their 3 pointers and we win this game

Reactions: Degaz-RU and Scangg
Perhaps coming out in a stretch zone defense would take Iowa off guard allow Myles some help and to settle his amped up nerves. It allows covering threes while not giving up cheapies. Play it off and on during the game and I think it may be enough to throw off Iowa and keep guys on the floor out of foul trouble

Maybe we make some early shots and they don't. Some things could go our way. Just be ready to make a few adjustments and hopefully our " D " is the winner.

Reactions: BillyC80
Any info on Carter? He was on the bench for the 2nd half of the Minn game with no PFs. Is he healthy and playing tonight?

Garza and Johnson likely a wash - it seems like an automatic key to the game regarding Johnson and fouls.

Real key is our three point defense - Iowa loves to shoot from the arc.

Another key is foul shooting - as we expect a tight game.

How did Garza play and how did we defend him last year when we technically beat them twice.
I understand we lost game one on a shot that will never be made again as long as the game is played

How did Garza play and how did we defend him last year when we technically beat them twice.
I understand we lost game one on a shot that will never be made again as long as the game is played
We played straight man with Doorson on him but Garza has taken his 3 point game to another level this year ,, where Shaquille would never had come out to guard him last year but Myles will. Garza’s footwork and mid range game is old school elite.

Reactions: gregkoko and Scangg
If Garza’s game tonight is taking 3s..I’ll take it
He will do both but we do not need him hitting 5 threes , which he could do if left open. He is relentless on the block and makes a lot of tough shots from weird angles. Myles total presence , wingspan and rim protection will affect him tonight.

He will do both but we do not need him hitting 5 threes , which he could do if left open. He is relentless on the block and makes a lot of tough shots from weird angles. Myles total presence , wingspan and rim protection will affect him tonight.
Don’t think you can defend his 3s, it means he’s not under the basket

Don’t think you can defend his 3s, it means he’s not under the basket
Yes you can. They run a screen and pop , like the NBA stuff, and instead of rolling to the basket , he floats to the three point line. Myles hedges that hard but has to deflect as many passes coming to Garza from the guard as possible.

Although not as miraculous, lets not pretend the go ahead 3 point shot by Rutgers that I'm fairly confident hit rim, backboard and then rim again before going down was a high probability shot.

Although not as miraculous, lets not pretend the go ahead 3 point shot by Rutgers that I'm fairly confident hit rim, backboard and then rim again before going down was a high probability shot.
Those shots happen everyday in hoops. The shot your guy took to beat us was one in a million.

Our guy if given the opportunity to make that same shot at the same moment 100 times, on a bad day he’d make it 10 times.
Your guy given the same scenario could take that same shot 1000 times, and on a good day he’d make it 0 times

Myles total presence , wingspan and rim protection will affect him tonight.

As much as winning tonight will take a full team effort, tonight will be an excellent chance to see where Myles is among the BIG bigs. Really looking forward to watching that match up play out.

Perhaps coming out in a stretch zone defense would take Iowa off guard allow Myles some help and to settle his amped up nerves. It allows covering threes while not giving up cheapies. Play it off and on during the game and I think it may be enough to throw off Iowa and keep guys on the floor out of foul trouble

I wouldn’t stray from what’s worked so far. RU’s man D is elite and unless the zebras try to level the playing field for Iowa because of RU’s quickness/physicality with a ton of early fouls, I wouldn’t anticipate drastically different shooting % than what opposing teams have averaged over 18 games. Harass their guards and disrupt their perimeter game and they have a shot at a road W

No!

In your face man D. Our calling card. Iowa, michigan state or Duke not dictating what base D we play.

Reactions: BOCA93 and Scangg

An incredible shot from the deep left corner, shooter going out of bounds, yet somehow banks it high off the glass and thru the net for the game winner.

Don’t recall a more timely, difficult and unlikely game winning shot ever in any basketball game at any level.

Yep, this is the key to the game. Hopefully the refs arent in we loathe Myles mode.

Ron Harper is the key. Iowa is a bad defensive team and once again Harper needs to dominate Weiskamp or whoever else they put on him. Drive and score, draw fouls and make foul shots.

Ron Harper is the key. Iowa is a bad defensive team and once again Harper needs to dominate Weiskamp or whoever else they put on him. Drive and score, draw fouls and make foul shots.
Play bully ball until they fold under the relentless pressure

Garza and Johnson likely a wash - it seems like an automatic key to the game regarding Johnson and fouls.

Real key is our three point defense - Iowa loves to shoot from the arc.

Another key is foul shooting - as we expect a tight game.
Another key are the refs Iowa shot like 27 free throws against Michigan and I think Michigan had only 5 attempts the whole game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT