ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk is a top 20 OC in America, Most Here Dont Know What Hes Trying to do, We Explain In The Thread

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

Im not saying this to be a condescending asshole however after yesterdays game its quite obvious from an x’s and o’s perspective most of our fans arent really familiar with football from a scheme perspective.

This summer I analyzed all of Kirk’s games from Minny in 2022. Started threads on the film breakdowns (but no one really cared haha) so Im pretty familiar with his offense.

Lets start with one video and then ill just keep it to the very 1st play from yesterday as it really just shows it all. I can get into all our plays if you want me to but itd just be a lot of repetitive stuff.

I had a second video from one of kirks clinics talks this offseason but after posting it yesterday it got deleted from youtube.

Alright so lets start with the very first offensive play from yesterday.

We come out 3X1 with a wing (langan) attached to the formation. This means the defense has 7 gaps to defend and pre-snap look shows that 7th defender in the run fit will be the apex hybrid safety/LB (the guy creeping up who winds up making the tackle). Pre-snap look also shows that to the field side (the side we only have 1 WR lined up) that wisconsin looks to be playing trap coverage. What that means is that the corner is sitting to jump any hitch/slant/out while the field safety has anything vertical over the top. So a hitch/slant/out wont work there but to the untrained eye you probably think thats open due to the corner being 7 yards off.

Now typically in kirk’s past years, he would check here to a glance and have the qb read the apex defender. For apples to apples, heres him coaching vs us last year. Same formation but this time the apex defender identified pre-snap is on the other side entering the run fit as the 7th man (igbinosun) so kirk buzzes a glance by his ear for an easy 20 yard gain.

This was Kirk’s #1 most common rpo play ran during the past decade of his coaching career. This year though its non-existent. It’s not because he doesnt want to run it, its because he has a qb who is one of the least accurate amongst all fbs qb’s at throws over the middle of the field. Hitting this play slows down a defender from entering the run fit, leading to more explosive run plays and also, allows our pass game to hit big explosive plays if the defense is overly aggressive in trying to stop the run.

Anyway, we have a great OC, when the qb position is fixed the program will consistently be a 7-8 win program

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News