ADVERTISEMENT

Let Myles Start next game

RUSCFORMERLYRULOU

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 12, 2017
I think Cliff might benefit from watching the game for a few minutes before jumping in. Yes, I know Myles has a propensity to foul early. But if we get another game before Syracuse Id like to see this happen.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
But in the last two games we haven't started well defensively. Myles is the better defender inside right now.

Reactions: hiwater
I have yet to figure out why Pike is starting Cliff.
Unless I’m wrong I’m thinking most the board believes Myles will be the starter come B1G schedule
My thought is to look at how each big matches with who else is on the floor.
Starting Young and Mathis means the starting lineup wants to emphasize ball pressure turnovers and breaking in transition. Cliff is the better fit for that scenario.

With Geo healthy, Mulchahy and Myles are the first two off the bench. They both like to move the ball around in a halfcourt set. Not to mention both have a huge size advantage over most Big Ten backups.

Reactions: Scangg
I fully believe Myles will be starting the Syracuse game and that Pikiell simply used the first three games to get Cliff the most experience and evaluate his game with the least amount of risk.

I too think he’s just trying to get him some burn and come conference play we’ll see myles out there.
Can’t hurt especially against inferior opponents.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
If it doesn't matter to Myles this is a non issue to me.

Assuming exactly 1 is on the court

5c-5m-5c-5m

Myles is on the court at the end.

Now if you want Myles playing 13 minutes per half it does make sense for him to start because it allows more opportunities to rest.

5m-3c-4m-4c-4m

The trick is not to have Myles foul early ...you want him in the court for the last 6-8 minutes with 3 fouls or less ...

My thought is to look at how each big matches with who else is on the floor.
Starting Young and Mathis means the starting lineup wants to emphasize ball pressure turnovers and breaking in transition. Cliff is the better fit for that scenario.

With Geo healthy, Mulchahy and Myles are the first two off the bench. They both like to move the ball around in a halfcourt set. Not to mention both have a huge size advantage over most Big Ten backups.
I was thinking this might be the strategy as well. He wants to start the games with a faster lineup to set the tone and push the pace early. It also has the save Myles foul trouble benefit.

I like Mulcahy with Myles as he can get the ball to Myles in the post and we have already seen them work the 2 man game effectively with Paul cutting after the post entry. We haven't seen too many post attempts from Myles but we have seen a ton of zone early in the season. When we get to B1G schedule and see more man, Myles is now maybe a scoring option off the bench when the subs come in

Agree with FIG, as long as Myles doesn't mind coming off the bench it makes no difference to me

In the past it was because of Myles getting in foul trouble early. Maybe Pike wants to continue to see him come off the bench to be a difference maker later in games.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Hopefully Miles (as an upperclassman) will start to garner some respect from the officials in the B1G. No way Garza gets called for a illegal screen 30 seconds into a game.

That alone would keep Miles on the floor.

Reactions: Scangg
Hopefully Miles (as an upperclassman) will start to garner some respect from the officials in the B1G. No way Garza gets called for a illegal screen 30 seconds into a game.

That alone would keep Miles on the floor.
Myles needs to 1st get respect from Rutgers fans.

If Myles starts how often is the offense going to run through him with Geo Young Mathis and Harper on the court all wanting to get shots up? If he comes in with the second unit, it is hopefully a way to feature him in the offense more and let Cliff start with that group since he doesn't really need post touches on offense. The more I think about it the more I hope this is the idea and the more I like it. Myles needs more post touches and pairing him with Palmquist minutes to space the floor makes sense as well

Reactions: zebnatto
I think that Cliff is starting because of Myles' tendancy to get into foul trouble. I would much rather have Myles at the end of the game should things be close than at the beginning.

Everyone seems to forget Shaq started the final 8 games last season. As good as Myles is, he’s a foul machine. Pike is fine with our better center coming off the bench and I don’t see that changing unless Myles cleans up his game
oh yeah.. I did forget about that. that strategy worked as teams were specifically running plays just to generate fouls early.. and the refs cooperated.

well done with the memory sir.

oh yeah.. I did forget about that. that strategy worked as teams were specifically running plays just to generate fouls early.. and the refs cooperated.

Clearly I have a better memory than you. What was the team's final record? Were they a lock for the N.C.A.A. tournament? Did we lose any games because of Myles' foul shooting woes?

Clearly I have a better memory than you. What was the team's final record? Were they a lock for the N.C.A.A. tournament? Did we lose any games because of Myles' foul shooting woes?
purely from memory.. was it 20-11?

I don't specifically recall any losses because of foul shooting.. but Myles sitting the bench in foul trouble had been worrisome. Foul-shot differential cost us games.. Iowa for example.. Michigan at MSG (I think).

I prefer Cliff starts. We need Myles production off the bench especially now and it minimizes his propensity of getting into early foul trouble.

Right now with Geo hurt, Myles is our only real legitimate scoring off the bench. I excluded Mag;Palmquist etc

Everyone seems to forget Shaq started the final 8 games last season. As good as Myles is, he’s a foul machine. Pike is fine with our better center coming off the bench and I don’t see that changing unless Myles cleans up his game
Agree with RUTravesty plus we are playing teams without true centers which mean they may want to run or the floor spreadand Cliffs can run the floor and is a better perimeter defender than Myles. In the long run watch who is on the floor at crunch time.

purely from memory.. was it 20-11?

I don't specifically recall any losses because of foul shooting.. but Myles sitting the bench in foul trouble had been worrisome. Foul-shot differential cost us games.. Iowa for example.. Michigan at MSG (I think).
Interesting how this guy FORGOT about this thread...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT