ADVERTISEMENT

Let the speculation begin…who are the top prospects to fill the role of AD?….Go!

BROTHERSKINNY

Heisman Winner
Oct 21, 2010
So now that Pat has resigned who are the top prospects to lead Rutgers Athletic Department?
My vote would be for Tim Pernetti to return but he is now head of the AAC and I think it would be considered a step down to go from head of a conference to a middle Big Ten program. Let’s start circulating some names.

Boo Corrigan - high level football guy

I don't follow executives but Boo worked a miracle at Army - coming from ND sports (spesh marketing) helped.
He just re-upped with NC State for like a mil a year (Kirk money).
I'm sure its hard to get people with jobs and the timing is so bad now.
I suppose an interim was mentioned somewhere

"The Notre Dame graduate got his first full-time posting as an athletic director at Army in 2011. During his time at West Point, the Black Knights won three consecutive bowl games for the first time in program history. Meanwhile, Army earned the Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy in back-to-back years — also for the first time in program history.

Corrigan helped establish an era of exceptionalism, receiving the “Athletic Director of the Year” award in 2017."

Last edited:
Boo Corrigan - high level football guy

I don't follow executives but Boo worked a miracle at Army - coming from ND sports (spesh marketing) helped.
He just re-upped with NC State for like a mil a year (Kirk money).
I'm sure its hard to get people with jobs and the timing is so bad now.
I suppose an interim was mentioned somewhere
**** Boo
Literally, that prick can kiss my ass

Tim is commissioner of the AAC and he might feel that's a better situation then going to the school that fired him, even if that school is his Alma Mater

Sarah Baumgartner would be a good choice and probably is ready to step up from her Executive Senior Associate Athletics Director for Sports Administration position at Texas since 2021'

Her five years as deputy director of athletics at Rutgers before going to Texas will help her make the jump from being a #2 to a #1 more easily

Reactions: eddynyse
Would love to get Tim back. Not sure the Board would approve that though since he was fired here?

As far as being a step down, I don’t think so. The AAC is a time bomb of irrelevance waiting to happen. He’d have an opportunity to do big things at RU.

Will never not have Rich DeMarco - Associate Athletics Director at Army and Rutgers Class of '98 graduate on my short list.

I’d love to have Pernetti .. I think his energy and passion would thrive with the now better situation we’re in.

I think Sarah is also a great choice and would hit the ground running.

Open to outsiders as well but it would have to be someone who has such an outstanding track record at an established big time school in a power 3 conference. This job is a top job in ncaa now. Rutgers is in a great spot for the next person

Why the love for Pernetti? He made some awful coaching hires. Sarah Baumgartner 100%, even Kate Sweeney would be happy its a woman

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Why the love for Pernetti? He made some awful coaching hires. Sarah Baumgartner 100%, even Kate Sweeney would be happy its a woman
How dare you mention Kate Sweeney... armed guard should stand outside Hollowaly's and teh search committee's doors to keep her away.

But I'd be happy to have Pernetti.. he got screwed. The budget and Barchi prevented him from hiring anyone good. That has changed. Pernetti and Schiano can finish what they, and Bob Mulcahy began.. together.

Schiano is here for life, my concern is Steve Pikiell. Why is there a clause in his contract that cuts his buyout in half if Hobbs is not here? The new AD better get along with Pikes. Thank God Hurley came back to UCONN.

As long as it is someone qualified and a good fundraiser

NJ is so unique the next AD needs to understand the political landscape. Rutgers doesn’t have the overwhelming support/backing in Trenton that other large state schools - at least those outside of New England typically enjoy.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Pernetti if the stars could ever align…. Jersey being Jersey taking care of unfinished business. A long shot. Baumgartner is intriguing.

Richie said in his podcast that Baumgartner might not be interested in coming back to Rutgers, she is currently #2 at Texas and is going to wait until she is AD there. Maybe Pisarri goes from interim to full time AD, hes a NJ/Rutgers guy and Schiano spoke highly of him at the press conference today.

Last edited:
I’d love to have Pernetti .. I think his energy and passion would thrive with the now better situation we’re in.

I think Sarah is also a great choice and would hit the ground running.

Open to outsiders as well but it would have to be someone who has such an outstanding track record at an established big time school in a power 3 conference. This job is a top job in ncaa now. Rutgers is in a great spot for the next person

Do Pernetti and Sarah fit the same requirements as you list for an "outsider" though?

My first reaction to candidates is the same as I usually have for coaches - nobody formerly associated with Rutgers.
Far too often people seem to give elevated status to "used to be here".

Just get the best candidate possible.
At best, "user to be here" could be a tiebreaker. But shouldn't be a tangible factor.

NJ is so unique the next AD needs to understand the political landscape. Rutgers doesn’t have the overwhelming support/backing in Trenton that other large state schools - at least those outside of New England typically enjoy.
^^^ THIS*1000 ^^^

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT