ADVERTISEMENT

Let's go METS 2016 thread ......Just get in and anything can happen!

Just here to make fun of you Mets fans one more time:

Playoff games won in 2016:
Mets = 0
Yanks = 0

Good luck with Generation K 2.0 next season!

Reactions: Kbee3
The chant has shifted from "Let's Go Mets" to "Let's Go Trump",as the Mets are 0 for 19 for winning seasons during the first term of a Democratic President.

Chapman and Melancon are both better than Familia. Probably Jansen, too. And that's just the NL.
-------------
I will tell you, I don't watch the majority of the Met games, but I could not stand Familia coming in as the closer..... at least from mid season on..... Yes, he had a lot of consecutive saves, but I just don't think he looked good, or dominant doing it.

It seemed, if the other team was patient, he would walk himself into trouble, and then when he had to put it over with men on base, he got dinged

there were a lot of games he would come in with a lead, get himself in trouble, and maybe work out of it..... some saves seemed fortunate, and he made it much harder on the team

When they brought him in for the ninth, it did not shock me that he would give up runs.... I know this goes contrary to
popular opinion, but I would rather have someone else.

Familia is always a bad choice in the non-save situation, he clearly can not focus on it. Especially in this case where you face a weak hitting team and have plenty of fresh arms at your disposal. You still had time to correct the mistake when you saw the control issues. Collins needed to extend this game as far as possible, and going for his closer so soon, and then not realizing the fail, was his demise.

Didn't have a problem with it - countless saves. Just has to do better than that.

The mets won 87 of 163 games this season.
The Yankees won 84 of 162 games this season.
Calm yourself mets fans. It'll soon be all over for you too.

You can call me Kreskin.

Last edited:
Hopefully the Mets wont be as disappointed with this years "second place finnish" as the Yankees did last year when Houston's Dallas Kuechel shut them down and out.

BTW, two years ago, TWO "second place finnishers" played in the best World Series in years. Guess San Francisco and Kansas City were disappointed with their second place finnish as well, eh?

Dallas Kuechel=Madison Bumgarner.

Did the Mets have a plane to catch? 21 pitches in three innings, take a pitch.
Why? Book on MadBum is that if you are going to get him, you have to get him early. No problem with being aggressive there. He was throwing strikes and you only get three of them. Why voluntarily give one up?

Reactions: Knight Shift
Familia is always a bad choice in the non-save situation, he clearly can not focus on it. Especially in this case where you face a weak hitting team and have plenty of fresh arms at your disposal. You still had time to correct the mistake when you saw the control issues. Collins needed to extend this game as far as possible, and going for his closer so soon, and then not realizing the fail, was his demise.
C'mon man. Not all non-save situations are created equal. Are you seriously suggesting that Familia's problem last night was inability to focus?

I will say this slowly and loudly. EVERY MANAGER IN BASEBALL GOES TO FAMILIA IN THAT SITUATION. That's what you do in the ninth inning of a tie game at home - you go to your closer. The ONLY possible exception is if you have a dominant, rested #2 starter like Cueto available, which the Mets don't.

Yes, the Mets had plenty of fresh arms available - none of which are as good as Familia. You go with your best in that situation. You say you want to extend the game - how else are you going to do it?

In the Jays - O's game, which was an entirely different situation with the O's on the road, Showalter was criticized loudly for not using his closer. Can you imagine the criticism had Collins not used his closer at home?

Lastly, it's not like Familia was terrible prior to the homer. He gave up a leadoff double on what appeared to be a pretty good pitch but better hitting. He struck out the next guy, then gave up a walk in a situation where the walk is not fatal (open base). Maybe some managers would have lifted Familia there but I don't think most would have. A case could be made for Blevins, although I don't know what righties Bochy had on the bench.

I get it but the 4th inning they made him work. 21 pitches in three innings I think was too aggressive.

You can call me Kreskin.
I can call you a lot of things, but Kreskin is pretty low on the list. I'll say this,it was a classic playoff pitched game and we got beat by what has now become the greatest post season pitcher ever. The organization is headed in the right direction and over came a lot to get to this game. Turn on MLB, ESPN, and read out of town papers, they all were amazed the Mets even got to this game. PS. I was there, the excitement and atmosphere was like the Louisville game. I guess being a Mets, Rutgers,Rangers and Jets fan{which I'm not} is a tough thing to be.Met my son in the city, had dinner, and watched a great game with him. I wouldn't have traded it in for anything,say you know, NOT getting to the game at all.

-------------
I will tell you, I don't watch the majority of the Met games, but I could not stand Familia coming in as the closer..... at least from mid season on..... Yes, he had a lot of consecutive saves, but I just don't think he looked good, or dominant doing it.

It seemed, if the other team was patient, he would walk himself into trouble, and then when he had to put it over with men on base, he got dinged

there were a lot of games he would come in with a lead, get himself in trouble, and maybe work out of it..... some saves seemed fortunate, and he made it much harder on the team

When they brought him in for the ninth, it did not shock me that he would give up runs.... I know this goes contrary to
popular opinion, but I would rather have someone else.
Familia blew the WS last year and the playoff game the year. He is another Benitez? Hard to avoid that question this off season.

Just here to make fun of you Mets fans one more time:

Playoff games won in 2016:
Mets = 0
Yanks = 0

Good luck with Generation K 2.0 next season!
I see you stayed away until they lost. Very impressive and shows the character that has endeared all of us to you. Your season ended basically 3 1/2 weeks ago when you got sweep by the BoSox. The Mets keep us in it, and for that,we are grateful. I would bet, there won't be another season with this many obstacles to overcome any time soon.Great year,no,good year with plenty to look forward to, without a doubt.

Familia blew the WS last year and the playoff game the year. He is another Benitez? Hard to avoid that question this off season.
Well now, that is a first for you. It's something so many Mets fans were thinking on the walk to the LIRR last night. He's blown 4 straight playoff save opportunities, and that has to have gotten into his head, and poses a problem going forward. I'm betting on there being a couple more chances for him in the next couple of years, but I'll have to check in with "Keskin" before I mail that one in. Lol.

I see you stayed away until they lost. Very impressive and shows the character that has endeared all of us to you. Your season ended basically 3 1/2 weeks ago when you got sweep by the BoSox. The Mets keep us in it, and for that,we are grateful. I would bet, there won't be another season with this many obstacles to overcome any time soon.Great year,no,good year with plenty to look forward to, without a doubt.
Can only imagine who you are talking to, but have a good guess. It's a lot easier to tune a-holes out here by using the ignore button, Makes reading these forums (not just this thread) a much more enjoyable experience.

I've never really been a Collins fan but he did something right to get this far. The Mets lineup for the WC game was pretty bad...

I never would have thought they could make the post season if you told me they would lose Wright, Harvey, DeGrom, Matz, Walker, Lagares, and Duda...and d'Arnaud would have the year he did, Wheeler never came back, and Cespedes and Cabrera were fighting injuries in the second half of the season. I've got admit, he did a nice job of piecing it together.

If they keep Cespedes, 2017 could be a very good year.

C'mon man. Not all non-save situations are created equal. Are you seriously suggesting that Familia's problem last night was inability to focus?

I will say this slowly and loudly. EVERY MANAGER IN BASEBALL GOES TO FAMILIA IN THAT SITUATION. That's what you do in the ninth inning of a tie game at home - you go to your closer. The ONLY possible exception is if you have a dominant, rested #2 starter like Cueto available, which the Mets don't.

Yes, the Mets had plenty of fresh arms available - none of which are as good as Familia. You go with your best in that situation. You say you want to extend the game - how else are you going to do it?

In the Jays - O's game, which was an entirely different situation with the O's on the road, Showalter was criticized loudly for not using his closer. Can you imagine the criticism had Collins not used his closer at home?

Lastly, it's not like Familia was terrible prior to the homer. He gave up a leadoff double on what appeared to be a pretty good pitch but better hitting. He struck out the next guy, then gave up a walk in a situation where the walk is not fatal (open base). Maybe some managers would have lifted Familia there but I don't think most would have. A case could be made for Blevins, although I don't know what righties Bochy had on the bench.
Familia fails in that situation regularly. Closers often do. Even Mariano struggled with it. He was so wild his catcher had no idea where the ball was going.

OK... WHO STAYS, WHO GOES IN 2017*?

*Thats if everyone is HEALTHY and ready to go in Spring Training. And we all know theres already 2, 3 players who will still have issues by then.

----
Sorry, there is something about him coming in now with the game on the line.... The manager has a lot more faith in him than I do... He is just not good out there ..

my non expert opinion is that he cannot throw strikes ..... He gets strikes if the batter goes after it early

I would sit back as a batter and let him work himself into trouble before he first swing.

When he came in I said there goes the game.

----
Sorry, there is something about him coming in now with the game on the line.... The manager has a lot more faith in him than I do... He is just not good out there ..

my non expert opinion is that he cannot throw strikes ..... He gets strikes if the batter goes after it early

I would sit back as a batter and let him work himself into trouble before he first swing.

When he came in I said there goes the game.
My sixth sense before the game was that Familia was going to blow the game, but I have no problems with the decision to put him in. Agree with Doctor Worm, and his analysis is on point.

Reactions: tico brown
While im not too broken up over the loss given what the team went through this season i do think the Mets should consider trading Familia. He's now shown himself to not be a big game pitcher. Walks outof the pen just kill you. Maybe consider doing what Atlanta did with Smoltz and make one of your starter the closer. That or Reed who actually was more consistent this season.

No issue with Familia there.
You don't go 162 games doing 1 thing and then switch it up in a wildcard game.

But it will be one of the 2 big questions of the offseason(how much do you pay Yoenis being the other).

Yankee fan, come in peace.

From what I can see from the Mets fans I am friends with, a lot of fans thought after last year, that a return trip to the WS was pre-ordained. But over 162 games, shit happens, and you had injuries that were difficult to overcome. Your team made a hell of a run, congrats, and best of luck next year.

Familia fails in that situation regularly. Closers often do. Even Mariano struggled with it. He was so wild his catcher had no idea where the ball was going.
Mariano was known as the Sandman, the ultimate closer, he's in the game is won. Familia is developing a rep of blowing big games in big spots. Rivera and Familia could not be any more dissimilar.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
ADVERTISEMENT