ADVERTISEMENT

Let's go METS 2016 thread ......Just get in and anything can happen!

No level-headed Mets fan can look at the schedule they closed with and not call it easy. Though, to be fair, there were plenty of Padres, Rockies and D-Backs down the stretch for the Giants too. But I'm not going to diminish the season the Mets had because of who they played in the last 19 games of a 162 game season. Through all of the highs and lows this year, they battled through debilitating injuries that weakened the lineup and decimated the rotation. Most who were healthy struggled to play to the back of their baseball cards for much of the year. Yet they somehow found a way to make things interesting in the postseason, if only for a few hours. While disappointing, I'm not going to look back at '16 as a disaster.

Another thing to factor in is the "good" bad team factor. It sounds ridiculous, but it means having the misfortune to run into a team that's competitive and playing hard down the stretch, despite having a bad record with nothing to play for. I would put the Braves, Rockies and Brewers in that category this year.

No level-headed Mets fan can look at the schedule they closed with and not call it easy. Though, to be fair, there were plenty of Padres, Rockies and D-Backs down the stretch for the Giants too. But I'm not going to diminish the season the Mets had because of who they played in the last 19 games of a 162 game season. Through all of the highs and lows this year, they battled through debilitating injuries that weakened the lineup and decimated the rotation. Most who were healthy struggled to play to the back of their baseball cards for much of the year. Yet they somehow found a way to make things interesting in the postseason, if only for a few hours. While disappointing, I'm not going to look back at '16 as a disaster.
Yeah but you can't take the opportunities for granted. The sports world is littered with teams and players that thought they'd always get another chance at a championship and could not get there. Take your 80s Mets - the dynasty that never was - lucky for them they eeked out the one magic ride at least.

Reactions: tico brown
As well you shouldn't. You may have found two more starting pitchers through all the injuries.

Reactions: ntlrock1
I never said that the Mets had a tough schedule last two months of the year or claimed that they were facing the 27 Yankees, 76 Reds, or the 1919 Black Sox. But it is ALWAYS interesting when they did play the Braves, Marlins, and Phillies, no matter what either team's records are. Look at 2007, 2008, 2009.

All I know if the Yankees made it to the playoffs with the Scraton Wilkes-Barre rotation, there wouldve been a Movie of the Week on the YES Network along with the commemorative blades of grass being sold as well.

Yeah but you can't take the opportunities for granted. The sports world is littered with teams and players that thought they'd always get another chance at a championship and could not get there. Take your 80s Mets - the dynasty that never was - lucky for them they eeked out the one magic ride at least.
If they had the Wild Card back then, those Mets teams would have had several more chances. The Yankees under Pinella too. I always wondered how things would have gone for those teams under the present format.

Reactions: ntlrock1
If they had the Wild Card back then, those Mets teams would have had several more chances. The Yankees under Pinella too. I always wondered how things would have gone for those teams under the present format.
Those Yankee teams of that era would have flamed out in the playoffs for the same reason they couldn't get there in the first place. No pitching. I'll never forget the 43 year old Phil Niekro leading the Yank rotation back then. Pretty sad. Damn they could score some runs though.

Those Yankee teams of that era would have flamed out in the playoffs for the same reason they couldn't get there in the first place. No pitching. I'll never forget the 43 year old Phil Niekro leading the Yank rotation back then. Pretty sad. Damn they could score some runs though.
Very true, but they may have made it there at least. The Mets teams would have done some damage. I remember Lupica writing a column saying that Steinbrenner thinks that because he gives guys like Hawkins and LaPointe tons of money they will become 20-game winners and then he becomes disappointed when they perform to the level that they are: .500 pitchers.

And THAT is the only reason the mets finished the season with more wins than the Yankees.
And the only reason they won a wild-card spot.
TRUTH.
And of course, absolutely no credit what so ever for over coming losing 3 or their 5 starting pitchers, and their 3b, 2b and 1b, lol, unreal. But you know what, even with the 3A pitchers they finished the season with, their way better than anything your team has, unless you trade away all those "prospects" like you always do. Bottom line, you chirped all year about the Yankees being better when most of the time it was 1 game in the loss column, you know 1/2 game. Now with a triple A lineup, the Mets managed to finish 3 games better even though the last game of the year they played no starters for more than a couple of innings rto get ready for the WC game. Your Yankees have a pay role that is an embarrassment of riches, and you've done nothing with it. You mention the Bad News Braves, yup, they finished the last 70 games with the same record as the Yankees, the yankees who were fighting for their playoff lives, and the Braves who were playing loose, with no pressure.
LMAO.

Not to be confused with the 43 year old Bartolo Colon.

Classy. Indicative of your fan base no doubt, king of witty replies.

No way he is indicative of Giants fan base. I have been a life long SF Giants fan (it's a family thing). If you've ever been to a game at AT&T park, you see the respect for opposing fans (last time I was there the Mets beat us both games I went too - never a problem.)

If it wasn't the Giants, I would be rooting for the Mets - as a lot of Giant fans would have. Especially against the Dodgers...who yes, we treat with disrespect - that will never change, nor should it.

It was a great game, we are lucky that Madbum is an animal and prevented us from having to go to our bullpen.

Reactions: tico brown
The season is over, the Mets had a pretty decent year, all things considered.The dead beat Yankee fans on here I think I'm done with. They are like a car wreck, and sadly I'll admit, sometimes I slow down to look at a car wreck.Lets go Cubs, and hopefully the most powerful division in baseball, so the car wrecks say,don't get any of the 3 into the World Series, just like last year,lol.

But you said he choked. I showed you he didnt.

Where did I say anyone choked ?
I merely brought up the 43 year old Colon when someone mentioned the Yankees staff back when it was led by the 43 year old Phil Niekro...as if that was a bad thing.
Where did I say that Bartolo Colon had anything but a fine year pitching for the mets ?

Even though the Mets are out of the playoffs, this is still a great playoff season with great stories:
-Cubs trying to end their 1908 drought.
-Giants trying to claim their fourth title of the century (and decade).
-Nationals trying to win their first.
-Dodgers trying to win one for Vin Scully
-Red Sox trying to win one for Big Papi (and their fourth of the century).
-Indians trying to end their 1954 drought (and top LeBron).
-Toronto trying to win one for Canada.
-Texas trying to win their first.

Everyone has to be rooting for the Cubs to finally get their World Series championship.
I personally just hope it doesn't end up with Andrew Miller dueling Aroldis Chapman in a deciding game of the World Series.

Everyone has to be rooting for the Cubs to finally get their World Series championship.
I personally just hope it doesn't end up with Andrew Miller dueling Aroldis Chapman in a deciding game of the World Series.
That would mean 1908 vs 1954 (or whatever) so that would be THE story most want. FOX would moist their ynderwear if that happens.

But theres some good stories out there this year. I just want to watch good baseball and I will this post season. Then Ill worry about Year 31 (which I dont need your help to pund i to my head BTW lol).

No way he is indicative of Giants fan base. I have been a life long SF Giants fan (it's a family thing). If you've ever been to a game at AT&T park, you see the respect for opposing fans (last time I was there the Mets beat us both games I went too - never a problem.)

If it wasn't the Giants, I would be rooting for the Mets - as a lot of Giant fans would have. Especially against the Dodgers...who yes, we treat with disrespect - that will never change, nor should it.

It was a great game, we are lucky that Madbum is an animal and prevented us from having to go to our bullpen.

Settle down there buddy he is a Yankee fan who changed his avatar to be a jerk. Wasn't talking about the Giants and their fan bases And I live in SF and went to all the games this year, and just like any other team there are annoying, jerk fans.

Settle down there buddy he is a Yankee fan who changed his avatar to be a jerk. Wasn't talking about the Giants and their fan bases And I live in SF and went to all the games this year, and just like any other team there are annoying, jerk fans.

Sorry if I misread, I just don't understand the antagonism. There are annoying, jerk fans - but after going to games all around the country I would have to say that the Giants fans are pretty damn nice compared to most. Am I biased?... probably - but I call them as I see them.

The season is over, the Mets had a pretty decent year, all things considered.The dead beat Yankee fans on here I think I'm done with. They are like a car wreck, and sadly I'll admit, sometimes I slow down to look at a car wreck.Lets go Cubs, and hopefully the most powerful division in baseball, so the car wrecks say,don't get any of the 3 into the World Series, just like last year,lol.

Bro you can't root for the Cubs!! As a Mets fan, they're an old NL rival of sorts.

Plus it's kind of absolutely hilarious that there is a franchise out there as pathetic as the Cubs...108 miserable years. That's funny sh*t right there.

Their knob has been shlobbed plenty already this season, it's pretty sickening. Maybe it goes against the RU/Knicks fan in me, but I'll never ever root for the Chicago Cubs

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT