ADVERTISEMENT

Let's go METS 2016 thread ......Just get in and anything can happen!

Not saying that I don't worry about Familia in certain spots, but I've always thought people have overblown his struggles in big games. This guy gave up ONE earned run in the postseason last year. He didn't allow a single base-runner against LA, saved 3 games against CHC and gave up 3 hits in 5+ innings against KC, in which he was hurt by shoddy infield defense.

This guy is going to make you sweat, but games like last night and Game 1 of the WS are the anomaly.

Chapman and Melancon are both better than Familia. Probably Jansen, too. And that's just the NL.

Melancon has been a bit shaky since coming over from Pittsburgh. I am a bit worried about him in a big spot. That said, having to have watched Storen, Papelbon, etc as the back end of my bullpen has been painful. Only Clippard has been better than decent since we got good. For a team that has won 95 games three of the last five seasons the Nats bullpen has been the biggest weakness.

Hoping Kershaw-Scherzer is as good as last nights game.

Congrats to Mets fans on a good, fun year.

Mariano was known as the Sandman, the ultimate closer, he's in the game is won. Familia is developing a rep of blowing big games in big spots. Rivera and Familia could not be any more dissimilar.

Please stop.
Familia is a very good closer and has been a big part of the mets getting as far as they got this season.
But Mariano Rivera was the greatest closer of all time....for 15 years....with FIVE World Series championships. Not fair to Familia to compare him to Mariano.

Mariano was known as the Sandman, the ultimate closer, he's in the game is won. Familia is developing a rep of blowing big games in big spots. Rivera and Familia could not be any more dissimilar.

This is just untrue. Bc speaking in absolutes is always wise...see what I did there? of course TKplus agreed with your post because he's a clown

Even Mariano faltered in big spots, in the playoffs. Rarely. But he did. He was also WAY more vulnerable in Non Save Situations. Which is what Familia came into last night(NSS). Google is your friend. Go figure it out. Or continue to think the guy never blew a save....

Not saying that I don't worry about Familia in certain spots, but I've always thought people have overblown his struggles in big games. This guy gave up ONE earned run in the postseason last year. He didn't allow a single base-runner against LA, saved 3 games against CHC and gave up 3 hits in 5+ innings against KC, in which he was hurt by shoddy infield defense.

This guy is going to make you sweat, but games like last night and Game 1 of the WS are the anomaly.

Thank you. Someone with rational thinking

Please stop.
Familia is a very good closer and has been a big part of the mets getting as far as they got this season.
But Mariano Rivera was the greatest closer of all time....for 15 years....with FIVE World Series championships. Not fair to Familia to compare him to Mariano.
Jeezus Christ I actually agree with this lol... other than Game 7 vs Arizona.

Please stop.
Not fair to compare anyone to Mariano.

Reactions: Kbee3 and ntlrock1
They are hiding under a rock because their great and all powerful AL East has only one, yes I say, only one team playing over .500 baseball. Sure it's early, but even in this over rated division, the Stankees are dead last, and the Phillies,who some of the 'experts' on here called one of the 2 worst in ALL of baseball, would be in 3rd in the great ALEast.

Yikes. How wrong can one guy be ?

Funny and true story from last night. Coming up the escalator from NJ Transit to meet my son, a bunch of us had on Mets gear, and some old worn out looking dude yells out Mets suck, hope they lose.Someone throws a half filled water bottle and nails him right in the back of his coconut. Should have heard the roar,lol, I just wish we had more to roar about at Citi Field. I immediately wondered if he was one of the 4 Amigos that visit this thread,but then I realized that 2 were still working at 7-11, another had to get up early to finish his paper route, and the last one was told by his Mommy that he couldn't stay out past 10:00pm.

Funny and true story from last night. Coming up the escalator from NJ Transit to meet my son, a bunch of us had on Mets gear, and some old worn out looking dude yells out Mets suck, hope they lose.Someone throws a half filled water bottle and nails him right in the back of his coconut. Should have heard the roar,lol, I just wish we had more to roar about at Citi Field.

You actually met Kbee?!

OK... WHO STAYS, WHO GOES IN 2017*?

*Thats if everyone is HEALTHY and ready to go in Spring Training. And we all know theres already 2, 3 players who will still have issues by then.
Here's my two cents - what I think WILL happen, not necessarily what I think SHOULD happen:

STAYS:
All the core pitchers EXCEPT Colon.
Bruce - they pick up his option, but he could be traded pre-season or in-season.
Granderson, Reyes, Cabrera, Duda, all the other young guys still under team control.

GOES:
Cespedes - Mets weren't willing to go long-term with him last year, and I don't think anything has changed in that regard. If he gets the long-term deal he wants he is gone.
Colon - He wants to be a starter and compile enough wins to pass Marichal. Mets cannot guarantee him a starting role. Somebody else will.
Walker - Didn't make any friends in the Mets hierarchy by checking out in September.
Loney - With sincere thanks for his service. No room for two lefthanded first basemen on a 25 man roster.

Here's my two cents - what I think WILL happen, not necessarily what I think SHOULD happen:

STAYS:
Bruce - they pick up his option, but he could be traded pre-season or in-season.
Granderson, Reyes, Cabrera, Duda, all the other young guys still under team control.

GOES:
Cespedes - Mets weren't willing to go long-term with him last year, and I don't think anything has changed in that regard. If he gets the long-term deal he wants he is gone.
Colon - He wants to be a starter and compile enough wins to pass Marichal. Mets cannot guarantee him a starting role. Somebody else will.
Walker - Didn't make any friends in the Mets hierarchy by checking out in September.
Loney - With sincere thanks for his service. No room for two lefthanded first basemen on a 25 man roster.
This seems accurate, but I bet Cespedes stays. I think both sides need each other at this point. The reason he was here this year is that he couldn't get a long-term deal elsewhere and I don't think that changes this offseason. I'm not sure I understand the comment about Walker. Are you saying he could have played through his injury?

STAYS:

GOES:
Walker only had a disk injury causing numbness in his feet. Was told he could do significant harm if he kept playing. Yea, you play through that.

It was well documented that the Mets' doctors believed that Walker would not exacerbate his injury by playing through it. Walker and his personal doctor disagreed and he had the surgery without the Mets' blessing. I am not in any way suggesting what he should or should not have done.

It was well documented that the Mets' doctors believed that Walker would not exacerbate his injury by playing through it. Walker and his personal doctor disagreed and he had the surgery without the Mets' blessing. I am not in any way suggesting what he should or should not have done.
Maybe, but how effective would he have been offensively and defensively?

Maybe, but how effective would he have been offensively and defensively?
No idea, but that's not my point. My point is that on August 31, the Mets announced that according to their doctors, Walker could postpone surgery until after the season and therefore he would remain on the active roster. And then the very next day, with much egg on their face, they announced that Walker went ahead and scheduled the surgery anyway.

I have been a Mets fan since the beginning and have seen management come and go. But if there is one common thread among Mets management through the years, it's that they don't like egg on their face. Think Jack Woltz in the Godfather, "A man in my position can't afford to be made to look ridiculous".

And that is why IMHO, there is no chance in hell that Walker is coming back. We shall see.

Yanks easily have the better prospects than the Mets.

And it figures a Mets fan would hurl an object at someone instead of thinking of something witty to reply with.

A dreadful fanbase that deserved the shutout last night.
/season over

Last edited:
Reactions: Kbee3
No idea, but that's not my point. My point is that on August 31, the Mets announced that according to their doctors, Walker could postpone surgery until after the season and therefore he would remain on the active roster. And then the very next day, with much egg on their face, they announced that Walker went ahead and scheduled the surgery anyway.

I have been a Mets fan since the beginning and have seen management come and go. But if there is one common thread among Mets management through the years, it's that they don't like egg on their face. Think Jack Woltz in the Godfather, "A man in my position can't afford to be made to look ridiculous".

And that is why IMHO, there is no chance in hell that Walker is coming back. We shall see.
Yeah, but that seems to have been a common thread with management and injuries this year and in recent years. A lot of miscommunication from them to the press and to the manager.

Reactions: ntlrock1

Lmao!! Anything starting with "the Mets doctors said..." IMMEDIATELY should be taken with a grain of salt. We know this. They haven't deserved the benefit of the doubt in quite some time.

Management comes and goes. Common denominator here is the Wilponzis. Thy are absolutely horrible, and quite frankly they're a joke. They've slid under the radar here amidst back to back successful seasons, but their stench is always lurking..

These idiots should've been forced to sell 5 years ago. If they let Cespedes walk, a player who actually GENERATES $$$...

...nah not even they're that dumb

And it figures a Mets fan would hurl an object at someone instead of thinking of something witty to reply with.

/season over
lol u really changed your avatar to a giants logo, just to piss off mets fans. You're a no life loser troll.

The reason he was here this year is that he couldn't get a long-term deal elsewhere and I don't think that changes this offseason.

Huh.....I wonder why he couldn't get a long-term deal elsewhere ?

/season over
Classy. Indicative of your fan base no doubt, king of witty replies.

It is also well documented that with all the misdiagnosis with numerous injuries in the last decade that the Mets doctors and trainers wouldnt know the difference between a tailbone and a stick up their ass.

Blame Murphy and Duda for the G4 and G5 losses (throw in the abysmal Clippard while we are at it). Just have a problem with the Gordon HR and last night's jack, but this team's got bigger worries than Familia (i.e. getting SPs back, and another bat or two).

Last edited:
TBH I don't know if Familia is slumping, more so than the law of averages is catching up to him. His WHIP of 1.36 is unimpressive to say the least. That input is incongruous with an output of 36 saves in 36 opportunities. He has managed to escape more jams than he had a right to, and had some good fortune along the way. Today his luck was all bad. It evens out.

Wow...so prophetic...back in July.

I agree with you, last night was ugly but he's still much better than the average closer and one of the last things for the team to worry about.

Truth ?
So the mets DON'T have 19 of 25 remaining games vs. teams with losing records ?
And that DOESN'T make their path to the playoffs easier than any other team's ?

BTW, the Yankees have a Big Boy schedule...20 of 27 games left vs. teams with winning records.

And THAT is the only reason the mets finished the season with more wins than the Yankees.
And the only reason they won a wild-card spot.
TRUTH.

The Mets played .555 ball against teams with losing records this year and finished with a .537 winning percentage overall. They didn't exactly fatten up on the dregs of the NL. That is a difference of 2 wins when expanded out over the length of a 162-game season.

The Mets played .555 ball against teams with losing records this year and finished with a .537 winning percentage overall. They didn't exactly fatten up on the dregs of the NL. That is a difference of 2 wins when expanded out over the length of a 162-game season.

I don't think I ever said anything about "fattening up on the dregs". Christ, the mets recently got swept at home by the bad news Braves. What I was amazed by and irked many mets fans here by pointing out was the mets incredibly easy schedule down the stretch. I guess you can fool yourself into believing that it's much ado about nothing if you ignore the fact that it matters when you play a particular team. And that teams fighting to make the playoffs and continue their season are much more formidable opponents than teams that are eliminated from contention and just playing out the string.
How anyone could think that it isn't much more desirable to play your last 19 games down the stretch vs. teams that stink and have already been eliminated than to have to face playoff-bound Baltimore, Toronto, and Boston is kinda hard to figure. Unless you're a mets fan who doesn't wanna admit their good fortune and are too cheap to send that Thank You gift to the schedule-maker.
Anyway....all it really meant was that my team started playing golf a few days before the mets.

I don't think I ever said anything about "fattening up on the dregs". Christ, the mets recently got swept at home by the bad news Braves. What I was amazed by and irked many mets fans here by pointing out was the mets incredibly easy schedule down the stretch. I guess you can fool yourself into believing that it's much ado about nothing if you ignore the fact that it matters when you play a particular team. And that teams fighting to make the playoffs and continue their season are much more formidable opponents than teams that are eliminated from contention and just playing out the string.
How anyone could think that it isn't much more desirable to play your last 19 games down the stretch vs. teams that stink and have already been eliminated than to have to face playoff-bound Baltimore, Toronto, and Boston is kinda hard to figure. Unless you're a mets fan who doesn't wanna admit their good fortune and are too cheap to send that Thank You gift to the schedule-maker.
Anyway....all it really meant was that my team started playing golf a few days before the mets.

Since all 162 games count in the standings, the composite records of teams Mets and Yankees played were close. Translated to a 162 game schedule teams Yankees played were 82-80 while the teams the Mets played were 80-82. Not exactly an earth shattering difference.

Reactions: tico brown
Since all 162 games count in the standings, the composite records of teams Mets and Yankees played were close. Translated to a 162 game schedule teams Yankees played were 82-80 while the teams the Mets played were 80-82. Not exactly an earth shattering difference.
He just keeps moving the goalposts. Before it was, the Yankees are better because they have a better overall record. Now that they finished 3 games behind the Mets, it's changed to something else. Pathetic.

He just keeps moving the goalposts. Before it was, the Yankees are better because they have a better overall record. Now that they finished 3 games behind the Mets, it's changed to something else. Pathetic.

The Yankees wouldve had a better record tham the Mets if they werent:
1-2 vs Arizona
1-3 vs Colorado
1-2 vs San Diego

Reactions: redking
ADVERTISEMENT