ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball LIVE GAME THREAD: Rutgers vs. Stephen F. Austin

Up by 10 with under 5 left... we gonna make this easy or gonna make this hard?

Young 3 FT misses in crunch time in a row, have to keep that in mind in conf play, keep him off the floor at the endp

Reactions: Scangg
I've said it before and I'll say it again: too many of our teams don't play for the kill from minute 1, play down to their opponents, and don’t step on throats late. I wish SOMEONE would listen to me and get our athletic department a shrink.

Yeboah’s best game. Interior D and rebounding and boxing out needs lots of work. Mathis and Harper disappeared in 2nd half again. Still nice effort.

Reactions: AD888
Late in the game why is Rutgers shooting 3? SFA is going to foul, so take it inside. Rutgers is making it easy for SFA to defend.

Reactions: JQRU91
I've said it before and I'll say it again: too many of our teams don't play for the kill from minute 1, play down to their opponents, and don’t step on throats late. I wish SOMEONE would listen to me and get our athletic department a shrink.
Or fund 1 for me..

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Good win. Still need to show a full effort for 40 minutes eventually.

On a positive note, we just beat a team by 12 (we were favored by 14), 69-57 that averaged 88 points coming into this game. We also hit our threes, which we couldn't do against the Bonnies.

But once again on a down note is that we have to hit our damn FT's. It is inexcusable to hit less than 65% (We shot 61%). I can't believe I even said that, but that's how bad we are. Personally, we should be hitting closer to 70%. Sadly this will cost us games down the road when we have to win a game at the FT line. We shot 17-28 from the charity stripe. We left 11 points there. Eleven! That is inexcusable. We have to do better. Think about it. If we had made just three more FT's we shoot 70% and beat this team by 15. I could live with 70%.

Last edited:
On a positive note, we just beat a team by 12 (we were favored by 14), 69-57 that averaged 88 points coming into this game. We also hit our threes, which we couldn't do against the Bonnies.

But once again on a down note is that we have to hit our damn FT's. It is inexcusable to hit less than 65%. I can't believe I even said that, but that's how bad we are. Personally, we should be hitting closer to 70%. Sadly this will cost us games down the road when we have to win a game at the FT line.

Westgate went off at -11.5........ go figure...

W against a decent team that wasn't down to the last basket. I'll gladly take it.

Westgate went off at -11.5........ go figure...
Touche. But still, we shot 61% from the FT line. If we shot 70% we win by 15. I realize that's only three more points, but when we play top teams that extra three points could be the difference between a win and loss.

But once again on a down note is that we have to hit our damn FT's. It is inexcusable to hit less than 65%. I can't believe I even said that, but that's how bad we are. Personally, we should be hitting closer to 70%. Sadly this will cost us games down the road when we have to win a game at the FT line.
You have to separate players when it comes to free throws. Johnson is not great and he was 1-5 tonight. Young who is a career 77% free throw shooter, but has struggled so far this year. Tonight he was 3-5. Mathis is another guy who struggles. He wasn't too bad considering he only was 1-2 tonight. The rest of the team was 12-16 (75%) which has been the case for the season so far.

You have to separate players when it comes to free throws. Johnson is not great and he was 1-5 tonight. Young who is a career 77% free throw shooter, but has struggled so far this year. Tonight he was 3-5. Mathis is another guy who struggles. He wasn't too bad considering he only was 1-2 tonight. The rest of the team was 12-16 (75%) which has been the case for the season so far.
Yes, you're right, but I look at it as a whole. We need to shoot at least 70% on average from everyone.

Myles Mathis and Young are guys who can't be on the floor late with teams fouling at this point. Can't trust them at the line at all right now

There are definitely a some weak spots that need to be shored up.

Free throws:
Harper - 11/20
Young - 11/19
Johnson - 7/15
Harper/Young/Johnson - 29/54 (.537)
Rest of the team - 52/69 (.754)

Harper was a much better FT shooter last year, so he should hopefully right the ship. Not sure on the other two.

Three pointers:
Baker - 8/30
Young - 2/10
Kiss - 0/3
Baker/Young/Kiss - 10/43 (.233)
Rest of the team - 21/59 (.356)

Baker is better than a .267 shooter, so he should also right the ship. Don't expect Kiss to see a lot of minutes, and not sure about Young.

Reactions: MV9000
There are definitely a some weak spots that need to be shored up.

Free throws:
Harper - 11/20
Young - 11/19
Johnson - 7/15
Harper/Young/Johnson - 29/54 (.537)
Rest of the team - 52/69 (.754)

Harper was a much better FT shooter last year, so he should hopefully right the ship. Not sure on the other two.

Three pointers:
Baker - 8/30
Young - 2/10
Kiss - 0/3
Baker/Young/Kiss - 10/43 (.233)
Rest of the team - 21/59 (.356)

Baker is better than a .267 shooter, so he should also right the ship. Don't expect Kiss to see a lot of minutes, and not sure about Young.
Young shoot 77% from the free throw line at Texas. Don't know what is going with him right now.

Young shoot 77% from the free throw line at Texas. Don't know what is going with him right now.

Young didn't shoot enough FTs at Texas for me to form an opinion on that. 11/14 as a freshman, 15/22 as a sophomore... but over 30+ games each season. In 43 of 63 games he didn't make a single attempt, and he had just one attempt in 7 others.

He's 11/19 right now after just 5 games, which puts him at a career 37/55 (.673)

Young didn't shoot enough FTs at Texas for me to form an opinion on that. 11/14 as a freshman, 15/22 as a sophomore... but over 30+ games each season. In 43 of 63 games he didn't make a single attempt, and he had just one attempt in 7 others.

He's 11/19 right now after just 5 games, which puts him at a career 37/55 (.673)
Young has a larger sample size at Texas than he does at Rutgers. You're ready to bury Young based on 5 games at Rutgers, but at the same time dismiss what he did in more games at Texas.

It shouldn't be about Young's lack of attempts at the ling, but be about what he does when he gets there. Young does need to step up because he will be in a position to go to the line more at Rutgers.

Young has a larger sample size at Texas than he does at Rutgers. You're ready to bury Young based on 5 games at Rutgers, but at the same time dismiss what he did in more games at Texas.

It shouldn't be about Young's lack of attempts at the ling, but be about what he does when he gets there. Young does need to step up because he will be in a position to go to the line more at Rutgers.

Nothing to do with Young with his analysis. He is just applying statistic concepts. The confidence level is extremely low based on sample size for his FTs at Texas.

Not ready to bury anyone - just that I'm not ready to draw conclusions on his FT% based on such a small sample size. As a freshman, he was 2 missed FTs away from 64% and two made FTs away from 93%. Weren't you the one in the game thread the other day warning about drawing conclusions from small sample sizes?

At this point, Young may end up being an 80% shooter or a 65% shooter from the line. Time will tell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT