ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like a team that’s been reading too many press clippings

gmay8

Senior
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
This team has been reading about possibly making the tourney and being a potential top half of the BIG team. They came out tonight like they thought they could just show up and win.

Also, too much depth is sometimes a bad thing. The old saying if you have two of something you don’t really have one.
Team looked too disjointed. No flow. We should pick our best 8 and play them.

Also, Harper was very disappointing. Everyone talking about a breakout for him, I didn’t see it.

This exactly. The fun thing about us was the team always played with a chip on their shoulder and we were the underdog. Tonight they played like they were supposed to be this amazing team and just show up and win. Disgrace. Have to play with the chip again p

Oh. My. God! The sky is falling for some people!

First game. We won. I’m sure Pike will use some of their sloppy play as motivation. Especially 3 point D.

I agree with those that said we were sloppy. Again, first game. It’ll clean up...

NEXT!

Best possible game, and result you could hope for if Coaching. Europe did give them all big heads. Tonight was a dose of reality...Will help them going forward...Coach needs to stick with a lineup longer...

Agreed OP. Playing too many guys is a problem, it kills ant flow you can develop. Mathis is so bad in the half court but in transition he is very very good

Reactions: bac2therac
Oh. My. God! The sky is falling for some people!

First game. We won. I’m sure Pike will use some of their sloppy play as motivation. Especially 3 point D.

I agree with those that said we were sloppy. Again, first game. It’ll clean up...

NEXT!
Won because Bryant missed a 3 to win it. Too close for comfort against a lesser opponent at home.

#StruggleWin builds character.
Exactly. Didn't like it being that close, but liked that we struggled and the players realize they can't just mail it in against well-coached, disciplined teams, even if they're not as big and athletic as we are. Need to learn to put teams away. Also, if we shot even half decently, we win that game by 15. Shooting will get better and if it doesn't, it'll be a long season.

Loved our defensive intensity for the first 30 minutes of the game and liked that we shared the ball quite well (except for Young who needs to learn how to give the ball up on the break). Young is still a bit raw, but you can see the kid's talent. Also really liked Mulcahy's game and Yeboah looked pretty good too. Unfortunately our leaders, Geo and Harper, didn't shoot well (6-21 and Harper was 4-11 from the line), but I'm sure that will get better.

Also, anyone who says we don't miss Eugene is on crack.

No and Carter and Decource had limited minutes because Bryant had a small lineup.
To my untrained eye, when it comes to shooting, Kiss has the best “form” (mechanics) on the team. But he didn’t move off the bench last night despite the abysmal shooting and our small margin for error.

This team has been reading about possibly making the tourney and being a potential top half of the BIG team. They came out tonight like they thought they could just show up and win.

Also, too much depth is sometimes a bad thing. The old saying if you have two of something you don’t really have one.
It was the first game of the season. They are just Knocking off the rust. They will get better every game!

Agreed. Part of the adjustment falls on Pike too. He needs to learn how to substitute more smoothly with so many options. Part of the problem with the lack of flow was the uneven substitution patterns last night. It is a work in progress. I frankly thought we'd press more given this team's makeup. Maybe that was a bad fit against Bryant because of all of their very quick pipsqueak guards.

Let's play with a defense like we had last year in the first half. You can put some token pressure on the ball handler and play aggressive man to man in the half court. This should give us more energy to work the ball down low and watch Mulcahy find the slashers and back-door cutters.

Build a lead and then press to add on to it. We know we can play multiple defenses but last night we were not quite ready to go full tilt with the press and score enough on the offensive side. It's okay because we won the game and that's what matters. But it was too close for comfort and if that 3 ball goes in; we are all in a really bad mood today.

Let's play Rutgers basketball against Niagra and we win by 30 plus points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT