ADVERTISEMENT

Mack, Jack / Kone Gone...What Does Next Year's Team Look LIke?

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
Will the player who was not cleared by NCAA be able to play/ what does he bring?

Who replaces Mack: Daniels or the FLA jumping jack?

Who replaces Jack?

Does Etou have an offensive game... or should he just play "D"/ board like a motha?

Does Shaq become our center adding blocks, rebounds / short game scoring on the blocks?

Do we have any more room for new recruits...and who is targeted (more importantly- who is likely)?

MO

Mack: whoever passes more at will and is more of a natural point.I could even see Mike Williams playing point as his turnover rate is very low. Keeps possession, heady player.
Jack- Foreman of GL. GL might have trouble guarding faster 4s.
Sanders i think will be able to play. I expect a lot of athleticism, the ability to draw two guards, and a decent 3 point shot. How well he will pass is unknown.
Etou- gets a little bit more emphasis next year. Has to. Becomes a steady 10 ppg player.

How about steamy cow plop.....as far as playing skills....not personal traits. We need an overhaul from top to bottom.

While Mack and Jack had talents on paper/individually they had almost ZERO chemistry between each other OR the team.

I think we may be 1 or two wins better next year because the TEAM will have to play like one.

This post was edited on 3/9 12:31 PM by mikefla

probably another 2-4 wins in the B10 and maybe 10-13 overall. We are still in rebuilding mode. The only game changer would be if Eddie gets a Juco or transfer that can make an immediate impact.

Presuming everyone is qualified and back, here are 2 ways the depth chart could play out:

Option #1:

PG - C. Sanders, Daniels
2G - M. Williams, Goode, R. Johnson
WF - Etou, R. Johnson, K Johnson
PF - Foreman, Diallo
C - Lewis, Doorson

Option #2:

PG - C. Sanders, Daniels
2G - Daniels, Williams, Goode
WF - Etou, R. Jhnson, K. Johnson
PF - Diallo, Foreman
C - Lewis, Doorson

It is clear that a 5th year transfer GUARD, if available, would be extremely helpful.
This post was edited on 3/9 9:03 AM by jellyman

Originally posted by RUfinal4:
probably another 2-4 wins in the B10 and maybe 10-13 overall. We are still in rebuilding mode. The only game changer would be if Eddie gets a Juco or transfer that can make an immediate impact.
I like your optimism, but most of our Big Ten losses were no-doubt-about-it. You are asking a lot. Are you expecting the improvement from improved play (defending, foul shooting, cutting down on turnovers), better conditioning, and improved strategy (defending three's, better use of timeouts, and knowing how and when "to give" fouls)?

Originally posted by Mr_Twister:
Originally posted by RUfinal4:
I like your optimism, but most of our Big Ten losses were no-doubt-about-it. You are asking a lot. Are you expecting the improvement from improved play (defending, foul shooting, cutting down on turnovers), better conditioning, and improved strategy (defending three's, better use of timeouts, and knowing how and when "to give" fouls)?
I am predicting much of the same. We should be able to squeeze out a couple of wins vs. the other bottom feeders at home. Depending on injuries to the other team (Wisconsin game) and a game or 2 of lucky shooting (hitting a lot of 3's) we can squeeze out 1 or 2 more wins. We will be a bottom 3-4 team in the B10 next year but who is to say PSU, Northwestern, or Minny is not just as bad as we are.

well for one Penn State has a solid recruiting class coming in. Northwestern is no longer a true bottom feeder and have a legit shot for the NCAA next year. Minnesota has been competitive all year long in Pitinos first season and is 17-13.

the gulf between the other bottom feeding Big 10 schools and RU is pretty large right now. If some things bounce are way I suppose the team could get 4 league wins and maybe 9 non conference wins and max out at 13 but that's best case scenario..worst case they go 0 fer and 7 wins total.

This is way to early to look at until we see spring signees and if anyone leaves

Revisit in early May

This discussion proves to me that it won't matter if Eddie is the coach or a hot young guy because this team is a couple of classes away from being able to compete. Right now we are a midlevel AAC team or high level midmajor right now. In the Power conferences we are a bottom feeder.

This is where the Rice situation hurt us because we lost some talented guys and the replacements are not at the same level yet.

Then the coach is most important. Can Eddie attract that class, or maybe that young aggressive coach. Jordan's ability recruit is likely the most important issue with this program. The coach not mattering is way off.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by jellyman:
Presuming everyone is qualified and back, here are 2 ways the depth chart could play out:

Option #1:

PG - C. Sanders, Daniels
2G - M. Williams, Goode, R. Johnson
WF - Etou, R. Johnson, K Johnson
PF - Foreman, Diallo
C - Lewis, Doorson

Option #2:

PG - C. Sanders, Daniels
2G - Daniels, Williams, Goode
WF - Etou, R. Jhnson, K. Johnson
PF - Diallo, Foreman
C - Lewis, Doorson

It is clear that a 5th year transfer GUARD, if available, would be extremely helpful.
This post was edited on 3/9 9:03 AM by jellyman
Option #3 (especially OOC!!!)

PG Sanders, Daniels
2G Daniels, Goode, Williams
3G Williams, Johnsons
PF Etou, Foreman
C Lewis, Doorson

I realize without that 5th year guy option #3 almost mandates too many minutes for guards

The one player i am excited about is Ryan Johnson. I think if he spends time in the dining hall, he can be a interesting 2-3 guy. Has big ten length, needs big ten size.

Also, i don't see Daniels as really a backup point guard given his high turn over rate. I see Williams being a better pg than a 2 but who knows what EJ will do with him. Williams has a solid court awareness and a good handle and has shown to make some crafty passes. He has the lowest turnovers on the team i believe.

4-5 will be pretty interesting to watch. I think there's a lot of versatility you could have between foreman,lewis,diallo and doorson. I see Doorson as the obvious center, and foreman as the obvious power forward. Diallo and Lewis can be 4-5 swing mans.

Like shack said, still too early to tell. I am really banking on not more than 1 person leaving. If etou leaves i think that's a big rebound loss. Still though, i don't think he leaves. I don't see foreman or Williams leaving either. Just a good league with a lot of playing time. All depends though. My new quote these days for RU basketball is "who knows"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT