ADVERTISEMENT

Mag

RAC93

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2023
We all love Mag, his effort and how he has come back from injury. But, today he produced 2/2 on 1/6 shooting. If Cliff did that, we would kill him. Mag was bad today, so was Simpson and A Williams, three of them were a combined 4/19. Mag’s typical toughness was just nonexistent today.

We all love Mag, his effort and how he has come back from injury. But, today he produced 2/2 on 1/6 shooting. If Cliff did that, we would kill him. Mag was bad today, so was Simpson and A Williams, three of them were a combined 4/19. Mag’s typical toughness was just nonexistent today.
Clean house coming for next year. If Cliff decides to come back to be part of the Ace and Dylan year, he is probably only player on roster now guaranteed playing time.

JMike played 26 minutes with no assists. Add to the played poorly list. So sloppy with the ball.

Cliff, Hyatt, and yes Fernandes and Oskar played pretty well.

Reactions: RAC93
Clean house coming for next year. If Cliff decides to come back to be part of the Ace and Dylan year, he is probably only player on roster now guaranteed playing time.
WTH are you talking about. Before today, Mag had five games in a row scoring in double figures. He had a bad game today. Happens to every player.

Mag is a key piece next year.

Mag definitely didn't show up today.

Like it or not, our scoring comes from our forwards and center, because the guards aren't getting it done. Can't have Mag disappear.

Reactions: RAC93
Those killing Fernandes should apologize based on today. He put the team on his back for the comeback but others decided they did not want to play.
He was good today, he played really well, he deserves credit. Unfortunately, he has not done that very much and has had many more bad stretches of play than good on the whole of the season.

Reactions: Scangg and bitnez
JMike played 26 minutes with no assists. Add to the played poorly list. So sloppy with the ball.

Cliff, Hyatt, and yes Fernandes and Oskar played pretty well.

JMike plays because he’s a kid — and he’s still fearless. He wasn’t even supposed to really play this year. Yes, he’s sloppy at times but he’s a dog. No fade away in his game. You can win with guys like that. So worth the investment.

Mag nearly transferred out last year too. Too injury prone. Rutgers may be able to improve on his position. But fair. Maybe Cliff and Mag only ones with secure minutes should they return.

Mag had a bad game. It happens. Too bad most of the team has a bad game nearly every night

Hopefully Noah can carry this momentum moving forward

We just can't have the vast majority of players having bad games every night, but thats unfortunately what we have seen

Cliff putting together 2 good ones in a row. That needs to continue

Reactions: BillyC80 and RAC93
Entire team is wholly inconsistent.

People get crazily excited when someone has a terrific game only to be disappointed when the player falters badly in the next game

Be like me : expect the worst because the team is not good and thus you can’t get disappointed after continuous beat downs.

And don’t get too gung ho after a win like Nebraska because you ll only set yourself up for more heartache.

This team ain’t worth it.

The talent isn’t there !

JMike plays because he’s a kid — and he’s still fearless. He wasn’t even supposed to really play this year. Yes, he’s sloppy at times but he’s a dog. No fade away in his game. You can win with guys like that. So worth the investment.
Two games of plus twenty minutes with no assist is a problem. He’s not shooting next year with Ace and Dylan. Don’t need a shooter. We need a playmaker and hasn’t shown at all. Indeed no assists in two games suggests a black hole.

Simpson gets just as many rebounds, more steals and assists. He is also fearless. Only a sophomore he’s a kid too.

Last year Simpson took over and won Indiana and PSU. Do you see JMike doing that this year? Hasn’t happened yet.

Simpson was fearless taking shot to beat Stonehall. Simpson was fearless hitting shot at buzzer at Indiana. He was hitting foul shots to ice game against Indiana. Almost had a triple double against Nebraska.

You want to talk Return On Investment, Simpson is a higher return on investment. I see two games of plus 20 minutes and no assists and I see a loss of investment.

Fearless? SMH with this nonsense.

Last edited:
Mag looked very unsteady on that injured leg. I honestly don't think he should have played today. I'm extremely concerned about a re-tear. Knock on wood.

Mag is EXTREMELY important for next year.

Mag looked very unsteady on that injured leg. I honestly don't think he should have played today. I'm extremely concerned about a re-tear. Knock on wood.

Mag is EXTREMELY important for next year.
I hate to say it, but he is very high risk with injury. Gives me pause for future. Hope I'm wrong.

Entire team is wholly inconsistent.

People get crazily excited when someone has a terrific game only to be disappointed when the player falters badly in the next game

Be like me : expect the worst because the team is not good and thus you can’t get disappointed after continuous beat downs.

And don’t get too gung ho after a win like Nebraska because you ll only set yourself up for more heartache.

This team ain’t worth it.

The talent isn’t there !
Valid points, I had been following that same theory as you but got caught up in them beating Indi and Nebraska. Back to reality……now let’s have Pike and staff figure out what the hell needs to be done with Griffiths to get something out of this lost season.

Reactions: RutgersClassof2004
I hate to say it, but he is very high risk with injury. Gives me pause for future. Hope I'm wrong.
I don't remember if the wrapped leg was the ACL side or not but honestly either way it alters his mechanics in ways that predisposes him to injury. I was cringing watching the way he was moving.

Two games of plus twenty minutes with no assist is a problem. He’s not shooting next year with Ace and Dylan. Don’t need a shooter. We need a playmaker and hasn’t shown at all. Indeed no assists in two games suggests a black hole.

Simpson gets just as many rebounds, more steals and assists. He is also fearless. Only a sophomore he’s a kid too.

Last year Simpson took over and won Indiana and PSU. Do you see JMike doing that this year? Hasn’t happened yet.

Simpson was fearless taking shot to beat Stonehall. Simpson was fearless hitting shot at buzzer at Indiana. He was hitting foul shots to ice game against Indiana. Almost had a triple double against Nebraska.

You want to talk Return On Investment, Simpson is a higher return on investment. I see two games of plus 20 minutes and no assists and I see a loss of investment.

JMike is short but the body is there. And I’m not concerned about JMike’s assists on a team with no one who can finish at the rim or even make an open jumper. He’s also not looking to shoot. He’s only taken 9 shots over the last 3 games. When he’s playing with his good buddy Ace next year I have zero concerns that JMike won’t pass him the ball (or DH for that matter).

As for Derek, he’s a shoot first guy who thinks like a scorer. When he’s off he just keeps shooting. That’s cool for second team guy. In fact, I like that but he’s not the type of guy to play with DH and Ace. It’s just a bad fit. And while Derek hits some big shots, he takes a lot of them, his body development is really poor.

Simpson played like pure shit today. Never set up his team , played matador defense , didn’t rebound , didn’t assist and piss poor shooting and missed Cliff 2x for lobs.
You do not have to defend Derek after every Shitty game he has and try and put down JMike. JMike hustled today , played defense , but like Derek didn’t run the team well enough. Your constant criticism makes you suck as a fan of our whole team instead of a cheering section for 1 player Derek. Derek , Mag and Austin were no shows today and when they are , we are not winning a lot of games.

Valid points, I had been following that same theory as you but got caught up in them beating Indi and Nebraska. Back to reality……now let’s have Pike and staff figure out what the hell needs to be done with Griffiths to get something out of this lost season.
You do realize there are different levels of quality teams in the BiG 10. We have lost to Illinois 2x and at Iowa , at MSU and at Ohio State . Illinois is likely a top 1,2, 3 team. The other 3 are in the top half of the league and all 3 will likely be there at the end. We beat Indiana and Nebraska currently in the top half of the league but both at home. We now have Purdue , Penn State and Wisconsin coming to us and Michigan on the road in the next 4. The schedule lets up after that. This is a huge stretch coming up. Our backs are against the wall. Any time a Pike team has had their backs to the wall a superb effort follows. If we are 1-3 in the next 4 , then likely it is a down season ( you call it lost ). But let’s see what 3-4 at home does first.

this is what i see. May be wrong….
JaMike is a serviceable back up catcher
Simpson is a AAAA OF, too good for AAA, but nor good enough for MLB

Reactions: bac2therac
You do realize there are different levels of quality teams in the BiG 10. We have lost to Illinois 2x and at Iowa , at MSU and at Ohio State . Illinois is likely a top 1,2, 3 team. The other 3 are in the top half of the league and all 3 will likely be there at the end. We beat Indiana and Nebraska currently in the top half of the league but both at home. We now have Purdue , Penn State and Wisconsin coming to us and Michigan on the road in the next 4. The schedule lets up after that. This is a huge stretch coming up. Our backs are against the wall. Any time a Pike team has had their backs to the wall a superb effort follows. If we are 1-3 in the next 4 , then likely it is a down season ( you call it lost ). But let’s see what 3-4 at home does first.
You do realize to get to the NCAA tourney that they would likely need to finish 19-12 I would say, at least to feel confident they’re in. They are 10-8, with hardly any good wins, SHU is Q1. While Nebraska and Indiana are conference wins, they’re not high quality wins that make or break a team’s resume. From a post season perspective, yes, this is a lost season based upon the team we have watched thru 18 games. Not 4 games, not 8 games, not 12 games….18 games. That is a large enough sample size for us to surmise where this season is headed. If we win 4 (a MASSIVE IF BY THE WAY) in a row then we’re 6-5 in conference. That’s a start but we still would have a lot of work to do. Don’t forget the Big Ten is down this year and going 10-10 in Big Ten play is not a huge benefit this year.

Last edited:
You do realize to get to the NCAA tourney that they would likely need to finish 19-12 I would say, at least to feel confident they’re in. They are 10-8, with hardly any good wins, SHU is Q1. While Nebraska and Indiana are conference wins, they’re not high quality wins that make or break a team’s resume. From a post season perspective, yes, this is a lost season based upon the team we have watched thru 18 games. Not 4 games, not 8 games, not 12 games….18 games. That is a large enough sample size for us to surmise where this season is headed. If we win 4 in a row then we’re 6-5 in conference. That’s a start but we still would have a lot of work to do. Don’t forget the Big Ten is down this year and going 10-10 in Big Ten play is not a huge benefit this year.
Put a fork in her, season's cooked

Reactions: RUskoolie and RAC93
You do realize to get to the NCAA tourney that they would likely need to finish 19-12 I would say, at least to feel confident they’re in. They are 10-8, with hardly any good wins, SHU is Q1. While Nebraska and Indiana are conference wins, they’re not high quality wins that make or break a team’s resume. From a post season perspective, yes, this is a lost season based upon the team we have watched thru 18 games. Not 4 games, not 8 games, not 12 games….18 games. That is a large enough sample size for us to surmise where this season is headed. If we win 4 (a MASSIVE IF BY THE WAY) in a row then we’re 6-5 in conference. That’s a start but we still would have a lot of work to do. Don’t forget the Big Ten is down this year and going 10-10 in Big Ten play is not a huge benefit this year.
Agree it is looking bleak for the NCAA this year especially with the game to game inconsistency of our players and even Pike. Nebraska is a good win not great but likely an NCAA team. Big 10 is down this year making this year even more frustrating . It is a down year but not a lost year. Just disagree with that thought process .

This thread is too funny. Mag is literally the least of the problems with this team. I mean, even him playing "poorly" today, I'd still prefer him on the court more than just about anyone else on this team other than Cliff. And I say Cliff because we don't have a true serviceable backup center.

Good thread. Anybody else to kill?
Nobody wants to kill Mag. But he was nonexistent today. Of course Mag, is needed this year and next. Nothing wrong with pointing out he was a no show today as his typical toughness and tenacity was sorely missed.

Nobody wants to kill Mag. But he was nonexistent today. Of course Mag, is needed this year and next. Nothing wrong with pointing out he was a no show today as his typical toughness and tenacity was sorely missed.
He's playing hurt.

this is what i see. May be wrong….
JaMike is a serviceable back up catcher
Simpson is a AAAA OF, too good for AAA, but nor good enough for MLB
Simpson has had major league games already. Indiana and PSU last year. Nebraska this year. Plus big home runs against Stonehill and Indiana this year. JMike hasn’t shown major league ready with two games now with no assists. Nothing compared to Simpson.

Simpson has had major league games already. Indiana and PSU last year. Nebraska this year. Plus big home runs against Stonehill and Indiana this year. JMike hasn’t shown major league ready with two games now with no assists. Nothing compared to Simpson.

Funny enough going into that Indiana game Derek was 3-12 in the prior 4 games. Yet Pike still called his number.

As for PSU, Derek had gone 2-6 in the prior 2 games scoring only 3.5 ppg. And Pike went back to him again and he got rewarded.

Crazy what happens when you keep giving a guy chances. He might reward you. But if Derek was held to 8 minutes per game you couldn’t cite those games.

I like Mag, solid role player and glue guy, but I am nowhere near convinced he is "key piece" of next year's team. Something better from portal could pop up, Mag is high risk for season ending injury, and he was halfway out the door last off-season for other NIL opportunities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT