ADVERTISEMENT

Mag

Can’t wait to see where he is headed… Gtech and Hobbs? Lot of rumors about Providence already collecting players for next year. Maybe Maryland after the praise Willard gave him.
Where did you hear rumors of Providence collecting players? Whoever told you that better get better info they only have 1 scholarship available if Carter goes pro. Maybe 2 guys will portal.

Pike has to step up and be a little tougher on his players. Can't be best friends with them at this level or you will get walked all over by them and their handlers. He also has teams constantly trying to poach players from him. Mr. nice guy not working at this level.
Yeah in the world of NIL these players will walk away from the coach, teammates and the school in a heartbeat . I know pike is a really nice guy but I also think he plays up that Mr nice guy image too much . It’s been biting him in the ass lately.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
The concept of "team" has left the building. Now it's every man for himself. Mag figured that out for himself. NIL and portal have destroyed the concept of team. Nick Saban knows it. Jay Wright knows it. Now you me and Pike know it too.

and yet you guys who get upset when talking about getting on a player or booing him in person

they are PAID

as a matter of fact we are not far off from an incident where you have a guy quit on his team and a large NIL contributor for that particular sport goes after him

Pike has to step up and be a little tougher on his players. Can't be best friends with them at this level or you will get walked all over by them and their handlers. He also has teams constantly trying to poach players from him. Mr. nice guy not working at this level.
Pike learned a hard lesson this past year, about building and maintaining a talented team in this new era of NIL. Loyalty is out the window, for the most part.

IMO, Pike will take a hard-nosed approach going forward, demanding earlier commitments from some of his current players and not shying away from having “the talk” with others.

Pike learned a hard lesson this past year, about building and maintaining a talented team in this new era of NIL. Loyalty is out the window, for the most part.

IMO, Pike will take a hard-nosed approach going forward, demanding earlier commitments from some of his current players and not shying away from having “the talk” with others.
Agreed.

Plenty of coaches have been quoted that development of players and rosters is out the window. You can’t commit to developing too many players on your roster. Sad to say but most players that you develop are auditioning for their next role.

Pike has to understand the pulse of the team and he failed miserably.

You can’t be preaching team / team / team and you allow a rotten apple to keep manifesting itself bringing down the entire team !

Pike learned a valuable lessen this year. Program guys and development are out the window. Every year and team is full free agency. Win immediately is the only goal. The players are expendable. Get a much as you can from them when you can. Just as they are doing.

Unfortunately for Pike, this new world is exactly the opposite of how he has coached and built programs.

As he says, "guys have a lot of options these days. We thank them while they are here".

Make sure Rutgers is an option for the top players for other teams that you want. Scout and recruit in season.

Agreed.

Plenty of coaches have been quoted that development of players and rosters is out the window. You can’t commit to developing too many players on your roster. Sad to say but most players that you develop are auditioning for their next role.
That’s why I keep saying enjoy next years basketball and football teams , after that it’s a crap shoot .

as a matter of fact we are not far off from an incident where you have a guy quit on his team and a large NIL contributor for that particular sport goes after him
I can't wait for the first time some player holds out at halftime of a game for more money.

That’s why I keep saying enjoy next years basketball and football teams , after that it’s a crap shoot .
With the football team in particular it's great that so many key players are returning for the upcoming season. On the downside there will be an awful lot of starters graduating , leaving lots of spots to fill for 2025.

Reactions: RUbacker
OK, Keyboard Warrior. Would love to see Mag stuff you in the basket. Pussy.
I would love mag to kindly get the **** out of this state. The guy proved this year he has no heart and no morals.

And defending him makes you pathetic.

I would love mag to kindly get the **** out of this state. The guy proved this year he has no heart and no morals.

And defending him makes you pathetic.
I'm not defending him. I'm calling you out for calling a player vile names, namely "slimy POS". Uncalled for, and you have no basis for that. Cowardly to spout off on a message board. Say it to his face. Go down to the facility. Or go on social media under your real name.

When a player is cleared by medical has a great practice the day before a game and then is a gameday scratch on multiple occasions, somethings up.(Pike told us this on multiple occasions) Pike was visibly frustrated by the situation at the end of the year. The mods also told us what's going on behind the scenes on premium. It doesn't take a genius to connect the dots that he quit on his teammates.
You're never going to convince the head in the sand crowd. It's comical and sad how they don't want to acknowledge things and look for every excuse to dismiss reality.

Coaches are more and more becoming managers. Xs and Os will still be important but skills and players development will be out the window. Otherwise, you will just be developing players for some other team to use. The focus needs to be on recruiting, game strategy and psychology.

Did he?
Hope so.
We'll see.

Yep, should have told Mag no play, no pay and no stay, GTFO. He is looking like a doormat to players, coaches and refs. Not saying it is easy to do but he hasn't figured it out.

If someone could explain what a player gains by practicing but not playing it would be helpful. There is no guarantee of not getting injured in either practice or games. Whether a player is leaving or not, what would be in it for him to not play?

If someone could explain what a player gains by practicing but not playing it would be helpful. There is no guarantee of not getting injured in either practice or games. Whether a player is leaving or not, what would be in it for him to not play?

Sure I’ll take a shot (all speculation):

-In order to get his NIL (or other comp) he needed to be an active member of the team

-Access to facility and trainers, etc.

-Access to tutors, perks from professors, etc. (yes, some of these kids care about school too although admittedly must less than bball)

-Likes his teammates (or some of them), it’s his social circle, what else would he do with his time?

Now, why not play? Who knows. We saw the horrible advice Jaden Jones got. Of course, it’s possible that he’s simply scared to play, but well you know I guess some people will give him that benefit of the doubt.

Sure I’ll take a shot (all speculation):

-In order to get his NIL (or other comp) he needed to be an active member of the team

-Access to facility and trainers, etc.

-Access to tutors, perks from professors, etc. (yes, some of these kids care about school too although admittedly must less than bball)

-Likes his teammates (or some of them), it’s his social circle, what else would he do with his time?

Now, why not play? Who knows. We saw the horrible advice Jaden Jones got. Of course, it’s possible that he’s simply scared to play, but well you know I guess some people will give him that benefit of the doubt.

I get all the reasons for staying with the team. What would be his benefit of not playing?

I'm not defending him. I'm calling you out for calling a player vile names, namely "slimy POS". Uncalled for, and you have no basis for that. Cowardly to spout off on a message board. Say it to his face. Go down to the facility. Or go on social media under your real name.

ACE doesn’t watch the games nor support the team. He doesn’t even post when they’re doing well. He just comes here to belatedly shit on the team.

I get all the reasons for staying with the team. What would be his benefit of not playing?

Because it was hard for anyone to increase their stock playing for this team that could be observed by anyone with a tv.

The only thing Mag had to gain by playing in actual live games was a hurting his stock when he was prob forced to chuck up contested shots all game.

The same reasons guys opt out of bowl games.

I don't think its the same. Football is a violent sport with higher chances of injury. Non-playoff Bowl Games (non-playoff) are essentially exhibitions and guys who sit out are generally headed for the NFL Draft.

Mag was a DNP in season games down the stretch and a conference tourney game. RU still would have had a chance however slim of post season. Mag is not going to be drafted and playing would likely have little impact in NIL in the case of a transfer. If anything, quitting on his team would likely hurt him in NIL or transfer as coaches talk to one another.

Because it was hard for anyone to increase their stock playing for this team that could be observed by anyone with a tv.

The only thing Mag had to gain by playing in actual live games was a hurting his stock when he was prob forced to chuck up contested shots all game.

There's enough tape on him out there for anyone to see his overall weaknesses and impacts. A couple games is not going to change that.

ACE doesn’t watch the games nor support the team. He doesn’t even post when they’re doing well. He just comes here to belatedly shit on the team.
They deserve to be shit on, for two years now they've refused to show up when it matters. If we didn't have two five stars coming pikes seat would be getting warm.

We have them coming but I for one have zero confidence in pike to land the complimentary players needed to actually do something with them. With his roster building the last two years, who can be. With two of the top 3 players coming, a quick bounce from the tournament is not enough. He needs to win multiple tournament games with ace and Harper for this not to be an incredibly disappointing year.

They deserve to be shit on, for two years now they've refused to show up when it matters. If we didn't have two five stars coming pikes seat would be getting warm.

We have them coming but I for one have zero confidence in pike to land the complimentary players needed to actually do something with them. With his roster building the last two years, who can be. With two of the top 3 players coming, a quick bounce from the tournament is not enough. He needs to win multiple tournament games with ace and Harper for this not to be an incredibly disappointing year.

Like A Boss Dog GIF

• Haha
Reactions: RUInsanity

…and equally as important,, capitalize on this recruiting class with another strong one next year…especially since the two studs will be gone.

…and equally as important,, capitalize on this recruiting class with another strong one next year…especially since the two studs will be gone.
I could easily imagine a single win in the tournament before being bounced from the round of 32 in the tournament on either a poorly written up last offensive play or a simple inbounds play.

And then, after such a miserable failure of a season and both 5 stars leaving, we will get to hear how "these things happen in the tournament". If that happens, we will never land another 5 star recruit. Ever.

I could easily imagine a single win in the tournament before being bounced from the round of 32 in the tournament on either a poorly written up last offensive play or a simple inbounds play.

And then, after such a miserable failure of a season and both 5 stars leaving, we will get to hear how "these things happen in the tournament". If that happens, we will never land another 5 star recruit. Ever.
I’m trying to remain positive, but after this disastrous season, I’m not convinced we make the tournament next year. Harper and Ace may be five-star players but we almost have no legitimate team around them right now and they still are going to be freshmen. Remember, Indiana starts 3 5-star players, only one of them is a freshman, and they’re going to the NIT.

Reactions: Shelby65
This was not a disastrous season lol. We won 7 conference games and beat like 4 or 5 tournament teams. It was bad, but I don’t see how anyone that has followed this program for more than 5 years can call this a disaster. This type of season happens occasionally for 90% of programs.

Reactions: Nycrusupporter
I’m trying to remain positive, but after this disastrous season, I’m not convinced we make the tournament next year. Harper and Ace may be five-star players but we almost have no legitimate team around them right now and they still are going to be freshmen. Remember, Indiana starts 3 5-star players, only one of them is a freshman, and they’re going to the NIT.
yeah i think people here seem to think that two 5* star freshman = tournament run

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Except.... not all 5 stars are created equally. Either Ace or Dylan would be the best recruits Indiana has pulled in the last 25 years. Ace could realistically be the #1 pick in the draft when he comes out based on what scouts are projecting. When in recent times has Indiana had a recruit like that? So yes - obviously 2 guys don't make a team. But if we don't make the tourney next year I'm struggling to see how that is not a failure. And if it's because Pike couldn't convince guys to join up with these two studs - I mean isn't that on him too?

Except.... not all 5 stars are created equally. Either Ace or Dylan would be the best recruits Indiana has pulled in the last 25 years. Ace could realistically be the #1 pick in the draft when he comes out based on what scouts are projecting. When in recent times has Indiana had a recruit like that? So yes - obviously 2 guys don't make a team. But if we don't make the tourney next year I'm struggling to see how that is not a failure. And if it's because Pike couldn't convince guys to join up with these two studs - I mean isn't that on him too?

Only thing I will add is that I imagine even with Ace/Dylan - NIL $$$ comes into play in bringing portal players these days.

I think people here think that 2 Freshman ranked almost universally in the Top 3 of their class = tournament run.
Duke didn't do too much last year with 2 of top 3, there was no run . yes a 5 seed in tournament but had 3 of top 7 recruits and returning Jeremy Roach.

Yes Kentucky looks great this year with 2 of top 5 last year's class, however they had a returning stud Antonio Reeves.

2021 Memphis had 2 of top 7 (Bates and Duren) and did nothing with Bates being a bust.

Zion/RJ Barrett/Cam Reddish Duke team was pretty nuts with all the freshman carrying the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT