ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread: Midlands Tourney, mat assignments & comments:

Pagano gets Johnny Sebastan in a few minutes. Both Bergen C kids. Sebastian a 2 or 3x State champ, at 182, now 174.

Correntti will get a good test when he takes on 9th ranked Miller from Edonboro.

Correntti looks less.... doughy? than last year. Like he lost some of that baby fat. I am pretty excited to have him in the lineup for 3 years... FYI he lost to Miller by pin with 15 sec left which sucks, but he can be a good one.

Quarter matchups:

(1) Nick Suriano (Rutgers) vs (9) Zeke Moisey (West Virgini)

(2) Scott Delvecchio vs (7) Micky Phillippi (Unat. Pittsb)

(8) Eleazar Deluca vs (1) Brandon Sorensen

(3) Richie Lewis vs (6) Logan Parks (Central Michiga)

2) Nick Gravina vs Dylan Ammerman (Lehigh)

Kevin Mulligan vs (5) Frank Mattiace

Reactions: Scarlet Knut
For the close followers of the program – – how does the performance so far stack up against your expectations?

Flo Wrestling's 8 Must Watch Qtrs:

125 - #2 Nick Suriano, Rutgers vs #20 Zeke Moisey, WVU
- Zeke hasn't regained his NCAA finalist form yet, but if he gets up for this match, he can athletically compete with Suriano. That said, Suriano is showing zero holes. This is a toughie for Moisey.

125 - Spencer Lee, Iowa vs #7 Sean Russell, Ediboro - Watching Spencer bulldoze through guys has been fun. Now let's ramp up the competition a touch. Russell is extremely difficult to takedown. Lee is likely the favorite, but

149 - #2 Brandon Sorensen, Iowa vs #17 Eleazar DeLuca, Rutgers - Sorensen has looked strong so far, but DeLuca upsetting Bleise turned my head. This is a huge one for the team race.

149 - Austin O’Connor, UNC vs Jason Tsirtsis, Arizona State - A true freshman in O'Connor against a 6th year wrestler and former NCAA Champion. O'Connor looks to be the guy to beat, but Tsirtsis is wiley and skilled.

149 - #7 Matt Kolodzik, Princeton vs #13 Ryan Deakin, Northwestern - Though there's a pretty wide rankings disparity, I'm expecting a razor close match. Two guys with reliable and safe leg attacks. Either of these guys have finalist/champ potential here at Midlands.

149 - #14 Josh Maruca, Arizona State vs #3 Justin Oliver, CMU - ASU is in the thick of the team race but trailing Iowa. CMU is not too far back at this point either. An advancement from either will be huge. Oliver is a monster in all positions, but Maruca showed something in his win over Pat Lugo.

174 - #9 David Kocer, SDSU vs Johnny Sebastian, Northwestern - Sebastian has had moments in his career, but Kocer has been ultra tough. I love how Kocer is looking so far, but Sebastian hasn't been tested either.

197 - Jacob Warner, Iowa vs #5 Jacob Smith, West Virginia - Oh yes. Jacob Warner made waves with a dominating win over Willie Miklus in November. Now he has a chance to notch another massive victory. Smith has darn-near impenetrable head hands and is an elite leg rider. Warner will need solutions for both to get his hand raised.

Reactions: R U Crazy
For the close followers of the program – – how does the performance so far stack up against your expectations?

Pretty much right on the mark..... Gross had a very nice win over 7seed.. Then followed that up with 2 losses to guys he should've beaten... Correnti needs to get stronger...But that will come with time out in the weight room... Wanted to see a lil more out of Grello... But still just a frosh... DeLuca has a real talk order in Sorenson.. He wrestled the exact match he needed to in dual meet.. But can be open it up and go for the win here? Mulligan gaining some confidence.. An upset vs Mattiace would be huge... Hopefully the guys still alive in wrestlebacks can fight back into top 8...

Reactions: RUclydzFAN
Suriano looks great this next match will be a good test.

Delvecchio doesn’t look right to me.

Pete Lipari and Mike Van Brill will meet in the consi round so one will move on and one will be done. Won’t be surprised if Lipari wins. He has looked good.

Happy with how DeLuca has looked but I expect him to be headed to the wrestlebacks. Not expecting it to be as close as the dual.

Santos wrestled above my expectations.

JVB looked flat last match.

Donner not going 0-2 is a positive.

Lewis as expected. Looks smaller than his opponents but is winning.

Grello very unhappy with his 2nd match. Kid was same year as Grello.

Pagano as expected, looks good. Will not be surprised if he wins back the starting job after this tournament.

Gravina looked great first match, I was driving and missed his next match but was surprised by the score.

Mulligan so far above expectations but not surprised. I think he has a shot against Mattiace who is up and down. So won’t be surprised if we win or loss next match (I know I am am playing both sides here just don’t know which Mattiace we get).

Messner as expected.

Correnti looks good very excited for next 3 years with him.

Gross as expected will keep matches close with non elite wrestlers.

As a team I’m happy of where we are so hope above doesn’t come across different. I just like to be honest with my assessment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT