ADVERTISEMENT

Mathis Update...

Yea, pay to get "inside info" one day before the kid gives the info himself. I'll just wait til he announces.
I thought he was announcing on Friday? Today's Wednesday right? Isn't that 2 days or am I having an acid flash back. Sh*t I shouldn't have gone to so many Allman Brothers concerts when I was younger.

Holy crap you guys realize that the Round Table is FREE TILL THE END OF THE MONTH right? Its been publicized on every board including this one....If you want the premium info stop being lazy sign up and if you don't want your CC to charge cancel at the end of the month.

Reactions: Scangg
In a recent interview Mathis talked about how much he liked the Rutgers campuses.... " Largest campus he's ever seen".

Well, Rutgers Basketball is sending him a direct message before D-Day.

Reactions: Scangg
Looking at the Boneyard, the U Conn forum it seems as if a lot of their fans are really down on Ollie. They seem to think he is not the recruiter he was 4 years ago. Some have mentioned that they have been losing recruits to schools that never came close to them in the past. A few posters seem to be quite concerned if they should lose Mathis to RU. Mathis did post something just after 9 PM about doubling down or such. This had some worried as well. I really hope we can pull this out. It would be like a miracle and shocking the basketball world. It probably won't happen but a guy can dream, can't they?

Reactions: biazza38 and Scangg
signed up for the RoundTable..... insight in there right now for this is great. For those worried about cash flow just cancel prior to Sept 1. Realy has some good stuff even outside of this one case.

I disagree. I've seen him play in person twice and have watched several more games on video. I think we have him ranked appropriately. There are two guys ranked between No. 70 and Mathis at 83 that I think should be ranked behind him, but that's it.

Mathis is a very good four-year player who will contribute as a freshman and get better over his college career.

@RussWood How would you compare his game to Myles Powell? They seem similarly ranked in HS (both prepped?), with Powell more the shooter and Mathis the slasher. Would expect them to have similar impacts first year and be solid 4 year players no?

In fact UConn was the team SHU beat out for Cheese. Hope Rutgers can land Mathis

@RussWood How would you compare his game to Myles Powell? They seem similarly ranked in HS (both prepped?), with Powell more the shooter and Mathis the slasher. Would expect them to have similar impacts first year and be solid 4 year players no?

In fact UConn was the team SHU beat out for Cheese. Hope Rutgers can land Mathis
Different players. Powell was more of a point guard who liked to jack up shots in HS (more than a few were questionable shot selections) and he probably led SHU in three-point attempts last year -- that's just a guess btw. Mathis should spend more time at the FT line than Powell did last season. Also Mathis has the potential to be a really good defender.

By the way, be sure you put a space between Russ and Wood when you tag me or I won't get a notification.

Reactions: Pirate19001
at the same time the crystal ball swings our way, he follows a whole bunch of uconn people on twitter.

sounds like it will be georgia tech just like last time!

Reactions: ABRU00 and MV9000
at the same time the crystal ball swings our way, he follows a whole bunch of uconn people on twitter.

sounds like it will be georgia tech just like last time!
Can't seem him following all those people only to pick a different school a day later, what would be the point. Seems like we may have lost this one, but we'll see,

Reactions: MV9000
I don't want to want to be a copy cat ...but a Marosy "Just DO it!" post for Mathis sounds perfect....

Reactions: LC-88
At RU he could be an all-time great ... would he possibly come here and be known as the guy to put RU on the map?

Guess the "what is" won out over the "what if". Pretty spot on to what I was told if this is the end. It's imperative that we show progress in the B1G conference schedule if we are to get over the hump. Valient effort on our staff's part. Onto the next one.

RU just became the favorite according to 247... A bunch of people switched their picks to RU all at the same time...

I really don't know to to make of him following UConn people in Twitter.. maybe they followed him and he's just following back

Reactions: sct1111
Guess the "what is" won out over the "what if". Pretty spot on to what I was told if this is the end. It's imperative that we show progress in the B1G conference schedule if we are to get over the hump. Valient effort on our staff's part. Onto the next one.
Dagger but what can you do. Coach Pike gave it his best. Apparently about to lose Anderson the WR recruit that Ash has invested heavily in to BC per latest info. Can't stand Campanile.

Dagger but what can you do. Coach Pike gave it his best. Apparently about to lose Anderson the WR recruit that Ash has invested heavily in to BC per latest info. Can't stand Campanile.

Wait a little bit longer.

There are many guys more plugged in than me but, 1 of the guys I know that's still in the AAU world told me last week that uconn & particularly Chillious was pushing Mathis hard for a commitment. They believe it would help tilt Carey to them.

IF, that's true, the fact that he's slow playing this MAY be good news for us

Reactions: NewJerseyHawk
There are many guys more plugged in than me but, 1 of the guys I know that's still in the AAU world told me last week that uconn & particularly Chillious was pushing Mathis hard for a commitment. They believe it would help tilt Carey to them.

It would not be at all surprising if uconn had a high degree of 'urgency' to get a verbal commitment for the 2018 class - they currently have none - they had 5 in 2017 but there was a decommitt, 3 transfers and some late scrambling - and now with the attention toward 2018 and days rapidly going by as September comes into view - and students return for the start of the 2017-2018 school year - it is possible that the 'urgency' leads to really heightened efforts at persuasion - which is seen and felt as 'pushing' and 'pressure' ... which ultimately begins to telegraph to the recruit & his family the existence in the program of substantial "anxiety" - especially with a staff that is feverishly working on rectifying what went wrong last year & seeking to fill the gaps that were left by graduation of key contributors & unanticipated transfers.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I had the chance to speak with someone I trust on the Mathis situation. Anyhow, here's what I was told. From what can be gathered, Mathis is basically down to 3 schools. The general feeling is that it's a 2-horse race between UConn and RU. I was told that at this point, Montez is not leaning in any direction (though he is playing it close to the vest). He is definitely listening to RU and is "intrigued". He has an extremely close relationship with our staff, which is what's keeping us in the game. He sees RU as a program on the rise and trusts that Pike and company are going to turn it around. As for UConn, it's a storied program in his eyes with a roster of legends (Ben Gordon was mentioned). UConn has the history, the Championships, and it's being sold as an easy path to the tourney every year. He also likes that they consistently send players to the league.

My buddy thinks it comes down to whether Mathis wants to be part of the turnaround or part of a sure thing. If he is to choose it's 100% because of his relationship with the staff. This makes me feel better about the situation. Even if he chooses UConn or elsewhere, it is extremely positive news that our staff is able to forge strong relationships with this caliber of player. I know that nothing here is earth shattering news and some of the same stuff I've mentioned earlier, but I like that this is coming from another party.

Also, I was told that this staff is killer in relationship building with some pretty serious ballers. My buddy tends to think if RU shows any signs of improving on last season (which was a pretty nice improvement), they picture being painted by the staff becomes more real to the recruits and we'll see some SHU-level (or slightly above) in the next few cycles.

Glad we won one!

Does Mathis commitment tilt Carey to RU? I know McClung is expected to be a PG but damn Carey, Mathis, Baker and McClung would make one heckuva monster backcourt.

I'm sorry but when I see crystal ball I have to
[roll]
Sometimes. So few of their contributors know anything and just follow what one or two crystal ballers predict.
They have the same information everyone else has 70 % of the time- a social media account.

Does Mathis commitment tilt Carey to RU? I know McClung is expected to be a PG but damn Carey, Mathis and McClung would make one heckuva 3-headed monster backcourt.
I would say no. Sure, you can run three guards, but we have our guards set now. I firmly think carry goes elsewhere. And that is fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT