ADVERTISEMENT

Mathis Update...

I have been reading quotes Mathias has been making that give me hope even if he verbals to UConn as I type this.

we have made a very good impression with the family...... as long as the coaching staff does not turn bitter with a Uconn announcement, which they certainly won't......

Committing Friday
He'll have a Yukon hat on as he sits in front of the mic, then throw it off to unveil this:

PRCMF-RTGR-1FT-TMC__68153.1501192572.1280.1280.jpg

Reactions: RC85 and biazza38
I think I read that he will just contact the coaches. Montez seems to be very classy. He doesn't want to put on a big show like most other players today.

We really needed him to take the official visit to give RU one last hard long look but alas not enough this time around.

Had started to think that it would be in his best interest to slow walk this - and maybe also in RU's - if a significant addition is made to the RU squad in the next couple of weeks - it might make for an even more convincing argument to go with the ascending program.... and time might reveal that another somebody's retooling efforts are not progressing well.

But recruiting is a dynamic and ongoing process - and - just like in Football & going steady ... a verbal is only an "understanding" ... and actual signing occurs:

Basketball - - - - Initial Signing Date - - - - Final Signing Date
(Early Period) - - -November 8, 2017 - - - -November 15, 2017
(Regular Period) - - April 11, 2018 - - - - - May 16, 2018

- and even then there seem to be various instances where recruits change their mind very very late in the process and request a release from their Letter of Intent - and generally get it

This is not meant to stir up encouragement tor 'poaching' or predatory recruiting of committed recruits ... just thoughts

It is imperative for Rutgers to continue to perform in an improving manner in 2017-2018 - definitely need to validate the idea that Pikiell & Co. are continuing the ascending trend-line - and continue to make the picture of Rutgers as a team on its way to the big dance very clear in the minds of all recruits and high school coaches

... it probably should also be noted that UCONN cannot afford to have any sort of repeat of last year - cannot encounter significant malfunctions in the attempts to get all of the new coaching and player pieces to function together effectively - cannot afford any quirky serendipitous misfortunes - because regardless of how random - or beyond the control of the program they might be - they will be interpreted as an indicator that the rebuild effort has floundered .. and recruits will fear that they may be climbing on board a struggling ship that is languishing in the doldrums ... which leads to reconsideration of decisions.... but also sometimes when recruits have a change in thinking, they find that the other place that they might have originally chosen has landed a recruit that they now like even better (once again - a little like going steady!)

Nice article. Thanks for posting. He sounds like a good kid from a strong family. Sure hope he picks Rutgers.

Reactions: MV9000
Does he want to play high major ball or play East Carolina and Tulane for 4 years?

I agree, but we are in no position to knock other programs (we have been the cupcake in the B1G). That being said, if he commits to playing at Rutgers he will be playing against the highest level of competition and get plenty of notoriety if that's what he is looking for.

I fear we're losing this one (not based on anything I've heard). As I've said, it's very difficult to choose an unknown over a known quantity. Does Montez see himself as the one to turn it around? Unfortunately, a lot of players simply don't want to be that guy. All this said, we'll see.

I agree, but we are in no position to knock other programs (we have been the cupcake in the B1G). That being said, if he commits to playing at Rutgers he will be playing against the highest level of competition and get plenty of notoriety if that's what he is looking for.
Just this upcoming season UConn plays cuse, Oregon, mich st, villanova, arizona and they play in the PK80 tourney(look it up). To add to that Wichita st, smu, cincy, and ucf will all be tournament level teams in conference play. Couple that with our blue blood level TV exposure and montez has nothing to worry about competition wise

Last edited:
There are individuals who innately have the inner ability to shoulder the role of being a face of a program - genuinely thrive on it ...
and there are also excellent players who either can't or simply don't want to ... "be that guy"

- when the Rutgers launch rockets fully kick in & the progress become the focus of intense media coverage - the key faces of the team had better all be totally OK with "being that guy"

It appears hiring the new Associate HC put Uconn ahead. It's a shame the staff went to war against Kevin Ollie and co, seemingly winning the battles that lead to victory in a war of ettrition, and had that taken away from them by a great addition by Ollie.

Fingers crossed though.

There are individuals who innately have the inner ability to shoulder the role of being a face of a program - genuinely thrive on it ...
and there are also excellent players who either can't or simply don't want to ... "be that guy"

- when the Rutgers launch rockets fully kick in & the progress become the focus of intense media coverage - the key faces of the team had better all be totally OK with "being that guy"

The players that will ultimately have the most to do with the eventual turnaround of the program will most likely NOT end up being the face of the program. It will be the guy that comes here because the people before him laid the foundation.

Reactions: koleszar
hopefully the mom has his ear full force. Geo Doucoure and Mathis .... the things that could be and the snowball effect that class would have.

Seems consensus with the kids/those following the New England area Geo is a stud. Very excited for him.

He is announcing Friday. Keep your fingers crossed.

Reactions: MV9000
UConn fan chipping in. I agree with the posts that say that just being in the hunt for MM shows you that Pikiell and Hobbsy are killing it for you guys. I've seen the talking heads flip to UConn but I'm worried about his talk about his relationship with the RU coaches. It still is anyone's guess which way he'll go.

Regardless I feel like things are looking up for RU MBB. Definitely like your coaching staff!

Sounds like UConn is squeezing him for a decision ahead of the kids timeline, he's already mentioned he was enjoying the recruiting process and was on record as wanting to take 5 official visits as recently as a couple of weeks ago...suddenly he's down to 2 or 3 schools and is rushing to a final decision way ahead of the schedule he originally planned on doing....when kids decommit, it's usually because they are rushing a decision or forced their hands to do so and then fans jump all over the player for doing so.

Sounds like UConn is squeezing him for a decision ahead of the kids timeline, he's already mentioned he was enjoying the recruiting process and was on record as wanting to take 5 official visits as recently as a couple of weeks ago...suddenly he's down to 2 or 3 schools and is rushing to a final decision way ahead of the schedule he originally planned on doing....when kids decommit, it's usually because they are rushing a decision or forced their hands to do so and then fans jump all over the player for doing so.
I doubt it. Chillious is known as a relationship builder not a high-pressure recruiter. It's more likely that kid just came to a decision. No point in dragging things on after that.

Wrong again.....he may be one player but there are other players beyond this one....and if that was the case, RU would not have made the final list for the player....it's the always moving goalposts for some fans...I guess the goal is ultimately the national title for some fans, vs reality check for others that aren't expecting to compete with national programs for players during a rebuild....

Some kids play a year at a program like UConn and then transfer out of the "winning" program....are those same players that left UConn last year and this past spring a "reality check", because they left a "winning program" for places that were not as good as UConn...?

The reality check is that RU is competing for a national/regional recruit with a multiple national champ, yet people continue to whine as if they are entitled to beat out a National Program that really shouldn't be fighting tooth and nail for a recruit with RU....if anyone can remember RU in recent years competing with UConn for a recruit, can let me know, which is more of a signal of a larger shift....

They (UConn) really should be competing for other higher ranked recruits going to Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, Cuse, UCLA and landing those recruits against those schools. The fact that RU is in the mix against improving programs like Virginia Tech (Buzz Williams) and UConn and made the final 3 list over other very good programs like Xavier etc, should signal "progress", but some still consider it a failure.........too bad fans are missing out on the enjoyment of watching RU growing into a better program and wants the microwave deal of instant success.....

If it was easy to get to 20+ wins every year, every program would be there...the fact is it's extremely competitive to do so and it will take more than one recruit to get there...if not Mathis, I'm certain the overall class will improve the roster more than last year.
Here we go again with another excuse for a top tier recruit potentially choosing another school.The facts are long suffering Rutgers fans have waited more than 25 years for one NCAA bid and 11 years for a winning season.Nobody is talking about the microwave deal of instant success.Its obvious your agenda is to criticize fans that don't agree with what you have to say.This is a message board of Rutgers fans that have been loyal by attending games through decades of losing and lack of relevance.We are supportive of Coach Pikiell and staff but understand that recruiting is the life blood of college basketball.Complementary type players weren't the answer in the past and certainly won't be in the B1G.Winning recruiting battles is one of the best indicators that progress is being made in improving the talent level.What I am saying also applies to college football but is far more difficult because more players must be recruited and the competition in B1G football is far more difficult than basketball .

Last edited:
potentially in front of 15,000 fans and playing in the NCAA tourney.

We play high major opponents, but that is about where it ends. Everything else is AAC like.

A vision can be sold. Right now it is only a vision.

The RAC may not hold 15,000 but it is definitely a big time atmosphere. One of the most intimidating places when full in all of college basketball

People are acting like he is long gone..

Mathis is still very much in play. The evaluators say that he retweeted a uconn tweet, and realized that was the only piece of information they had.

I hope Mathis does well wherever he goes. He would be a great fit to replace Mike Williams.

People are acting like he is long gone..

Mathis is still very much in play. The evaluators say that he retweeted a uconn tweet, and realized that was the only piece of information they had.

I hope Mathis does well wherever he goes. He would be a great fit to replace Mike Williams.

Why shouldn't they? They is an overwhelming consensus he is going to Uconn. Where there is smoke their is fire. Can't keep it that well under wraps or it would be viewed as it least a toss up between friends, AAU and handlers there is more than enough "leakers" out there to share key tidbits.

Why shouldn't they? They is an overwhelming consensus he is going to Uconn. Where there is smoke their is fire. Can't keep it that well under wraps or it would be viewed as it least a toss up between friends, AAU and handlers there is more than enough "leakers" out there to share key tidbits.

And the consensus is based on??This is a recruit commitment, not a world tragedy.

People aren't saying Mathis is committing to UConn because he retweeted UConn stuff. They're saying UConn because a bunch of recruiting reporters/insiders started to switch their picks to UConn in various articles and websites. That said, Jose Alvarado was going to Rutgers until literally the day of his choice so things can always change.

Reactions: shields
Is it at all POSSIBLE that Montez commits to RU as this secret soon to be announced late addition to class of 2017? Just a shot in the dark..maybe that is the edge for him committing to RU and for committing so soon after July live period. Maybe he has the class work completed to qualify and play this season

Is it at all POSSIBLE that Montez commits to RU as this secret soon to be announced late addition to class of 2017? Just a shot in the dark..maybe that is the edge for him committing to RU and for committing so soon after July live period. Maybe he has the class work completed to qualify and play this season

Thought about that as well. We are Rutgers fans. We think of all things.

not that it is guaranteed but 247 now is 100% UConn

hopefully they are as correct as they were when that kid chose GT over us (Alvarado?)...they had him going to RU 100%...

just sayin...:pray:

This made me LOL. Although appreciate the out of box thinking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT