ADVERTISEMENT

Mathis Update...

There is a template somewhere for us losing this type of guy in both sports. All we need to do is change the name. Time for a new template???

Reactions: NJDOVES
"Official" Announcement is Friday -correct?

until then - everything is hopes, wishes, anguish, fear ... based upon ,speculation and perceptions - it may even be the absolutely most well founded, highly placed, direct from the source insight ... but until the recruit makes the "official" verbal statement of intentions - we will all wait for certainty (or as much certainty as a"verbal" commitment can provide)

... regardless of the outcome... there is a strong reason to have certainty that the Rutgers Basketball program is on the right track and headed in the right direction.

Have I told you guys lately how much I want Mathis to RU and how much I like this kids game ?

This kid is a top 25-50 type kid guys ...his underranking reminds me very much of dahthay jones...a top 75-100 kid talented whose current game is VERY good and you watch and say...."this kid is gonna g to be a player....as best basketball is still Yet to be played"....as opposed to a top 75 kid who is there because he is good, but overblown because he plays on the right AAU team

Have I told you guys lately how much I want Mathis to RU and how much I like this kids game ?

This kid is a top 25-50 type kid guys ...his underranking reminds me very much of dahthay jones...a top 75-100 kid talented whose current game is VERY good and you watch and say...."this kid is gonna g to be a player....as best basketball is still Yet to be played"....as opposed to a top 75 kid who is there because he is good, but overblown because he plays on the right AAU team

Is there any video on him?

I disagree. I've seen him play in person twice and have watched several more games on video. I think we have him ranked appropriately. There are two guys ranked between No. 70 and Mathis at 83 that I think should be ranked behind him, but that's it.

Mathis is a very good four-year player who will contribute as a freshman and get better over his college career.

Reactions: Scangg
I agree with Russ, but this is the type of recruit we absolutely need to win. He is a piece. We need him and 4 or 5 others like him across two recruiting classes.

Russ

Respect your opinion

I should be more specific ...

Part of my top 25-50 opinion is that I reflect upside into that equation where I think most recruiting rankings look at what is in front of them right now

This kids upside has me of opinion that he potential has much higher upside relative to his current ranking, which is pretty good right now. Some kids don't have that upside
, he does

Russ

Respect your opinion

Part of my top 25-50 opinion is that I reflect upside into that equation where I think most recruiting rankings look at what is in front of them right now

This kids upside has me of opinion that he potential has much higher upside relative to his current ranking, which is pretty good right now. Some kids don't have that upside
, he does
You might also want to factor in that, according to what I was told, is already 18 (almost 19) & his wingspan is just 6'6.

So he's old for his grade, and not very long. His age lowers that ceiling/upside a bit.

Russ

Respect your opinion

, he does
25, 50, 75...doesn't matter much.

For this program to go from where it has been to where it wants to go, it has to become average first. If Coach Pike can get 4-5 Top 100 guys on the roster at any given time (spread out between 2-4 classes), we will finally have good enough talent, to go along with good coaching, to put a competitive and quality team on the floor. Mathis absolutely fits that mold and then the challenge becomes getting the real difference makers that can make a good team great, but first things first...getting a few kids of Mathis' caliber will definitely push this program forward.

Reactions: Local Shill
You might also want to factor in that, according to what I was told, is already 18 (almost 19) & his wingspan is just 6'6.

So he's old for his grade, and not very long. His age lowers that ceiling/upside a bit.

Good point re: his age. To bring it back to Dahntay Jones, he was the opposite- I think on young side; and wasn't big on the AAU /private school hoop scene so flew a bit under the radar. That doesn't appear to be the case with this kid....

I hope we can get him, but it's pretty clear the board has lost perspective here. Newbies?

I doubt RT has special insight that's not already out there. Its looking like UCONN all they way unfortunately. Crazier things have happened but its pointing in that direction

Eric Bossi from Rivals:

UConn has been the runaway favorite on this one for a while now. I'd be pretty shocked if he doesn't pick the Huskies on Friday.

Premium is free until kickoff anyway with that promo code mods shared before if anyone isn't on RT and wants to see the update. There is always more info on the Round Table. Definitely worth it if you're a serious fan

Eric Bossi from Rivals:

UConn has been the runaway favorite on this one for a while now. I'd be pretty shocked if he doesn't pick the Huskies on Friday.

I saw the Uconn board post this. Seems like this info was before some recent developments.

Top 25, 50, 100; doesn't matter. Mathis is a good player with some potential. Most important for the program is winning a recruiting battle against a blue blood program. It adds to the positive momentum Pike and staff have built up and helps convince other top players times are changing, it's ok to jump onboard. Not an end of the world scenario if he doesn't commit to us, but I'd have to think it helps speed up the rebuild if he does. Friday could be a very big moment for the program. Hopefully so.

Good point re: his age. To bring it back to Dahntay Jones, he was the opposite- I think on young side; and wasn't big on the AAU /private school hoop scene so flew a bit under the radar. That doesn't appear to be the case with this kid....

I hope we can get him, but it's pretty clear the board has lost perspective here. Newbies?

I'm a newbie?

And the age difference is relevant to the pros and NOT to the college game

I'm a newbie?

And the age difference is relevant to the pros and NOT to the college game
Not really. When it comes to evaluations I always take age into consideration. If I'm watching a *cough* 17U game and a kid is playing really well and I learn that he is 18 years and six months old but his defenders are a 16 year-old playing up or 17 year old...well I factor that in.

It could also mean that the older kid, who will be almost 20 by the time his freshman season in college begins, has a high floor and not a high ceiling.

The opposite is also true. In July 2015 when I saw Devon Dotson for the first time with Team Charlotte's 17U team, I was impressed...then I when I spoke to his father and found out the kid was just 15...well that changed my evaluation. Kinda like the 6-foot-1 point guard I saw Friday playing for Team Charlotte in the AAU Super Showcase -- Jalen Hood Schifino (remember that name) -- the kid was solid with the ball, nothing flashy but steady under pressure. Then I looked in my media packet and saw that he's in the class of 2022 (he's a rising 8th grader) and he's more than holding his own in a 17U game.

Btw, Team Charlotte 17U won the AAU Super Showcase Gold championship with a rising 8th grader at point guard.

So, yes...age difference is relevant at the college level.

Reactions: jmc11201 and jrh51
Not really. When it comes to evaluations I always take age into consideration. If I'm watching a *cough* 17U game and a kid is playing really well and I learn that he is 18 years and six months old but his defenders are a 16 year-old playing up or 17 year old...well I factor that in.

It could also mean that the older kid, who will be almost 20 by the time his freshman season in college begins, has a high floor and not a high ceiling.

The opposite is also true. In July 2015 when I saw Devon Dotson for the first time with Team Charlotte's 17U team, I was impressed...then I when I spoke to his father and found out the kid was just 15...well that changed my evaluation. Kinda like the 6-foot-1 point guard I saw Friday playing for Team Charlotte in the AAU Super Showcase -- Jalen Hood Schifino (remember that name) -- the kid was solid with the ball, nothing flashy but steady under pressure. Then I looked in my media packet and saw that he's in the class of 2022 (he's a rising 8th grader) and he's more than holding his own in a 17U game.

Btw, Team Charlotte 17U won the AAU Super Showcase Gold championship with a rising 8th grader at point guard.

So, yes...age difference is relevant at the college level.

@RussWood....met Jeff Mcinnis, former UNC PG and NBA guard a couple of months ago at the UA AAU event in NYC....extremely nice guy and had a pretty good team....is he the coach for Jalen Hood Schifino....??

I thought Dotson was the top guard in this class, but others have kids ranked higher (somehow without any semblance of a jump shot in some cases).....would be interested in your feedback (even if it's after the Mathis decision on Friday).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT