ADVERTISEMENT

Football Max Melton & Chris Long Suspended

Shouting at innocent, random people doesn't get a slap on the
It was a drive by. I'm sure they didn't know anyone randomly walking around at 10pm. Where do you get any connection between refusing medical treatment and them knowing the people that got hit?? Makes zero sense at all. They had no problem calling the police!

Perhaps it wasn't the targets that called the 50.

Do you people live under a rock? In what world is driving around campus with a Gun shooting people not as bad as it seems?

first of all, they’re shooting they’re fellow classmates and fans that are supposed to pack the stadium and support the team. Sounds like shooting people is the right idea. That will certainly pack sellout crowds.

secondly,
Do you realize the time of society we live in? Two black males seen shooting a gun on a college campus. They are both lucky they weren’t caught in the act and gunned down by police. Is that not ****ing idiotic to you?

amazing to me how ****ing tone deaf you old ass morons are

Not a gun dummy.

Reactions: sunsetregret
Maybe, maybe not Screw. But irrelevant. Can't go around shooting people. Paintball gun was used as a weapon. There were victims.

Agree, mostly. I see it as a toy referred to as a gun others see it as a low power gun. The state sees weapon.

But I fully agree. About the dumbest thing they could do - optics very are bad.

They’re lucky some trigger happy cop didn’t see them with a gun sticking out the car window
You don't have to be trigger happy. Someone is shooting at any armed person, even a paintball gun and they risk returned fire with REAL bullets. Now there's no civilian legal concealed carry in NJ. But there are probably 25 or more agencies in NJ who allow their barely trained staff to carry off duty. If they are the victim maybe they make a "poor choice" return fire and kill someone.

Last edited:
Given the fact that COVID protocols are still in place, and grand jury proceedings are not easily obtained, and given that thankfully no one was seriously hurt, and that the incident can easily be explained as a prank gone wrong, I think it is more likely than not that the charges will be remanded to Piscataway Municipal Court for disposition as disorderly persons offenses, where a fine and community service will be meted out, and many mea culpas will be uttered by Chris and Max. Under that scenario, I think the suspensions could be lifted. Hopefully, the prosecutor will expedite the review and hopefully remand the case so that it can be resolved well before 11/4.

Pray for this.

Reactions: Antnee79
A few years ago I came out of my house in the morning and saw paint balls had blasted my house and car. I was initially worried I’d have to get insurance involved and deal with the hassle of getting the car repainted or whatever. Then I got the garden hose and sprayed it off without a trace of “paint.” Turns out those pellet balls or whatever they are seem to be the equivalent of sugar water. Hopefully that’s what Max and Chris did, or something similarly harmless.

In the police academy we used "simunition" which was paintball bullets that were made out of colored detergent. You threw your shirt in the washing machine and it cleaned your clothes for you.

Or, how would the people who keep downplaying the severity were the ones who were hit. Being hit by a paintball is not fun. I know. Hurts like hell.

Oh I'd be pissed if I were the target. But in reflection I wouldn't want to see their careers or lives ruined if it was just a couple of dummies doing dumb shit. And based on what I know of the family I expect it was a dumb idea from immature kids. I'd get over it with an apology. A suggestion to the court to go easy on them and wash wash wash a lot of cars.

Oh I'd be pissed if I were the target. But in reflection I wouldn't want to see their careers or lives ruined if it was just a couple of dummies doing dumb shit. And based on what I know of the family I expect it was a dumb idea from immature kids. I'd get over it with an apology. A suggestion to the court to go easy on them and wash wash wash a lot of cars.
If this situation involved PSU players would you have the same sentiments, or maybe not?

I'm guessing this is worse than just a prank. Aggravated assault sounds like a "victim" contacted police. If it was a prank why are the police involved?
It could have been more than just a prank.Think about the seriousness of paint balling someone with a green hit when they are wearing brown.Devastating clash of colors. Give them the maximum.

Reactions: JRZEER
This does not sound good for reducing charges.
Claiming ignorance of not knowing someone could be seriously injured I don't think will fly here.
Bleeding sounds like a game changer for trying to get reducing charges.

The other side of that is when I was young almost every result of pranks and play resulted in some bleeding.

If they didn't use a paintball "gun" and say just threw snowballs really hard causing the same injuries would there be much of anything made of this?

And yes I know the "gun" triggers all sorts of legal issues. But the actual damage, if caused another way, would be a nothing burger.

Not excusing but trying to add some perspective.

In the police academy we used "simunition" which was paintball bullets that were made out of colored detergent. You threw your shirt in the washing machine and it cleaned your clothes for you.

Did you use the standard paintball guns available everywhere or where they special police simunition guns?

JHC.... clearly a very stupid and reckless act but always.. getting carried away.
Just make them stand there in their jockstraps and goggles and let the 3 victims take 10 shots each.

Next time for fun they should just go to NYC and attack cops, or loot, or break windows, or set stuff in on fire .. nothing would come if it. Poor choice.

Reactions: thegock
The other side of that is when I was young almost every result of pranks and play resulted in some bleeding.

If they didn't use a paintball "gun" and say just threw snowballs really hard causing the same injuries would there be much of anything made of this?

And yes I know the "gun" triggers all sorts of legal issues. But the actual damage, if caused another way, would be a nothing burger.

Comparing a close range, drive by paint ball shooting to throwing a snowball?

Really?

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
Lost in all this is that Max and Chris won't get to play in the Big House, which is something the players like to have on their resumes. Shitshow all the way around.

Reactions: NotInRHouse

Most pranks end up having real world consequences when someone gets hurt

edit—especially when recipients of said prank are strangers

Lost in all this is that Max and Chris won't get to play in the Big House, which is something the players like to have on their resumes. Shitshow all the way around.
They made their own bed. Shed no tears.
Hopefully they grow up from this and not get into more trouble in the future

Comparing a close range, drive by paint ball shooting to throwing a snowball?

Really?

We're the injuries much different in what I described? If so, the rest is mostly anti-gun hysteria.

They made a bad decision using the paintball "gun" not in injuries inflicted.

Like I said just providing a little perspective.

Oh and you should see how hard the big guys in my neighborhood threw snowballs.

Soft kids today probably think they were trying to be murdered.

I disagree as yours makes zero sense at all. It's just an attempt by you to make an excuse for their behavior and to downgrade the assault into a "prank".
So they were just driving by. See friends and just happen to have paint ball guns at the ready in less time then it takes to drive by them in a car?? Please!! And it was 10pm so it was dark out too.
Right. Before you fire a paintball gun you need to attach a CO2 tank and load paintballs into a hopper. It takes some time. So either they went out planning to pop a few off at some friends, or they just happened to be riding around with a fully equipped paintball gun. Foolish and reckless either way.

Reactions: Rokodesh
This is complete nonsense . No one was hurt. This was the stupid RUPD campus police . They should have taken Melton and Long into custody , made them sweat a little bit and called schiano to come pick them up . Release them with some disorderly persons offense and everyone goes on their merry way. It’s going to amount to that anyway .

This is a complete waste of taxpayer dollars, probably by a few rogue campus cops . The arresting officers should get shut out of any overtime opportunities that may be available via rutgers sporting events.
You can’t get away with shit like that anymore. Imagine the scandal if somehow it was uncovered?

Schiano will make an example of them, and rightfully so. Very selfish of them.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Incredible poor judgement. Hopefully they learn something and the message gets home to the teammates. This will cost them in many ways but hopefully it all gets settled without ending their careers.

at least it wasn’t Korsak

Reactions: RUDead
Really dumb, but how do these guys get aggravated assault when every weekend dozens of videos come out showing massive football fan melees where 5+ grown men will be throwing haymakers, knocking out innocent people, and damaging personal belongings and nothing ever comes of it.

Incredible poor judgement. Hopefully they learn something and the message gets home to the teammates. This will cost them in many ways but hopefully it all gets settled without ending their careers.

at least it wasn’t Korsak
It won't end their careers. Could end their Rutgers careers though.

Really dumb, but how do these guys get aggravated assault when every weekend dozens of videos come out showing massive football fan melees where 5+ grown men will be throwing haymakers, knocking out innocent people, and damaging personal belongings and nothing ever comes of it.
Two completely different situations. Also easier to spot a slow moving car on Livingston campus with paintballs being shot out the window than 5 fans in a sea of 80,000

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT