ADVERTISEMENT

McDonald’s AA Game - Tuesday April 2, 9pm ESPN

Small sample but starting to think Dylan will be the better college player and Ace the better pro.
These exhibitions tell you very little about these players. The guards control the ball so can be tough for guys like Ace to show what they can do, and then guys like Ian Jackson, who are great playground players, always end up taking over games like this.

Reactions: Scangg and DirtyRU
I set my recording, but it ended before that last play with a few seconds left. What happened on the last play? Did they put the ball in Harper hands?

I get the impression Ace is used to having to do everything for his high school team (which isn't that good, relatively speaking) and as a result forces things too much. He has a lot to learn, but the ceiling is unlimited for him. So excited to see him develop this season with the benefit of some college coaching.

Dylan has been so damn impressive all season, a man amongst boys. I thought his leadership showed up today, he seemed to be the one talking, directing on the court.

I watched this whole game with a shit-eating grin on my face. Pinch me.

I get the impression Ace is used to having to do everything for his high school team (which isn't that good, relatively speaking) and as a result forces things too much. He has a lot to learn, but the ceiling is unlimited for him. So excited to see him develop this season with the benefit of some college coaching.

Dylan has been so damn impressive all season, a man amongst boys. I thought his leadership showed up today, he seemed to be the one talking, directing on the court.

The few actual game footage I've seen of Ace, shot selection was probably his biggest weakness

Reactions: fatsam98
Flagg did not impress me at all.

To be fair, it’s one game. Queen looked fantastic.

Between Dylan and Ace, I keep going back and forth on these guys. Yesterday I would have said Ace is dropping 20 PPG, tonight I say Dylan will.

I think what’s scary about this duo is they’re clearly both capable. They can share the load. When one guy is off the other can take over. How many games will both guys have an off night?

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Ace will definitely need to put on muscle in short order and I think generally it may take a bit of time for him to be effective. Dylan:Whoa!

It will depend on matchups for sure. Against a guard his athleticism will be an equalizer. Presume he isn’t slotted for the 4.

Ace will definitely need to put on muscle in short order and I think generally it may take a bit of time for him to be effective. Dylan:Whoa!
I don’t know about putting on weight as I think it’s pretty clear that Ace needs to play the 3 for most of his minutes, but it does look like he needs to improve his stamina. Hopefully a few months of good nutrition and conditioning will do the trick.

The McDonalds All American game always reminds me of the line Kevin Bannon said when he was coaching Rider and they were going to play Kentucky in the NCAA Tournament. "They are all McDonalds All Americans. Our kids eat at McDonalds"
Did he get that joke from Jacov Smirnov?

Reactions: bac2therac
So many good things observed from watching the game yesterday. The one take away down the stretch though is that adding experience on the court would be huge. Both Dylan and Ace seemed like they could use some veterans around them in a tight game to maintain poise. I would love to get the pair of Princeton super seniors. As much as I’d love to land a premium big, I think Ogbole can deliver Shaq Doorson level play and that might be good enough if we can bring in another body who is good enough not to be a liability on D at the rim with Somerville. Need all 15 fouls down there.

Nobody thinks he can’t be point. This is an AAU style up and down game though. College game flow is very different. He’s a super scorer and it may end up being more of an asset with someone feeding him so he can focus most of his attention on scoring. His HS coach chose to use him that way and it clearly paid off for everyone - he was player of the year.
The NBA all-star game is more of an AAU game. There was more defensive effort in this game compared to games of this nature.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
The NBA all-star game is more of an AAU game. There was more defensive effort in this game compared to games of this nature.

There was more defense and ball rotation than I expected, but regardless - it was still a game where every kid was trying to showcase themselves. It’s different from true team dynamics.

When you have a kid of Dylan’s scoring ability, many opposing teams will attempt to double cover him. The easiest way to put an end to that is have a kid who can burn you for that decision bring up the ball. J Will is a great choice for that (see his first few games before defenses focused on him). Bosco had that with the Howard kid, and that’s probably why they chose that approach rather than just running everything through Dylan. Dylan has as good off ball vision as he does on. If teams focus on him, he can and will drive defenders away from the ball opening up the lane for guys who can win one on one battles. That’s how you put an end to double coverage and emphasis. Not by hoping Dylan can break double teams bringing up the ball and beat everyone in iso.

It will depend on matchups for sure. Against a guard his athleticism will be an equalizer. Presume he isn’t slotted for the 4.
The way the game is played now, he can play the 4. He will get you rebounds and he can be a shot blocker. As someone said in a previous thread the best team of pike era essentially started 4 guards with McConnell, baker, mulcahy and Ron Harper jr...and you can bring in some portal guys for teams that may be a bad matchup for him..

There was more defense and ball rotation than I expected, but regardless - it was still a game where every kid was trying to showcase themselves. It’s different from true team dynamics.

When you have a kid of Dylan’s scoring ability, many opposing teams will attempt to double cover him. The easiest way to put an end to that is have a kid who can burn you for that decision bring up the ball. J Will is a great choice for that (see his first few games before defenses focused on him). Bosco had that with the Howard kid, and that’s probably why they chose that approach rather than just running everything through Dylan. Dylan has as good off ball vision as he does on. If teams focus on him, he can and will drive defenders away from the ball opening up the lane for guys who can win one on one battles. That’s how you put an end to double coverage and emphasis. Not by hoping Dylan can break double teams bringing up the ball and beat everyone in iso.
Gonna be hard to double him on the perimeter with jwill and alocco out there as well. Lol

Remember he was matched 1v1 with Flagg on both ends.
Yeah I saw an article about how he was going at flagg in the scrimmage they had. Lol looks like he wants to be no. 1. Last time flagg hit the game winner on him. Actually can't remember if he was the one defending but flagg hit the game winner to beat Dylan and ace this summer. Ace dominated that game individually though...keep putting in work and let the game come to you because all of the talent is there. No need to force it.

I wonder if Ace is smart like a fox! He knew Jamichael was already coming to RU before he suddenly commited. Maybe...he also had a real strong (insider 😉?) feeling that Dylan was going to come to RU, too! This dude 'drafted' his own two future PG teammates! Maybe Coach Pike should ask Ace for help with portal recruiting lol. Love this thread...I missed the game last night...thanks to all for all the posts. Go RU!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT